Battlefield 4 - Review 8.0 - KEEP IT HERE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

As a graphics whore myself this thread is absolutely disgusting.

*hits back button in disgust*

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#202 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@Wasdie said:

I played more of the single player last night. I couldn't play any multiplayer due to horrible server lag. Even on all high settings (not ultra, my rig can't handle that) the game is probably the best looking game I've ever played. It's a combination of the amount of detail that has gone into each environment, the scale, and the engine. The game is seriously beautiful.

The single player is not that bad so far. Had one frustrating moment that kind of took me out of it though. Multiple playthroughs of the game aren't going to be as fun as they could as the game's scripted sequences often dampen the pace too much.

Playing on Ultra and the game looks amazing. Character models and lighting in particular are what wow me; the facial and body animations are very natural and at times the game crosses into the uncanny valley. I am so glad DICE listened to players and got rid of that disgusting blueish-green tint from BF3--colors are so much more natural and the lighting lends the game this beautiful photorealistic look. As far as the PC version on Ultra is concerned, no other next-gen game I've seen thus far looks better.

this times a million.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@enviouseyezonme said:

JeeZ why is everybody in an uproar over this game?? I just wasted 30min of my life watching jackfrags single player segments on both X1 and PS4 and both look like a$$. Neither truly represent anything of a "nex-gen" experience IMO. This is just like AC4..

Because they're cross generational games and shouldn't be used to represent "true next gen experiences"

Leave that up to something like Killzone which is solely on one piece of next gen hardware to see what it's capable of right now. Plus it will get better in time

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#205 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@princeofshapeir: I played a bit on ultra and there is definitely an increase in quality, especially with the textures. However it's far too taxing on my machine to make it worthwhile. I need a new GPU. My 2x 570s can't do it anymore :(.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@Jebus213: Where have I said any of that here? When discussing Battlefield 3 many people, including yourself, continued to bash the game on the basis it's not BF2 reskinned. Especially since BF2 is incredibly overrated due to nostalgia glasses. That got annoying after 2 years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@TheGuardian03 said:

^ that gif looks like real life, not joking.

The game really does cross the uncanny valley at times. The lighting is superb

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Wasdie  Moderator

@seanmcloughlin: When I finally get a new GPU I hope to run the game on ultra settings at 200% supersampleing. A lot of the graphical issues I see are just due to aliasing and stuff that would be completely ironed out with a higher resolution downsampled.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#209 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Console gaming - The battle for second best rages on.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

The picture with the birds in the scrap yard, look in the upper left corner lol. Why do it looks so ugly. Looks like ps2 era textures for the Xbone. Is it supposed to look like that?

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@Wasdie said:

I played more of the single player last night. I couldn't play any multiplayer due to horrible server lag. Even on all high settings (not ultra, my rig can't handle that) the game is probably the best looking game I've ever played. It's a combination of the amount of detail that has gone into each environment, the scale, and the engine. The game is seriously beautiful.

The single player is not that bad so far. Had one frustrating moment that kind of took me out of it though. Multiple playthroughs of the game aren't going to be as fun as they could as the game's scripted sequences often dampen the pace too much.

Playing on Ultra and the game looks amazing. Character models and lighting in particular are what wow me; the facial and body animations are very natural and at times the game crosses into the uncanny valley. I am so glad DICE listened to players and got rid of that disgusting blueish-green tint from BF3--colors are so much more natural and the lighting lends the game this beautiful photorealistic look. As far as the PC version on Ultra is concerned, no other next-gen game I've seen thus far looks better.

You have a 670 GTX, right?

How's the performance on ultra?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Just had my first game on Lancang Dam, this game is ridiculous looking, even more so when you factor in it being a 64 player map.

Loving the Test Range aswell, really nice addition.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@Wasdie: I actually prefer multisampling AA + morphological AA over supersampling. Not only do edges look much smoother, but the combo runs better than SSAA, too...

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#214 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

In other words: meh.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#215  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@NameIess_One said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@Wasdie said:

You have a 670 GTX, right?

How's the performance on ultra?

Based only on single player, framerate hovers around 45-60 FPS for me, probably 50-55 average. The lowest I've seen it go is 32. Ultra settings include 4x MSAA so I imagine that eats some frames.

On the whole I think it's optimized well considering the visual quality. As a point of reference, for me, BF3 on Ultra ran at 60+ FPS constantly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Wasdie said:

@seanmcloughlin: When I finally get a new GPU I hope to run the game on ultra settings at 200% supersampleing. A lot of the graphical issues I see are just due to aliasing and stuff that would be completely ironed out with a higher resolution downsampled.

