Best Combination of Shooter and RPG in history?

• 86 results
Edited 2 months, 25 days ago

Poll: Best Combination of Shooter and RPG in history? (60 votes)

Deus Ex 17%
System Shock 2 7%
Deus Ex Human Revolution 13%
S.T.A.L.K.E.R 18%
Mass Effect 45%

What is the Best combination of RPG and Shooter ever in history?

i go with Very first Deus Ex and Stalker. system shock 2 was great as well but i prefer setting and universe of former 2.

but in recent memories. Deus Ex Human Revolution is closest and best thing to RPG and Shooter. they all are indeed great games (minus mass effect).

in future i see Cyberpunk 2077 will fall into this category.

#1 Edited by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

Dues Ex.

Edit: aw fuck I meant Human Revolution, didn't see the option for it, oh well.

#2 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

Deus Ex is a great RPG, but it's a terrible shooter.

I would say Bioshock, the plasmids work just like spells from an RPG and there are things like weapon upgrading, health bar and 'mana' bar upgrades.

#3 Posted by stationplay_4 (442 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I would say Bioshock, the plasmids work just like spells from an RPG and there are things like weapon upgrading, health bar and 'mana' bar upgrades.

bioshock is sooooooooooo overrated

#4 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1775 posts) -

Deus Ex , end of story . However I think Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be next big thing . CDPR had confirmed this few months ago that it'll be mix of First Person View and Third Person view . I'm pretty sure they are trying to do something similar to Deus Ex HR .

With cutting edge visuals of latest hardware and game set in completely open world , I think it is going to be a spectacular game . Also can't wait for Deus Ex 4 , hopefully they won't dumb down the game .

#5 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

Deus Ex , end of story . However I think Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be next big thing . CDPR had confirmed this few months ago that it'll be mix of First Person View and Third Person view . I'm pretty sure they are trying to do something similar to Deus Ex HR .

With cutting edge visuals of latest hardware and game set in completely open world , I think it is going to be a spectacular game . Also can't wait for Deus Ex 4 , hopefully they won't dumb down the game .

Cyberpunk 2077 should be in first person prespective. that is more immersive. i dont want switching between 3rd and 1st person. it always break immersion.

also Deus Ex 4 will probably great like HR. even thought it will be dumbed down. because HR prove that game can still be great if it will be dumbed down.

Deus Ex Human Revolution was probaly best streamlined game i have ever played. they make it more linear, put cover system and takedown but still didnot cut out inventory, RPG elements, hubs, level design. etc

Eidos montreal is one of the best developer around. (minus theif 4. that was rushed product)

#6 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3005 posts) -

Dues Ex.

Edit: aw fuck I meant Human Revolution, didn't see the option for it, oh well.

So did I ;)

Although.. I'm willing to call the DE games and ME1 RPGs.

#7 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1775 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Cyberpunk 2077 should be in first person prespective. that is more immersive. i dont want switching between 3rd and 1st person. it always break immersion.

also Deus Ex 4 will probably great like HR. even thought it will be dumbed down. because HR prove that game can still be great if it will be dumbed down.

Deus Ex Human Revolution was probaly best streamlined game i have ever played. they make it more linear, put cover system and takedown but still didnot cut out inventory, RPG elements, hubs, level design. etc

Eidos montreal is one of the best developer around. (minus theif 4. that was rushed product)

I think they'll be implementing cover in third person or they'll implement kill cams etc . I think main view will be first person . Red Engine 3 is going to make the game look spectacular , not to mention great storyline .

#8 Posted by slimdogmilionar (290 posts) -

Borderlands should be up there.

#9 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5884 posts) -

No Fallout?

#10 Posted by Blabadon (25191 posts) -

Deus Ex Human Revolution

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8574 posts) -

Bioshock !

Also, two concepts that just don't go well together.

#12 Posted by Evo_nine (1574 posts) -

Mass effect duh

#13 Posted by Spartan070 (16307 posts) -

Of that list Mass Effect but Destiny merits note, as does Borderlands, Bioshock and Fallout.

Never considered Deus Ex to be an RPG, sorta the same way I never considered Metroid Prime to be an FPS.

It's just it's own thing.

#14 Posted by lamprey263 (22426 posts) -

Mass Effect from the list. Fallout 3 comes to mind though, that would be my first pick, I thought it worked great as both keeping with the tradition through VATS and still allowing for good realtime shooter mechanics.

#15 Posted by dommeus (9103 posts) -

Human Revolution easily. One of my fav games of all time

#16 Edited by Cloud_imperium (1775 posts) -

Mass Effect leading .? Seriously .? I love Mass Effect . Hell , Mass Effect 2 is my most favorite game of last generation but how is it better than Deus Ex in terms of RPG + Shooting elements .? It doesn't even have proper inventory system like RPGs .

#17 Posted by withe1982 (450 posts) -

@dommeus said:

Human Revolution easily. One of my fav games of all time

My man! Vive La Revolution.

#19 Posted by Heirren (15969 posts) -

Probably one of the Metroids.

