thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Instead of just focusing on the same old discussion over and over again like how pretty a game can look or how single object compares to another single object from a different video game, we could focus on the overall presentation. For example how many different objects in the game are rendered in real time. The obvious choice in my opinion has to be total war warhammer, it certainly doesn't look as pretty as most current gen third/first person games we have seen or played, but it renders thousand upon thousand of individual animated objects in real time, which is quite a huge accomplishment on its own.

Are there any other current gen games you guys might have found particular groundbreaking in terms of the sheer amount of objects being rendered in real time or various other unique, technical or impressive aspects?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

The tanning effect in DOA: X3 is nothing short of groundbreaking.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@thepclovingguy:

Must have been a blast for the artists! If I had to think up that many soldiers, I would've just copy and pasted the crap out of it. #### that!!

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@freedomfreak: I'm surprised you noticed.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2560 Posts

@freedomfreak: I don't know if you're joking; but sincerely yes it is amazing what they have done with effects and physics.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thepclovingguy
Loading Video...

Since I don't wanna be biased unlike gpuking, I am also going to mention Days gone as well. I am not a huge fan of zombie games, but you can't deny that this looks quite impressive at 4.13, reminds me a lot of world war z. This must put a lot of strain on the playstation 4.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

The Witcher 3 - PC (well duh)

Dying Light - PC

Uncharted 4

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thepclovingguy
@GhostHawk196 said:

The Witcher 3 - PC (well duh)

Dying Light - PC

Uncharted 4

Sure those games you mentioned look pretty as hell, but why do you consider them technical masterpieces, keep in mind graphics aren't the only deciding factor as any game can look pretty.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:
Loading Video...

Since I don't wanna be biased unlike gpuking, I am also going to mention Days gone as well. I am not a huge fan of zombie games, but you can't deny that this looks quite impressive at 4.13, reminds me a lot of world war z. This must put a lot of strain on the playstation 4.

yeah days gone looks amazing, however so does uncharted 4 and It suffers from the same scripted scenes. If sony exclusives actually manages to create a game driven by AI instead of set pieces, they might make a good game, in my opinion of course.

I know uc 4 is highly praised and so will this game but in the end, these are very boring games if you don't like scripted action scenes.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

@thepclovingguy: I don't have a completely objective answer to describe this but I usually go by this, if I boot up the game and the first things that comes to my mind is "holy **** that is beautiful within 30mins of gameplay then I consider that a technical masterpiece.

If I was to explain the games I've listed then it'd be this, the shadows or lighting in dying light is easily the best I've ever seen in any game, the beautiful landscapes in Witcher 3 and the blue oceans in Uncharted 4.

Tomb raider had the best looking hair by far, it looks like Lara conditions her hair a lot but the rest of the game was just a brainless shooter.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Total War: Warhammer

Witcher 3

The Division

AC: Unity

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I'll go with The Witcher 3, followed by Total War Warhammer and Uncharted 4.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Total Warhammer is awesome as is The Witcher 3, Toussant is gorgeous.

The Division is another, the attention to detail in that game is amazing. I don't think I've seen another game with the same level of detail.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The player/ball/player stuff in pes. I never see it brought up. This subtle body movements based on what is going on

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

A technical masterpiece to me is about balance. Any game can render one aspect of the graphics to amazing level, such as huge NPC counts, fancy water, GPU particles etc. But to have them all rendered at once is very hard to come by, I don't think any game did that yet. So you can't just call a game a technical masterpiece just have sheer number of uni count only. If quantity is king then even Flower on PS3 is impressive, tens of thousands of blades of grass > your warhammer unit count number wise. I think your thread should be renamed.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

MgsV

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thepclovingguy

Are you really comparing low poly non animated grass to actual npcs, damn I didn't know you could fall so low, gpuking. Manipulative and deceiving as always. Unlike you I don't post same fanboy nonsense over and over again. You simply can't accept the fact that there are pc games that are far more graphically intense than uncharted 4 and horizon zero combined.

