Be honest is the Wii U a good console?

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

I know we all hate the Wii U here and bash it for fun. But seriously the console itself do you like it? If it had games would you buy it? Do you care that its under powered? Before the Wii U release did you like the look of it?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I was very excited for the Wii's motion controls, I think the tablet is silly tho. It's a shame when Motion+ actually made motion controls work, they dropped them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

I know we all hate the Wii U here and bash it for fun. But seriously the console itself do you like it? If it had games would you buy it? Do you care that its under powered? Before the Wii U release did you like the look of it?

PCgameruk

The Wii U is garbage just like the Wii. The Wii only did well because it appealed to non-gamers, not real gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
It will be, but the spec is just disappointing really. Nintendo goofed there, for sure. However, the console will get a plethora of amazing games, and will have the best VC of any console in history.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Yep, it's a Nintendo console and I like Nintendo consoles. Give it some games and I'll buy it
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I think it's a good console with a lot of potential. Nintendo just really messed up with getting a steady stream of releases. I haven't bought a retail Wii U game since December and only turn it on to play the daily Rayman Legends challenges these days.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

No.

The tablet controller is stupid beyond belief. That is the thing about console gaming though.

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Life-is-a-Game  Online
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

A good console doesn't need to have highest specs to be good .. look at the 360 & ps3, two years after they released the pc smoked them both .. did this make them bad consoles? Absolutely not! .. A good console is one that provides great hardware and great software .. IMO, WiiU has good hardware build and decent specs but lacks a software punch, but after Zelda, 3D Mario, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, next Retro IP, Xenoblade's successor, Rayman Legends, and other 1st and 3rd party games are released, it will be not just good but an excellent system ;-)

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
It's a durable piece of tech, and I've had a blast with Rayman Legends challenge apps. It will be a good console, just not yet.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
It just needs some interesting games.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
sure, if it was 2006
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="PCgameruk"]

Davekeeh

The Wii U is garbage just like the Wii. The Wii only did well because it appealed to non-gamers, not real gamers.

"Real gamers"... what a load of crap! :lol:

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Yup.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
No. It's a terrible console. It's as bad as it gets on the hardware side. That doesn't mean that it won't have a few good games though but they'd all be a lot better off on PS4.
IveDatedUrMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IveDatedUrMom
Member since 2008 • 451 Posts

Yup.

Michael0134567
Now let's hear an opinion from someone who actually owns the console / played games on it.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
I have always had a warm place in my heart for Nintendo maybe nostalgia reasons and I almost never bash Nintendo but I have to say the Wii U kinda sucks. It actually looks bad being compared to the 360 and PS3 which are on their 8 and 7th year. It will be kinda sad when the next consoles are released.
Avatar image for ShoulderOfOrion
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShoulderOfOrion
Member since 2013 • 3379 Posts
[QUOTE="IveDatedUrMom"] Now let's hear an opinion from someone who actually owns the console / played games on it.

*crickets*
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

A good console doesn't need to have highest specs to be good .. look at the 360 & ps3, two years after they released the pc smoked them both .. did this make them bad consoles? Absolutely not! .. A good console is one that provides great hardware and great software .. IMO, WiiU has good hardware build and decent specs but lacks a software punch, but after Zelda, 3D Mario, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, next Retro IP, Xenoblade's successor, Rayman Legends, and other 1st and 3rd party games are released, it will be not just good but an excellent system ;-)

Life-is-a-Game

360 and PS3 had decent enough hardware to run next generation games. The wii had no such hardware, and it was barley talked about for the past 3 years.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Yup.

IveDatedUrMom

Now let's hear an opinion from someone who actually owns the console / played games on it.

Yes, wouldn't that be great.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

it's ok, it just has a really stupid name, i mean wii u? :lol: cmon, it's like they want me to laugh at it

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

The Wii U is a good system Nintendo just needs to start pumping out games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="IveDatedUrMom"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Yup.

Michael0134567

Yes, wouldn't that be great.

I own one. NSMBU is great. Nothing revolutionary, and feels like a ported and enhanced wii game in ways, but the design is the best since Mario World. Also, I don't think most gamers have actually played Nintendoland, proper, with the max amount of people. The game is an absolute blast, besting all this cookie cutter fps nonsense on ps3/360--it feels fresh. Obviously game support is an issue, but that will come to an end soon enough. Nintendo has been dropping bombs on 3ds; it's likely the same will happen on wiiu.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts
It just needs some interesting games.freedomfreak
This...but I really doubt anyone will be getting a wii U as primary consoles. Almost a year has past, still no gamez.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
No, it really isn't. Outdated tech, slow as hell OS (Update improved but not completely fixed this.), crappy tablet gimmick., low harddrive space, Poor handling of downloadble content management. Nintendo are behind the times and hopefully this generation they get knocked on their *** like Sony did with the PS3 so, their next console will be up to par with the competition.
Keitha313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26 Keitha313
Member since 2008 • 1679 Posts