#20 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

Mass Effect leading .? Seriously .? I love Mass Effect . Hell , Mass Effect 2 is my most favorite game of last generation but how is it better than Deus Ex in terms of RPG + Shooting elements .? It doesn't even have proper inventory system like RPGs .

better question. how is mass effect better than system shock 2 or stalker when later games has proper inventory.

stalker is market as FPS but has more RPG elements than mass effect 3.

#21 Posted by cainetao11 (15819 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

bioshock is sooooooooooo overrated

you soooooooooooo underrate bioshock

#22 Edited by Cloud_imperium (1775 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

better question. how is mass effect better than system shock 2 or stalker when later games has proper inventory.

stalker is market as FPS but has more RPG elements than mass effect 3.

May be , you should've categorized Deus Ex and Deus EX HR as one option .

#23 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68892 posts) -

Mass Effect is the only right answer

#24 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3223 posts) -

Obviously Mass Effect.

#25 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -
#26 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8574 posts) -

@ Cloud_imperium

Perhaps it failed in the Shooting department..... Most RPG-Hybrids usually half-ass the parts of the game that don't contribute to Role Playing..... Thats how Bethesda has been Skating by all this time. ;)

If it makes you feel better... I didn't vote.... Yet.

#27 Edited by SecretPolice (21185 posts) -

Mass Effect I guess but I sure wish the series would have stayed mooaaar like ME1, mah fav...

And WTH is Borderlands? It it worthy of a place in the poll.

#28 Posted by RossRichard (2305 posts) -

Fallout 3.

#29 Posted by scottpsfan14 (2345 posts) -

No Fallout?

Way too mainstream for Sniper.

#30 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8144 posts) -

I think System Shock 2 aged better than the original Deus Ex.

#31 Posted by sts106mat (18758 posts) -

clearly mass effect, any other choice is wrong

#32 Posted by scottpsfan14 (2345 posts) -

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion

#33 Posted by Dragerdeifrit (222 posts) -

Fallout 3

#34 Edited by groowagon (2739 posts) -

fail. you didn't include Fallout 3.

but in any case, i choose Stalker hands down. too bad it was technically sub-par, but other than that, it was a stellar open-world RPG-shooter.

e: i can't believe Mass Effect is leading... it's my favourite game on paper; sci-fi, RPG, realtime combat, space travelling... but no. it failed. the openness is a lie. it was a mission-based corridor-runner disguised as open world game.

#35 Posted by sts106mat (18758 posts) -

Fallout 3

Fallout 3 awesome game, so hoping that fallout 4 is on it's way.

#36 Posted by IgGy621985 (4556 posts) -

Mass Effect. Stalker comes in second place. Deus Ex HR is boring as shit.

#37 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6157 posts) -

Obviously Mass Effect.

You have amazing taste in games. Mass Effect is one of the best series out there.

#38 Edited by heguain (312 posts) -

I preferred the shooting mechanics and RPG elements in ME to Deus Ex's (ME & DX my fav in the list) , so I voted ME.

#39 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6594 posts) -

STALKER is the only one that manages to still be a good shooter, so I'll go with that one.

#40 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

No Fallout?

if thats the case than why i include mass effect? i even include one of my most hated franchise on poll

fallout 3 is no shooter. thats why

#41 Posted by groowagon (2739 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

No Fallout?

if thats the case than why i include mass effect? i even include one of my most hated franchise on poll

more shooter than Mass Effect imo...

#42 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

No Fallout?

more shooter than Mass Effect imo...

mass effect is just as shooter as gears of war.

atleast gears of war has better shooting mechanic. i mean mass effect make gears of war good. which was very uninspired game.

#43 Edited by intotheminx (355 posts) -

Fallout 3.

I voted for Mass Effect because it's the second best option. If your character has a gun and can shoot it..technically it's a shooter.

#44 Posted by Heil68 (42609 posts) -

Mass Effect.

#45 Edited by 7MDMA (180 posts) -

Deux Ex (voted). Mass Effect (the 1st one) is also a good call, and Fallout New Vegas (modded.)

Deus Ex had an incredible story, tactical depth, a consistent fully fleshed out environment/world, great characterization, solid choice and consequence and top notch role playing elements. All of this under a rock solid FPS framework. It was ridiculously ahead of its time at release.

I think Mass Effect also was a huge leap on release and took the presentation of storytelling/interaction to a new level along with strong writing and a consistent Sci-Fi universe. Maybe a bit weak in shooting dynamics though.

So on release straight out the box it's between those two, imo, but Fallout New Vegas modded to the nines is probably the current RPG/Shooter king.

#46 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6179 posts) -

I would pick Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines

Since it is not on the list I will have to go with System Shock 2, with Deus EX as a runner up.

#47 Edited by bussinrounds (1972 posts) -

System Shock 2

Fallout New Vegas

Deus Ex

Vampire: Bloodlines

#48 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3223 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Obviously Mass Effect.

You have amazing taste in games. Mass Effect is one of the best series out there.

If only everyone, especially SNIPER, had my taste.

#49 Posted by bforrester420 (1008 posts) -

What, no Fallout or New Vegas?

#50 Posted by magicalclick (22222 posts) -

Mess Effect 1 with Meka. The inventory system is a bit annoying though. Still, Bioware makes the most enjoyable RPGs for me. Plus the awesome graphics and shooting. And mess effect alien looks so awesome. Love Rex.