Best Trilogy of this Generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

The choices in your poll are bad and you should feel bad.

inb4 the BioDrones line up and start chanting about how great MassEffect is like they were brainwashed to do

inb4 nobody except maybe Shake says Resistance

inb4 the Cows talk about how much they loved being a poor man's Indiana Jones

inb4 someone says Gears of War and actually tries to defend Gears of War 2

inb4 someone says Assassin's Creed and forgets that 1. It's not a trilogy and 2. How ridiculously uneven it's been

I vote for none of the above because they all failed spectacularly in their own special way.

lx_theo

Oh, yeah, I forgot how bad your opinion was. Thanks for the reminder.

Funny thing is, he's right.

It's completely how this thread turned out. SW can be so laughably predictable.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#152 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Why is the Modern Warfare series not here? Technically that is a trilogy right? I know it's a part of Call of Duty, but they number it differently and everything.

SPYDER0416

Cuz it sucks.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Link3301

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Why is the Modern Warfare series not here? Technically that is a trilogy right? I know it's a part of Call of Duty, but they number it differently and everything.

Link3301

Cuz it sucks.

Mass Effect Definitley. Just finished Mass Effect 3 a few weaks back, now I'm playing the trilogy again. I have already finished Mass Effect 1 again, now I'm on to 2.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Link3301

[QUOTE="gensigns"]the one that had all 3 games above 90 on metacritic....padaporra

Both Gears and Mass Effect have this. Don't they?

Yes

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Link3301

Assassin's Creed is the only decent series in your list. Not on that list, I'm going with either Halo, Half-Life , or Assassins Creed. I am leaning towards Halo.GamerZem

Halo and Half-Life are not this gen.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#156 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

STALKER was pretty good.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#157 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

I really like Uncharted but i gotta go with Mass Effect.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#158 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Uncharted, the fact that Mass Effect got the most votes shows just how bad this generation is.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4. :shock: :D

Eh Mass Effect edges out Gears I guess. :P

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#160 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
None of those, honestly, but I can't think anything else. :P
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#161 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Always love that hyperbole about Resistance being nothing but bad games. I guess every single critic was lieing when they wrote those reviews, eh? That's fine, but keep that belief consistent with all games and reviews.

If Resistance is a bad franchise, then all critics are liars.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Always love that hyperbole about Resistance being nothing but bad games. I guess every single critic was lieing when they wrote those reviews, eh? That's fine, but keep that belief consistent with all games and reviews.

Master_ShakeXXX

Yeah they were obviously lying. 87 metacritic score for the worst entry in the series, outscoring the other two games. Thats a joke

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

The choices in your poll are bad and you should feel bad.

inb4 the BioDrones line up and start chanting about how great MassEffect is like they were brainwashed to do

inb4 nobody except maybe Shake says Resistance

inb4 the Cows talk about how much they loved being a poor man's Indiana Jones

inb4 someone says Gears of War and actually tries to defend Gears of War 2

inb4 someone says Assassin's Creed and forgets that 1. It's not a trilogy and 2. How ridiculously uneven it's been

I vote for none of the above because they all failed spectacularly in their own special way.

DarkLink77

This post so much better than mine it isnt funny.

Jeez man...

You got some serious cynicism for the popular games don't you?

To each their own but I would think at least one of those series would be alright to someone.

I can admit I'm not a fan of a few myself I guess :P.

AznbkdX

Of those 4 I have at least had some experience with. They typically fell for common pitfalls. Namely.

No exploration: Uncharted, Gears, Mass Effect (sure you could explore in ME1 but what is the point).
No challenge: Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed
No depth: Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Uncharted
Cinematic Gameplay: Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Uncharted
Flash over substance: Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed (again)
Awful Level Design:Mass Effect, Gears of War, Uncharted
Repetitive Gameplay: Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Uncharted

It is not their popularity that is the issue, it is the traits within the games themselves that bother me. Heck, 3/4 of those plays like a game of whack-a-mole, and the one that doenst is basicly "I.W.I.N. button: The Game"

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Always love that hyperbole about Resistance being nothing but bad games. I guess every single critic was lieing when they wrote those reviews, eh? That's fine, but hold that consistensy with everything.

Master_ShakeXXX
i would have voted for resistance 3...but gears edged it out, soley on how both trilogies ended... resistance 3, being a horrible ending to an otherwise great series. Gears 3 ended how resistance 3 should have
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Gears of War series was my favorite, followed by Ass Creed.

I like Mass Effect but they made it too slow with too many cutscenes and emo bullschit.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

R4gn4r0k

Yeah they were obviously lying. 87 metacritic score for the worst entry in the series, outscoring the other two games. Thats a joke

Opinions. Resistance 2 is the high point of the franchise for me, so I agree with it scoring the best.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Assassin's Creed 3 without a doubt. The only series that got progressively better and still maintained its identity and its quality across every installment. Every other series you listed was too inconsistent: Mass Effect blew it with the ending. A trilogy with a poor ending and a poor third act fails at being a cohesive trilogy.