PCgameruk
Nintendo will always make cash from whatever they release is the thing! Regardless of the majority of us believing it sucks, in truth its good for some things such as for kids to me it seems more aimed at that market but the Japanese market will always lap it up no matter what Nintendo release. Only reason I'd maybe buy it is for Mario and that's about it.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#27 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I don't really think the 360 or PS3 would have faired much better if you judged them a mere six months after launch
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I really like the Wii U's primarily game-centric features. excellent multitasking, Off TV play and especially the Mii-verse really add to the gaming experience. I'm really excited for when the big hitters come so that I can use these features in tandem with them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
No, it really isn't. Outdated tech, slow as hell OS (Update improved but not completely fixed this.), crappy tablet gimmick., low harddrive space, Poor handling of downloadble content management. Nintendo are behind the times and hopefully this generation they get knocked on their *** like Sony did with the PS3 so, their next console will be up to par with the competition.FlamesOfGrey
I don't know, Nintendo land with the right amount of people is pretty great. Also, behind the times isn't necessarily a bad thing, as current times business model is fckng ridiculous. Dlc, ads, and social integration has been pushed way too far. Miiverse is a much more original and game oriented interface vs psn/live. A game console should be a a machine to p,ay games, first and foremost.
speedracer3190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 speedracer3190
Member since 2005 • 205 Posts

I love my WiiU, the only problem as everyone knows is lack of games. The only complaints I have is that the WiiU needs more features,the OS needs more work, its WiiU gamepad needs to be lighter and as I said before needs more games.

The recent update really improved the system, I used to get fed up by the load times but not anymore.

Miiverse is my favorite app on WiiU, it is one of the best things Nintendo has ever made. I love Miiverse and hope Nintendo improves it in the future.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Not appealing at all, even Nintendo games are starting to lose the appeal, mostly because they aren't dipping into the smaller franchises enough.

It is pretty much Mario and Zelda, they might throw a Donkey Kong in at some point.

I also find thet tablet tech completely underwhelming. They have adopted 2005 handheld/phone tech and made it bigger. There was a reason touch screens didn't explode until the iPhone that was because the tech and software was lacking, texting and making phone calls while hammering a touch screen until it responded was terrible. Nintendo lack a decent OS, features and hardware, just bad design.

I feel the same way with the 3DS going from a mid tier android phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace 2) to the 3DS is like going back 7 years, unresponsive, slow outdated crap. Fortunately the 3DS has games to back it up the WiiU doesn't.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Hell no it ain't, and the people trying to defend that it is are absolute fanboys! 

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

You are looking for honesty in SW forums? Silly child.

To answer your question.... YES & NO.

Yes, because of the touch pad controller can add to the experience. Yes because the Community features are interesting.
Yes, because it's Nintendo HD. (Nintendo IP in HD)

NO, because there isn't a lot in terms of quality software available for it, yet.

This is how I see it.

I bought mine Day 1, I'm a gamer and a Mario fan. I will play every Mario Platformer and New Super Mario Bros U is a great Mario Platformer. Heck the worst mario platformer is a good game. I guess my point is... Any Nintendo console is worth having for Nintendo's IPs alone. Any other superb game to launch on it, is just icing on the cake.

To date I've played Nintendo Land, ZombiU, New Super Mario Bros. U & Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. The only game I'm not fond of is MH3-U. It's apparently the best MH game available.... I guess I just don't like MH, I find it boring.

PS. Also, any game playable on the gamepad alone, means I can use the controller as a portable inside my home. There is only 1 small area of my home (4' x 4') where there is no signal.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's a pretty good console that just needs time to establish a good library (which I'm expecting by year's end).

I like the OS, it has a nice community feel that isn't too in your face. At the moment I'm playing the Rayman Legends app. which is a good example how Miiverse works nicely; sharing high scores and seeing how people have pushed to finally get that platinum. Pictures are awesome too.

Somethings that need improving is the Virtual Console. There should be a unified account system so I can buy a NES/SNES game once and play it on either my 3DS or Wii U. Also, it feels lame that it's starting from square one with building the game library. It would've been nice if the Wii VC was directly ported over immediately. In saying that, you can still access you Wii on your Wii U so it's not that big a deal. We'll also see how soon/often Nintendo will update the VC. Also, I don't really play VC games that much so it's not a big deal for me personally.

The gamepad is awesome. It's really comfortable and I like the variety of ways you can use it. Off-screen play is more useful than you'd think. For example, I have not played Rayman Legends on the TV yet. I don't even know what it looks like on there. I play this game every night and I always just play it on the game pad. It's just really convenient and easier that way. In other games, such as Darksiders 2, I enjoyed having my inventory and map on the touch screen too. It just streamlines the whole process.

