Best single player experience this gen.

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

Which is in your opinion best single player experience this gen??

#2 Posted by kontejner44 (2025 posts) -

SMG2, MGS4, UC2, SMG, Prime Trilogy.

#3 Posted by jg4xchamp (47079 posts) -
Super Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta, Demon's Souls, Braid, and Valkyria Chronicles I really need to go find some time to play Limbo though.
#4 Posted by Not-A-Stalker (5165 posts) -
It's Heavy Rain, no doubt. I've never been so enthralled by a video game. God.
#5 Posted by Twin-Blade (6795 posts) -

For me, both Mass Effect 1 & 2. Monster Hunter Tri is also up there.

#6 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, and Bayonetta have been my favorite

#7 Posted by Zassimick (6247 posts) -

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was a fantastic singleplayer experience. Metal Gear Solid 4:Guns of the Patriots, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect 1 & 2 were both great as well.

There are so many great singleplayer campaigns out there, I'm in heaven. :P To list off a couple more: Dead Space, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Demon's Souls (even if I'm failing at it atm), Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

#8 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -
Call of duty 4 is short but far better than most long campaign.
#9 Posted by tubbyc (3659 posts) -

Demon's Souls.

Other stand-outs: MGS4, SMG, GTAIV, Uncharted 2 and I'm sure Red Dead Redemption (just started, but I liked Red Dead Revolver and this is apparently much better) and GoWIII will be up there as well.

#10 Posted by GramDubs (636 posts) -

MGS4, uncharted 2, heavy rain

#11 Posted by Ringx55 (5967 posts) -
MGS4, ME2, FFVII:CC, UC2, Heavy Rain, Bioshock.
#12 Posted by oldkingallant (4958 posts) -

I'd say Demon's Souls, Super Mario Galaxy 2, or Mass Effect 2... but Demon's Souls is disqualified because I played it all online and was thus technically constantly playing multiplayer :P.

Therefore, Mass Effect 2 or Super Mario Galaxy 2.

#13 Posted by Lethalhazard (5452 posts) -
Metroid Prime trilogy I guess. MGSIV was also pretty good.
#14 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

Mario & Luigi: Bowser`s Inside Story, Age of Empires: Age of Kings DS, any of the Stronghold games for PC

#15 Posted by Tigarian (213 posts) -

Uncharted 1 and 2 come to mind instantly, but Mass Effect, Red Dead, Heavy Rain and MGS 4 were also up there. The Half Life 2 series overlaps into this generation, so I'll include them as well.

#16 Posted by Tokeism (2306 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 and 2, Alan Wake, Read dead redemption, Halo 3 + ODST, half-life 2 + ep 1 and 2, Oblivion, Bioshock, Splinter cell conviction

EDIT

Batman AA

#17 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

MGS4, GOW3, inFamous, Condemned 2, Dead Space. I wanna say Demon's Souls but it really isn't the same offline. Vanquish, I'm sure, is gonna be another one on my list. Boy does that game look ******* amazing.

#18 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42584 posts) -
My favorite is Fallout 3 or Oblivion. :)
#19 Posted by Mcspanky37 (1695 posts) -

Uncharted 2 is definetly the best single player game this generation.

#20 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2409 posts) -

Uncharted 2 is definetly the best single player game this generation.

Mcspanky37

this and demons soul are definitely on my top list.

#21 Posted by AjaxNeron (2318 posts) -

SMG2, MGS4, UC2, SMG, Prime Trilogy.

kontejner44

Nailed it.

I'd also add Red Dead Redemption, Twilight Princess, Fallout 3, BioShock 2, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and a lot of others.

#22 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Metal Gear Solid 4, Mass Effect
#23 Posted by ubpoker123 (877 posts) -

There are countless great games I have not played this generation, but I am gonna give it up for Metal Gear Solid 4.

#24 Posted by NiteLights (1181 posts) -

Mass Effect, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 1 & 2, Bioshock, Crysis, Fallout 3 and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

#25 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12191 posts) -

Both Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. There's also Dragon Age: Origins, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Starcraft 2...
So many good games.

