Best Controllers of all time

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

I've held every console controller from early 90's and it's been this for me so far

Wii U Pro > X1 controller > PS4 Controller. Wii U pad is a different situation.

Wii U Pro :

This is my favorite controller as it gives the most comfortable feeling and fits well in my hand. It feels this controller is best designed for shooter games. I've had blast playing Mass Effect 3 on it and I refuse to play it with any other controller.

Pros: -Sleek and shiny

-Best size and weight for gaming

-Battery doesn't die ( 80 hours? lol)

-Best controller for shooting games, the two analogs are lined together at the same level (the 2 analogs are reversed position to the buttons and pad compared to the PS4 controller

Cons: -Not enough shooter games to enjoy the controller further

-No headphone jack (this is a big for me)

X1 controller :

If Wii U pro scored 91, then this would be 90. I knew this is going to be my favorite the minute I held it. It grasps your hand very well it's very bulky and firm. Best analogs and triggers I've tried. Triggers have enough resistance to make shooter or racing games more fun and make sense when firing or hitting pedals. Analogs are great and sensitive. Although, I had problem with its heavy weight. When I held it with out batteries, I loved it, but once I inserted the 2 AA size batteries, it added so much weight. It's really noticeable. More than that, it requires an attachment to be able to plug your headphone which even adds more weight. Also, it forces your hands in hard which shouldn't be this much. Don't get me wrong I am liking the grasp, but as I said it shouldn't be forcing your hands in this much.

Pros: -Best analogs and triggers

-Great grasp

-Attractive white Xbox logo light (I am digging it)

Cons: - Still feel like it should be a little lighter to give a comfort grasp

- it gives a natural feeling when positioning your 2 fingers over the triggers (L2, R2), but it wasn't comfortable for me when trying to reach LB and RB (L1,R1) even when playing with four fingers. I am not sure if I am going to be switching between 2 fingers on the triggers over RB and LB or I might be able to play with 4 fingers. I had the same issue with Wii U Pro, but PS4 controller managed to give a much comfortable feeling when placing all 4 fingers on L2,R2,L1, and R1 at the same time

-Headphone jack requires an attachment-piece sold separately (really Microsoft? tryina make quick bucks?)

-Not rechargeable and again rechargeable battery kit sold separately (:s)

Some might argue, buy rechargeable batteries like Duracell's, but I've tried them with 360 controller and I don't recommend them at all. I favor traditional batteries over them. You have to spend around $45 for the headphone jack adapter and the rechargeable battery kit to get the most of this controller.

PS4 controller:

This one was a winner for before I've tried X1 controller or the Wii U pro. Right now I am liking both of the 2 controllers I've mentioned more and I'd give it 89. a little less than the X1 controller because X1 controller had a tighter grasp. First when I held it, I wasn't too much comfortable. Maybe? I had a strange feeling. It was kind of large and it felt like it's forcing my hands out unlike X1 controller which forces your hands in. It's too wide. The right end is too far from the left end which give it a large size. Still, it showed great results when playing games and I've liked it even more when I was gaming on PS4. It has great advantages over the 2 above controllers with a touch pad and headphone jack already in it. Touch pad was great and I've used it mainly in games like Final Fantasy XIV Realm Born which showed great results for me like when trying to move the cursor, I wasn't using the analog to do so. Maybe it works better for games that requires you to move units and check map frequently? Kind of hard to imagine since the pad is small, but who knows.

Pros: - A decent controller and best controller Sony has made

- I'd still give it kudos for its grasp

- Plug any headphone easily

- Great triggers and much much improvement over its predecessors ( but I like X1 triggers more as they have more resistance)

-Touch pad can add more features to current and futures games

-Rechargeable (read this Microsoft)

Cons: - Bigger than any other controller I've tried and forces your hands out

Not sure what the light is for, but I don't really see it benefecial for hardcore games. Maybe it's good for indie and small titles like puzzle games and such.

Wii U Pad :

Now this controller is staggering me. I don't know whether to call a controller or not. Maybe a sub system. It's great and I love it and I can see why it's a mandatory for Wii U to operate. It will shine for games like Pikmin. Games that uses the map a lot like strategy games. So far I've played Scribblenaughts and Wonderful 101 and the controllers feels it made for those type of games. But, sometimes I just want to lay down and relax while I am playing holding a more traditional controller because Wii U pad is really really big. So, I prefer to use the Wii U Pro over it when playing shooter or actions games. Another great feature which only this controller has is you are able to totally go off TV and play games on it (amazing right?) Numerous times I've used it before I go to bed. So, I don't have any negative perception towards it.