I'm looking forward to big Nintendo franchises making good use of the gamepad. Overall, it's a promising console. 

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
It looks like a good console, but I honestly am somewhat tired for Nintendo's key franchises save for Metroid and Fire Emblem. I do think in terms of games it'll be similar to the Wii, good 1st party support but a mostly lackluster 3rd party support
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
A console is only as good as the software you can play on it, so no it's not a good console. If they had released it five years ago, with 1st party games ready to go and strong third party support it could have been worthwhile.
speedracer3190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 speedracer3190
Member since 2005 • 205 Posts

NintendoLand is so awesome when playing multiplayer, I love the animal crossing minigame. I've had some great moments playing it with friends, and the games are so addicting! Can't say I feel the same about the single player, I get bored really easily with those. I still like them though, DK is my favorite.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I'll bite if it was like $200 though I rather have a ps4

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Not as it is now.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Gamepad tablet just doesn't feel right. The Gamepad tablet functions just fine. The buttons and thumbsticks are good. The Gamepad is light. But being a large rectangle tablet shaped. The Gampad feels ackward. The use of the 2 screens has potential. But the Wii U as a console is good but not great.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

The Wii U is a good system Nintendo just needs to start pumping out games.

Nintendo_Ownes7
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
In it's current state no. That'll probably change once some 1st party heavy hitters start dropping.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

No.

The tablet controller is stupid beyond belief. That is the thing about console gaming though.

Cyberdot

what's the thing about console gaming?

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts
A damn good one. It just lacking support right now.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm enjoying it. The tablet controller is the best of the best. It weighs about the same as a 360 controller, feels great in your hands, has all the functions of a standard controller and adds touch controls. It has perfect BC with Wii, browses the net better and faster than my desktop PC.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Good luck getting any honest answers about Nintnedo on SW.

As a gamer that owns PS3/360/and Wii U, I feel that the Wii U has ALOT of potential and will do fine in the long run; however, I would not recommend getting one untill Nintendo EARNS your money with quality first party titles. I would say about this time next year will be a great time to buy one. For all of the people that say blah blah Ps4/720 will be SO much better I say get a job. People by Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Yes Ps4 would be so much better if Sony could somehow buy Nintendo so that Sony could get all the Nintendo games, but that is just not going to happen.

Now for why I like the Wii U. Sony and Microsoft tend to be very similar with the way they do things, and since I get all of the systems anyway, I enjoy the way Nintendo does things differently. All of my systems do not have to be the same. I like the Wii U controller alot. I like the way that I can take the controller to the bathroom, garage, or patio and play like a big gameboy around my house. I use it to do Netficks in bed at night and to mess around online like an I-Pad. I love the use of the pad on monsterhunter 3 it is very well used in that game. I apprcieate the way the Virtual Console gmaes all can be played on the controller and the TV. The online is fantastic on the Wii U, and I have big hands so I like the way the controller fits in my hand. As for the tech specs of the system, I honestly could not possibly care less. When I need OMG pretty pictures I will just play my PS4/720. When I want to play Nintendo gmaes, I will play Wii U. (On system wars this concept eludes most people weird huh?)

Now here is why I do not like the Wii U. Games. Nintendo rushed to market (Much like with the 3ds) I find this approach a bit disrespectful to gamers. They need alot more games to justify the purchase. Yes this will happen, but that does not excuse the sloppy console launch. The other thing about Wii U is that if you do not have alot of money, there is NO WAY that the Wii U could ever hope to be the only console you own. I do not care what fanboys say, It is just not possible. (then again how anyone can only own a Ps3 or a 360 is also beyond me so whatever.)

Verdict: If you have money and like Nintendo games get a Wii U this time next year. If you are poor or do not like Nintendo games, pass. Easy as that. I assure you the Wii U will look very sexy next to my Ps4/720 and when you own them all, why fight over who is better?

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
It currently has no games and there hasn't been a major console with as poor 3rd party support as the wii-u. If Nintendo games are all you care about you'll be disappointed for the next couple of years, until Nintendo wraps their collective minds around HD development. With few nintendo games trickling in and little to no 3rd party support, I don't see how anyone can consider wii-u anything but a terrible console. In its current form... But I'm sure some fakeboys or deluded fans still hopped on on nostalgia will say otherwise.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Own the deluxe console and I have Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U. Both games are great, but there are only 2 Nintendo games out now. Bought it now because I knew I'd get it eventually anyway. They launched it without enough games.(duh) Waiting for Pikmin 3 which has been delayed twice already.(Can't rush perfection)
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#49 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I think it is. :? I enjoy it quite a bit. 

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Good luck getting any honest answers about Nintnedo on SW.mojito1988

Legitimate question, do people really believe this isn't possible? Looking at the first page of this thread so far alone and there's plenty of good answers. In fact, just saying so makes the four paragraphs you wrote afterwards seem silly and invalid.