Best Trilogy of this Generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#201 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

best trilogy is probably uncharted, out of that crappy list you made. Best series without a doubt is Halo.

blaznwiipspman1
Halo is a last gen series. This poll is for the current gen.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#202 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Mass Effect not even close. Even with ME having bad gameplay and ME3 having a terrible ending and ME2 not doing much for the overall story, I love the series.

I admit I havent played U3, AC3 or Gears 1 but I doubt any of them would push the series past ME.

Uncharted has nothing remarkable except production values. Multiplayer is pretty fun

Resistance has solid gameplay but doesn't do enough to really stand out amongst other FPS and the sequels failed to build on the potential of the 1st

AC1 too repetitive, still like it more then I should, nostalgia I guess, Ac 2 is excellent but it ruined any potential the Desmond story had for me

Gears 2 horde was great, didnt really bother with multiplayer, Gears 3 horde is even better, and I love wingman. Campaign of both is fun in co-op otherwise not all that great

darkkillerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 darkkillerr
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

seriously i don't know who should get my vote between gears, assassin and uncharted

gears have a good single and a perfect multy, assassin and uncharted have a good multy and a perfect single :)

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#204 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

This is a tough choice for me. I'll go with the Assassin's Creed Trilogy aka the Ezio Trilogy. Even the games kept the same core gameplay, it never felt old or repetitive to me. I really liked Ezio as a character as well.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

Wow, people really think Uncharted was the better trilogy than ME or GeoW? I mean I can see it being a toss up between UC and GeoW but ME blows both of them away. ME1 amazing, ME2 unbelievable, ME3 great with some shortcomings. Then you have UC1 average, UC2 amazing, UC3 good bordering on great but a letdown. GeoW fantastic, GeoW2 a little underwhelming, GeoW 3 a return to form fantastic.

That's how I see it anyway.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#206 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

Wow, people really think Uncharted was the better trilogy than ME or GeoW? I mean I can see it being a toss up between UC and GeoW but ME blows both of them away. ME1 amazing, ME2 unbelievable, ME3 great with some shortcomings. Then you have UC1 average, UC2 amazing, UC3 good bordering on great but a letdown. GeoW fantastic, GeoW2 a little underwhelming, GeoW 3 a return to form fantastic.

Frostbite24
Even though i voted for Mass Effect, I think Uncharted is a great series. That and Assassin's Creed, I think, come closest out of all of them to Mass Effect in terms of quality. Anyway, ME is leading in the poll :D
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#207 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Frostbite24

You need to add one more gif to your sig to make it into the Ass Waggle Trilogy ;) :oops:

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#208 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
I would say Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4 :P but out of those definitely Mass Effect, EPIC.Spartan070
Well it's not really a trilogy, :P
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

[QUOTE="Frostbite24"]

AdobeArtist

You need to add one more gif to your sig to make it into the Ass Waggle Trilogy ;) :oops:

Yep if Ass Waggle Trilogy were in the poll, I'd have voted for it. :lol: :P
Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#210 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Mass Effect by far. They are the only game I have purchased on 360 and PC and might even get it on PS3 because I want to get all the trophies for them. I really love the series that much.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Frostbite24

I'm totally mezmorized by your sig...:D

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#212 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

Why is the Modern Warfare series not here? Technically that is a trilogy right? I know it's a part of Call of Duty, but they number it differently and everything.

SPYDER0416
Because Modern Warfare 2 and 3 are terrible.:P
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#213 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]Asassin's Creed III's story is easily the best in the series.khoofia_pika

NO. Just no. I loved AC3, but one of the few things that held it back was the story. It's inconsistent, poorly paced (though the pacing pays off in the end because of the very important character development) and rushed. The Desmond ending sucks and is completely rushed, and Connor's ending leaves a few loose ends, which might not be important, but given how AC usually concentrates on story, would have been appreciated. The characters aren't half as interesting and entertaining as the Ezio trilogy, and Connor is mediocre when compared to Ezio. AC2 and Brotherhood take the cake when it comes to the story.