Some of you might like a wide controller like the PS4 controller and some might favor a smaller tighter controller like the X1 controller. Right now, I am liking X1 controller the most. You just miss the way it fells in your hands

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

The X1 controller would have been better if the RB and LB actually worked properly, and it didn't use those dumb ass batteries like a game boy did 30 years ago.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I agree. Wii U pro is the the best controller I have ever used. The triggers could be pressure sensitive but armored core and racing sims are the only thing I know of that use it. Of those armored core would never come to wii U and I don't care for racing sims. As far as headphone jacks go It's missed but not necessary.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

Xbox 360 controller was great. Haven't had much X1 experience, though I've had enough to know that the bumper complaints weren't an issue with me. PS4 controller is also pretty solid, big improvement over the DS3, which I had issues with its triggers and its long convex analogs which are remedied with the DS4. And now the DS4 has a headphone jack like the Xbox 360s and X1s makes these very similar IMO.

the X1 and PS4 controllers are equally great IMO, except stories I hear about how they're both made by the same cheap Chinese corner cutting that'll lead to failing analogs, and the PS4 analog tips rubbing off, or the bumper buttons on the PS4 getting stuck. The X1 controller sounds slightly better in those regards, but I imagine by the time I get a PS4 those won't be an issue. I'd give the edge to the X1 controller, for the trigger rumbling. Then again the PS4 is made for charging, the X1 controller takes batteries and needs battery upgrades. Overall, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, I'd say I'd favor the X1 controller though myself, but I wouldn't want to argue with someone who though the PS4 controller was better.

Anyhow, last gen, the Xbox 360 controller was easily superior to the PS3 controller. The DS3 triggers were a big drawback for me. I could care less whether the D-pad was better, fighting games weren't that big for me, and most games use the D-pad for weapon or inventory selection or shortcuts. Plus, the Xbox 360 analogs were much easier for me to control, they were shorter than the PS3's and had concave tips instead of convex. Movement of the analogs was more fine on the Xbox 360 and the DS3 analogs didn't move as smoothly and sort of toppled more making refined movements harder to pull off. Plus the Xbox 360 had an awesome keypad, also superior to the DS3s keypad attachment.

As for the Wii U controller, it's comfortable, not great by a longshot. The placement of the right analogs over the buttons IMO just feels strange. Plus, I like the shorter analogs, but the tips are convex, I'm not a fan of that.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

The X1 controller would have been better if the RB and LB actually worked properly, and it didn't use those dumb ass batteries like a game boy did 30 years ago.

What is even more odd is that the Gameboy wasn't even out 30 years ago

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I wish the Wii U pro controller had PC support like the xbone controller.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

SO much this. If RB/LB weren't made by an engineer that went full r*tard it'd be the best controller ever created (minus the wtf batteries inside a console controller released in 2014 and sold with a system worth half a grand...................)

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

GC and 360 for me.

maybe Xbone as well since it seems similar to the 360's controller, but I haven't really got to mess around with it much.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

360 controller for me. Minus the shitty dpad it was a damn good controller.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

Any controller that doesn't come with a console attached. I love my wireless 360 controller.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like all the xbox controllers especially the 360 and Xbox One.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@fgjnfgh: Who cares about controllers ...seriously now.

I play games not controllers. I could enjoy really good games even with SNES controller , i wouldnt mind at all. Stop this nonsense about controllers. I remember myself having great time even with a 1 button controller as a kid. So what ?

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Keep it coming xbot....got nothing else so resort to controller lol

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I have not used the Xbox One controller enough to judge, but the WiiU Pro controller I think is the best. Not only are the analog sticks great, but the dpad is maybe the best i've used on any controller period. I haven't used the ps4 controller enough maybe, either, as there aren't any games on the console.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@ninjapirate2000 said:

360 controller for me. Minus the shitty dpad it was a damn good controller.

This. The left analog and left button placement is perfect IMO.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I've spent more time with the dualshock 3 so I'll go with that lol.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Best:

1. Xbox One

2. Xbox 360

3. Wii U Pro

Worst:

1. Wii Remote

2. PS3 SixAxis

3. PS3 Dualshock 3

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

From what I have used, Wii U tablet>Xbox 360>Wii U Pro>Gamecube>Xbox>Dreamcast>DS3>DS2>DS1>Wii Mote>N64>SNES>Genesis>NES

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#22 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Wii Remote and Nunchuk, Classic Controller Pro, and the Xbox 360 controller are my favourites. The PS2 controller is really good too.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

My fav is the 360 controller.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

As long as people don't say any Dual Shock controller, I'm okay with their answer.

