Betrayalton. Polygon just tears Microsoft XBONE a new one

  • 135 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Edited by W1NGMAN- (9960 posts) -

Hoping for a Kinectless One by the end of the year that way I can save money towards buying what I really want with that extra 100 bucks.

#102 Posted by True_Gamer_ (6197 posts) -
@Midnightshade29 said:

@clone01 said:

@millerlight89 said:

@clone01 said:

@millerlight89 said:

Why are cows so jelly of the One.

No doubt. Its all they ever talk about.

It's ridiculous. Yes, gaming on both I can see that the PS4 is stronger, but the cows are still really jealous over something. They never talk about the ps4 games, just the xbone.

What's silly is that they keep on doing these power comparisons. I think most non-fanboys would agree that the PS4 is the more powerful machine. But then the PC, which smokes both of them conveniently never gets mention.

Why should the pc get a mention... its a given. As its an open hardward platform, meaning if you have the cash you can have the most powerful device in the world. PC will always trump console and always will. I laugh at the fools who said last gen consoles were more powerful than pcs in 2006... thats plain ridiculous non-sense.

November 2005

No PC GPU could match the 360,

This gen both MS and Sony (to a lesser extent but still) went Nintendo style on consolites rears.

The Xenos was a beast and the 360 costed $715 to manufacture.

I can bet that without kinect the bone costs like $200 with the cheap trash CPU and GPU they shoved in.

#103 Edited by Suppaman100 (3944 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@bforrester420 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@-Damien- said:

@StormyJoe said:

@-Damien-: LOL! Another Damien post. Trolling at it's worst. You should have your account banned.

lol so much butthurt

I'm just the messenger here, microsoft shills themselves wrote that article and questioned MS decisions

Really? I am not the dumbass who posted an opinion piece like it was fact. Why don't you just start making threads about SW links?

This Polygon article may be an opinion piece, but it's an opinion that's seemingly shared by the majority.

Yeah,,, a majority of Sony fanboys.

Yeah...no. Nobody can deny facts.

PS4 is stronger. FACT.

Who the hell is talking about hardware? Go back to the kids table and let the adults talk here...

So you're denying that multiplats are superior on PS4? Because that was what Polygon stated.

And this "opinion" is shared by most. Well atleast rational people.

#104 Posted by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

@W1NGMAN- said:

Hoping for a Kinectless One by the end of the year that way I can save money towards buying what I really want with that extra 100 bucks.

This Kinectless One with Quantum Break pack in(assuming it makes 2014) will sell gangbusters(if they game turns out to be good in the end). Not to mention by the end of the year the Xbone will have had a considerable price drop.

#105 Edited by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@bforrester420 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@-Damien- said:

@StormyJoe said:

@-Damien-: LOL! Another Damien post. Trolling at it's worst. You should have your account banned.

lol so much butthurt

I'm just the messenger here, microsoft shills themselves wrote that article and questioned MS decisions

Really? I am not the dumbass who posted an opinion piece like it was fact. Why don't you just start making threads about SW links?

This Polygon article may be an opinion piece, but it's an opinion that's seemingly shared by the majority.

Yeah,,, a majority of Sony fanboys.

Yeah...no. Nobody can deny facts.

PS4 is stronger. FACT.

Who the hell is talking about hardware? Go back to the kids table and let the adults talk here...

So you're denying that multiplats are superior on PS4? Because that was what Polygon stated.

And this "opinion" is shared by most. Well atleast rational people.

Grapefruits are generally larger than oranges.

That comment has about as much to do with this thread topic as your comment.

#106 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

I'm still lost on the "confusing UI" of x1. Are people retarded en masse? It is so simple to use in my experience, as is ps4, and wiiu.

I am equally lost. Its simple with both a controller and voice commands. Im not sure what he meant about the need to "learn" the voice commands.

Xbox....go to...."______".

Xbox go back, go home,

Those are the commands I use most frequently and yet I would never claim "Learning" was necessary.

#107 Posted by cainetao11 (17741 posts) -

@always_explicit:

Maybe he's never had a pet dog or cat?

#108 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit:

Maybe he's never had a pet dog or cat?

Haha ,maybe so....