The guy who posted that gif on GAF has two Titans and is playing at something like a 5000xsomething resolution and downsampling it. It's crazy, he's only getting like 15-35 fps lol

I really want to get the new AMD cards cos they're stronger and cheaper than a Titan but they run like 90C which is hot as HELL! I wanna see what Mantle offers though. You're a tech software guy, do you think Mantle will be worth it/make a difference? I've always been team green but am considering crossing over for next gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Seabas989 said:

An 8.0 is far from "meh"

I hate how system wars reacts to scores these days. Anything below a 9.0 seems to just be considered as bad

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

I'll probably pick this up on PC.

also...THE KING IS BACK.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#219 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

also...THE KING IS BACK.

the king?

greensand24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 greensand24
Member since 2011 • 457 Posts

@lostrib:

Lol this Is I think the 4th time I've seen a cow try to claim ownage with comparison shots and they look better on the One.

Still waiting to find one comparison shot that looks better than the XOne.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

@greensand24: but they don't lol. Ps4 version do look better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Dreams-Visions said:

also...THE KING IS BACK.

If you're referring to yourself then I have some bad news cos I don't know who you are lol

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

also...THE KING IS BACK.

If you're referring to yourself then I have some bad news cos I don't know who you are lol

He could be referring to the ps4's superior performance.

Who knows?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By wis3boi

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

The guy who posted that gif on GAF has two Titans and is playing at something like a 5000xsomething resolution and downsampling it. It's crazy, he's only getting like 15-35 fps lol

I really want to get the new AMD cards cos they're stronger and cheaper than a Titan but they run like 90C which is hot as HELL! I wanna see what Mantle offers though. You're a tech software guy, do you think Mantle will be worth it/make a difference? I've always been team green but am considering crossing over for next gen.

I think AMD is gonna be in a sweet position this next gen. With mantle and the next systems being fully AMD as well. And for BF4, it's an AMD sponsored game/engine. My 7970 is tearing it up like it's nothing

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By lostrib

@wis3boi said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

I think AMD is gonna be in a sweet position this next gen. With mantle and the next systems being fully AMD as well. And for BF4, it's an AMD sponsored game/engine. My 7970 is tearing it up like it's nothing

Hopefully by the time I need/want a new GPU, mantle will be fully implemented and be able to say for sure if AMD has an advantage in games

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 ReadingRainbow4

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

Hopefully by the time I need/want a new GPU, mantle will be fully implemented and be able to say for sure if AMD has an advantage in games

That 290x looks really tempting, especially since I have a fairly nice nvidia card already that I could devote to physx.

I think I'm waiting for a better cooler placed on it by a 3rd party and maybe a little bit more of a price drop.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46271 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Seabas989 said:

An 8.0 is far from "meh"

I hate how system wars reacts to scores these days. Anything below a 9.0 seems to just be considered as bad

lol 9s. Anything that doesn't win GOTY is simply not worth playing.

I only play one game per year BTW.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By lostrib

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

That 290x looks really tempting, especially since I have a fairly nice nvidia card already that I could devote to physx.

I think I'm waiting for a better cooler placed on it by a 3rd party and maybe a little bit more of a price drop.

unless you find hacked drivers, you can not use an NVIDIA card for physx alongside a AMD GPU

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@lostrib said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

unless you find hacked drivers, you can not use an NVIDIA card for physx alongside a AMD GPU

I thought for sure you could, that's a pretty big bummer then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@wis3boi said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

That's what I'm thinking. AMD seems to be where it's at right now price:performance wise

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 wis3boi

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lostrib said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

hacked drivers being the key words there, but it does work. And physx is usually really dumb anyways.....Borderlands 2 is the only one that does it good enough to be worth it, and it runs great without nvidia anyways

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 ReadingRainbow4

@wis3boi said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lostrib said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

hacked drivers being the key words there, but it does work. And physx is usually really dumb anyways.....Borderlands 2 is the only one that does it good enough to be worth it, and it runs great without nvidia anyways

I just hope it's less pronounced this gen or AMD has a counter for it.

I just hate missing out on that kind of stuff.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

Xbox One version looks better than the PS4 version in those comparisons.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I'll be picking it up, like how they added the sandbox island for MP just to dick around. I'm not holding my breath for the SP though. BF3 had an awful campaign which almost makes me want to tell them to forget it all together or actually put forth a decent effort.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#235 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

My guess with these screenshots is that the PS4 is using a much more aggressive form of post-process AA, and therefore the textures get blurrier.

Same happens with the PC version, if you use Post AA it completely blurs the nice textures and makes it look like shit.

This can be alleviated by upping the sharpness on your TV, and similar filters.

The XO has horrible aliasing, probably because the AA method (if used at all) is not as strong as on the PS4, which in turns benefits textures, but does a shitty job on jaggies. Aliasing is something a TV won't fix, you'll actually need to disable some filters (edge sharpening) to make it look not as crappy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@danabo said:

Xbox One version looks better than the PS4 version in those comparisons.