Wrong The first two Assassin's Creed games fail to develop any of its characters outside the protagonist. Really, Brotherhood developed the characters AC2 failed too. And do you want to talk about pacing? Because the first two games, especially ACII, has HORRENDUS pacing. The pacing in AC3 is easily the best. A very skillful use of a false protagonist allows the villains to develop in no other way possible, even humanizing them. Also instead of devolving into a kill this guy, than kill this guy, than kill this guy, that kill that guy the first two games story devolved into, ACIII gives you reasons to kill your targets an dfleshes out the bad guys. The story is far more consistant than any game but maybe Brotherhood. The ending to Connor also fits the themes, and so does Desmond's ending....HOWEVER, really it isn't Desmond's ending that sucks, its the ENTIRE Desmond storyline, kind of like the Matrix. ACIII is the ONLY game in the series to develop BOTH its protagonist AND its supporting cast.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#214 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
[QUOTE="Frostbite24"]

Uncharted is a much tighter game, with far greater gameplay imo. You can move around the combat areas with ease, both horizontally and vertically and shooting is more satisfying. Set-pieces controls very well, ME set-pieces are clumpsy in comparison. Storytelling is also much more direct. Mass Effect has a lot of mindless/tedious gameplay and story elements. Uncharted has a fantastic MP, Mass Effect's was real meh.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Mass Effect is **** terrible, wow SW has bad taste. Uncharted all the way.

And for the record I played Mass Effect maxed on PC and it's on the PS3, just so lems don't forget it's multiplat. This isn't me being a cow, Mass Effect is jsut really really overated.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Frostbite24"]

Uncharted is a much tighter game, with far greater gameplay imo. You can move around the combat areas with ease, both horizontally and vertically and shooting is more satisfying. Set-pieces controls very well, ME set-pieces are clumpsy in comparison. Storytelling is also much more direct. Mass Effect has a lot of mindless/tedious gameplay and story elements. Uncharted has a fantastic MP, Mass Effect's was real meh.

Mass Effects story and characters are far superior to Uncharted's and the gamplay in ME3 is better than Uncharted, espeically multiplayer. Uncharted is really just Indiana Jones, its all it is. And I would take Indiana Jones an the Fate of Atlantis over any Uncharted game any day.
guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#217 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Mass Effect. It has the best character development, the best gameplay, the best voice acting, the best soundtrack and most importantly the best storyline.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

brb all of system wars does nothing but complain about mass effect

brb mass effect was the best trilogy of the gen

brb strong logic

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

Tie between Gears and Uncharted

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 texasgoldrush
introducing the newest character in the Mass Effect universe...Nyreen Kandos
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

As far as best balance, then Uncharted. Every one of those series in your list has bad games in it except Uncharted.

Mass Effect 1 sucked (wholeheartedly disagree)

AC 1 sucked (it was decent)

Gears of War 2 sucked (havnt played it)

Resistance 3 sucked (havnt played it, but Resistance 1 sucked anyway)

All 3 Uncharted games were great. (UC1 wasnt great)

Out of your list, I'll take Bioshock if it counts...assuming Infinite is as good as it looks.

senses_fail_06

Havn't played UC3, but UC was pretty boring and noone near as good as 2 of some of the games from the other other trilogies.

My vote goes to ME, despite the mess that was the original ending in ME3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#222 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Hum, hard to choose between Uncharted and Mass Effect for me. I'll probably give the edge to Uncharted though because its gameplay is better then ME.

Uncharted > ME in gameplay

ME > Uncharted in Story/world/characters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]

As far as best balance, then Uncharted. Every one of those series in your list has bad games in it except Uncharted.

Mass Effect 1 sucked (wholeheartedly disagree)

AC 1 sucked (it was decent)

Gears of War 2 sucked (havnt played it)

Resistance 3 sucked (havnt played it, but Resistance 1 sucked anyway)

All 3 Uncharted games were great. (UC1 wasnt great)

Out of your list, I'll take Bioshock if it counts...assuming Infinite is as good as it looks.