I mean I am fully prepared to admit that navigating the UI with hand gestures is probably more hassle than its worth but to criticise the voice commands when they are so intuitive just makes this guy sound ridiculous. Of course it gives the cows something to moo about. Better than confronting the lack of games and interesting features of their console of choice.

#109 Edited by cainetao11 (17741 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit:

Maybe he's never had a pet dog or cat?

Haha ,maybe so....

I mean I am fully prepared to admit that navigating the UI with hand gestures is probably more hassle than its worth but to criticise the voice commands when they are so intuitive just makes this guy sound ridiculous. Of course it gives the cows something to moo about. Better than confronting the lack of games and interesting features of their console of choice.

LOL. I was at a "gamers get together" so to speak at a buddy's in LI, NY, and we had a full room, but His Kinect could recognize and catch his voice in it. Granted we weren't jamming music and dancing, but conversations were going on. It is better than my original Kinect. I am buying one tomorrow and then a PS4 next month with my next check. Looking forward to it.

#110 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit said:

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit:

Maybe he's never had a pet dog or cat?

Haha ,maybe so....

I mean I am fully prepared to admit that navigating the UI with hand gestures is probably more hassle than its worth but to criticise the voice commands when they are so intuitive just makes this guy sound ridiculous. Of course it gives the cows something to moo about. Better than confronting the lack of games and interesting features of their console of choice.

LOL. I was at a "gamers get together" so to speak at a buddy's in LI, NY, and we had a full room, but His Kinect could recognize and catch his voice in it. Granted we weren't jamming music and dancing, but conversations were going on. It is better than my original Kinect. I am buying one tomorrow and then a PS4 next month with my next check. Looking forward to it.

Il be jumping on the PS4 bandwagon when the games arrive. I am not really into the Playstation exclusives born out of the PS3 era but would purchase one instantly if Crash bandicoot made an appearance. I like those old school playstation games but they seem to cater towards the more movie-esque games. Not my cup really.

Real shame your missing the titanfall beta dude its an absolute blast. Totally recommend picking that up.

#111 Posted by cainetao11 (17741 posts) -

@always_explicit:

Dude I wish!!!!, My laptop is crap from basic in 2010. I cant run shit on it. I am going X1 tomorrow, then PS4 in March. Then a new laptop, that I hope can play some games as well. Any suggestions?

#112 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit:

Dude I wish!!!!, My laptop is crap from basic in 2010. I cant run shit on it. I am going X1 tomorrow, then PS4 in March. Then a new laptop, that I hope can play some games as well. Any suggestions?

Pc I honestly couldnt tell you. The only games I play on my PC are the total war series...which isnt for everyone.

Well I have been playing Assassins creed black flag pretty relentlessly...its good fun, great stealth and lots to explore and unlock meaning it will tide you over until titanfall in march. I also have DR3 and FIFA...DR3 isnt revolutionary or anything but its great fun...I also have FIFA which is the best FIFA to date if you like football games.

If theres a bundle with AC:BF and Dead rising 3 I would say you cant go too far wrong. In all honesty I have played the Titanfall BETA an awful lot so...bare in mind whatever games you buy tomorrow might not get much of a look in after its release haha.

#113 Edited by cainetao11 (17741 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit:

Dude I wish!!!!, My laptop is crap from basic in 2010. I cant run shit on it. I am going X1 tomorrow, then PS4 in March. Then a new laptop, that I hope can play some games as well. Any suggestions?

Pc I honestly couldnt tell you. The only games I play on my PC are the total war series...which isnt for everyone.

Well I have been playing Assassins creed black flag pretty relentlessly...its good fun, great stealth and lots to explore and unlock meaning it will tide you over until titanfall in march. I also have DR3 and FIFA...DR3 isnt revolutionary or anything but its great fun...I also have FIFA which is the best FIFA to date if you like football games.

If theres a bundle with AC:BF and Dead rising 3 I would say you cant go too far wrong. In all honesty I have played the Titanfall BETA an awful lot so...bare in mind whatever games you buy tomorrow might not get much of a look in after its release haha.

