At WiiU's point during Wii's lifespan, Wii was already at...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5160 posts) -

20.14 million.

By this same point in its lifespan as the Wii U.

What are the latest figures for Wii U? 4.3 million? (correct me if wrong)

Damn.

#2 Edited by wiifan001 (18393 posts) -

the Wii is so much better than the Wii U could ever hope to achieve.

The sales do match here

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29982 posts) -

Because Wii had some novelty around it.

Tablets are already popular + marketing +name

#4 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5160 posts) -

+ last gen hardware/graphics + next gen prices for said hardware/graphics + lack of third party support + lack of first party support

#5 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9959 posts) -

The Wii phenomenon was something no one ever expected ... Unfortunately for Nintendo they couldn't strike gold yet again.

#6 Posted by BattlefieldFan3 (341 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

+ last gen hardware/graphics + next gen prices for said hardware/graphics + lack of third party support + lack of first party support

Hardware/graphics have no bearing on how popular a console is. Just because Wii U is barely more powerful than the PS3 doesn't mean that's the reason why the Wii U is failing. If power were a deciding factor in how successful a console is, how did the Xbone sell 3 million units already? The PS4 is the only next-gen console power-wise. Xbone and Wii U are more like last-gen consoles with their 720p graphics, linear static worlds and non-locked sub-30 FPS.

#7 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25644 posts) -

As far as I know it's the biggest drop off in gaming history. Wii U setting records.

#8 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5160 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

@MonsieurX said:

The PS4 is the only next-gen console power-wise.

PS4 has a 3 year old laptop GPU.

#9 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9553 posts) -

In fairness, the Wii is one of the highest selling consoles of all time, and one of only five to reach one hundred million units sold.

Wii-U still needs to sell much more though.

#10 Edited by BattlefieldFan3 (341 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@StrongDeadlift said:

@MonsieurX said:

No one cares about fat hermit turds and their disgusting rigs that smell like old clothes.

I have an AMD 7770 and an Intel i5, both of which are considered trash by PC gamers, but I have yet to run into anyone in LOL that loaded the game faster than my PC. Barely anyone has a GPU that's better than what's inside the PS4 despite what PC elitists claim.

#11 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

No one cares about fat hermit turds and their disgusting rigs that smell like old clothes.

I have an AMD 7770 and an Intel i5, both of which are considered trash by PC gamers, but I have yet to run into anyone in LOL that loaded the game faster than my PC. Barely anyone has a GPU that's better than what's inside the PS4 despite what PC elitists claim.

Man that comment really pissed you off eh? As for LOL, that game can run even on a toaster so no idea why you bring that up.

#12 Posted by trugs26 (5391 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@StrongDeadlift said:

@MonsieurX said:

Hey, you're the one who tried to bring up next gen.

#13 Posted by BPoole96 (22788 posts) -

Wii dUmed

#14 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2571 posts) -

@W1NGMAN- said:

The Wii phenomenon was something no one ever expected ... Unfortunately for Nintendo they couldn't strike gold yet again.

#15 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

When do December's numbers come in?

#16 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2780 posts) -

The wii had a couple things going for it

1. price it was much cheaper than other next gen consoles

2. Motion yeah I hate it but the casuals loved it

3. HDTV was not a mass market item yet

Still nobody could have known the wii would break 100 million units.

#17 Edited by AzatiS (7514 posts) -

@W1NGMAN- said:

How to strike gold again when

a) Casuals already got used to motion controls , means they are not THAT excited by the idea of playing with them just on a different machine.

b) Competition offers way better hardware ( like last gen ) with very competitive price which is affordable for majority of small markets this gen compared to last ( EU/ASIA ) .. PS4 for example.

c) Once again they lost almost all major third party multi games to competition. Something that led Wii to its prematurely death and let 100M fans scratching their heads like " WTF is goin on , where are my games " ... Wiis became dust collectors for almost 2 years before they eventually officialy die. Nintendo thought they could get away with that? Nah !!!

#18 Posted by Desmonic (13745 posts) -

When do December's numbers come in?

For NPD, it should be around the 15th of this month. For the global Ninty numbers that'll be whenever they do their sales reports (which I think shouldn't be too far off for any of the 3).

#19 Edited by Speak_Low (1009 posts) -

Anytime we see Wii sales they need to put an asterix** next to it

** = we got lucky as hell with a fad that couldn't last nor save us today

#20 Edited by mrfokken (625 posts) -

@speak_low: Yet Nintendo's stock is higher than ever and the company is worth more than Sony. How many consoles will Nintendo sell in China? My guess is more than Sony can sell to America.

#21 Edited by clr84651 (5405 posts) -

It's as simple as this....Wii was a fad & the Wii U isn't.

#22 Edited by Chutebox (36989 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

This is literally the exact same thing Wii launched with.

#23 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5160 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@StrongDeadlift said:

@MonsieurX said:

This is literally the exact same thing Wii launched with.

People weren't stupid twice I guess.

#24 Posted by Nuck81 (5846 posts) -

The Wii's success can solely be attributed to the brilliance of Wii Sports pack in.

Without Wii Sports coming attached to the system, the Wii would have been a failure.

Sure the motion controls were a novelty and all, but without the millions of families playing Wii Sports with each other on Christmas, inspiring other family members to go out and get a Wii, no one would have ever given it a chance.

I'm always flabbergasted by how little credit Wii Sports actually gets.

#25 Posted by Ghost120x (3800 posts) -

The Wii's massive success is probably why Nintendo kept the Wii name in their next console. I guess they were hoping for some kind of snow ball effect but all they did was confuse people.

#26 Posted by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

And the N64 didn't come close to matching the SNES's sales either.

What point are you trying to make? The N64 got some of the best and most revolutionary games in the history of gaming.

#27 Edited by Speak_Low (1009 posts) -

@mrfokken said:

@speak_low: Yet Nintendo's stock is higher than ever and the company is worth more than Sony. How many consoles will Nintendo sell in China? My guess is more than Sony can sell to America.

Your facts are wrong.

Their market value has dropped a painful 75% from 2008-2009, and they are posting the worst Operational Losses ever - all because of their current failures, and even their best source of revenue (3DS) is only sub-par compared to GBA and the 3DS has yet to hit a Nintendo projection just like the Wii U.

That is probably where you got your figure that Nintendo is "worth more than Sony." They are worth nearly the same in market value currently, but not in in size or output.

Sony was at the recent CES this past week and won awards for their new smart phone, and also had Smart Watches, VR headgear, new Bravia 4K Tvs that took breaths away, and the new $30,000 Life UX projector that Sony wants to see in future homes.

Not to mention the World Cup has chosen Sony's high-quality 4K cameras as the official camera for the World Cup.

I can also take a family or friends to see many movies distributed and produced by Sony Pictures/Columbia - they even have an actual summer movie (Amazing Spider-Man 2).

Now look at the output of Nintendo, if we're comparing. No CES appearance (they never show up because they have nothing to show), no Nintendo smartphone, Nintendo laptops, tablets, smartwatches, projectors, TVs, Blu-Ray players, 4K cameras (or any camera), Nintendo TV line...

No Nintendo movie coming out this summer or any year.

All Nintendo has to do is focus on games and they are not doing a good job of it. Sony has money problems but they have way more headquarters, products and areas to sweat over.

Nintendo takes less risks and still end up selling worse than 360/PS3/X1/PS4 because they don't know what they're doing.

Gaming is their expertise and they are bad at it. Ever since Sony and MS joined the video game business, it became an uphill battle for Nintendo and they keep shrinking in relevance every few years.