Best Buy $10 gift card w/ Metro Redux this week (PS4/X1)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

via cheapassgamer: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334599-best-buy-ad-824-830/

If you're a gamer's club unlocked member you're getting the game for $39.99 plus $10 gift card which is awesome.

Anyone getting it?

equanox214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 equanox214
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I am! never got around to playing them because i used to travel for work so much, glad to play them in the best form. I really got to become a member of bestbuys club

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

via cheapassgamer: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334599-best-buy-ad-824-830/

If you're a gamer's club unlocked member you're getting the game for $39.99 plus $10 gift card which is awesome.

Anyone getting it?

That BB membership was ripoff ($119.99 for 2 years) and super expensive last I checked. Big ripoff unless you buy a lot of games on launch day for full $60 and you need to buy them at Best Buy. You break even if you buy 10x $60 games in that period. Problem is, is there games being released these days worth $60? I keep seeing titles I would rather wait on, personally. Especially since BB can't compete with the super amazing Holiday deals incoming. In a few short months, Metro Redux will be $25-$20 during Black Friday week. It's the same every year. All these games go on sale.

BB's little club is a good if you buy a lot of games at $60 anyways. Especially games pumped out fast like EA, Activision, Capcom, and Ubisoft these days. I have no problem paying full price but not when there isn't any games I'm excited for on the horizon. Batman is exciting but that's next year. Regarding Metro, it's just a remastered port, It's hard to get excited for older games that I played.

I have no interest in this Metro port, but my rule on these remasters is $20 or less if I own them. That's if I'm even interested in replaying them. I already own both Metros though.

In fact, every single remastered port released so far this gen I already owned so I just skip them so far (from Wind Waker HD to The Last of Us HD). I'm not even getting the MC Collection. I own all these though, so I know mileage varies per person.

In my opinion 2014 gaming sucked. It was one of the worst years in gaming for me, too many games I already played being remastered, and the few new titles like Destiny are Cross Gen and didn't do anything for me.

To each their own really, but that's my take on the BB Gamer deal. What you posted sounds good until you read the fine print.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@SolidTy said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Anyone getting it?

That BB membership was ripoff and super expensive last I checked. Big ripoff unless you buy a lot of games on launch day.

I have no interest in this Metro port, but my rule on these remasters is $20 or less if I own them. I already own both Metros though.

In fact, every single remastered port released so far this gen I already owned so I just skip them.

I got my 2 year membership for $60. BB does the $60 promo pretty frequently. I really like it. You get 20% off new games, 10% off used, and you also get rewards points for each purchase. To be clear, you get rewards points not just for games, but for all purchases at Best Buy. You get $5 gift card for every 250 points. Pretty awesome imo.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidTy

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Anyone getting it?

That BB membership was ripoff ($119.99 for 2 years) and super expensive last I checked. Big ripoff unless you buy a lot of games on launch day for full $60 and you need to buy them at Best Buy. You break even if you buy 10x $60 games in that period. Problem is, is there games being released these days worth $60? I keep seeing titles I would rather wait on, personally. Especially since BB can't compete with the super amazing Holiday deals incoming. In a few short months, Metro Redux will be $25-$20 during Black Friday week. It's the same every year. All these games go on sale.

BB's little club is a good if you buy a lot of games at $60 anyways. Especially games pumped out fast like EA, Activision, Capcom, and Ubisoft these days. I have no problem paying full price but not when there isn't any games I'm excited for on the horizon. Batman is exciting but that's next year. Regarding Metro, it's just a remastered port, It's hard to get excited for older games that I played.

I have no interest in this Metro port, but my rule on these remasters is $20 or less if I own them. That's if I'm even interested in replaying them. I already own both Metros though.

In fact, every single remastered port released so far this gen I already owned so I just skip them so far (from Wind Waker HD to The Last of Us HD). I'm not even getting the MC Collection. I own all these though, so I know mileage varies per person.

In my opinion 2014 gaming sucked. It was one of the worst years in gaming for me, too many games I already played being remastered, and the few new titles like Destiny are Cross Gen and didn't do anything for me.

To each their own really, but that's my take on the BB Gamer deal. What you posted sounds good until you read the fine print.

I got my 2 year membership for $60. BB does the $60 promo pretty frequently. I really like it. You get 20% off new games, 10% off used, and you also get rewards points for each purchase. To be clear, you get rewards points not just for games, but for all purchases at Best Buy. You get $5 gift card for every 250 points. Pretty awesome imo.