Thanks. DR3 was a sure buy anyway because I loved the first two. FIFA, I only played a lot with an Irish buddy (i'm Irish American) that explained to me as we played on PS2 years ago. Good fun. I am a hockey, American Football, Boxing fan-screw Mayweather). Was looking at AC black flag with DR3. Laptop I'm looking at Newegg, and ibuypower to see what to do.

#115 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit said:

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit:

Dude I wish!!!!, My laptop is crap from basic in 2010. I cant run shit on it. I am going X1 tomorrow, then PS4 in March. Then a new laptop, that I hope can play some games as well. Any suggestions?

Pc I honestly couldnt tell you. The only games I play on my PC are the total war series...which isnt for everyone.

Well I have been playing Assassins creed black flag pretty relentlessly...its good fun, great stealth and lots to explore and unlock meaning it will tide you over until titanfall in march. I also have DR3 and FIFA...DR3 isnt revolutionary or anything but its great fun...I also have FIFA which is the best FIFA to date if you like football games.

If theres a bundle with AC:BF and Dead rising 3 I would say you cant go too far wrong. In all honesty I have played the Titanfall BETA an awful lot so...bare in mind whatever games you buy tomorrow might not get much of a look in after its release haha.

Thanks. DR3 was a sure buy anyway because I loved the first two. FIFA, I only played a lot with an Irish buddy (i'm Irish American) that explained to me as we played on PS2 years ago. Good fun. I am a hockey, American Football, Boxing fan-screw Mayweather). Was looking at AC black flag with DR3. Laptop I'm looking at Newegg, and ibuypower to see what to do.

I think those are pretty good choices to be honest. On the subject of boxing....Cannot wait to see a Fight night game on these next gen consoles. Should be amazing. Still got my fingers crossed for kinect integration but only if its done properly.

#116 Edited by cainetao11 (17741 posts) -

@always_explicit:

Maybe Kinect integration for corner time? Being able to use an enswell, or close a cut? Or voice commands to hype your fighter up?

#117 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit:

Maybe Kinect integration for corner time? Being able to use an enswell, or close a cut? Or voice commands to hype your fighter up?

Those are some great ideas actually!

#118 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

We all know that the cam is slow and has no real use in games. Even if there was a spy cam free sku the xflop would still be weaker.

#119 Edited by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@xhawk27 said:

So nobody is buying the PS4 camera? And to think of all the work Sony did to make it work with the controller.

and nobody is buying the xbox one because of the Kinect,

and to think of all the work ms did to make it work

3.5 million have bought Kinect you fool. How many PS4 cameras have Sony sold?

#120 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@xhawk27 said:

So nobody is buying the PS4 camera? And to think of all the work Sony did to make it work with the controller.

and nobody is buying the xbox one because of the Kinect,

and to think of all the work ms did to make it work

3.5 million have bought Kinect you fool. How many PS4 cameras have Sony sold?

You mean 3.2 million, it's nowhere near 3.5 million.

Sony has probably sold more cameras considering I can't seem to find them anywhere and there are approximately 5.3 million PS4s out there.

#121 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@xhawk27 said:

So nobody is buying the PS4 camera? And to think of all the work Sony did to make it work with the controller.

and nobody is buying the xbox one because of the Kinect,

and to think of all the work ms did to make it work

3.5 million have bought Kinect you fool. How many PS4 cameras have Sony sold?

and that's all xbots bought was a Kinect,

because the bone is useless as a gaming system.

lol even the new update makes the screen go black,

so lemmings don't have to see how badly they got fucked

#122 Edited by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

@xhawk27 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@xhawk27 said:

So nobody is buying the PS4 camera? And to think of all the work Sony did to make it work with the controller.

and nobody is buying the xbox one because of the Kinect,

and to think of all the work ms did to make it work

3.5 million have bought Kinect you fool. How many PS4 cameras have Sony sold?

You mean 3.2 million, it's nowhere near 3.5 million.

Sony has probably sold more cameras considering I can't seem to find them anywhere and there are approximately 5.3 million PS4s out there.

You think Sony is going to sell the PS4 camera to even 1/3 of the installed base. Hahahahahaha

#123 Posted by cainetao11 (17741 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@cainetao11 said:

@always_explicit:

Maybe Kinect integration for corner time? Being able to use an enswell, or close a cut? Or voice commands to hype your fighter up?

