Audio pass-through the DS4 is amazing

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

I didn't realize how simple this was. When they said any headset works I thought it was meant for chat. All you have to do is connect your Audio Technica's, Ultimate Ears, SOL Republics, BOSE, V-MODAs, BEATS by DRE phD, or whatever headphones you have, to the Dual Shock 4 and have all game audio pass through the controller and you have high quality surround sound. And if they have a mic (many do now for cell phones) the mic works for chat as well.

LOL @ gaming headsets. Get yourself some high quality cans or IEMs that you can use for music and the ps4

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Yeah, man

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

How do you set all game audio to headset?

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

was thinking of getting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826306009 are they worth it

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Couth_

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Wasn't evident to me at first, that's why I'd like to aware some people, because I know a lot of people have nice headphones these days.

Hold down the PS button ->Adjust Devices -> Output to Headphones -> All Audio... There is a master control for volume there as well and most games should have options for adjusting audio and chat volume

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Couth_

@metal_zombie said:

was thinking of getting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826306009 are they worth it

Not sure man. If you are going to use them for Xbox as well it might be worth it. Personally I would opt for some real headphones

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@metal_zombie said:

Not sure man. If you are going to use them for Xbox as well it might be worth it. Personally I would opt for some real headphones

well i was thinking of getting the mix amp and some sennheiser headphone but thought i might be better to get a headset so I can chat more easily just not sure of the quality of the astro headset

megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By megaspiderweb09

@Couth_: Interesting, trying it out with my Pulse Elite as we speak

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Waste my DS4's battery on amping my headphones? Sounds like any audiophile's nightmare. My butt could produce higher quality sound than the DS4 port.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Couth_

@KHAndAnime said:

Waste my DS4's battery on amping my headphones? Sounds like any audiophile's nightmare. My butt could produce higher quality sound than the DS4 port.

Yeah the battery is pretty weak as is. Luckily it uses a standard micro USB.. If the PS4 is too far you can connect it to any outlet or even a PC USB port while playing. The Bluetooth transfer rate provides plenty of bandwith for high quality audio. How about you try it before sticking things up your butt

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Couth_ said:

have all game audio pass through the controller and you have high quality surround sound.

I highly doubt that.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

That's all i've been using since the day ps4 came out. Its damn amazing with my sennheiser hd558's but batteries die in under 5 hours

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Couth_

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Couth_ said:

have all game audio pass through the controller and you have high quality surround sound.

I highly doubt that.

How about you make a youtube video out of it and cut me some of the residuals for awaring you

Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

You guys are seriously just now finding this out?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Hows the quality? Surely it's just stereo or is this a full on feature of the console, can it do 5.1 or 7.1 or do the quality of the speakers themselves do all the work with their built in electronics?

I knew this kind of thing worked but to what extent, battery life being drained due to having to power two extra speakers and transmit and receive more data? The reason I ask is curiosity and laziness(can't be bothered looking it up plus making a thread on it should mean the details are provided). So any info would be much appreciated!

Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

This solves battery life problems http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-A-Male-A-Female-Extension-Meters/dp/B001TH7GUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388280033&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+extension

posted wrong pic and link

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

if only the DS4 would last 30 hours like DS3 does... Sony fucked up on that one...

Yes Im still butthurt about that :/

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KHAndAnime
@Couth_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Yeah the battery is pretty weak as is. Luckily it uses a standard micro USB.. If the PS4 is too far you can connect it to any outlet or even a PC USB port while playing. The Bluetooth transfer rate provides plenty of bandwith for high quality audio. How about you try it before sticking things up your butt

Lol...Bluetooth transfer rate doesn't mean shit. If you don't even know what a DAC is, you shouldn't be talking about audio dingus. If you want shit audio quality, feel free to use your DS4 port. Its DAC, one of the most important factors of audio quality, is probably some $3 chip that does the bare minimum for audio playback quality (because it was made for voice communication). I don't know how you people manage to breath being so ignorant of the technology you use.

This thread is embarrassing. Really. I should go post this on the AVSForums, they'd have a field day with this.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@KHAndAnime: #WeGotABadassOverHereMeme

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Couth_

@KHAndAnime said:
@Couth_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Lol...Bluetooth transfer rate doesn't mean shit. If you don't even know what a DAC is, you shouldn't be talking about audio dingus. If you want shit audio quality, feel free to use your DS4 port. Its DAC, one of the most important factors of audio quality, is probably some $3 chip that does the bare minimum for audio playback quality (because it was made for voice communication). I don't know how you people manage to breath being so ignorant of the technology you use.

This thread is embarrassing. Really. I should go post this on the AVSForums, they'd have a field day with this.