Snugenz

Havn't played UC3, but UC was pretty boring and noone near as good as 2 of some of the games from the other other trilogies.

My vote goes to ME, despite the mess that was the original ending in ME3.

Thats something I never seemed to grasp: Someone liking U2 but not liking U1 when they're pretty much the same minus the over-the-top setpieces. Prefering one over the other is one thing, liking one but not the other is another thing. Same applies to those that loved U2 but "hated" U3 when both games are so close in gameplay, setpieces, etc...

Again, I can understand one prefering U2 over U1/U3, but liking one but not the others is just strange to me...

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Thats something I never seemed to grasp: Someone liking U2 but not liking U1 when they're pretty much the same minus the over-the-top setpieces. Prefering one over the other is one thing, liking one but not the other is another thing. Same applies to those that loved U2 but "hated" U3 when both games are so close in gameplay, setpieces, etc...

Again, I can understand one prefering U2 over U1/U3, but liking one but not the others is just strange to me...

Vatusus

I enjoyed UC2, thought it was a good game, much better than UC1. Having said that, 1 play through of UC2 was more than enough for me and i will probably never bother with UC3.

You could try looking at it like, bought two, liked one, didnt bother with the third :P.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#225 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Voted AC
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

the gamplay in ME3 is better than Uncharted, espeically multiplayer. texasgoldrush

mj-laughing.gif

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#227 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]the gamplay in ME3 is better than Uncharted, espeically multiplayer. DarkLink77

mj-laughing.gif

The more varied, mechanically sound, and the one with an actual competitive multiplayer is somehow the lesser playing game. #SystemWars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]the gamplay in ME3 is better than Uncharted, espeically multiplayer. DarkLink77

mj-laughing.gif

This, seriously. As much as I love ME series thats clearly a statement of someone that hasnt played Uncharted. ME as a TPS is pretty poor. Its all about the characters, decisions, world, story... everything other then the gameplay imo

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Frostbite24

[QUOTE="Frostbite24"]

AdobeArtist

What do you think?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Frostbite24

Man, people still cant accept others opinions?

I love ME series, played em all and I still prefer Uncharted because, for me, gameplay > story/characters/world

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#231 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Vatusus

It comes down to pacing and encounter design.

1 is a beta test in a lot of ways for 2. Two takes what one does, and pushes it to the next level. One feels like a very safe tps game post Gears of War with some spongy enemies and off gunplay. Two tightens it up, while adding more elaborate set pieces, and all along the way is finaly paced and masking all the little things in the Uncharted series that don't work or aren't that good.

The third game suffers from certain aspects of the game having a been there, done that feeling, and in my experience going even further into the cinematic approach. The chase sequences when you're chasing what's his face or running away as a kid put giant spot lights on how linear and odd the platforming/parkour is in Uncharted. As your forced into one specific route, and are suddenly incapable of climbing fences(dude can climb up a train hanging over the cliff of a moutain top, after essentially falling a good 20/30 feet hitting a metal rail that should have destroyed his back, but can't hop a fence) and usually overstay their welcome.

Hallucinations comprised mostly of go forward and wait till the scenario ended. That part in the desert where they try to sell Drake's thirst and weakness isn't really all that well executed in a game. The idea is there, but what reason does the player have to buy it on a gameplay level? Especially when after we're done with this forced walking in the desert he's back to being drake in gameplay after like what isn't even a puddle of water.

And then there is the different spins on multiplayer and all that jazz. Melee combat kept showing up more than usual, and while it's nice as a quick kill thing in 2. In 3 there are entire sequences dedicated to taking part in melee that just aren't all that fun to do.

Two just gave a better group of gameplay scenarios, was all around paced better than 1(on the premise that it had better highs to go with the lows), and did all the bombastic sh1t before 3. So its set pieces had a new car smell going for them, where as some of 3s set pieces just don't live up to the billing like the train, the monestary, or the hotel stuff.