Those are some great ideas actually!

I agree, strangely!! Mini games in between rounds would be cool.

#124 Posted by jsolidus (165 posts) -

waiting for a kinect free x1 is like waiting for a blu-ray free ps3..History really does repeat its self in these boards

#125 Edited by Big_Pecks (5359 posts) -

The Kinect meltdown during the Super Bowl is hilarious.

#126 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@jsolidus said:

waiting for a kinect free x1 is like waiting for a blu-ray free ps3..History really does repeat its self in these boards

how the fuck is a camera like a disc drive?

if you take out the disc drive you cant play games (for some)

you don't even need the Kinect for games,

is it going to have 1080p movies?

what about a firmware update for 7.1 audio of 3d?

dumb analogy,

try harder

#127 Edited by jsolidus (165 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@jsolidus said:

waiting for a kinect free x1 is like waiting for a blu-ray free ps3..History really does repeat its self in these boards

how the fuck is a camera like a disc drive?

if you take out the disc drive you cant play games (for some)

you don't even need the Kinect for games,

is it going to have 1080p movies?

what about a firmware update for 7.1 audio of 3d?

dumb analogy,

try harder

actually its very similar, your just not thinking. the only reason lems want a kinect free system is because the ps4 is drowning the x1 in sales. However before launch and even when way back when kinect was launched. Lems acted like kinect was a holy grail in the game world and how great it was to shout a the tv and other gimmicky bs. They just want something to blame for the x1 not selling yet refuse to look at M$ who is more to blame on the x1 dismay sales and appeal. Its the same back when ps3 launched, everyone( mainly lems) was saying bluray wasnt necessary, it should be taken out, and this is why the ps3 isnt selling, etc. check past post if you dont believe me.however the difference is sony move to put blu-ray in was a good move. as the gen moved ahead and games became bigger, blu ray became something you had to have. we dont know what kinect will do in future but lems are the reason its on the x1. it was so great then for the 360 and it wasnt that expensive then, why now is it not so great? I willing to bet if the x1 was selling more than the ps4 lems would be bowing down the kinect like they did before.

M$ isnt going to take out the kinect from the system unless they get majorly desperate. the kinect is pretty much part of the x1, M$ themselves have stated this and aren't getting rid of the kinect. Lems are just whining over something they once loved and gloated about because the beloved x1 is far behind the ps4, its quite sad really...

#128 Posted by 67gt500 (4621 posts) -

While the new Kinect integration ( or, more accurately, lack thereof) is underwhelming to date, I can see it becoming a more integral part of the Xbone gaming experience as this New Generation finds its legs... lets be patient, and less dismissive...

#129 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@jsolidus said:

@killatwill15 said:

@jsolidus said:

waiting for a kinect free x1 is like waiting for a blu-ray free ps3..History really does repeat its self in these boards

how the fuck is a camera like a disc drive?

if you take out the disc drive you cant play games (for some)

you don't even need the Kinect for games,

is it going to have 1080p movies?

what about a firmware update for 7.1 audio of 3d?

dumb analogy,

try harder

actually its very similar, your just not thinking. the only reason lems want a kinect free system is because the ps4 is drowning the x1 in sales. However before launch and even when way back when kinect was launched. Lems acted like kinect was a holy grail in the game world and how great it was to shout a the tv and other gimmicky bs. They just want something to blame for the x1 not selling yet refuse to look at M$ who is more to blame on the x1 dismay sales and appeal. Its the same back when ps3 launched, everyone( mainly lems) was saying bluray wasnt necessary, it should be taken out, and this is why the ps3 isnt selling, etc. check past post if you dont believe me.however the difference is sony move to put blu-ray in was a good move. as the gen moved ahead and games became bigger, blu ray became something you had to have. we dont know what kinect will do in future but lems are the reason its on the x1. it was so great then for the 360 and it wasnt that expensive then, why now is it not so great? I willing to bet if the x1 was selling more than the ps4 lems would be bowing down the kinect like they did before.

