Batman Arkham Origins - mega flop 6/10

• 193 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by getyeryayasout (7183 posts) -

Sounds like it's more of the same, good thing in the case of the Arkham series. Will buy.

#152 Posted by AM-Gamer (3583 posts) -

@mems_1224:

Its a Awesome game and exactly the reason why I don't trust gamespot anymore. It has nothing to do with being a fanboy of any console, it just comes down to the fact that the current reviewers seem to have a different taste in games then I do. You give "The Last of US" a 8? Which deserved much higher. Then give " Beyond two Souls" a 9? LMAO really? You barely play the game. Not to mention Journey winning GOTY. Game critics are almost becoming like movie critics. Its like they look for some special thing in the product that is irrelevant to 95% of the people enjoying it.

#153 Posted by princeofshapeir (13790 posts) -

A fair bit of warning: if you weren't a master at Asylum and City don't play Origins on hard. I thought I was pretty good at the previous games, but the first boss on hard is just kicking my ass lol

I've also noticed the counter mechanic is slightly less responsive than Asylum and City.

#154 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5800 posts) -

It's starting to become a bit of a chore for me... The boss battles are good, but the rest is a bit boring. I might return it and wait for it to go on sale...

#155 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21562 posts) -

Well she only gave Luigis Mansion Dark Moon a 6.5. I will say the framerate is pretty bad and whilst it hasn't really changed in terms of combat it isn't really a bad thing just not taking it to the next level. The other two games which are massive successes also gave this game a challenge but overall I think this game is still a solid 8. I thought Gametrailers gave it a fair review.

Delete the patches for the game and it will fix the frame rate.

#156 Posted by uninspiredcup (7873 posts) -

A fair bit of warning: if you weren't a master at Asylum and City don't play Origins on hard. I thought I was pretty good at the previous games, but the first boss on hard is just kicking my ass lol

I've also noticed the counter mechanic is slightly less responsive than Asylum and City.

Works fine for me, just have to time it at the very last second. I hate AC's which gives you a half hour to respond.

#157 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10324 posts) -

@ AM-Gamer

You do play Beyond. More importantly Beyond and TLOU are two totally different games, they're judged by different criteria and are held up to different standards, Beyond scoring higher has got nothing to do with TLOU, theres no universal critiquing system because not all genres are equall.

#158 Posted by soulitane (13435 posts) -

Should be great, I look forward to playing it.

#159 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4047 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

I found that. If you replay the beggining bit of Arkham City on hard, you'll realise it's also much tougher. I recently started on it because I was getting a bit bored of waiting for origins, and I found it is tough until you get the 'critical hit' upgrade.

That is why the first fight with Croc is such a bitch. He's moving quite fast and those other guys won't stay down.

#160 Posted by Peredith (2308 posts) -

So as good as the 2 previous games? Because they were 6/10 quality too.

#161 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Well we shall see what scores COD Ghost gets when it comes out in a few weeks, better stay consistent Gamespot

Beyond 2 Souls > Batman Arkham Origins

#162 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4047 posts) -

I bet the PS3 version is probably worth an 8. Man the comedy value of playing through with the 60s TV show costume. Just running around going 'dada dada dada dada Batman'. The cutscenes must be pure gold. imo that's a bigger exclusive coup than the Joker in AA multiplayer on the PS3.

Not sold on the Knightfall costume though.

#163 Posted by gameofthering (10139 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

I found that. If you replay the beggining bit of Arkham City on hard, you'll realise it's also much tougher. I recently started on it because I was getting a bit bored of waiting for origins, and I found it is tough until you get the 'critical hit' upgrade.

That is why the first fight with Croc is such a bitch. He's moving quite fast and those other guys won't stay down.

I think it's just the same apart from that boss Bane! I died alot :(

I also mess up my

@princeofshapeir said:

Works fine for me, just have to time it at the very last second. I hate AC's which gives you a half hour to respond.

Do you noticed that the enemies change there mind about attacking you in Origins compared to AA & AC? The counter image flashes about your head but then they decide not to attack and that makes me mess my combo up :(

#164 Edited by uninspiredcup (7873 posts) -

Well we shall see what scores COD Ghost gets when it comes out in a few weeks, better stay consistent Gamespot

Na mate, this is a game, it has game-play and stuff. Challenge and actual decent writing.

#165 Posted by Zassimick (6345 posts) -

I loved Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City is one of my favorite games of the generation. I doubt I'll be too disappointed in this one, even if it is more of the same. Hopefully will get this one around Christmas time.

#166 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1148 posts) -

While I am surprised at the score, the series never pulled me in.