It seems to have a higher contrast crushing the blacks but also making certain elemts POP a bit more giving the illusion of looking better.

Like so many mods for PC games just up the contrast to stupid levels and people say it looks better

greensand24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 greensand24

@TheTruthIsREAL:

@greensand24: "but they don't lol. Ps4 version do look better."

Then show me one. I've even gone to sites other than DF and AT WORST for the XOne both versions look the same.

In other words I've either seen shots that look better on the XOne or they look the same.

And I'm not the only one. Oh and lol at fanboys trying to explain it away and spin with terms such as artificial sharpening....WTF?

greensand24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By greensand24

@seanmcloughlin:

The illusion of looking better? What the hell does that even mean lol? It either looks good or it doesn't. Why are you over complicating things?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@greensand24 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

The illusion of looking better? What the hell does that even mean lol? It either looks good or it doesn't. Why are you over complicating things?

I was gonna give a proper reply to this but searching through your previous posts it would seem you have a strong bias towards the Xbox so I'm not even gonna bother now because you would come up with some reason why I'm wrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Oh and I finally finished downloading the game and played the first two SP missions.... holy god it's the best looking game I've ever seen. And that's saying a lot cos Metro LL and Crysis 3 look amazing

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By lostrib

@seanmcloughlin said:

Oh and I finally finished downloading the game and played the first two SP missions.... holy god it's the best looking game I've ever seen. And that's saying a lot cos Metro LL and Crysis 3 look amazing

Jesus, how slow is your internet? didn't you start it like yesterday?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@lostrib said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Jesus, how slow is your internet? didn't you start it like yesterday?

VERY damn slow, started on monday and was getting 150KB/s almost constant. Sometimes it went to 400

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#244  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Only played a wee bit, but SP already seems like a significant improvement over BF3. Intro is alright storytelling, ok use of licensed song, you can sort of spot people and sort of have your squad help, gather weapons like in BC and at least that one section was more freeform, like BC. Hope the whole rest of the game is like that, but I hear it isn't. Has a scoring system, which I guess is a good thing. Although with a gameism like that it seems they'll trip themselves and fall on the cake they wanna eat with the emotional bondage. Getting control taken away is so damned trite. For as little as I've played, it feels like I've only actually played like half of it.

MP is very more of the same so far. There are improvements, tweaks, intricacies and big things like Commander, but the overall feel of most everything is super familiar if you've played BF3 for some amount of recent time. Don't know how long I'll stick by this one honestly. Hopefully other maps are more alluring than Shanghai, which is the only one I've played so far. Or maybe I'll get into Obliteration. Or the aforementioned Commander position. Not throwing the towel in this early.

The first map I joined was actually Operation Locker. After seeing the spawn screen and then spawning and playing for 30 seconds I'll say **** you people who kept playing Metro. Look what you did, you utter turds. So I quit that one.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 lostrib

@McStrongfast said:

Only played a wee bit, but SP already seems like a significant improvement over BF3. Intro is alright storytelling, ok use of licensed song, you can sort of spot people and sort of have your squad help, gather weapons like in BC and at least that one section was more freeform, like BC. Hope the whole rest of the game is like that, but I hear it isn't. Has a scoring system, which I guess is a good thing. Although with a gameism like that it seems they'll trip themselves and fall on the cake they wanna eat with the emotional bondage. Getting control taken away is so damned trite. For as little as I've played, it feels like I've only actually played like half of it.

MP is very more of the same so far. There are improvements, tweaks, intricacies and big things like Commander, but the overall feel of most everything is super familiar if you've played BF3 for some amount of recent time. Don't know how long I'll stick by this one honestly. Hopefully other maps are more alluring than Shanghai, which is the only one I've played so far. Or maybe I'll get into Obliteration. Or the aforementioned Commander position. Not throwing the towel in this early.

The first map I joined was actually Operation Locker. After seeing the spawn screen and then spawning and playing for 30 seconds I'll say **** you people who kept playing Metro. Look what you did, you utter turds. So I quit that one.

Locker is a better map than Metro

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#246 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Well obviously. How could anything possibly match or exceed its putrid awfulness?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 wis3boi

Benchmarks out

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By lostrib

@McStrongfast said:

Well obviously. How could anything possibly match or exceed its putrid awfulness?

well they are remaking it for DLC...

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#249  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

40 FPS at ultra 1600p.

Consoles can suck it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Really tempted to upgrade my GPU for the MP. Single Player runs maxed out at 60 almost constant so far but the MP is gonna be another story completely and because the game looks so good I wanna be playing on higher settings. Normally I play on all low in MP just to get near 144 fps for my monitor