#26 Posted by Vesica_Prime (7062 posts) -

On the top of my head, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

#27 Posted by CTR360 (6952 posts) -
mgs4 uncharted2 heavy rain alan wake mass effect 2 orange box fallout 3 gta iv redemption batma aa bioshock gow3 gears1&2 smg2 oblivion tales of vesperia final fantasy 13
#28 Posted by mayceV (4599 posts) -
Alan wake or UC2, Red Dead, MGS4,
#29 Posted by fabz_95 (15424 posts) -
There are many great ones, SMG2, UC2, Braid and Assassins Creed 2. I'm not too sure about what is the best out of those though.
#30 Posted by norair (22 posts) -

red dead redemption,modern warfare 1&2,bad company 2,alan wake,bayonetta,batman:arkham asylum are at the top of my list.:D

#31 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
Gow3 Uncharted 2 MGS4 3d Dot Game Heroes Demons Souls Ratchet and Clank
#32 Posted by SpinoRaptor24 (9996 posts) -

Portal
Bayonetta
The World Ends With You

Among others.

#33 Posted by noob-saibot2010 (246 posts) -

red dead redemption then mass effect 2 and gears of war 2.alan wake was really great too.

#34 Posted by Tigarian (213 posts) -

Portal
Bayonetta
The World Ends With You

Among others.

SpinoRaptor24

Portal felt like a revolution, and then the novelty wore off. Don't get me wrong, it was a great game, but it felt like wasted potential. I hope Portal 2 fixes this.

Speaking of wasted potential:

This seemed like it should have been way better than it was. The concept, art and sound were top-notch, but it just too dang repetitive and frustrating. You can only fall to your death so many times before you just have to turn it off.

#35 Posted by coolnessmancool (1405 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 and 2

#36 Posted by kontejner44 (2025 posts) -

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

Portal
Bayonetta
The World Ends With You

Among others.

Tigarian

Portal felt like a revolution, and then the novelty wore off. Don't get me wrong, it was a great game, but it felt like wasted potential. I hope Portal 2 fixes this.

Speaking of wasted potential:

This seemed like it should have been way better than it was. The concept, art and sound were top-notch, but it just too dang repetitive and frustrating. You can only fall to your death so many times before you just have to turn it off.

Portal and Mirror's Edge are two of my favorites this gen too actually, it's just that to be in the top tier a game has to be really good too, quality wise. They where experiments, they where intentionally unpolished.

Portal 2 is looking good but where is the sequel to Mirror's Edge?!

#37 Posted by megadeth1984 (134 posts) -

God Of War Series (1,2 & 3)

Red Dead Redemption

Uncharted (1 & 2)

Call of Duty Modern Warfare

Assassin's Creed 2

#38 Posted by SpinoRaptor24 (9996 posts) -

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

Portal
Bayonetta
The World Ends With You

Among others.

Tigarian

Disagreed. I found it to be quite compelling throughout the story. And the Portal physics were pretty unique IMO.

I don't think Valve had the intention of making Portal an entire game by itself. Which is why it was packaged with the Orange Box and became a surprise sleeper hit.

#39 Posted by ShuichiChamp24 (5014 posts) -

From the top of my head

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the New Moon. The game just stood out the most to me for some reason.

#40 Posted by -Feath- (1452 posts) -
I found Cryostasis to have the best narrative, writing and atmosphere. Linearity done amazingly well.
#41 Posted by lordlors (5575 posts) -
The Witcher Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 No More Heroes 1 & 2 Mass Effect 1 & 2 Dead Space Dargon Age: Origins
#42 Posted by JONO51 (792 posts) -

STALKER SoC without a doubt.

#43 Posted by xdude85 (4329 posts) -

BioShock, Dead Space, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, The Orange Box, Call of Duty 2, Battlefield: Bad Company, and Wolfenstein.

#44 Posted by Ryan_Som (2336 posts) -

For me, I'm gonna have to say Uncharted 2, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, and inFamous. There are many other games that might be on my list that I haven't played yet (Mass Effect, God Of War III, Super Mario Galaxy 2, etc.), but as of now that's where it stands.

Currently looking forward to Mafia II as my next big single player hopeful. Surprisingly, also looking forward to Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days.

#45 Posted by yokofox33 (29242 posts) -

Persona 4. I'm a huge fan of the SMT series, so yeah. Persona 4 was just incredible for me.

#46 Posted by killerfist (19807 posts) -

Assassins Creed 2 (ending was crap). GOW3. RDR. MGS4.

#47 Posted by chocolate1325 (32437 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2

#48 Posted by Malta_1980 (11161 posts) -

MGS4, Uncharted titles, SMG2, Heavenly Sword, inFamous, RDR, Arma2, SC2, Geow games, ME games...

#49 Posted by i5750at4Ghz (5839 posts) -
Heavy Rain. Perfect for someone like me.
#50 Posted by johny300 (12494 posts) -
MGS4, HEAVY RAIN, DEMONS SOULS, UNCHARTED 2,GOW3.