So yeah while I think 3rd game is good in its own right I'd rather go through two as that is in my opinion the better executed action game. One being the weakest by far, and an average game at best.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Frostbite24

[QUOTE="Frostbite24"]

Vatusus

I love ME series, played em all and I still prefer Uncharted because, for me, gameplay > story/characters/world

I never said anything about not accepting, just said, based on my opinion, (derp) it was hard for me to understand.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Mass Effect.

The ending was ***** stupid, filed with plot holes, and convoluted as hell but the build up was amazing.

The way Bioware was able to integrate 3 games into a modern day epic space opera was just beautiful.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Mass Effect 2 and 3 gameplay are very underrated. They were extremely fun and they did a lot of things right, especially ME3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Mass Effect 2 and 3 gameplay are very underrated. They were extremely fun and they did a lot of things right, especially ME3.

padaporra

ME gameplay I would say its... passable on its own

Now if you compare it to the such of Gears or Uncharted, or many other TPS like Vanquish, spec-ops: the line, MP3, etc... its actually pretty stiff and unresponsive. But then again, its not really a TPS at its core. It does the service it tries to accomplish pretty well, I would say. Its like comparing an WRPG gameplay to Hack'n'slash games. The standards on gameplay wont be the same, obviously

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#237 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Frostbite24"]

texasgoldrush

Mass Effects story and characters are far superior to Uncharted's and the gamplay in ME3 is better than Uncharted, espeically multiplayer. Uncharted is really just Indiana Jones, its all it is. And I would take Indiana Jones an the Fate of Atlantis over any Uncharted game any day.

Notice how you said ME3. ME3 has decent gameplay, but ME2 and ME are just awful. I haven't played much of the uncharted games, but I seriously doubt that it's worse. And the multiplayer in ME3 is alright, but definitely not something you play a lot. It's so repetitive.

SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

I love ME series, played em all and I still prefer Uncharted because, for me, gameplay > story/characters/worldVatusus

I see a lot of people pretty much selecting out Mass Effect from the rest in terms of story & characters almost as if it was in its own league, as far as those two are concerned.

But, can we really be sure about that? I mean what makes Mass Effect's story or characters really stand out from for example those from Uncharted? From what I have seen / tried (haven't played the whole thing though), dialogues and banter are just as smooth and witty, if not better in UC, voice-acting, at least of main characters, is very comparable and UC's superior cinematics and animations, especially facial ones, probably provide more attractively looking conversations and character interactions.

So what is it? More dramatic character development? More personal moments with them? Greater variety (aliens)? Something else or a bit of all?

Not saying, that they aren't the best or can't be viewed as the best, but personally, I am not not sure what should it be, that should make me think of Mass Effect's characters as signifficantly superior to those from for example Uncharted. Still, I like them the most, but that's my mere preference not related to my perception of actual quality of writing / design.

And as far as story (plot) is concerned, I am even less sure... So, if you (or anyone else, who thinks that ME's characters and story are clearly the best among the nominated games) could give me some insight about how you came to that conclusion, it would be cool.

BTW, voted for Mass Effect of course.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

I love ME series, played em all and I still prefer Uncharted because, for me, gameplay > story/characters/worldSciFiRPGfan

I see a lot of people pretty much selecting out Mass Effect from the rest in terms of story & characters almost as if it was in its own league, as far as those two are concerned.

But, can we really be sure about that? I mean what makes Mass Effect's story or characters really stand out from for example those from Uncharted? From what I have seen / tried (haven't played the whole thing though), dialogues and banter are just as smooth and witty, if not better in UC, voice-acting, at least of main characters, is very comparable and UC's superior cinematics and animations, especially facial ones, probably provide more attractively looking conversations and character interactions.

So what is it? More dramatic character development? More personal moments with them? Greater variety (aliens)? Something else or a bit of all?

Not saying, that they aren't the best or can't be viewed as the best, but personally, I am not not sure what should it be, that should make me think of Mass Effect's characters as signifficantly superior to those from for example Uncharted. Still, I like them the most, but that's my mere preference not related to my perception of actual quality of writing / design.