M$ isnt going to take out the kinect from the system unless they get majorly desperate. the kinect is pretty much part of the x1, M$ themselves have stated this and aren't getting rid of the kinect. Lems are just whining over something they once loved and gloated about because the beloved x1 is far behind the ps4, its quite sad really...

you aren't thinking,

people truly don't need the Kinect,

the Blu-ray was setting a standard,

Kinect wont be setting one,

since every device since the Gameboy color camera has had a camera.

and what you are saying is forfeit,

because Microsoft will release a kinectless sku.

because the Kinect was never meant for games,

and if lems were the driving focus of the Kinect.

than the xbox one would've launched with halo 5,

gears 4,

fable 4 and perfect dark 3,

and the hardware would've smoked ps4.

but what I said about the Kinect applies for xbone.

it was never meant for gamers.

#130 Posted by Pray_to_me (2875 posts) -

I don't know why kinect isn't like a windows device yet. I thought it might be cool like some minority report shit. The real deal is that Microsoft should have been spending money making compelling kinect games instead of timed exclusive dlc shit.

#131 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

@jsolidus said:

@killatwill15 said:

@jsolidus said:

waiting for a kinect free x1 is like waiting for a blu-ray free ps3..History really does repeat its self in these boards

how the fuck is a camera like a disc drive?

if you take out the disc drive you cant play games (for some)

you don't even need the Kinect for games,

is it going to have 1080p movies?

what about a firmware update for 7.1 audio of 3d?

dumb analogy,

try harder

actually its very similar, your just not thinking. the only reason lems want a kinect free system is because the ps4 is drowning the x1 in sales. However before launch and even when way back when kinect was launched. Lems acted like kinect was a holy grail in the game world and how great it was to shout a the tv and other gimmicky bs. They just want something to blame for the x1 not selling yet refuse to look at M$ who is more to blame on the x1 dismay sales and appeal. Its the same back when ps3 launched, everyone( mainly lems) was saying bluray wasnt necessary, it should be taken out, and this is why the ps3 isnt selling, etc. check past post if you dont believe me.however the difference is sony move to put blu-ray in was a good move. as the gen moved ahead and games became bigger, blu ray became something you had to have. we dont know what kinect will do in future but lems are the reason its on the x1. it was so great then for the 360 and it wasnt that expensive then, why now is it not so great? I willing to bet if the x1 was selling more than the ps4 lems would be bowing down the kinect like they did before.

M$ isnt going to take out the kinect from the system unless they get majorly desperate. the kinect is pretty much part of the x1, M$ themselves have stated this and aren't getting rid of the kinect. Lems are just whining over something they once loved and gloated about because the beloved x1 is far behind the ps4, its quite sad really...

I dont actually see many lems wishing for a kinect free bundle. Its mostly undecided people or cows who want to see it removed. As an X1 owner and first time kinect user I do actually value its inclusion. The lack of software to show off its ability at launch is criminal and MS dropped the ball on that one. However between the UI navigation and the kinect sports demo I have a great deal of faith in the technology. It seems obvious to me that MS have plans for it. I see no reason why they would include it (at extra production cost) if they did not foresee it as a system/software selling device.

#132 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

1.) Microsoft has let everyone down by developing Kinect 2 and not building a great game that highlights how it can be useful in core games for core gamers. Kinect Sports isn't it. If you're going to ask people to pay $500 for a GAMING console, +$100 of which is for a motion tracking camera, show us why and how GAMERS benefit. Skype and UI navigation are NOT enough. Worst part is that there has been no piece of software shown or rumored to be in development that in any way utilizes this camera for gaming beyond sports and fitness. Sorry, that's not acceptable for a $100 pack-in.

2.) If they weren't going to seriously step up their game with Kinect 2's gaming software, they could have launched at $399 or launched at $449 with a more powerful piece of hardware than Sony. Let that sink in as we boot our mostly 720p games for the next 7 years.

3.) The hand gesture thing interrupting TV happened to me just last night. I was watching House of Cards on Netflix and was eating a sandwich. I froze like, "wtf is that?" with my fork still next to my mouth. I moved to put my hand down and Kinect interpreted that as me asking it to move forward on the show's timeline 30 minutes and start there. It shouldn't happen, period. Author isn't the only one.