As I said above, it works for some people (like yourself), but with the state of gaming today it doesn't work for me. I won't ever pay over $20 for a remastered port of games I own, but I know those are brand new games to some other gamers and they can see value in games they skipped years ago that I didn't.

I felt 2014 was an awful year for gaming for me, and therefore not a lot of games released that I wanted to buy or pay top dollar for.

I also dislike Best Buy's Customer Service. I just prefer not to shop there if I can...same for Gamestop and Walmart to a smaller degree.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic

@SolidTy said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Anyone getting it?

As I said above, it works for some people (like yourself), but with the state of gaming today it doesn't work for me. I won't ever pay over $20 for a remastered port of games I own, but I know those are brand new games to some other gamers and they can see value in games they skipped years ago that I didn't.

I felt 2014 was an awful year for gaming for me, and therefore not a lot of games released that I wanted to buy or pay top dollar for.

I also dislike Best Buy's Customer Service. I just prefer not to shop there if I can...same for Gamestop and Walmart to a smaller degree.

You seem to be misinformed. The 20% is on new games, period. Doesn't have to be at launch. So if you're waiting for a black friday deal, the 20% stacks on top of it. Also, you must have shopped at BB a long time ago. They're a lot better now. Very much like Amazon when it comes to customer service.

For Metro Redux, you're essentially getting two games for $33ish. Didn't say I was going to get it though. Also, for $30 a year, you really can't go wrong here. Best Buy currently has $10 giftcard preorder bonuses for a lot of popular games http://www.bestbuy.com/site/games-promotions/my-best-buy-get-10/pcmcat308100050002.c?id=pcmcat308100050002 They do stuff like this often.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolidTy

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

You seem to be misinformed. The 20% is on new games, period. Doesn't have to be at launch. So if you're waiting for a black friday deal, the 20% stacks on top of it. Also, you must have shopped at BB a long time ago. They're a lot better now. Very much like Amazon when it comes to customer service.

For Metro Redux, you're essentially getting two games for $33ish. Didn't say I was going to get it though. Also, for $30 a year, you really can't go wrong here. Best Buy currently has $10 giftcard preorder bonuses for a lot of popular games http://www.bestbuy.com/site/games-promotions/my-best-buy-get-10/pcmcat308100050002.c?id=pcmcat308100050002 They do stuff like this often.

You are misinformed if you think you can tell me that you can speak for all Best Buy's...or speak for my BB experience. Not even the CEO can do that, nor District Managers. I was just at Best Buy last week, they advertised Amazing Spiderman C.E. but then BB were sold out at the four BB stores on launch day. I just picked up the C.E. from target (different C.E., but this isn't the first time that happened)...and their customer service still sucked. Calling them is even worse.

As far as Black Friday deals, Best Buy is one of many retailers that have gaming deals. As I said, this was such a crap year for me, I honestly can't think of one title I would eagerly buy for $20 that released this year, and certainly Best Buy would be the last Black Friday place I would hit based on my years and years of shopping there. Even their return policy sucks (in comparison to other electronic chains, they even require a State ID)...but if I do buy there, I plan on keeping it so I just try not to shop there.

They are very much anti-Amazon when it comes to customer service. Based on the last two Blu-Rays I bought there, I will continue to avoid that place. They either are merely average or they suck. I have four stores to choose from in my city and none of them measure up to what I would call good customer service. Yeah, they have employees that know how to feign excitement and try to get you to buy things, but they are often times very misinformed...at least in my area. It sounds like you have a better experience, so good for you. However, you are misinformed if you think you can speak for all of BB customer service. I have dozens of friends that refuse to shop there and admonish me when I go there from time to time for a Blu-Ray or whatever as the place is a pit in our area. We have four stores near us, and they all suck. There is a 5th and 6th BB store 40 minutes or more drive, but I won't drive that far when I can just go to other retailers.

For Metro? I own both games. I spent $18 on the Ratchet and Clank HD collection. That was $6 a game. I did the same for God of War, Devil May Cry, and Metal Gear Collections. I don't see the need to spend more than $20 on games I can currently play right now. Metro Redux comes with 2 older remastered games and I'm willing to spend $10 per game for a total of $20...if I even wanted too, which I don't. I don't spend more than $20 on remastered games I own. It's a ripoff to me. AGAIN, if you never played it, have fun. Good deal for you. Bad deal for me.