I'm sorry, what? I agree that the last 15 minutes of Mass Effect 3 were mediocre, but the rest of the game was absolutely beautiful. A poor third act? No way in hell. And I'm sorry, but Revelations isn't even a patch on Brotherhood, and AC1, despite being great, had a ton of faults. Assassin's Creed, too, has had its inconsistencies.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 R4gn4r0k  Online

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Opinions. Resistance 2 is the high point of the franchise for me, so I agree with it scoring the best.

Yeah thats what reviews are, opinions. And people thinking its a series full of crap is an opinion too.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 khoofia_pika
Mine would be Mass Effect as well. Assassin's Creed has Revelations and AC1. Don't get me wrong, I love those games, but both of them clearly have plenty of flaws. Uncharted... well, all three games are really awesome, but overall, I don't think it touches the heights that Mass Effect does. Gears of War 2 brings down the overall quality of Gears of War. Resistance has been average with the exception of Resistance 3, so I don't think I'd even consider that.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#170 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

voted for mass effect , i liked everything except the last 20 minutes in ME3 , i try to forget that and just remember the good rest

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

R4gn4r0k

Yeah thats what reviews are, opinions. And people thinking its a series full of crap is an opinion too.

Resistance 2 is almost objectively the best entry in the series. It had the best, most well rounded multiplayer. The most features. One of the best cooperative modes of any shooter this gen. It was and still is to this very day the most played Resistance game. It deserved it's scores.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 R4gn4r0k  Online

Resistance 2 is almost objectively the best entry in the series. It had the best, most well rounded multiplayer. The most features. One of the best cooperative modes of any shooter this gen. It was and still is to this very day the most played Resistance game. It deserved it's scores.

Master_ShakeXXX

Even the devs said R2 was the weakest one in the series and they were gonna improve upon it with number 3.

Yeah its multiplayer was great but that was the only thing good about it. The singleplayer was complete sh!t and I don't know what they were thinking adding in a 2 weapon limit in a game where its all about the weapons. Actually I do know: all the other FPS have it so they needed to add it too derp.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 khoofia_pika

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Really? I thought Resistance 2's campaign was slow paced, and it's multiplayer kinda messy. I actually think Resistance 3 is the best in series. But then again, that's just my opinion.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 AmnesiaHaze

R4gn4r0k

Even the devs said R2 was the weakest one in the series and they were gonna improve upon it with number 3.

Yeah its multiplayer was great but that was the only thing good about it. The singleplayer was complete sh!t and I don't know what they were thinking adding in a 2 weapon limit in a game where its all about the weapons. Actually I do know: all the other FPS have it so they needed to add it too derp.

imo R2's coop was better and more fun than the entire R3 game , no wonder R3 sucked as much if the devs thought that, it almost seems like they created such coop masterpiece by coincidence :D
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 R4gn4r0k  Online

imo R2's coop was better and more fun than the entire R3 game , no wonder R3 sucked as much if the devs thought that, it almost seems like they created such coop masterpiece by coincidence :DAmnesiaHaze

I enjoyed both R2 and R3s co-op. They are different but both good.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Of those 3 I'd say Gears. Each installment has gotten better IMO. 3 is easily the best 3rd person shooter out there.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Uncharted is the only one that appeals to me.

Not a genre that excites me (standard fare cinematic TPS), but the second game is exceptionally well made, my goty 09.

I just need to play the 3rd game for its stereo 3D effect. Would probably not have bothered otherwise. Even if you are served an amazing dish, at one point you get full. That's me with UC3, it's too samey.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 AmnesiaHaze

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]imo R2's coop was better and more fun than the entire R3 game , no wonder R3 sucked as much if the devs thought that, it almost seems like they created such coop masterpiece by coincidence :DR4gn4r0k

I enjoyed both R2 and R3s co-op. They are different but both good.

i couldnt enjoy R3 coop at all because of there was no matchmaking :( and still it wasnt as teamwork oriented as R2 , R3 not having that type of coop was a major letdown for me
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Master_ShakeXXX

R4gn4r0k

The developers didn't know wtf fans wanted. These are the same morons who totally botched Resistance 3's multiplayer thus screwing any chance of the community thriving and the game selling well. They had a great thing going with R:FOM and esspecially R2, but they threw that away to appeal to the CoD crowd.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 AmnesiaHaze
They had a great thing going with R:FOM and esspecially R2, but they threw that away to appeal to the CoD crowd.Master_ShakeXXX
yeah during the process of making the game a poor COD clone they totally forgot what made R2 so good and abandoned their fans , no wonder it sold as crap , COD fans continued playing COD and R2 fans had to find something else or keep playing R2
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

khoofia_pika

Really? I thought Resistance 2's campaign was slow paced, and it's multiplayer kinda messy. I actually think Resistance 3 is the best in series. But then again, that's just my opinion.