4.) I haven't had the same problems the author had with Kinect's voice controls. Usually if Kinect fails to get a command right, it's because I'm simply not speaking loud enough to be heard over the volume of the TV (or I'm just not loud enough in general). When I speak up, Kinect is at probably 99% for me. There is some real wonkiness with the voice controls, though. It's not always clear when you have to say "Xbox..." before issuing the next command. Like, sometimes when it says it's listening (after saying Xbox), you want to say something that would ordinarily require you to put it in the listening mode before saying the rest like, "volume up" or "go back". You always can't and I think that's something they should look at simplifying. That said, if I'm not gaming, my controller isn't on. I can navigate everything perfectly fine with the voice controls and do so daily.

The only time voice control failed me was for the Super Bowl. It couldn't figure out what "Super Bowl XCIIV" or whatever the roman numerals were. I tried everything. Saying the letters, the number of the Superbowl...couldn't get it to recognize I wanted to watch that show on that channel. I also couldn't get it to just turn to the name of the channel. I'm not sure if there's a way to just tell it to go to a channel number, but that was the only time.

All that said...

I still like Kinect 2.0. It's a nice piece of technology and I love getting around my Xbox One using voice controls now that I know almost all of the commands. It still has some usability issues to work out and hopefully they will be addressed. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it. But none of that changes the fact that it is inexcusable (disastrous, really) that they could neither create nor encourage the creation of a high-quality game that justifies its existence and forced inclusion in a GAMING system's box, for a premium price. If you can't think of and create a compelling gaming experience using your unique peripheral, how can you expect anyone else to, Microsoft? No, Kinect Sports isn't good enough. Not even slightly. And as a result, Microsoft is endanger of losing the market share they spent so much time and effort growing over the last 12 years. And you'd better believe they can lose it 2x as fast as they got it. Ask Nintendo and Sony, both of whom have lost massive amounts of their player base do to similar poor decisions made at the hardware design phase. Market share is hard to build, but very fuckin easy to lose.

I give Microsoft until E3 to demonstrate to the world why Kinect 2.0 is in every Xbox One box and why it's a must-have for gamers (other than streaming on Twitch). If they can't make that argument well enough for us all to be convinced (well those of us who are manticores), expect a Kinectless Xbox One at a lower price before Autumn.

#133 Posted by MrXboxOne (743 posts) -

Stopped reading after the "confusing UI" comment.

#134 Edited by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

I've always thought of Kinect as a non-gaming instrument - and frankly something that shouldn't be used for gaming.

But they do make good points, hand gestures are useless and the console only seems to pick up on your hands when you don't want it to.

Largely though, Polygon seems to think Kinect is a video game controller -- which it is not, in any way, nor should it be.

Maybe they seem to think it's a controller because Microsoft insists on using it as one?

#135 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions said:

1.) Microsoft has let everyone down by developing Kinect 2 and not building a great game that highlights how it can be useful in core games for core gamers. Kinect Sports isn't it. If you're going to ask people to pay $500 for a GAMING console, +$100 of which is for a motion tracking camera, show us why and how GAMERS benefit. Skype and UI navigation are NOT enough. Worst part is that there has been no piece of software shown or rumored to be in development that in any way utilizes this camera for gaming beyond sports and fitness. Sorry, that's not acceptable for a $100 pack-in.

2.) If they weren't going to seriously step up their game with Kinect 2's gaming software, they could have launched at $399 or launched at $449 with a more powerful piece of hardware than Sony. Let that sink in as we boot our mostly 720p games for the next 7 years.

3.) The hand gesture thing interrupting TV happened to me just last night. I was watching House of Cards on Netflix and was eating a sandwich. I froze like, "wtf is that?" with my fork still next to my mouth. I moved to put my hand down and Kinect interpreted that as me asking it to move forward on the show's timeline 30 minutes and start there. It shouldn't happen, period. Author isn't the only one.

4.) I haven't had the same problems the author had with Kinect's voice controls. Usually if Kinect fails to get a command right, it's because I'm simply not speaking loud enough to be heard over the volume of the TV (or I'm just not loud enough in general). When I speak up, Kinect is at probably 99% for me. There is some real wonkiness with the voice controls, though. It's not always clear when you have to say "Xbox..." before issuing the next command. Like, sometimes when it says it's listening (after saying Xbox), you want to say something that would ordinarily require you to put it in the listening mode before saying the rest like, "volume up" or "go back". You always can't and I think that's something they should look at simplifying. That said, if I'm not gaming, my controller isn't on. I can navigate everything perfectly fine with the voice controls and do so daily.

