Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition anyone?

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 0

#1 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

So Baldur's Gate Enchanced edition came out about 2 days ago... and yet no one on sys wars has mentioned it. Is anyone here playing the start of the greatest rpg epic of all time?

This will be my 3rd playthrough since the game was released 14 years ago. I still remember getting the game box and opening up to see a large fold out sleeve with 5 cds in it and a epic map. Those were the days when pc games had manuals too, and large boxes.

It was the game that made me get back into pc gaming and skip the consoles during last gen. I remember owning great jrpgs on ps1 and reading the mags seeing Baldurs Gate in the ads for the playstation....it never came... (there is videos on youtube with the ps1 version btw..) So I got a crappy pentium 2 knockoff from my cousin and played the hell out of BG1... then got me a voodoo card and moved into full scale pc gaming. It was an epic time of great rpgs all started from BG1 (as rpgs had died for a few years since the 386 era.)

The remaster is great so far! Its all 3d accelerated so the fog of war is smooth, and its in widescreen. I recommend anyone who hasn't played it, to play it! And if you haven't played it for a while go through it again. It makes rpgs from now feel like crap.

Anyway... PC >>> ALL ... there ..now its system wars worthy.

Here is the link for the game:http://www.baldursgate.com/

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Meh, I will just stick to my original copy
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

If I'm going to play Baldur's Gate, I might as well play 2. That's the only one anyone talks about.

I'll wait and see if they enhance that.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
bought it, but haven't started it yet. still pretty excited, but I just don't have the time right now. that... and I'm trying to save all my RPG effort for pier solar HD in a year.
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Midnightshade29
Meh, I will just stick to my original copyfunsohng
This will be the 4th time I bought the game. My first copy was sold with all my other pc games when I needed cash back in 2003.. I bought it again in a 20 game ADnD set I imported from the UK (as it wasn't released in the US). Then again on GOG... and now this. I love my BG and wii be buying BG2 enhanced when that comes out too. My hopes is that they make good and make a 3rd game like they said they wanted to.
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Midnightshade29

If I'm going to play Baldur's Gate, I might as well play 2. That's the only one anyone talks about.

I'll wait and see if they enhance that.

Cherokee_Jack
they are going to, but the first game starts it all and is a must play imo. You will be pretty confused going into the 2nd without knowing anything. As you would start out with characters you wouldn' t know all high level. There is no comic book intro to get you in..lol.. This is a real continuation series. People talk about 2 more because it's newer and had an epic plot. But that plot wouldn't of been the same without the story from bg1. Playing a week level 1 character is sometimes way more fun then playing a powerhouse as every move could be your last.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

there was one other thread on it. i've been playing since wednesday. the new npcs are nice but having played a modded version, it doesn't really have a new feeling to it. it's still the best version though and i encourage everybody to get it. :)

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Midnightshade29
[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]bought it, but haven't started it yet. still pretty excited, but I just don't have the time right now. that... and I'm trying to save all my RPG effort for pier solar HD in a year.

Cool... yeah, i know what you mean about time. Between work, my 2 kids and wife and the holidays, I am booked up too. Which is why my vita gets most of the love these days. What's pier solar HD?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Getting it on my iPad.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Is it better than Fallout 2?
Probs not.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"][QUOTE="Some-Mist"]bought it, but haven't started it yet. still pretty excited, but I just don't have the time right now. that... and I'm trying to save all my RPG effort for pier solar HD in a year.

Cool... yeah, i know what you mean about time. Between work, my 2 kids and wife and the holidays, I am booked up too. Which is why my vita gets most of the love these days. What's pier solar HD?

just a remake of an old school sega gensis/megadrive RPG that's being ported to PC/DC. but my problem is that my RPG catalog is literally insane right now and it's hard to pick and choose titles. If I can find time on a weekend, I want to try and knock out baldur's gate as I've heard it's one of the best RPGs of all time.. I just don't want to rush it and potentially miss the greatness. I've never played any of the baldur's gates games unfortunately.. but it's definitely there. [spoiler]  [/spoiler]
bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Excellent, didn't realise it was out. I never finished it first time round and lost my original copy. Definitely going to pick this up.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'll pick it up later this month.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#14 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

The only old ass games I still play are the old ass games that I played when I was young. I didn't play this one, so f*ck it.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

I never played Baldur's Gate, so I'll be picking this eventually, probably some time next year...

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I'll buy it when it comes to steam, if it doesn't... meh, I can just play my old copy again also, congrats on not sounding like a sony advertisement... now you sound like a Baldur's gate commercial :P
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts
Shame it wasn't released on Arcade and PSN.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'll buy it when it comes to steam, if it doesn't... meh, I can just play my old copy again also, congrats on not sounding like a sony advertisement... now you sound like a Baldur's gate commercial :Prilpas

Don't think it will be coming to steam at all (or at least a very long time).