Is this an audiofile forum? Go ahead and post it and have a circle jerk with your audiofriends dingus.. The percentage of you losers that actually have audio equipment to take advantage of lossless audio is irrelevant. You are irrelevant

For the rest of us - Anyone who has $50-$300 headphones laying around could make use of this and it will sound better than 99% of TV sets or USB "gaming headsets" at no extra cost to the gamer. gtfo

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

@KHAndAnime: why are people like this on the internet? Are you like this in real life, a person that s***s on someone's happiness? The guy likes the feature, and based on this small thread he is not alone. If you want to have better audio quality do whatever it is you want.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Couth_ said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Couth_ said:

I highly doubt that.

How about you make a youtube video out of it and cut me some of the residuals for awaring you

Ah the good old youtube angle. Seems people can't respond to me properly anymore without bringing it up.

Didn't you just talk about irrelevance a couple of posts up?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Couth_

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Couth_ said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Couth_ said:

I highly doubt that.

Ah the good old youtube angle. Seems people can't respond to me properly anymore without bringing it up.

There's no angle.. There isn't really a way for me to respond to your post except for saying "Try it".. and while you are at it might as well make a youtube video out of it know what im saying?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Couth_ said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

There's no angle.. There isn't really a way for me to respond to your post except for saying "Try it".. and while you are at it might as well make a youtube video out of it know what im saying?

Now there's a proper way of responding.

I will try it.... as soon as I get a PS4. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 Ohm headphones to try on it and if it can drive those then you'd be onto something

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

It's a shame my headphones are a bit crap, still i'm thinking of picking up a gaming headset anyway, maybe some Turtle Beach PX4's, shame the selection is quite slim for confirmed to be PS4 compatible headsets.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Couth_

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Couth_ said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Now there's a proper way of responding.

I will try it.... as soon as I get a PS4. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 Ohm headphones to try on it and if it can drive those then you'd be onto something

Would be good to know if those worked. I'm more into IEMs myself but I tried it with my girlfriends v-moda crossfades at 32 ohm and the sound was blasting. They were nice because they also have a built in mic for chat.. As far as I know there isn't a way to tune the audio, so something bass heavy out of the box probably works best for most games, unless you could amp the controller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Couth_ said:

Would be good to know if those worked. I'm more into IEMs myself but I tried it with my girlfriends v-moda crossfades at 32 ohm and the sound was blasting. They were nice because they also have a built in mic for chat.. As far as I know there isn't a way to tune the audio, so something bass heavy out of the box probably works best for most games, unless you could amp the controller

It's a nice addition nonetheless and it's good to know you don't need "Sony" headphones or special ones to make it work

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Wasn't evident to me at first, that's why I'd like to aware some people, because I know a lot of people have nice headphones these days.

Hold down the PS button ->Adjust Devices -> Output to Headphones -> All Audio... There is a master control for volume there as well and most games should have options for adjusting audio and chat volume

I'll give it a try the next time I'm playing KZ:SF.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

wow! this is awesome! now I can play at night with decent sound and don't have to worry waking up the wife and baby

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@seanmcloughlin said:

@Couth_ said:

I highly doubt that.

Yeah I find that very hard to believe as well. I imagine it'll sound fine, but no different to those gaming headsets, and like you said later on, if you've got tough to power headphones I imagine it'll be very quiet.

It's certainly a nice feature though since it allows you to bypass the inconvenience of wires or having to sit close to your TV but still get to use headphones, not if they bring back support for USB mics they'll be all set in the sound department.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

yeah but because of all that the battery life is a joke

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@Couth_: a very overlooked feature, i bought a pair of wireless headphones because of late night x360 gaming session but battery is poor on them. this feature is god send

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

yeah...tried it out on my friend joes ps4 and it leaves much to be desired.

1. ds4 battery life is stupidly low, that shitty gimmick sixaxis, touch pad, light...etc should have been axed and a 100 hour life lithium thrown in that thing and it would have only cost the consumer 30 bucks.

2.Its obvious the bandwidth is pushing it with pass through sound, I noticed clear lag and distortion at times.

Its yet again another gimmick Sony shoved into the ds4 good thing every thing else about the ds4 was grand such as ergonomic design *finally* and the other upgrades over the shitty old dual shock design.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Couth_

@WilliamRLBaker said:

yeah...tried it out on my friend joes ps4 and it leaves much to be desired.

1. ds4 battery life is stupidly low, that shitty gimmick sixaxis, touch pad, light...etc should have been axed and a 100 hour life lithium thrown in that thing and it would have only cost the consumer 30 bucks.

2.Its obvious the bandwidth is pushing it with pass through sound, I noticed clear lag and distortion at times.

Its yet again another gimmick Sony shoved into the ds4 good thing every thing else about the ds4 was grand such as ergonomic design *finally* and the other upgrades over the shitty old dual shock design.

