Batman Arkham Origins - mega flop 6/10

• 193 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I loved the first game so much.. the second game was ok and this game is no buy till it hit $10 or something i think im over it already but i'd surely be excited for a next gen batman game though.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I am kind of disappointed....I don't think I will spend $50 on the same ol same ol.....I will wait till it goes on sale

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
No surprises or innovations to liven up the gameplay
Characters in multiplayer feel frustratingly weak

Cutting off 4 points for that?

What the hell, Carolyn?

I'm honestly getting irritated by this whole "oh, boo hooo, nothing NEW, nothing INNOVATIVE" complaining going on these days.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

The reviews all over are pretty low/average and you know what sucks? They're docking marks for it not being innovative and just "more of the same" which is such horse shit. Wait till you see CoD Ghosts,AC IV and BF4 get away with it

All I wanted was more of the same really and I'm pretty happy that that's what it is

I played the first half an hour last night. My only real complaint is batmans voice.

Why? From the trailers Roger seemed to be a pretty decent fit for a younger Batman. He has that deepness to his voice like Conroy.

Conroy always fell incredibly flat when Batman had to raise his voice or shout. He was only good when he was doing the inner monologue stuff in the games or talking normally

Well it's not that there's an actual problem with the voice, like I said I played the first half an hour. The problem is when you follow the industry as much as we do you start to realize people and as @TheGuardian03 said it's roger craig smith. Who I highly recognize from the Resident evil titles this gen. Not that it's bad. It just causes some dissonance in my brain.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Batman Flopham Borigins.... Said it first.

Wasn't expecting it to revolutionize the series... Was hoping it would be another arkham game I could sink my teeth into... Cant help but to observe the hypocritical deduction of over all quality centering around the lack of innovation in the gameplay and then looking at the yearly retreads like CoD, and the the like somehow always skating by without a whisper. II'll reserve judgement till I see how harsh gamespot is with cod ghosts and battlefield.... When they quietly pass off an 8/10 despite the gameplay being exactly the same over the last 10 installments, that's when I'll riot :P

It is another arkham game you can sink your teeth into!

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Pretty clear from the beginning that this was a way to get in another Batman game while the install base for Ps3/X360 is at its maximum. Rocksteady just shipped the code across the atlantic for the completely new studio to tweak a bit, package and sell. Still more of the same is good enough for me as this is the mechanically best action/adventure franchise in the world.

What I really want though is Rocksteady's next project :D!

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

i can't stand the batman titles but just look who reviewed it... no enough females in the game to guarantee a 8/10

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

Conroy is Batman just like Hayter is Snake.

Roger Craig Smith is a good Batman though.

Question is Troy Baker a good Joker?

Very much so. He's freakishly similar to Hamill at times and really sounds convincing as a younger version of that. Just listen to this:

Troy Baker reads Joker Monologue

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

F*ck the scores

Read the review. Review makes it sound like it's still a great game. Just same as Arkham City. I remember people buying Harley Quinn's revenge just because it was more Arkham City. Well, Origin seems to be more Arkham City, but bigger, so what's the problem.

seriously, people who rely on scores only, please. Learn to read English.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@funsohng said:

F*ck the scores

Read the review. Review makes it sound like it's still a great game. Just same as Arkham City. I remember people buying Harley Quinn's revenge just because it was more Arkham City. Well, Origin seems to be more Arkham City, but bigger, so what's the problem.

GAF is the worst for this sort of stuff. Reading some of the stuff over there is such hypocrisy. One minute it's "Never trust review scores" and now it's "will wait for a steam sale based on those scores"

I know that's a bit off topic and not even about people here but it just annoyed me

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@GhoX said:

by Carolyn Petit

I see... so this could be very good.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#63  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

@funsohng said:

F*ck the scores

The Harley Quinn DLC didn't do too well from what I recall. Perhaps people expected more than just the same song and dance after two years? I mean City was released two years after Asylum, and there are significant differences between the two.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@LJS9502_basic: WORTHLESS until it's the score you want. amirite? High five.

Considering I don't pay attention to scores......that makes no sense. Next time please read my posts so as not to waste our time going over something I've already stated. Thanks....