Personally, I don't really have a favorite. I like all of the Xbox controllers (particularly the original big one), the Dreamcast controller, all the Nintendo controllers. Many others.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

360 and DS4. Lovely controllers that go well with my strong, manly American hands.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Vaasman  Online
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

N64 controller. It comes with 3 dildoes therefore it is an amazing bargain.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

360 controller = Perfection.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fgjnfgh

@freedomfreak said:

360 and DS4. Lovely controllers that go well with my strong, manly American hands.

try lifting dumbbells then lol

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts
@fgjnfgh said:

try lifting dumbbells then lol

Oh dear, Lord, no. Dumbbells are heavy.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#31 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The Wii U Pro followed closely by the Gamecube controller. Both fit extremely well to my hands.

@Vaasman said:

N64 controller. It comes with 3 dildoes therefore it is an amazing bargain.

It is quite a bargain, indeed. Never thought of it that way.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#32  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

eat my whole asshole you annoying little shit haha!

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

DS2

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

360 controller

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

lol, good stuff

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

Xbox One controller is the best by far.

HighPitcairn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 HighPitcairn
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

360 and DS4 is my favorite controller.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

The Gamecube controller got it right, the placement and feel of it was unrivaled. The only grip I had with it was how short the cord was.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#39 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@fgjnfgh:

I don't understand. Where is the X1 controller forcing your hands into exactly? Mine is an inanimate object with no ability to force anything on me

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

1. 360 Controller (Third Party Pad with Air Flow and Led Lights) This is it - This controller is amazing, I love the airflow for sweaty hands and the LED lights look cool. Considering its not made by Microsoft the quality is the same as any other 360 controller

2. 360 Controller Vanilla - Its a great controller, great Analogue stick placement, nice size and weight. Only the D-pad which is not very good, however a lot of games do not use the D-pad for precision stuff so its not a big deal.

3. Mouse & Keyboard (if that counts)

4) Dreamcast Controller - Revolutionary for the time, despite being large I though it was very comfortable to use.

5) Cyborg V.3 Rumble Pad - Insanely good controller, would be top of the list but it does not work properly with as many games like the 360 controllers do, However I used it as a replacement Ps3 controller last generation a lot better than the Dualshock 3

It has the same thumb stick placement as a 360 pad, but an excellent D-Pad, the D-Pad and left Analogue stick can even be switched around to match play station style thumb stick placement if you feel like getting Arthritis .

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cainetao11

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

The whole thing!!! Wow lostrib, this is a challenge

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

NES

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fgjnfgh

@cainetao11: it's pulling my hands in together because of its small size

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

MS and Sony both make great controllers.

Nintendo has never made a quality modern controller

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@AzatiS: some people don't care about controllers but a lot of people do. For instance, last gen 360 was my primary gaming console because I enjoyed playing with the 360 controller over DS3. I honestly think controllers add to the experience of playing a game because if the controller is something you enjoy playing with you enjoy the game more, over playing with a "tolerable" controller.

My personal favorites:

Sega Saturn (slim)

Xbox 360

PS4

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cainetao11

@fgjnfgh said:

@cainetao11: it's pulling my hands in together because of its small size

I figured but I couldn't help have fun with it.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

kb/m

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

360 controller is so overrated. Shitty D Pad and the stick placement is only useful for shooters. Forget about playing fighters on it. Don't bother with the "everyone should use arcade sticks" excuse. I only use pads for fighters. The DS4 is the best imo. DS2 is 2nd.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

None TBH. I'm pretty adaptable to any controllers. If I had to really choose based on my past experience, I would say my top 5:

1. Original XBOX-S controllers
  2. Gamecube (both Wavebird & Wired)
  3. Sega Genesis 6 Button controllers
  4. Sega Dreamcast
  5. Sony Dual Shock 3

Right now, I'm simply a PS3 gamer and the DS3, although the "triggers" are pretty shitty, has served me well throughout the years.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Top 5:

PS4 is best.
PS3
Gamecube
PS2/1

Believe it or not, the Virtual Boy controller was kinda comfortable as well.