The only time voice control failed me was for the Super Bowl. It couldn't figure out what "Super Bowl XCIIV" or whatever the roman numerals were. I tried everything. Saying the letters, the number of the Superbowl...couldn't get it to recognize I wanted to watch that show on that channel. I also couldn't get it to just turn to the name of the channel. I'm not sure if there's a way to just tell it to go to a channel number, but that was the only time.

All that said...

I still like Kinect 2.0. It's a nice piece of technology and I love getting around my Xbox One using voice controls now that I know almost all of the commands. It still has some usability issues to work out and hopefully they will be addressed. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it. But none of that changes the fact that it is inexcusable (disastrous, really) that they could neither create nor encourage the creation of a high-quality game that justifies its existence and forced inclusion in a GAMING system's box, for a premium price. If you can't think of and create a compelling gaming experience using your unique peripheral, how can you expect anyone else to, Microsoft? No, Kinect Sports isn't good enough. Not even slightly. And as a result, Microsoft is endanger of losing the market share they spent so much time and effort growing over the last 12 years. And you'd better believe they can lose it 2x as fast as they got it. Ask Nintendo and Sony, both of whom have lost massive amounts of their player base do to similar poor decisions made at the hardware design phase. Market share is hard to build, but very fuckin easy to lose.

I give Microsoft until E3 to demonstrate to the world why Kinect 2.0 is in every Xbox One box and why it's a must-have for gamers (other than streaming on Twitch). If they can't make that argument well enough for us all to be convinced (well those of us who are manticores), expect a Kinectless Xbox One at a lower price before Autumn.

For me, the XB1 is more than just a "gaming console".

#136 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151458 posts) -

@gamemediator said:

I feel sorry for anybody who actually eats this bullshit up.

The ignorance is baffling!

Kinect isn't for everybody, most gamers dislike motion controls... but do they have to shit all over Microsoft for actually innovating gaming technology... because weather you like it or not, its the future... Kinect is just another step in that direction.

Not to mention the ignorance of the Xbox one hardware. Just because Microsoft isn't appealing to the gamers wants (pretty graphics mainly), lets all hate that company and praise the all mighty PS4, which actually isn't anything new in terms of hardware and technology. How will a gaming industry evolve if we don't invest in new things? People don't like change, until its popularized.

MS did not innovate motion controls...FYI. It's also not necessarily the future since thus far....it's not the standard for gamers.

#137 Posted by xxgunslingerxx (4069 posts) -

@mynamesdenvrmax said:

@-Damien- said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

who is Polygon again? I seriously forgot

Microsoft shills

Are you serious? The entire internet is a Sony fanboy now days. You guys are EVERYWHERE. I can't go into any Xbox forum or comment system, including Majornelson.com without some Sony fan trashing Xbox or posting anti-xbox news stories. It's become one of the most obnoxious trends in gaming, trash the xbox. It's fine if you hate it, Microsoft and those involved in making it but keep your trolling out of Xbox sections. When the Playstation 3 was going downhill fast was the moment PS fanboys became extremely aggressive. When the general view of the PS3 picked up and people decided Microsoft was "casual" your numbers grew and you all became more of an ongoing riot. Busting into normal conversations and running people off of entire forums. I have stopped going to Gametrailers because the whole Xbox section is mainly Sony trolls. It's truly sad watching these guys become rabid dogs, I can't imagine your everyday lives.

On topic: I like the Kinect, I have yet to use it in a game but saying certain things like "Xbox record that" and "Watch TV" are great uses. I don't know if its worth the extra $100. But it does work for me, I never log in manually I just walk in the room. Could I do without it? Yes but I'd like to keep mine. I originally though Microsoft should stay on their track of not giving people the option to not buy it, but if it will help sales go for it. Will it happen? I highly doubt it. If anything, Microsoft will take the cut in profit and lower the price keeping it in the box.

You talk as if lems never do that

fact pretty much the majority of the worst offenders on systemwars are lems