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Shame it wasn't released on Arcade and PSN.freedomfreak

It would be hilarious trying to see console peasants trying to playing this game with a gamepad!:lol:

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts
I might have to get it, pretty buried in games right now.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Shame it wasn't released on Arcade and PSN.Kinthalis

It would be hilarious trying to see console peasants trying to playing this game with a gamepad!:lol:

Yes. There's nothing funnier.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Shame it wasn't released on Arcade and PSN.Kinthalis

Normally I would agree ^^ but given the pause, and boardlike movements, it could be possible to play with a controller, it would not be pleasent, but plausible XD

It is the difficulty that will get them ;) and the many many lines of text XD

(Note: the above is mostly SW parody, since the PC and consoles has a both have a huge chunk of people who considers reading some minial form of torture).

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46182 Posts

What's enhanced in this version?

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CaseyWegner

R4gn4r0k

it offers increased resolution, widescreen support, bugfixes, ui and game features from baldur's gate 2, cross-platform multiplayer, three new characters, and a new challenge arena.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

CaseyWegner

it offers increased resolution, widescreen support, bugfixes, ui and game features from baldur's gate 2, cross-platform multiplayer, three new characters, and a new challenge arena.

So this is the best edition of Baldur's Gate ? So they didn't alter the gameplay or anything for it to work on tablets ?

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#26 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Shame it wasn't released on Arcade and PSN.freedomfreak

the f*ck do these people get this sh*t from? I must notv surf eough (btw look up steelheart's I'll Never Let You Go") and have your mind blown.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Master_ShakeXXX

the f*ck do these people get this sh*t from? I must notv surf eough (btw look up steelheart's I'll Never Let You Go") and have your mind blown.

The idea that consolites cannot comprehend games like these , is ridiculous in its own. There's nothing cool about claiming superiority over this. There really isn't. I know the song.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
Shame it wasn't released on Arcade and PSN.freedomfreak
The devs were interested in those platforms, they just couldn't get the game to play on a controller without feeling like a train wreck.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freedomfreak  Online
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Shame it wasn't released on Arcade and PSN.santoron
The devs were interested in those platforms, they just couldn't get the game to play on a controller without feeling like a train wreck.

Shame.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

The idea that consolites cannot comprehend games like these , is ridiculous in its own. There's nothing cool about claiming superiority over this. There really isn't. I know the song.freedomfreak

The disrespectful way it was written aside, there is truth in Kinthalis' post: this simply would not work on gamepads.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]The idea that consolites cannot comprehend games like these , is ridiculous in its own. There's nothing cool about claiming superiority over this. There really isn't. I know the song.R4gn4r0k

The disrespectful way it was written aside, there is truth in Kinthalis' post: this simply would not work on gamepads.

It wouldn't. It's the "consolites wouldn't be able to comprehend this game" bs that I was mostly talking about. Also, not necessarily just about this thread.
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts
Im just playing my copy I got from GOG.com which cost me less then half of these version
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts
[QUOTE="santoron"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Shame it wasn't released on Arcade and PSN.freedomfreak

Shame.

Both consoles have Keyboard and mouse support built in so why can't they just put it in the requriments when you DL the game. Whats the point of have a console that can support Keyboard and Mouse when most developers go no it wont work on consoles with a gamepad forgetting a K&M will work fine on the consoles
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 freedomfreak  Online
[QUOTE="ziggyww"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="santoron"] The devs were interested in those platforms, they just couldn't get the game to play on a controller without feeling like a train wreck.

Shame.

Both consoles have Keyboard and mouse support built in so why can't they just put it in the requriments when you DL the game. Whats the point of have a console that can support Keyboard and Mouse when most developers go no it wont work on consoles with a gamepad forgetting a K&M will work fine on the consoles

They probably see it as a hassle. Few would want to set up kb/m to play a game on their console. Not to mention it's uncomfortable as hell.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

R4gn4r0k

So this is the best edition of Baldur's Gate ? So they didn't alter the gameplay or anything for it to work on tablets ?

it's better than the vanilla version of the original. there are so many mods for it that a heavily modded original baldur's gate is still better but once new mods for the enhanced version start rolling out, it'll be better. the tablets have touch screen support and swiping between menus. sounds pretty cool to me.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 freedomfreak  Online
R4g, check the lounge.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"] Yes. There's nothing funnier.freedomfreak

The idea that consolites cannot comprehend games like these , is ridiculous in its own. There's nothing cool about claiming superiority over this. There really isn't. I know the song.

When did I claim that consolites "wouldn't comprehend" this game?

It's definitely nto for the call of duty crowd, but I'm sure some console gamers would get it, and enjoy it. IT's a classic western RPG. It was one of the game s that revitilized that genre.

