Best graphics - Console game of last gen

• 54 results
#1 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1215 posts) -

And post pics of the game....I would but I don't know the code to link an image.

You can choose one that you think is best due to aesthetics or art direction....not just the bells and whistles of lighting and shadows and textures.

I ask b/c I just rented Killzone 3 through PSNow and it really looks good.

I think that game is the best of last gen.

Oh and don't include PC. Yes, PC has the best graphics 99% of the time so lets not even go down that road.

#2 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (987 posts) -
@mr_huggles_dog said:

And post pics of the game....I would but I don't know the code to link an image.

You can choose one that you think is best due to aesthetics or art direction....not just the bells and whistles of lighting and shadows and textures.

I ask b/c I just rented Killzone 3 through PSNow and it really looks good.

I think that game is the best of last gen.

Oh and don't include PC. Yes, PC has the best graphics 99% of the time so lets not even go down that road.

Blog it.

#3 Posted by anderswhk (67 posts) -

I'm a PC gamer, but i must say that The Last of Us is a really beautiful game. So much detail. It's a shame it's all so low rez.

#4 Posted by funsohng (28117 posts) -

I don't know, they all look pretty much same too me. I never cared for graphics, especially on consoles.

#5 Edited by mikhail (2332 posts) -

Best graphics of last gen, but don't include games for the platform with the best graphics...got it.

#6 Posted by BldgIrsh (2694 posts) -

Crysis 3 on the PC.

(I can hear the herd.)

#7 Posted by Daforsaken1 (71 posts) -

Graphics and consoles don't go hand in hand /some system wars stuff.

#8 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3719 posts) -

Crysis 3 console version .

#9 Edited by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. Definitely underrated. Great artstyle. Worlds looked beautiful.

#10 Edited by gpuking (2888 posts) -

This game kills everyone bar Beyond Two Souls.

#11 Posted by sukraj (23060 posts) -

tomb raider

#12 Posted by Rock-City (1300 posts) -

Yeah, I'd say God of War Ascension pretty much shit on every console game I saw last gen for the most part. But Beyond Two Souls, if you see the part where she's on top of that train and running through the forest. I cannot believe that was done on a PS3. That game was gorgeous. Shouts to UC3 and Tlou, but they didn't touch Gow Ascension, and Beyond Two Souls. Two way tie.

#13 Posted by PAL360 (26939 posts) -

I would say it's between GTAV, RDR, Gears 3, Halo 4 and The Last of Us.

#14 Posted by TheFlush (5565 posts) -

Ni No Kuni

#15 Posted by adders99 (2610 posts) -

for me it would be GTA5... It just looked so nice on that old hardware.

#16 Posted by Blabadon (26654 posts) -

Probably Uncharted 3

#17 Posted by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

I think it's God Of War, but that game is cheating a bit by being linear with a non-player-controlled camera.

#18 Posted by heguain (669 posts) -

Witcher 2 Xbox 360 or Crysis 3.

#19 Posted by jake44 (2021 posts) -

The Last of Us I guess.

#20 Posted by WallofTruth (1746 posts) -

@gpuking said:

This. But Beyond shouldn't even count, the game was crap, GoW at least has fun gameplay.

#21 Posted by intotheminx (703 posts) -

Toss up between Crysis 3, Witcher 2, and Tomb Raider.

#22 Edited by pelvist (4870 posts) -

I agree with the people saying Crysis 3.

#23 Posted by MiiiiV (506 posts) -

Out of the last gen games I'd say Halo 4 for having great graphics and a lot of things going on at the same time together with a somewhat stable 30 fps and Uncharted 2/3 also look great, even The Last of Us looks really good but that game has to many frame rate issues which brings it down a bit.
Many late games in each generation usually look great and it's hard to pick one which really stands out.

#24 Posted by happyduds77 (1488 posts) -

Uncharted 3

#25 Posted by gameofthering (10321 posts) -

@sukraj said:

tomb raider

I'll pick this.

I don't know how it looked on the PS3/360 but it was great looking on the PC.

#26 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -

Uncharted 3. Or Halo 4. Lol at people thinking TW2 and Crysis 3 on consoles.

#28 Posted by lostrib (37732 posts) -

there is no code to post an image

Just hit the "Img" button and follow the directions on the popup

#29 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3616 posts) -

Out of games I played:

Xbox 360: Halo 4, Gears of War 3, PGR4, Lost Planet 2, Resident Evil 6.

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, Sonic Colors. Wii had a lot of great looking games. Modern Warfare Reflex and 3 also looked really good on Wii, as well as MadWorld, Spyborgs, Tenchu: Shadow Assassins, Need for Speed Nitro, Monster Hunter Tri, and Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, among many others.

#30 Edited by GotNugz (675 posts) -

Too lazy to post pictures but here is a reasonable unbiased list.

1. Crysis 2 Xbox 360

2. The last of us PS3

3. Resident Evil 5 Xbox 360

4. Killzone 3 PS3

5. Gears of war 3 Xbox 360

6. Tie For a 4/GT7

7. Halo 4 Xbox 360

8. Elder scrolls Skyrim

9. Super Mario galaxy

10. Final fantasy 13

#31 Posted by GotNugz (675 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: In what ways is halo 4 and uncharted superior to Crysis and witcher 2?

#32 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1597 posts) -

Viva Pinata.

#33 Posted by kingcobrasoccer (1903 posts) -

Gears of War 3 and Halo 4. I would also add Batman Arkham City to the mix.

#34 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@GotNugz said:

@scottpsfan14: In what ways is halo 4 and uncharted superior to Crysis and witcher 2?