But you care enough to be here discussing the score....right.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

@RR360DD said:

I hope this is a sign of gamespot finally using the full 10 point scale.

My thoughts exactly, which also means this game isn't bad -- it's flawed, but still fun for the right group.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By LordOfPoms

@seanmcloughlin said:

@funsohng said:

F*ck the scores

GAF is the worst for this sort of stuff. Reading some of the stuff over there is such hypocrisy. One minute it's "Never trust review scores" and now it's "will wait for a steam sale based on those scores"

I know that's a bit off topic and not even about people here but it just annoyed me

What I love is their allegiance to Steam Sales, which are getting worse and worse each year (unless you're a brand new PC convert, then they still kickass). Steam Sales are going to have to compete with digital offerings from GOG/Amazon/Sony/MS/Ubisoft/EA/X Digital Store Front. You don't need to wait for Steam Sale anymore, they come fairly often and much sooner. It's how I got Tomb Raider for 25 bucks one month after it launched.

Going back to what you said. GAF hates the 4 point review scale, but refuses to buy anything Day 1 that isn't a 9. So why bitch if you don't even take chances on games? Do they only see movies that get Oscar Nominations? The hardcore fans of this industry must be maddening to deal with sometimes....

"Make NEW games! Oh, I only want sequels of your best IPs actually, but if you drop the price to 5 bucks I'll buy it!"

"Digital Downloading and DRM IS BAD! BRB, buying stuff on Steam!"

"LOL REHASHED GAME! COD SUXXXX. Oh, what's this? A new Mario. Take my money!"

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

Pre-ordered it a few weeks ago, just started downloading on Steam.

Going by the reviews I read, including the one on GS, the biggest issue is the similarity with the previous Arkham titles, leading to a franchise stagnation. Not a big issue for me, though, as I didn't expect any major steps forward for the franchise, so I'm not regretting my purchase.

------

However, these reviews set up an interesting precedent. A franchise stagnation is a rather common thing in the modern gaming industry, but most of the time, it's not cited as a big issue, and is swept under the rug in the reviews. I wonder, do these scores mean we can expect more harsh reviews when it comes to franchises like AC, CoD, BF, sports games, etc?

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LordOfPoms

@NameIess_One said:

Going by the reviews I read, including the one on GS, the biggest issue is the similarity with the previous Arkham titles, leading to a franchise stagnation. Not a big issue for me, though, as I didn't expect any major steps forward for the franchise, so I'm not regretting my purchase.

------

However, these reviews set up an interesting precedent. A franchise stagnation is a rather common thing in the modern gaming industry, but most of the time, it's not cited as a big issue, and is swept under the rug in the reviews. I wonder, do these scores mean we can expect more harsh reviews when it comes to franchises like AC, CoD, BF, sports games, etc?

The Games Industry needs harsher criticism, but it also needs fans to understand why harsher criticism exists. Polygon, despite their SimCity debacle, has been pretty good about not being a "8-10 only" review site.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I can't take reviews seriously from a site that gave gta v a 9/10.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@LordOfPoms said:

What I love is their allegiance to Steam Sales, which are getting worse and worse each year (unless you're a brand new PC convert, then they still kickass). Steam Sales are going to have to compete with digital offerings from GOG/Amazon/Sony/MS/Ubisoft/EA/X Digital Store Front. You don't need to wait for Steam Sale anymore, they come fairly often and much sooner. It's how I got Tomb Raider for 25 bucks one month after it launched.

Going back to what you said. GAF hates the 4 point review scale, but refuses to buy anything Day 1 that isn't a 9. So why bitch if you don't even take chances on games? Do they only see movies that get Oscar Nominations?

PC gaming is already dirt fvcking cheap though but people still wait for sales. I mean I got Batman Origins for 28 EUR. A launch game at that price is unheard of, in fact I got Tomb Raider at launch earlier in the year for 24 EUR. And people STILL wait for sales? Then they're surprised when games sell little at launch

They're a very toxic community when they want to be and would give the hypocrisy here a pretty good run for its money. They love Sony just as much over there as anywhere else but always deny it

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

@LordOfPoms said:

@NameIess_One said:

------

The Games Industry needs harsher criticism, but it also needs fans to understand why harsher criticism exists. Polygon, despite their SimCity debacle, has been pretty good about not being a "8-10 only" review site.