The gamepads are the limitation. I do think the game wouldn't sell very well on cosnole, even if they could do something about the user interface though, but then again, most game slike this sell better on PC anyway.

Console gamers are the ONLY game group that is convinced their control method of choice is adaptable to everything and that adaptation is either superior or equal to anythign else.

PC gamers know that some games playbest with mouse and kleyboard, some play better with a gamepad, some play betetr witha joystick, some play better with a touch interface, some play better with a wheel, etc, etc, etc.

Not consolites. To them EVERYTHING should be playable with a gamepad. No further discussion is tolerated.

I've played games like Mario with a mouse and keyboard (thanks to emulators). I've also played other 2d platformers where mouse and keyboard were taken more into account. The experiences were serviceable, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you they were just as good as using a gamepad. And yet a console gamer will tell you that playing a shooter with a game pad (tank simulator) is just as good as playing with a mouse and keyboard.

Ridiculous.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Kinthalis

It's definitely nto for the call of duty crowd, but I'm sure some console gamers would get it, and enjoy it. IT's a classic western RPG. It was one of the game s that revitilized that genre.

The gamepads are the limitation. I do think the game wouldn't sell very well on cosnole, even if they could do something about the user interface though, but then again, most game slike this sell better on PC anyway.

and with low system requirements, it's pretty accessible to people.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 freedomfreak  Online

Kinthalis

You didn't. At least not in this thread. Just a general statement against that kind of attitude.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 santoron
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="ziggyww"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] Shame.

They probably see it as a hassle. Few would want to set up kb/m to play a game on their console. Not to mention it's uncomfortable as hell.

Yeah, not to mention the number of customers demanding refunds because they didn't read the note.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 freedomfreak  Online
[QUOTE="santoron"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="ziggyww"] Both consoles have Keyboard and mouse support built in so why can't they just put it in the requriments when you DL the game. Whats the point of have a console that can support Keyboard and Mouse when most developers go no it wont work on consoles with a gamepad forgetting a K&M will work fine on the consoles

Yeah, not to mention the number of customers demanding refunds because they didn't read the note.

Yup. I wouldn't bother with it myself if I was in charge.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#42 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i don't really see the need to buy it again. i'm glad to see a game from the 90's (don't fool yourself about the "enhanced" business. it's a re-release) is getting attention when publishers and media outlets are so obsessed with the latest games, but i already have it.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k

R4g, check the lounge.freedomfreak

Seems like a happy bunch of people ^^

But I know what you mean: people that claim to be better than others because they own a certain system. That's not even exclusive to hermits or even system wars for that matter. It's just human behaviour, that doesn't excuse it though. In real life there are so many people too that think they are better than others because they own something, a certain device, etc...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

Both consoles have Keyboard and mouse support built in so why can't they just put it in the requriments when you DL the game. Whats the point of have a console that can support Keyboard and Mouse when most developers go no it wont work on consoles with a gamepad forgetting a K&M will work fine on the consolesziggyww

Not many will go out and buy KB&M for one game so making that a requirement means you won't have many sales.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]R4g, check the lounge.R4gn4r0k

Seems like a happy bunch of people ^^

But I know what you mean: people that claim to be better than others because they own a certain system. That's not even exclusive to hermits or even system wars for that matter. It's just human behaviour, that doesn't excuse it though. In real life there are so many people too that think they are better than others because they own something, a certain device, etc...

The link I posted in the Lounge. Check it :evil:
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#46 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I'm going to get it on my iPad when it releases, I think this week.
SalikSST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 SalikSST
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts

just got that game few days ago i was always fascinated by this series but never got the chance to play it properly now enjoying it thoroughly worth the wait after 14 long years now anxious about sequel & possibly Planescape Torment EE version aswell.BTW does anyone know how to increase resolution by any means im stuck with default & there is nothing in GFX options beside Fullscreen?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Getting it on my iPad.charizard1605
I didn't know it was on the Ipad. SOLD. I haven't paid much attention to it since I still have the original and it's expansion. But an IOS version, sweet.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 santoron
I'm going to get it on my iPad when it releases, I think this week.musicalmac
This will be my first time through the game ( :oops: ) so I'm a little concerned that the interface might be a bit cramped on the iPad's screen. Still going to be a few weeks before I get started on the game though, so I should be able to check some reviews out before hand. If it sported cross platform cloud saves I'd just pick up both ios and PC and be done with it. I guess I don't know that it doesn't... So maybe it's time to go reading! *Edit* it appears they are intending to implement cross platform cloud based saves, but it's not in at launch and details haven't been ironed out. Guess I'll check back when I'm ready to buy and see where this is at.
Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

I loved BG2 but never finished BG1 so obviously i took this chance and bought the game.

So far i was really enjoying the game, but there are still alot of bugs and i've been the victim of one of those blocking me from getting one of the new npcs into my party :(