And as far as story (plot) is concerned, I am even less sure... So, if you (or anyone else, who thinks that ME's characters and story are clearly the best among the nominated games) could give me some insight about how you came to that conclusion, it would be cool.

BTW, voted for Mass Effect of course.

Well, I cant go to deep on this matter as english isnt my 1st language so it could be lost in translation. However I felt both the characters and story of ME are among the best I've seen, not because of what they are but because how they are/were presented to us. For ex, you only end up to know who the real villains of ME really are at near the end of ME1, that built some tension and expectance to see how the rest of the story would unfold. That moment of anxiety and tension, in other word I like to describe ME - MISTERY - within the ME world was masterfully craftet by Bioware. Uncharted games have great characters aswell, but really tongue-and-cheek, with one liners and they lack character development (although they tried more in U3). Uncharted story and characters are what you would expect from a typical "hollywoodesc" movie like. They're fun to hang out with and listen some jokes, but they never develop further that. In ME characters are important, your decisions affect theirs, the closest you can get in a videogame (at least the ones I've played). They're more developed throught that i.e. my Miranda may not be your Miranda, you know what I mean? Just as your shepard may not be your Shepard.

Again, I love ME and what Bioware accomplished with it this gen. ME3 is probably my GOTY 2012, and I didnt even though the ending was THAT bad. But the reasons why I love ME arent the ones related to the gameplay.

TD;LR version: Its not THE story or the characters but HOW they're presented to you

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Frostbite24"]

Frostbite24

What do you think?

I grant you moderation immunity :cool:

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
From the poll: Gears: Thoroughly average Mass Effect: Garbage Assassin's Creed: Horrible Uncharted: decent at absolute best Resistance: lol My vote goes to Valkyria Chronicles, even though the third one probably won't ever make it out of Japan.
SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

@Vatusus, if you don't mind, I have few more questions. Not because I would disagree, but to get a better idea about what role your own preferences played in that - i.e. how much it was about you just liking something more and how much it was about you actually thinking, that something was (objectively) handled better in Mass Effects.

Well, I cant go to deep on this matter as english isnt my 1st language so it could be lost in translation. However I felt both the characters and story of ME are among the best I've seen, not because of what they are but because how they are/were presented to us. For ex, you only end up to know who the real villains of ME really are at near the end of ME1, that built some tension and expectance to see how the rest of the story would unfold. That moment of anxiety and tension, in other word I like to describe ME - MISTERY - within the ME world was masterfully craftet by Bioware.Vatusus

And do you think that this story technique - keeping the player in "darkness" for a while - is a better method than something else (e.g. presenting the villain early) in general? Is it something, that for example other developers should strive for as well? In other words, do you think that stories with this type of "mystery" (and twists) are generally better than the stories without it?

Uncharted games have great characters aswell, but really tongue-and-cheek, with one liners and they lack character development (although they tried more in U3). Uncharted story and characters are what you would expect from a typical "hollywoodesc" movie like. They're fun to hang out with and listen some jokes, but they never develop further that.

Yeah. That was one thing I have noticed as well. Still, I am not sure how much importance should I place on it. I mean, character development does make said character more dynamic and diverse, but how important should this dynamic really be? Is it something necessary for every good (deep, multidimensional,...) character or is it just an additional feature (bonus)? And what if a character was "right" from the start? Would he have to change his opinion / position just for the sake of being more interesting or could he stay the way he was throughout the whole game / series? Also, do you think that it is possible to have a well written and likeable character even without any signifficant character development?

In ME characters are important, your decisions affect theirs, the closest you can get in a videogame (at least the ones I've played). They're more developed throught that i.e. my Miranda may not be your Miranda, you know what I mean? Just as your shepard may not be your Shepard.