@gpuking said:

A technical masterpiece to me is about balance. Any game can render one aspect of the graphics to amazing level, such as huge NPC counts, fancy water, GPU particles etc. But to have them all rendered at once is very hard to come by, I don't think any game did that yet. So you can't just call a game a technical masterpiece just have sheer number of uni count only. If quantity is king then even Flower on PS3 is impressive, tens of thousands of blades of grass > your warhammer unit count number wise. I think your thread should be renamed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Starfox Zero. As showy as some games are, like Uncharted 4, most have issues with character-to-world interactions.

panda30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By panda30
Member since 2016 • 941 Posts

ashes of singularity

Deadrising3

its crazy how good the character models are yet to have this many on screen

Daysgone looks good but when people say OMG I never seen that many zombis on screen its just funny to me in that demo there was no more then 30 or so during gameplay

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

@panda30: Dead Rising 3 is pretty impressive but you have to admit the zombie a.I. is way different and probably takes up more resources than what is needed in Dead Rising games.

On topic, so far I've been amazed at what Naughty Dog did with Uncharted 4 and how beautiful the environments are. Then Forza Horizon 2 with its open world and how amazing the multiplayer is and the amount of variety offered.

Junky-trunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Junky-trunk
Member since 2016 • 228 Posts

@commander: you complained about scripted scenes so Naughty Dog gave you The Last of Us, then you starting complaining it was to boring

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

The Witcher 3

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17804 Posts

when considering a technical masterpiece i think the hardware the game is also running on should also be a factor. e.g. which would be the bigger technical masterpiece...getting total war running on a PC or getting the game to run with no compromises on a wiiu.

still total war is definately up there. no matter the hardware, getting 10s of thousands of units on the screen and fighting it out is always impressive and the game does it while also looking great. considering the limits on the PC side in regards to draw calls and getting multiple CPU cores to work effectively in games (caused by old APIs...i hope TCA are working on a vulkan upgrade for their tech. it would really benefit) it is indeed impressive.

uncharted 4. im not a fan of the game but credit where its due...naughty dog made the PS4 sing. there is always a game people use to show off their shiny new console...naughty dog are really good at making those games.

xenoblade chronicles X: monolithsoft once again added to the rule book on how to squeez a lot out of a little. the game has no loading screens. the world is massive. the detail draw distance is very impressive (things like watefalls are still animated even when they are really far away for example), there can be a lot of units on the screen and the performance is still absolutely rock solid. there are clear compromises of course but still a technical masterpiece in my book.

witcher 3. once you get to cities the tech really shines. CDPR did a great job of making cities feel old and lived in and alive. there were plenty of NPCs about, the attention to detail was brilliant. again bonus points for minimal loading screens. very impressive.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I got to give it to rsye. Game sucks but it sure do look mighty pretty and consider is a game from the early gen makes it more impressive.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58824 Posts
God Of War 4
God Of War 4

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

This game has some seriously underrated visuals.

I absolutely adore the visual and sound design.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@junky-trunk said:

@commander: you complained about scripted scenes so Naughty Dog gave you The Last of Us, then you starting complaining it was to boring

the last of us has a lot of cutscenes and the ai is really bad. Not to mention it has a lot of set pieces as well, only it feels like an 80's arcade game instead of being cinematic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

Witcher 3 or AC Unity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

The tanning effect in DOA: X3 is nothing short of groundbreaking.

I'm uhh...not a big fan of tan lines, but certainly DOA:X3 has some industry-leading visuals and fanny wiggle simulation!

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

@BigBadBully:

I played fh2 and was underwhelmed by it graphically, I realise it's an open world game but it didn't wow me like I had expected it to from what everyone had said about it.

It's not the best racing game in the world but Driveclub in the wet still amazes me, there's been a few times my wife has walked in and asked what I was watching on tv then realising it was a game.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Technically Total War is impressive, artistically it's dull as hell. Not to mention that the gameplay is incredibly niche (grown men playing with little soldiers like when they were kids).

