Atlus auction

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

Quick Reminder that Atlus's Auction is coming soon.

What do you think will happen?

Which series do you want bought by what company?

Nintendo is clearly getting SMT, how butthurt will you be if Nintendo just outright buys Atlus and everything it owns?

#2 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
I wouldn't mind if Nintendo got it. In another world Valve buying them would be cool cause then we could get the others ones on PC. :P
#3 Posted by Trail_Mix (2579 posts) -

Stay third party please. 

#4 Posted by lostrib (42007 posts) -

who cares

#5 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

When is it actually? Actual day, maybe time of day? 

I think it'll be a large, primarily Japanese publisher, or first party (Sony or Nintendo)

#6 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

I don't want any console maker to own them (or any company with clear bias for/against systems), nor do I want any company who doesn't have the best track record of localization.

I'd like their properties to go to someone like Square Enix. A company which is known to release titles in all territories, and has a good record of supporting every platform.

#7 Posted by darkspineslayer (20347 posts) -

who cares

lostrib
Apparently you care enough to post. On topic, Please stay third party, or go to Sony. Nintendo as a last resort.
#8 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5772 posts) -

Atlus is irrelevant.

#9 Posted by darkspineslayer (20347 posts) -

I'd like their properties to go to someone like Square Enix..

Ly_the_Fairy
Mother of god, no. At least not if they would stick their slimy, Final Fantasy stained fingers into Persona.
#10 Posted by finalstar2007 (25859 posts) -

SONY SONY SONY SONY!

please do it

#11 Posted by darkspineslayer (20347 posts) -

Atlus is irrelevant.

NathanDrakeSwag
lolswaggypost.
#12 Posted by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

hopefully they go ouya exclusive

#13 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

So... No one actually knows when the auction itself actually is?

#14 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -
The question really will come down to who has the most free money. Watch it go to Activision. lol
#15 Posted by CJ_ofCamelot (2072 posts) -
The industry is too dumb to deal with it.
#16 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -
The question really will come down to who has the most free money. Watch it go to Activision. lolHarlockJC
Given their recent transaction, gonna say no way.
#17 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

who cares

darkspineslayer
Apparently you care enough to post. On topic, Please stay third party, or go to Sony. Nintendo as a last resort.

sony would mean vita and PS4, which in turn would mean no atlus for me. so no.
#18 Posted by Heil68 (46738 posts) -
I hope it doesnt hurt their franchises.
#19 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

who cares

BrunoBRS

sony would mean vita and PS4, which in turn would mean no atlus for me. so no.

Any platform exclusivity is a losing situation for gamers.

#20 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26222 posts) -

Production IG will buy out Atlus.

Atlus stays 3rd Party.

#21 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

So... No one actually knows when the auction itself actually is?

lx_theo
No one?
#22 Posted by Bigboi500 (30972 posts) -

Nintendo or Namco please.

#23 Posted by foxhound_fox (90562 posts) -

Stay third party please. 

Trail_Mix
Hard to do unless all the IP gets tossed around to multiple different developers. Only a first party really has the cash to buy up the whole package.
#24 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

I would love for Sony to get Persona, but as long as Nintendo doesnt get them i'll be happy.

#25 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

Just googled it. Found it from some random website to be July 28th. 

I kinda hope Nintendo buys them, but at the same time I feel it would be really really bad for the industy as a whole Atlas is one of the few companies willing to take risks nowadays. Nintendo is almost the opposite, right now :|

#26 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Just googled it. Found it from some random website to be July 28th. AmayaPapaya

Good to know, despite its risk in accuracy. Thank you.

#27 Posted by laus_basic (8287 posts) -

Obviously, Nimtendo would benefit the most from acquiring Atlus with all the difficulties with 3rd parties.

#28 Posted by meetroid8 (21140 posts) -
It'll be some big umbrella corporation, just like their last owners.
#29 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Obviously, Nimtendo would benefit the most from acquiring Atlus with all the difficulties with 3rd parties.

laus_basic
I disagree. Atlus's franchises and such are most popular in Japan and are primarily found on handhelds. Given Nintendo's success with both sales and third parties on the 3DS in Japan, it would not be a significant benefit. Sony, on the other hand, would see much benefit to the Vita from the purchase...
#30 Posted by Mario1331 (8844 posts) -

wait atlus is truly being auctioned?

#31 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

wait atlus is truly being auctioned?

Mario1331
Yep, their parent company, Index, went down hard and devastatingly. Atlus itself does quite well, but not nearly enough to make up for the rest of the Index's failures.
#32 Posted by AM-Gamer (5122 posts) -

who cares

lostrib

There one of the few companies in Japan still making good games.

#33 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

laus_basic

Atlus would be great for handhelds, It's not what the Wii U needs.