This one I believe, is the question of game's genre. RPGs and games with interactive dialogues and choices and consequences will always have more value as far as interactivity is concerned than linear action games, but I probably wouldn't attribute this to advantages of characters of some game. Not when it comes to cross - genre comparisons like this one at least. That would be like saying that "choose your own adventure" type of a book is a better written book than a normal one just because it provides a reader with more outcomes. And that would be wrong, because non-linearity and interactivity generally aren't the criteria, according to which the quality of writing / characters is judged. So, if you don't mind, I will simply count this one as your mere preference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Vatusus, if you don't mind, I have few more questions. Not because I would disagree, but to get a better idea about what role your own preferences played in that - i.e. how much it was about you just liking something more and how much it was about you actually thinking, that something was (objectively) handled better in Mass Effects.

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]
And do you think that this story technique - keeping the player in "darkness" for a while - is a better method than something else (e.g. presenting the villain early) in general? Is it something, that for example other developers should strive for as well? In other words, do you think that stories with this type of "mystery" (and twists) are generally better than the stories without it?

Uncharted games have great characters aswell, but really tongue-and-cheek, with one liners and they lack character development (although they tried more in U3). Uncharted story and characters are what you would expect from a typical "hollywoodesc" movie like. They're fun to hang out with and listen some jokes, but they never develop further that.SciFiRPGfan

Yeah. That was one thing I have noticed as well. Still, I am not sure how much importance should I place on it. I mean, character development does make said character more dynamic and diverse, but how important should this dynamic really be? Is it something necessary for every good (deep, multidimensional,...) character or is it just an additional feature (bonus)? And what if a character was "right" from the start? Would he have to change his opinion / position just for the sake of being more interesting or could he stay the way he was throughout the whole game / series? Also, do you think that it is possible to have a well written and likeable character even without any signifficant character development?

In ME characters are important, your decisions affect theirs, the closest you can get in a videogame (at least the ones I've played). They're more developed throught that i.e. my Miranda may not be your Miranda, you know what I mean? Just as your shepard may not be your Shepard.

This one I believe, is the question of game's genre. RPGs and games with interactive dialogues and choices and consequences will always have more value as far as interactivity is concerned than linear action games, but I probably wouldn't attribute this to advantages of characters of some game. Not when it comes to cross - genre comparisons like this one at least. That would be like saying that "choose your own adventure" type of a book is a better written book than a normal one just because it provides a reader with more outcomes. And that would be wrong, because non-linearity and interactivity generally aren't the criteria, according to which the quality of writing / characters is judged. So, if you don't mind, I will simply count this one as your mere preference.

Sorry for the late reply but I was playing U2, conveniently... :)

1st question: Yes. Building tension is better then presenting "it" right at the beggining imo. Case in mind: Jurassic Park. The movie takes a while until a dangerous dinossaur 1st appears. When T-Rex finally shows up, the impact is bigger because the expactance was building up until it finally happens. When it comes to twists, I'm a sucker for them. I like to be completely blown away when something that seems obvious really isnt. But thats my personal preference, dont know about others

2nd question: Character development has different levels of importance, depending on the genre. I wouldnt exepct an action game to have the same character development as an RPG. Being involved within the world and characters is what makes us like RPGs, at least that why I like RPGs. Uncharted "one dimensional" characters fit its genre pretty well but those same characters in an RPG wouldnt do the job. The contrary is also applied. Deep character development in action games also dont fit as it could drag on and deviates the player from the constant action. And yes, its possible to have likable "non-deep" characters. Agent 47 barelly speaks and its a loved character by many. Actions can "speak" for the characters. I honestly dont know how to respond to the question before this one though... at least not in english :(

3rd "question": Yes, it all comes down to preference in the end.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Frostbite24

[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

What do you think?

I grant you moderation immunity :cool:

I feel betrayed....:cry:
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#245 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Mass Effect winning? With that ending? Bleh. Really everything there has at least one entry that disappointed me.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#246 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Mass Effect its not even up for debate. The characters are great, the universe is amazing, great OST but the only thing I didn't like was the ending to ME3 which I have gotten over.

Avatar image for Frankenstrat247
Frankenstrat247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#248 Frankenstrat247
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

Out of all of these, I think Uncharted is the series with the least amount of negatives.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Mass effect.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#250 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Also Mass Effect has one of my favorite scenes from any game, when you first meet Sovereign