Technically Dire Straits were great musicians but I wanted to cut my ears off at one point to avoid the danger I might accidentally hear the boring c***s ever again.

If you play games based on how technically impressive you believe them to be you must have a very boring games collection. Also, while I'm here, you may want to desist from constantly calling people out as fanboys with a handle like 'thepclovingguy'.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

Technically Total War is impressive, artistically it's dull as hell. Not to mention that the gameplay is incredibly niche (grown men playing with little soldiers like when they were kids).

Technically Dire Straits were great musicians but I wanted to cut my ears off at one point to avoid the danger I might accidentally hear the boring c***s ever again.

If you play games based on how technically impressive you believe them to be you must have a very boring games collection. Also, while I'm here, you may want to desist from constantly calling people out as fanboys with a handle like 'thepclovingguy'.

Im gonna bookmark this

Good god this is so quality trolling that it belongs in a museum of trolls!

Blueinheaven

You are my troll hero!!!

Look at this people!

This is how its done!!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GarGx1

@blueinheaven said:

An ultra mature adult posting on video game forum giving forth his wisdom, listen and heed his wise words. I'll bet you don't even see the irony in your post.

Anyway the only real difference between a boy and man is the toys are more expensive.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Battlefront looks and sounds really really really fucking good

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Total Warhammer is awesome as is The Witcher 3, Toussant is gorgeous.

The Division is another, the attention to detail in that game is amazing. I don't think I've seen another game with the same level of detail.

The Division could have been amazing. Too bad it's a crap game, and it's been severely downgraded.

Loading Video...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44018 Posts

@sts106mat said:
@GarGx1 said:

Anyway the only real difference between a boy and man is the toys are more expensive.

I am having that quote for myself. thanks!

It goes... The difference between the men and the boys are the price of their toys. :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44018 Posts

@sts106mat:

Thanks man and I really do have expensive toys. lol

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#42  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

It's hard to tell just one. we got to a point where basically every game looks and performs pretty well. In my opinion some of the most impressive ones, by no order, are: The Witcher 3, SW Battlefront, Uncharted 4, Batman AK, The Division, Doom, etc...

I can one speak for PS4, though.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Battlefront kicks ass .......when the goddamned servers are working properly, otherwise there you are looking at the exact same scene over and over again because you are trapped in the event horizon of internet lag.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#44 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

The Division needs some love in here. Downgrade or no, it looks stunning for a open world game, and the snow effects are second to none.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

I'll go with The Witcher 3, followed by Total War Warhammer and Uncharted 4.

same - although I'd add more to the list if artistry alone counted

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thepclovingguy

@blueinheaven said:

Its pretty obvious that you are either trolling or joking, but I am going to address your points anyway. If total war is a child game then the same could be said about most other games on the market as running around with toy guns isn't much different than playing with toy soldiers. Also, loving something hardly makes you a fanboy, fanboys are mostly people who can't be reason with and who ignore facts like "gpuking" for instance.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GarGx1

@thepclovingguy said:
@blueinheaven said:

Its pretty obvious that you are either trolling or joking, but I am going to address your points anyway. If total war is a child game then the same could be said about most other games on the market as running around with toy guns isn't much different than playing with toy soldiers. Also, loving something hardly makes you a fanboy, fanboys are mostly people who can't be reason with and who ignore facts like "gpuking" for instance.

You're confusing "fanboy" with "Troll that everyone should completely ignore"

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

TLG looks to fit that criteria.

The E3 demo looked insane. Each feather and grass is individually rendered and the game has its own dedicated physics engine. The animation and attention to detail is crazy good. Trico is the most life like creature I have ever seen in a game.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Uncharted 4

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@thepclovingguy said:
@blueinheaven said:

You're confusing "fanboy" with "Troll that everyone should completely ignore"

Poor blue, getting stomped.

@aroxx_ab said:

Uncharted 4

LOL! Funny joke bro.