I agree... I have no problems with harsh criticism, as long as it's consistent, and backed with sensible arguments. For example, would be pretty sad if Arkham Origins picks up a lot of flak for not moving the franchise forward in any meaningful way, while a bunch of other major IPs get away with it, with the issue swept under the rug.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 LordOfPoms

@NameIess_One said:

@LordOfPoms said:

@NameIess_One said:

------

I agree... I have no problems with harsh criticism, as long as it's consistent, and backed with sensible arguments. For example, would be pretty sad if Arkham Origins picks up a lot of flak for not moving the franchise forward in any meaningful way, while a bunch of other major IPs get away with it, with the issue swept under the rug.

That's my worry too. I like that they called this game out for being more of the same -- not a bad thing, just not necessarily moving anything forward -- but I fear COD: Ghosts will introduce a dog, fish swimming away and better graphics and get hailed as some sort godly game you must buy now.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#75 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

The reviews all over are pretty low/average and you know what sucks? They're docking marks for it not being innovative and just "more of the same" which is such horse shit. Wait till you see CoD Ghosts,AC IV and BF4 get away with it

All I wanted was more of the same really and I'm pretty happy that that's what it is

You never know. Cod might get rated 5 or lower!

Probably not... it'll get 8+ no matter what.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#76  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Want regardless. Really enjoyed the first game and I'll have to get the second one.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

Yet call of Duty keeps getting 9s. Its pathetic really.

Not saying this one should get a 9 but 7 hours in and having a lot of fun.Also It looks AMAZING maxed out on PC too. A 6, really ? Mainstream, yey.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#78 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Interesting how Batman got a 6 for lacking new features... yet Just Dance got a 7 for lacking new features.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#79  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@beganoo said:

Yet call of Duty keeps getting 9s. Its pathetic really.

Not saying this one should get a 9 but 7 hours in and having a lot of fun.Also It looks AMAZING maxed out on PC too. A 6, really ? Mainstream, yey.

Considering GameSpot's new stricter reviewing policy (i.e. using the full 10-point scale), I doubt the next COD will get a 9, but probably a 7 or 8 this time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@LordOfPoms said:

That's my worry too. I like that they called this game out for being more of the same -- not a bad thing, just not necessarily moving anything forward -- but I fear COD: Ghosts will introduce a dog, fish swimming away and better graphics and get hailed as some sort godly game you must buy now.

That's not a bad thing to mention in the body of the review....I just don't think it should major points for it. The game should be scored based on the game itself and not expectations.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I had skipped this game even if it had got 9-10/10, i am tired of batman after the last game and movies.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#82 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

When Is Gamespot going to come down this hard on Call of Duty for being the same game every year but with a reskin?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@GhoX said:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/batman-arkham-origins-review/1900-6415506/

The Good:

• Movement, free-flow combat, and stealth mechanics are as solid as ever
  • Story has some great moments and makes good use of characters

The Bad:

• No surprises or innovations to liven up the gameplay
  • Characters in multiplayer feel frustratingly weak

6/10 on Gamespot by Carolyn Petit

Honestly those negatives don't seem like they would drag the score down to a 6/10.

From what I've seen of this game already, it seems like I'll enjoy it way more than city.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I hate when "lack of innovation" but yet I see some games get away with it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#85 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

I see this like a "formula" film. It isn't innovative, you have done it before, but its fun. I have it and am playing it as I type. It's a blast so far. By the way what was it's hype? I never saw an official vote/thread. If none, then it cant flop. Don't get what's so hard to understand about that to some here.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

Honestly I'd say it's a pretty shitty critique, not unlike the body of Carolyns other reviews.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

Just think if Deadpool had the new rating system it would probably have the same rating, lol GS.

These reviews are just getting worse each time a big title is released.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Will buy eventually

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By LordOfPoms

@LJS9502_basic said:

@LordOfPoms said:

That's not a bad thing to mention in the body of the review....I just don't think it should major points for it. The game should be scored based on the game itself and not expectations.