The campaign was mediocre but that's not what kept people coming back. It was that amazing multiplayer which blew away anything else on PS3 at the time. Resistance 3's MP didn't even have half the features. It was simply a stripped down, reskinned version of CoD's multiplayer.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 AmnesiaHaze

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

The campaign was mediocre but that's not what kept people coming back. It was that amazing multiplayer which blew away anything else on PS3 at the time. Resistance 3's MP didn't even have half the features. It was simply a stripped down, reskinned version of CoD's multiplayer.

and it was broken even after 2GB of patches , as much as i wanted to enjoy it, it lagged like crazy and was probably the most unbalanced game i played , killstreaks in COD are nothing compared to R3 high level loadouts versus low level players

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"] Really? I thought Resistance 2's campaign was slow paced, and it's multiplayer kinda messy. I actually think Resistance 3 is the best in series. But then again, that's just my opinion. AmnesiaHaze

and it was broken even after 2GB of patches , as much as i wanted to enjoy it, it lagged like crazy and was probably the most unbalanced game i played , killstreaks in COD are nothing compared to R3 high level loadouts versus low level players

I wanted desperately to enjoy R3 as well but yeah, it was pretty much broken. There was no sense of balance. Higher level players were pretty much gods and newcomers stood no chance. It was a buggy, lag infested mess. A total 180 from the first two game's multiplayer.

Thankfully the campaign was still excellent so it wasn't an all around disappointment. Only a partial one.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 R4gn4r0k  Online

i couldnt enjoy R3 coop at all because of there was no matchmaking :( and still it wasnt as teamwork oriented as R2 , R3 not having that type of coop was a major letdown for me AmnesiaHaze

Yeah they should have kept it, it was the best part of R2

The developers didn't know wtf fans wanted. These are the same morons who totally botched Resistance 3's multiplayer thus screwing any chance of the community thriving and the game selling well. They had a great thing going with R:FOM and esspecially R2, but they threw that away to appeal to the CoD crowd.

Master_ShakeXXX

Damn shame really. The first Resistance sold good so I don't know where the decision came from.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX
It's not a bad franchise. It'd be better if it was, because then it could be written off. The problem is that there's a lot of unrealized potential.
Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Meeeper282
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

lol 1 vote for resistance

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#188 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I cannot think of a single trilogy this gen that was good and enjoyable. I might change my tune if they made a third Arkham game or inFAMOUS this gen.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

Uncharted for now(Might change to infamous if a third one is released this gen)

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 khoofia_pika

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

True, I had some fun in Resistance 2's multiplayer, despite the fact that I thought it was a big mess (what with so many players running around on small maps). But I'm more of a single player guy most of the times, and Resistance 3's campaign is absolutely wonderful.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#191 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Ugh. What a terrible list. I guess that just goes to show how hard it is to get three quality titles out this gen.:?

AC I guess, but, blech.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
I would say Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4 :P but out of those definitely Mass Effect, EPIC.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#193 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Both Uncharted and Mass Effect

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Both Uncharted and Mass Effect

finalstar2007

But you can only vote for one :)

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Assassin's Creed and Uncharted.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#196 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts
[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

The Uncharted trilogy is my absolute favorite, but I think Mass Effect is the most important for what it represents and what it has done for the industry in terms of artistic merit and the innovative save transferring that was really cool.

charizard1605
The save file transferring wasn't even all that innovative, considering so many other games did it before...

No one did it better than Mass Effect though.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 texasgoldrush
Objectively easily Mass Effect, once ME3 wins a ton of GOTY awards, the series will probably be the most awarded this gen.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 texasgoldrush

Assassin's Creed: 1=Repetitive and boring. 2=Insultingly easy, bad gameplay, bad stealth, ect. 3=Buggy, poorly paced, horrid story even for AC "standards" (going by what I have heard anyway).
Uncharted: Only played the demos of UC1+2 and the MP beta of UC3. Couldnt stand it.
ME(diocre): You know, I wouldnt mind this series so much if the universe wasnt stupid like heck, the species werent so generic, the characters weren't so bad, combat was tolerable and the dialogue system wasnt a disaster.
Gears of War: Played through the first mission on the first one, never wanted to touch this series again.
Resistance: Never played, but Resistance 3 looks intriguing (yeah, I just said something positive about a PS3 exclusive).

I have to go with STALKER. But it probably wont be the best trilogy that started this gen, SC2 will eventually be (I think).

Maroxad
Please, the Mass Effect characters are hands down this generations best. I am going to say this, the very best RPG cast since the Nameless One, Morte, and clan. Asassin's Creed III's story is easily the best in the series.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

best trilogy is probably uncharted, out of that crappy list you made. Best series without a doubt is Halo.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 khoofia_pika

Asassin's Creed III's story is easily the best in the series.texasgoldrush
NO. Just no. I loved AC3, but one of the few things that held it back was the story. It's inconsistent, poorly paced (though the pacing pays off in the end because of the very important character development) and rushed. The Desmond ending sucks and is completely rushed, and Connor's ending leaves a few loose ends, which might not be important, but given how AC usually concentrates on story, would have been appreciated. The characters aren't half as interesting and entertaining as the Ezio trilogy, and Connor is mediocre when compared to Ezio. AC2 and Brotherhood take the cake when it comes to the story.