Regarding the $10 promotion, that's cool, but it would require me to shop there. And I happen to know Target and Amazon and Walmart also do similar $10 and $20 giftcard promotions as well.

It sounds like you have good experiences at Best Buy and that's great. I've had the opposite and I've been shopping with them since the 90's to today and I've only noticed it got worse. I didn't love Circuit City, but at least they kept Best Buy on their toes. We still have Fry's Electronics and a few others at least.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

@SolidTy said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

You are misinformed if you think you can tell me that you can speak for all Best Buy's...or speak for my BB experience. Not even the CEO can do that, nor District Managers. I was just at Best Buy last week, they advertised Amazing Spiderman C.E. but then BB were sold out at the four BB stores on launch day. I just picked up the C.E. from target (different C.E., but this isn't the first time that happened)...and their customer service still sucked. Calling them is even worse.

As far as Black Friday deals, Best Buy is one of many retailers that have gaming deals. As I said, this was such a crap year for me, I honestly can't think of one title I would eagerly buy for $20 that released this year, and certainly Best Buy would be the last Black Friday place I would hit based on my years and years of shopping there. Even their return policy sucks (in comparison to other electronic chains, they even require a State ID)...but if I do buy there, I plan on keeping it so I just try not to shop there.

They are very much anti-Amazon when it comes to customer service. Based on the last two Blu-Rays I bought there, I will continue to avoid that place. They either are merely average or they suck. I have four stores to choose from in my city and none of them measure up to what I would call good customer service. Yeah, they have employees that know how to feign excitement and try to get you to buy things, but they are often times very misinformed...at least in my area. It sounds like you have a better experience, so good for you. However, you are misinformed if you think you can speak for all of BB customer service. I have dozens of friends that refuse to shop there and admonish me when I go there from time to time for a Blu-Ray or whatever as the place is a pit in our area. We have four stores near us, and they all suck. There is a 5th and 6th BB store 40 minutes or more drive, but I won't drive that far when I can just go to other retailers.

For Metro? I own both games. I spent $18 on the Ratchet and Clank HD collection. That was $6 a game. I did the same for God of War, Devil May Cry, and Metal Gear Collections. I don't see the need to spend more than $20 on games I can currently play right now. Metro Redux comes with 2 older remastered games and I'm willing to spend $10 per game for a total of $20...if I even wanted too, which I don't. I don't spend more than $20 on remastered games I own. It's a ripoff to me. AGAIN, if you never played it, have fun. Good deal for you. Bad deal for me.

Regarding the $10 promotion, that's cool, but it would require me to shop there. And I happen to know Target and Amazon and Walmart also do similar $10 and $20 giftcard promotions as well.

It sounds like you have good experiences at Best Buy and that's great. I've had the opposite and I've been shopping with them since the 90's to today and I've only noticed it got worse. I didn't love Circuit City, but at least they kept Best Buy on their toes. We still have Fry's Electronics and a few others at least.

well, for one thing, I was talking about my BB games experience as of the last year or so. before then, I would agree, they were very mediocre. but they have changed quite a bit. my comparison to Amazon was mostly based on online customer service and on the phone. I've been bargain hunting for years and I can tell you that BB is really awesome for core gamers. but anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you. it's totally up to you. just wanted to clear up any misconceptions about the rewards program.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidTy

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

well, for one thing, I was talking about my BB games experience as of the last year or so. before then, I would agree, they were very mediocre. but they have changed quite a bit. my comparison to Amazon was mostly based on online customer service and on the phone. I've been bargain hunting for years and I can tell you that BB is really awesome for core gamers. but anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you. it's totally up to you. just wanted to clear up any misconceptions about the rewards program.

I understand. I mean, if this was a killer year for games for me, I would be more tempted to join the program. As far as the BB experience you have had, I hope I get to that point where I feel the same. The Amazing Spidey 2 Blu-Ray from last week left me rather unimpressed, but it's all good. I had an issue with Frozen Blu awhile back as well.

I feel you and I appreciate you clearing up the rewards program from your perspective.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

i never got why you have to have membership service to get discounts or have to pay a fee to be able to participate in a sale. On steam the bundle is 24.98 right now and I don't have to pay any subscription fees. Sign up with best buy. Or anything like that. Just give them the $25 for the game. Seems like these "services" are a rip off.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic

@NFJSupreme: not really a best buy issue. Console pricing is inherently different than PC pricing. Also, because we get the physical copy, we can resell. And since we got a good discount, we could probably come very close to even.