#167 Posted by mark1982 (557 posts) -

I'm enjoying Batman at the moment, the storytelling is the main thing that keeps pulling me in, Sessler was definite right about that

#168 Edited by wolverine4262 (19057 posts) -

I played about 2 hours last night. The gameplay definitely screams more of the same, but thats not a bad thing. Dont like the Batman voice actor, not a huge deal. Graphics have gotten a nice bump. Story looks good.

#169 Posted by 001011000101101 (3951 posts) -

lol Gamespot reviews.

#170 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Na mate, this is a game, it has game-play and stuff. Challenge and actual decent writing.

Beyond 2 Souls (9.0)

Batman Arkham Origins (6.0)

I did not say it, gamespot did so.....

#171 Edited by Meinhard1 (6768 posts) -

This seems like a game that will give fans their batman fix.

A step back from excellence is greatness.

The metascore is 79 which is right on the boarder between A and AA. Adjust for disappointed fan reviews and you pretty much have a solid 8 game.

#172 Posted by Solaryellow (464 posts) -

The Arkham series reminds me of both the Metroid Prime and Bioshock series when it comes to the environment and atmosphere which act like a character or another boss....if you will. Gotham City on Christmas Eve is crucial to this game and in my opinion it is executed very well. Not only is the environment important when it comes to a stealthy batman but (like City) you witness parts of the canon that may have only be touched upon briefly or not thoroughly enough in past games or movies.

#173 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I don't get why she praised the story. Everything she said is stuff that's been done before.

I'm probably gonna get this game in a year or two for $10 or so. More of the same is good with such satisfying gameplay and great characters.

#174 Posted by princeofshapeir (13790 posts) -

I played about 2 hours last night. The gameplay definitely screams more of the same, but thats not a bad thing. Dont like the Batman voice actor, not a huge deal. Graphics have gotten a nice bump. Story looks good.

I like the Batman voice actor. He sounds more menacing than Conroy ever did.

#175 Posted by Minishdriveby (9762 posts) -

overrated series anyway

I agree. It's weird to see the game on a lot of people's game of the generation lists.

#176 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Game is fantastic. Glad I got it Day-1.

#177 Posted by vashkey (33718 posts) -

Not too surprised. When I saw it wasn't Rocksteady I wasn't too confident. Although I was at least expecting a little better since they were working on the frame work of Rocksteady's games.

I'm still going to rent it though

#178 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4047 posts) -

@gameofthering said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@princeofshapeir said:

I think it's just the same apart from that boss Bane! I died alot :(
I also mess up my

@uninspiredcup said:

@princeofshapeir said:

Do you noticed that the enemies change there mind about attacking you in Origins compared to AA & AC? The counter image flashes about your head but then they decide not to attack and that makes me mess my combo up :(

I'm playing on hard like the other games in ther series and I think they've damaged the combat system. They've sped it up, made counters less responsive and replaced critical hit with critical counters which is hard to pull off. Not only is it time sensitive but as you said the enemies are a little less predictable. Sometimes you expect someone to attack in a big group but they leave a gap which messes up your flow.

I had to grind (get my experience points up) to unlock the critical counters upgrade, because I knew it was going to get tedious if I didn't, but it's not working for me, combats just not enjoyable. I'm really starting to get tired of this game now and i'm probably 5% or less through it, I've just got past the Penguin arms deal bit when Batman drops the guy into the Christmas tree. I'm seriously considering dropping Arkham Origins to go back to Arkham City now.

I'm starting to understand the low scores. How the f*ck can someone mess this up, it was all done for them. You can tell they made these changes for the sake of it.

I stand by my complaint about the review though, because she gave it a low score and didn't explain why. Imo the combat is not the same, I think the map is a mess and it's missing the atmosphere of the other Arkham games and It doesn't feel as coherent as the other games either.

#179 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4706 posts) -

Welp. Every review I've read mentions how similar Origins is to City, but all of them still made the game sound great. If the game still plays well and the core mechanics are just as amazing as they were in 2011, the game should not be overly penalized. Caroline Petit seems like a victim of high expectations and expressed it in her score while making the game seem like a solid 8 in the review.

#180 Posted by GhoX (4801 posts) -

I never noticed the problem with combat when I played the game at expo, because I was playing the demo with full-stealth. >_>

So, I guess the stealth elements may still be fine. That's how I play the game anyway, so maybe I'll get it after all.

#181 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

I just bought it on Steam, as I am bored of my current gaming library. It's currently downloading; I look forward to playing it.

#183 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16133 posts) -

I just finished the game and was pretty disappointed by the experience. I hear a lot of reviewers giving praise to the story, but I thought the story was a bit of a mess. The game ceased having a main over arching story thread at the half way point. The game awkwardly stumbles to the end and ends up feeling short in the progress. It's a shame, because the story is very strong until you reach that halfway point. The story needed to be longer or have a narrower focus for it to be better.