There is so much bullshit in this post. A gimmick sony isn't even touting or advertising? lmao. There is no distortion or lag. Bandwith is not pushing it with pass through sound. Even 320kbps mp3 which is indistinguishable from FLAC for most would only take up a fraction of the bandwidth through the DS4's bluetooth connection. There is plenty of bandwidth for even higher quality sound. You don't even have any friends

I've been playing battlefield for hours with this set up. I can hear a pin drop from 20 metres away in the exact direction. The feature is glorious

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#37 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

So? Wii U has this feature...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@bobbetybob said:
@seanmcloughlin said:

@Couth_ said:

I highly doubt that.

Yeah I find that very hard to believe as well. I imagine it'll sound fine, but no different to those gaming headsets, and like you said later on, if you've got tough to power headphones I imagine it'll be very quiet.

It's certainly a nice feature though since it allows you to bypass the inconvenience of wires or having to sit close to your TV but still get to use headphones, not if they bring back support for USB mics they'll be all set in the sound department.

Yeah it's nice say if you're playing on the TV and then people enter the room and either you don't want them to interrupt your gaming or vice versa so it's nice to just plug in headphones where you're sitting and play away

But I imagine it's an audiophiles nightmare to listen to.

megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 megaspiderweb09

Used it with my Sony Pulse Elite headset, everything works fine, good audio and surround sound quality too. Could pick out which direction enemy boots and fire were coming from clearly but that is after i tweaked the settings on my headphone though

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Couth_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@Couth_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Is this an audiofile forum? Go ahead and post it and have a circle jerk with your audiofriends dingus.. The percentage of you losers that actually have audio equipment to take advantage of lossless audio is irrelevant. You are irrelevant

For the rest of us - Anyone who has $50-$300 headphones laying around could make use of this and it will sound better than 99% of TV sets or USB "gaming headsets" at no extra cost to the gamer. gtfo

Plugging your headphones into a nil-amp'd, $5 DAC is the best way of making your headphone sound like garbage. If you want your headphones to sound like utter crap, plug them into your DS4. You don't have to be an audiophile to tell the difference, you simply have to be deaf to not tell the difference. My Grado SR-225i's for example, plugged into the DS4, has ZERO soundstage and ZERO bass compared to having it plugged into my receiver. There is simply is no driving power in the DS4's port.

If you want waste your headphone potential like a dingus, do this. You talk about "high quality" in your OP, but you're not getting high quality sound through that port no matter what headphones you use. There are much better ports than your controller's headphone port. It wasn't made to deliver high quality sound.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Couth_: williamRLBaker said there is lag. End of conversation.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Couth_

@KHAndAnime said:

@Couth_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@Couth_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Plugging your headphones into a nil-amp'd, $5 DAC is the best way of making your headphone sound like garbage. If you want your headphones to sound like utter crap, plug them into your DS4. You don't have to be an audiophile to tell the difference, you simply have to be deaf to not tell the difference. My Grado SR-225i's for example, plugged into the DS4, has ZERO soundstage and ZERO bass compared to having it plugged into my receiver. There is simply is no driving power in the DS4's port.

If you want waste your headphone potential like a dingus, do this. You talk about "high quality" in your OP, but you're not getting high quality sound through that port no matter what headphones you use. There are much better ports than your controller's headphone port. It wasn't made to deliver high quality sound.

Obviously. Obviously. Obviously if you have a receiver this isn't for you. Didn't know you were so slow I had to spell it out for you.. . High quality is relative. This beats TV speakers and it beats gaming headsets. i'm not saying it beats a home theatre set up you dingus. That goes without saying. Where did I say this beats a receiver? I said only that it beats headsets. gtfo and have a wank over your sound system. Very few people have headphones that need to be driven by an amp. And if you do, all your devices need to be driven by an amp. Conversely most people buy IEMs and cans that don't need an amp and this is class for them. You don't need an amp for high quality sound.. Audio elitists are the worst smh

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KHAndAnime

@Couth_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Couth_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@Couth_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Obviously. Obviously. Obviously if you have a receiver this isn't for you. Didn't know you were so slow I had to spell it out for you.. . High quality is relative. This beats TV speakers and it beats gaming headsets. i'm not saying it beats a home theatre set up you dingus. That goes without saying. Where did I say this beats a receiver? I said only that it beats headsets. gtfo and have a wank over your sound system

You don't need a receiver - a TV's audio-out port would also be a much better option than the DS4 controller. Most wireless gaming headsets would even sound better than any headphones plugged into the DS4.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22673 Posts

@metal_zombie said:

Those are nice, but these puppies here are the best I've seen... Eff me headphones if I ever seen it.

http://www.newegg.com/bibfotuna8000/356dh

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I have some awesome Cooler Master headphones for PC and was wondering if they would work? They have 5 speakers per side so I'm not sure if that's too much.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

so the DS4 has 3.5mm port, is that right?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

i love this feature for wiiu, and with most tvs excluding a headphone jack, its a great feature if youve got no amp.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yeah it's a pretty awesome feature, especially if you have roommates.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Another great feature indeed. By gamers for gamers in motion guys.