I disagree. If you're releasing a brand new game in a series, but it offers nothing new, then it should absolutely be docked. It's like when a movie sequel comes out and you get the same exact plot (Hangover 2, Hangover 3) with tired jokes/gags/plots, but a new location. That's absolutely a reason to dock a game some major points. It can still be fun, and it can still be a great game to people who are fans of the series, but why make a sequel when your brand new big budget game might as well have been an add-on pack?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#90 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Conroy is Batman just like Hayter is Snake.

Roger Craig Smith is a good Batman though.

Question is Troy Baker a good Joker?

Very much so. He's freakishly similar to Hamill at times and really sounds convincing as a younger version of that. Just listen to this:

Troy Baker reads Joker Monologue

I don't agree at all. I much prefer this new Batman. While Conroy is great, this Batman sounds much more grufffer while also being recognizable. It also just feels fresher. Frankly, both Conroy and Luke Skywalker are way overused. It's reached the point of saturation.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LJS9502_basic

@LordOfPoms said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@LordOfPoms said:

I disagree. If you're releasing a brand new game in a series, but it offers nothing new, then it should absolutely be docked. It's like when a movie sequel comes out and you get the same exact plot (Hangover 2, Hangover 3) with tired jokes/gags/plots, but a new location. That's absolutely a reason to dock a game some major points. It can still be fun, and it can still be a great game to people who are fans of the series, but why make a sequel when your brand new big budget game might as well have been an add-on pack?

Why should it be docked? If you liked the first Hangover chances are the sequels will entertain you. That doesn't mean everyone is going to like it...but you should rate all medium as stand alone. It's fine to say it's more of the same so people that don't want more of the same know to stay away....but if the games is executed well....it's executed well. Period.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#92 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

Yeah COD every year does it.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

pretty much expected..... Rocksteady didn't develop so of course

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 uninspiredcup

@LJS9502_basic said:

@LordOfPoms said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@LordOfPoms said:

Why should it be docked? If you liked the first Hangover chances are the sequels will entertain you. That doesn't mean everyone is going to like it...but you should rate all medium as stand alone. It's fine to say it's more of the same so people that don't want more of the same know to stay away....but if the games is executed well....it's executed well. Period.

Indeed it is executed well. It's a dam good game from what I'm seeing personally. Seriously, if anyone thinks this is even close to approaching a bad game you might want to hand in your gun and gaming badge.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LJS9502_basic

@stereointegrity said:

And this brings us to another issue.....bigger devs get the benefit of the doubt and don't get docked much, if at all....for more the same. Which means reviews use double standards. Which means they are worthless. Like I stated before.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

Yeah COD every year does it.

CoD, AssCreed, etc. They all get away with it. Personally I wouldn't have taken away so many points for that. In my mind, a sequel that doesn't improve much upon the formula has a cap of 8/10.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By uninspiredcup

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stereointegrity said:

And this brings us to another issue.....bigger devs get the benefit of the doubt and don't get docked much, if at all....for more the same. Which means reviews use double standards. Which means they are worthless. Like I stated before.

This game improves upon Rockstreadys in multiple regards.

Example: Playing on hard you will die a lot, in Rockstreadys games having to select "retry" over and over was a pain in the butt. This game fixes that by just automatically taking you to checkpoint screen. Simple but welcomed.

the330and419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 the330and419
Member since 2013 • 245 Posts

Got it delivered from Amazon today. Looking forward to playing it later tonight after work. So basically, all reviews for this game is saying it's the same as asylum and city? How does that make it a 6/10? Sounds awesome to me. Loved the first two.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99  Edited By DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Got it, Asylum, and Origins for $40 on GMG, so I have zero fucks to give. Looking forward to playing it.

Just waiting for Call of Duty 10 to get a 9, even though it's the same goddamn game we've been getting yearly since '07.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Carolyn sucking as a reviewer as usual, but at least this time she is being a shining example of the hypocrisy of game reviewers.

Where was the 6 for MW3 when it gave us way more of the same just done worse? Too many series get praise every single iteration regardless of actual merit, yet they go and dock a game this majorly for the same crap that the rest of the big titles never get held accountable for.

Welp, maybe next time the devs need to just toss some money to GS to get that 9/10.