The combat in the game is fine as it's always been. Even if little has been added to it, it's still the best combat in the action adventure genre to date. The stealth portions are the parts that NEEDED to evolve, unfortunatly they are exactly the same as they were in the past two games. They feel really outdated at this point. I played Blacklist earlier this year, and that sequel managed to evolve it's stealth in interesting ways, but Origins just rehashes the same gameplay and ends up feeling tedious.

#184 Posted by princeofshapeir (13790 posts) -

Two hours in I can feel this game just lacks the polish and refinement of Asylum and City.

Still far from a 6 from what I've played, though.

#185 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3794 posts) -

I don't understand how fifa, CoD, and madden get 8s and 9s every year while producing minimal innovation, but this game does it and it gets this kind of numbers.

I don't trust mainstream reviews anymore, it's just nonsensical.

#186 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

I don't understand how fifa, CoD, and madden get 8s and 9s every year while producing minimal innovation, but this game does it and it gets this kind of numbers.

I don't trust mainstream reviews anymore, it's just nonsensical.

AAA Blockbuster titles are held to a higher standard. A 6/10 for Batman: Arkham Origins is equivalent to a 12/10 for FIFA, COD, and Madden.

#187 Posted by uninspiredcup (7873 posts) -

GTA: Vice City should have scored a 6 since it's basically the exact same game but a prequel.

#188 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

Great game but it is exactly like Origins. The Deathstroke boss fight was easy even on hard mode. Good try for Warner Bros but they had a lot to live up to with Arkham City. Hopefully Rocksteady is working on the true Arkham Sequel.

#189 Edited by uninspiredcup (7873 posts) -

@SonofK said:

Great game but it is exactly like Origins. The Deathstroke boss fight was easy even on hard mode. Good try for Warner Bros but they had a lot to live up to with Arkham City. Hopefully Rocksteady is working on the true Arkham Sequel.

This "true sequel" is fanboy bullshit. Alot of people are just trying to shit on this game because it's not Rocksteady even though it's just as good (if not better).

#190 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

Just finished downloading the game via Steam and am about to install it. Let's see how good it is.

#191 Edited by Vatusus (4448 posts) -

GTA: Vice City should have scored a 6 since it's basically the exact same game but a prequel.

BS. Vice City improved A LOT upon GTA3. It added bikes, more vehicles, purchasable property, more mission variety, more sidemissions. VC was to GTA 3 what Arkham City was to Asylum

#192 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

I won't buy games that score a 6/10 because that is very average and I prefer great games. Luckily for Batman AO, it scored an 8/10, so I'll pick up a copy tomorrow after work.

#193 Edited by chocolate1325 (32472 posts) -

The majority of reviews have given it about an 8 which is probably just about right. The gameplay is unchanged which can be either a good or a bad thing but it isn't enough to warrant a 6. There's plenty of content there for it not to. So far I am enjoying the game.

I don't think the atmosphere is as good as prior games but overall there is alot of freedom to do stuff in this game.

#194 Posted by sSubZerOo (43082 posts) -

This game honestly sounds like a glorified expansion than a actual sequel (or prequel in this regard).

#195 Edited by uninspiredcup (7873 posts) -

@sSubZerOo said:

This game honestly sounds like a glorified expansion than a actual sequel (or prequel in this regard).

The game is about twice as long as Arkham City. That must be some expansion.

Also if you think it isn't a prequel then you haven't played it, pure and simple.

#196 Posted by chocolate1325 (32472 posts) -

This past year Gamespot has been getting a reputation for giving games strange scores.

TLOU 8

Beyond Two Souls 9

Luigis Mansion Dark Moon 6.5

Bioshock Infinite McShea review 4

Batman Arkham Origins 6

Funny how games like TLOU have won awards already and Bioshock too.

#197 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4047 posts) -

I'm 2 thirds through the game on hard (first time play, not rushing it) and i'm now happy to agree that the game is a solid 6/10. As I say, the review content doesn't match the score, but I think the score is right on,

It's just the most meh experience. It just feels so vanilla and unexciting.

It feels like it has no atmosphere as well. The other Arkham games were oozing with atmosphere. After playing this, I can see just how much genius there is in the design of the Arkham City world. The map may be twice the size in Origins, but it's just for the sake of it like they say in the review. And there feels like there is too much grinding with the xp points and the upgrading.

I'd say it's worth a rent, just to breeze through it on normal. I got it at full price for £30, so am going to try to get as much as I can out of it before I put it down for good. I don't see me still playing this in a couple of months, but I will Arkham City, and i'll be playing it until the next Rocksteady Batman game comes out.

#198 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

The only thing that is wrong with the game is the bugs, but other than that its better than Arkham city, but not as good as AA.

What the reviewer expects to be a completely different to the previous ones, like make it completely first person?