Halo 4 was designed with the strengths of the 360 in mind. They pushed the machine specifically. There are quite a few graphical elements that are better about Halo 4 than C3 or TW2. Everything that makes Crysis 3 such a graphical powerhouse is not present in the console version. Taking those things away leaves a very bland rush job. Asthetics are subjective, so if you prefer how Crysis 3 looks on it to other games, fair enough. But there are muddy face textures, world textures, flat lighting, blocky objects, low resolution and a bad framerate. Over all leaves a lot to be desired.

With something like Uncharted 3, they had to work on one console alone so they pushed the visuals on that one device. All Crytek did was downscale for the consoles. They didn't intentially push the console hardware if you get me.

Uncharted 3's limitations are the asset and level detail themselves what the PS3 hardware would allow. The very fact that Crysis 2/3 runs better on the 360 means that they didn't utilize the extra 7 SPE's of the PS3 like Naughty Dog did. Where Halo 4 utilized the more powerful GPU in the 360 to it's full potential. Multiplat developers simply don't have time to get the optimum performance out of a console. They have to cater to several platforms. With Uncharted 3, the textures are pushed as far as the PS3's memory will allow. Crytek simply just lowered the texture resolution and graphics settings until it ran good enough. Resulting in way too many muddy looking textures consistently throughout the game. It's like they never bothered checking the results.

These images show a game that seem fully realized for PS3. I know there isn't a PC version to compare, but the texture quality is very consistent as it was catered exactly for the PS3. Also note that ND are very good with managing memory.

They didn't compromise for the sake of compromising. Nathan Drake actually looks detailed and has servicable texture mapping.

Psycho has muddy face textures on console and the lighting just looks way too flat..

Your opinion is your opinion though. I just explained the reasoning for mine.

#35 Edited by Pray_to_me (2877 posts) -

GoW: A or GTA5.

#36 Posted by wiifan001 (18425 posts) -

Crysis 3.

#37 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1215 posts) -

Holy crap....I forgot to even buy/play GOW: A.

This is one of the reason why I made this thread....to see if there were any cool looking games I forgot about last gen.

Edit: And I loved Beyond 2 Souls....it was my GotY that year.

#38 Posted by AM-Gamer (4040 posts) -

GOW:A for me. I couldn't nominate beyond two souls because the game is way to scripted and linear. It looks outstanding but GOW:A looks amazing and actually has gameplay.

#39 Edited by sukraj (23060 posts) -

@gameofthering said:

@sukraj said:

tomb raider

I'll pick this.

I don't know how it looked on the PS3/360 but it was great looking on the PC.

It looked good on last gen consoles but it looks even better on the PC or PS4 and Xbox One.

#40 Posted by scatteh316 (4961 posts) -

Wow the image quality on those Uncharted picture is disgusting!! You guys actually play that?

#41 Posted by locopatho (20384 posts) -

I think Viva Pinata still might be my favourite.

The Uncharted games look excellent in the jungles/ruins but went to crap in buildings/interiors. Well not crap, but not very nice to look at either.

#42 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5143 posts) -

MGS4 is six years old and it still looks better than most current gen shit.

#43 Posted by Krelian-co (11204 posts) -

@anderswhk said:

I'm a PC gamer, but i must say that The Last of Us is a really beautiful game. So much detail. It's a shame it's all so low rez.

#44 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7325 posts) -

The Last of Us

#45 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25769 posts) -

That kraken/squid thing boss battle at the end of God of War: Ascension. That whole section looked ridiculous. It could pass for an 8th gen launch game.

GTA 5 is pure sorcery.

#46 Posted by ni6htmare01 (983 posts) -

Hard to say! Alan Wake wasn't pretty good! Uncharted 2 and 3, The last of Us and the 2 God of War games were pretty amazing!

#47 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@gpuking said:

This. But Beyond shouldn't even count, the game was crap, GoW at least has fun gameplay.

dude ascension was by far the worst GoW in the series.

#48 Edited by Wasdie (50002 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim said:

That kraken/squid thing boss battle at the end of God of War: Ascension. That whole section looked ridiculous. It could pass for an 8th gen launch game.

GTA 5 is pure sorcery.

GTA 5 also ran sub 30fps most of the time on both consoles as a result.

Game was clearly developed on the PC with intentions to port to next gen. How they managed the downscaling is pretty much proof. The first images we saw of GTA V were far better than what we played. Now they are showing PC/PS4/One video and you can tell how much they really did downscale. It isn't simply a HD version like TLoU is. The PC/PS4/One versions clearly have much higher resolution assets (higher textures, much more detailed geometries, and just larger amounts of objects per scene), more robust animations (the speedometer in the cars is actually animated), and far better lighting/shading than the PS3/360 version had.

All of that said, it's amazing they squeezed the game onto the last gen consoles. It ended up looking amazing depsite the poor performance and the obvious limitations imposed by the outdated consoles. It's amazing what deferred renderers can do to an image. The new version coming this fall is going to be mindblowing.

As for graphics last gen I'm going to have to say for pure graphic fidelity either Uncharted 3 or The Last of US takes the cake. However Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts and the Ratchet and Clank games on the PS3 may win for pure image quality. The cartoony artstyle paired with modern lighting and shading results in some fantastic image quality. This is also why Mario Kart 8 looks so damn good.

#49 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72434 posts) -

i thought Final Fantasy 13 had some great graphics

#50 Edited by ni6htmare01 (983 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@walloftruth said:

@gpuking said:

dude ascension was by far the worst GoW in the series.

Yeah! Krato feel kind of lames compare to the other GoW!