#34 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
It'll be some big umbrella corporation, just like their last owners. meetroid8
that's what i'd hope for. someone that'll be too busy with persona merchandise and other branches to poke around with game development.
#35 Posted by Mario1331 (8844 posts) -

i could see an umbrella corp buying it but lets see who takes in for it

#36 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="laus_basic"]

crimsonman1245

Atlus would be great for handhelds, It's not what the Wii U needs.

atlus' biggest franchise is a console one (that, granted, gets handheld versions years later). in the hypothetical scenario that nintendo grabs atlus, they'd pretty much be the go-to JRPG system, having only square enix and namco (both of which can still release their games on nintendo systems) as big third party JRPG devs. it's a niche, but one with enough power to move units.
#37 Posted by Trail_Mix (2579 posts) -

[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"]

Stay third party please. 

foxhound_fox

Hard to do unless all the IP gets tossed around to multiple different developers. Only a first party really has the cash to buy up the whole package.

Agh, don't say that, or I'm gonna start crying.

#38 Posted by darkspineslayer (20347 posts) -
I really want to see Persona 5...I just want this to end well for Atlus...
#39 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -
[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"]

Stay third party please. 

foxhound_fox

There a few third parties with that kind of cash. Capcom amd Ubisoft could put out that kind of money.
#40 Posted by finalstar2007 (25859 posts) -

Sony buying them would be perfect because with Persona franchise in the bag they can help sell more Vita's in Japan with more Atlus games and persona games PLUS few persona games on the PS4 will set it up for a great start in Japan.

the way i see it Sony will be the most company benefiting from buying Atlus parent company so do it Sony!

for the past 4 years Sony was able to buy 3 or 4 developers/companies so might as well make it 5 lol

#41 Posted by RedCore119 (286 posts) -

Atlus is irrelevant.

NathanDrakeSwag

#42 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

Sony buying them would be perfect because with Persona franchise in the bag they can help sell more Vita's in Japan with more Atlus games and persona games PLUS few persona games on the PS4 will set it up for a great start in Japan.

the way i see it Sony will be the most company benefiting from buying Atlus parent company so do it Sony!

for the past 4 years Sony was able to buy 3 or 4 developers/companies so might as well make it 5 lol

finalstar2007
The problem is you want to buy a company who can make you profit. Betting that Atlus can turn around the Vita is a sure way to lose a bet. The second issue is the company makes most of their money from Nintendo consoles. Sony buying the company would hurt Sony in the long run from no longer being able to tap into one of the markets that has made Atlus the success it is,
#43 Posted by jsmoke03 (13125 posts) -

Stay third party please. 

Trail_Mix
this
#44 Posted by jsmoke03 (13125 posts) -
[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

HarlockJC
The problem is you want to buy a company who can make you profit. Betting that Atlus can turn around the Vita is a sure way to lose a bet. The second issue is the company makes most of their money from Nintendo consoles. Sony buying the company would hurt Sony in the long run from no longer being able to tap into one of the markets that has made Atlus the success it is,

platforms are easy to replace. people will buy platforms if the games they want are on that platform. look what happened this gen. plenty of people bought games that were originally successful on sony platform. final fantasy didnt skip a beat when they transfered from ninty to sony.....platform attachments arent that big a deal. its also a plus is that sony is a japanese company for those japanese gamers who dont seem to buy ms consoles
#45 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -
[QUOTE="jsmoke03"] platforms are easy to replace. people will buy platforms if the games they want are on that platform. look what happened this gen. plenty of people bought games that were originally successful on sony platform. final fantasy didnt skip a beat when they transfered from ninty to sony.....platform attachments arent that big a deal. its also a plus is that sony is a japanese company for those japanese gamers who dont seem to buy ms consoles

If Atlus was a larger company then I could agree with you. As it stands Atlus is too unknow to make any real difference to the sales of the Vita outside of Japan.
#46 Posted by foxhound_fox (90562 posts) -
Nintendo is almost the opposite, right now :|

AmayaPapaya
The Wii wasn't a risk. No, not at all...
#47 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
They are not selling off their properties piecemeal. Atlus' games will continue to be Atlus'.
#48 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="jsmoke03"] platforms are easy to replace. people will buy platforms if the games they want are on that platform. look what happened this gen. plenty of people bought games that were originally successful on sony platform. final fantasy didnt skip a beat when they transfered from ninty to sony.....platform attachments arent that big a deal. its also a plus is that sony is a japanese company for those japanese gamers who dont seem to buy ms consoles

If Atlus was a larger company then I could agree with you. As it stands Atlus is too unknow to make any real difference to the sales of the Vita outside of Japan.

Japan is the important market for handhelds, though. They are very, very popular there. Likely moreso than console nowadays.
#49 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27894 posts) -

Stay third party please. 

Trail_Mix
Please!
#50 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]Nintendo is almost the opposite, right now :|

foxhound_fox

The Wii wasn't a risk. No, not at all...

6 years ago...I'm talking within the last 2 years. Look at E3. Would you call ANY of those titles risky? Project X, yeah, I bet that is pretty risky. Nintendo must have put a lot of money into it and it's a JRPG going to the west. Everything else wasn't just safe, but EXTREMELY safe though. Nintendo has just been too safe as of late.