Assassin's Creed IV Wins PS4 GotY

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, the latest (and greatest) Assassin's Creed game, has stepped closer to winning Game of the Year on Gamespot by winning the PS4 Game of the Year award. Will it win on Xbox One too?

Fun fact- Assassin's Creed IV currently has more awards on Gamespot than GTA 5.

Oh, and if someone is keeping track:

The Last of Us beat GTA5 in the PS3 awards, knocking GTA5 out of overall GotY consideration (since in a head to competition, Gamespot made it clear TLOU would win).

Assassin's Creed IV, on first glance, appears to be in a better position than GTA5, but remember, the game was available on every console, and it was not even nominated on Wii U (where Super Mario 3D World won), meaning that in a head to head there, Super Mario 3D World would win.

So far, it appears that the frontrunners for the awards on Gamespot are The Last of Us and Super Mario 3D World. Lemmings be cried.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

It's both laughable, and well-deserved. Such a great game, and from what i've seen, looks awesome on the PS4.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Expected, looking forward to playing this game later next year.

as for the GOTY here's hoping TLOU wins

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Forza 5 should win on xbone.

The biggest exclusives should almost always be over multiplats.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

It's amazing. I'm a gnats wing away from getting all the trophies, bar the multiplayer ones. Looks great. I know it's a souped up last gen port, but they've really gone all out in some places. I do have criticism, such as the annoying bugs and the free running being still inconsistent and at times costing you but as an overall game it's fantastic. My favourite of last year and I'm so glad I waited for the PS4 version, because the library so far is fairly low and it does look so so good with no slow down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lundy86_4 said:

It's both laughable, and well-deserved. Such a great game, and from what i've seen, looks awesome on the PS4.

It's not laughable at all. It's an incredible, incredible game and a glorious return to form for the series. Plus the PS4 version appears to do full justice to the vision of the game.

Hope you enjoy it when you do get to play it!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@DocSanchez said:

It's amazing. I'm a gnats wing away from getting all the trophies, bar the multiplayer ones. Looks great. I know it's a souped up last gen port, but they've really gone all out in some places. I do have criticism, such as the annoying bugs and the free running being still inconsistent and at times costing you but as an overall game it's fantastic. My favourite of last year and I'm so glad I waited for the PS4 version, because the library so far is fairly low and it does look so so good with no slow down.

It really is amazing. When I look at Assassin's Creed III and how shitty that was, and compare it to just how great Black Flag is, I'm stunned at the staggering difference in quality in the period of just one year.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

AC4 nearly redeemed what was the worst AC title. (3) So yeah, not bad.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lundy86_4

@charizard1605 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

It's not laughable at all. It's an incredible, incredible game and a glorious return to form for the series. Plus the PS4 version appears to do full justice to the vision of the game.

I merely meant in the sense that one of the exclusives couldn't win... Still, from what i've seen in comparison to the PS4 exclusives, ACIV just has content that blows them out of the water.

I've been playing it for nigh on 30 hours... It's ridiculous.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 casharmy

@lundy86_4 said:

why is it laughable? PS4 just launched, in comparison xbox360 received multiplatform GOTY winners for the majority of the generation even after being well established. Again why is it laughable?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lundy86_4 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

I merely meant in the sense that one of the exclusives couldn't win... Still, from what i've seen in comparison to the PS4 exclusives, ACIV just has content that blows them out of the water.

I've been playing it for nigh on 30 hours... It's ridiculous.

Oh, you've already been playing :P

Yeah, it really is an amazing game. Why can't Ubisoft just keep this level of quality up?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lundy86_4

@casharmy said:

why is it laughable? PS4 just launched, in comparison xbox360 received multiplatform GOTY winners for the majority of the generation even after being well established. Again why is it laughable?

Explained above ^^

It's laughable that a couple of decent PS4 exclusives couldn't win, and AC won out... Still, it's hardly surprising considering how great it looks on PS4, and the sheer depth of content.

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, it really is an amazing game. Why can't Ubisoft just keep this level of quality up?

On the 360... I was waiting for the PS4 version, but I really wanted to try it.

Seriously, they really nailed this one. ACIII was decent, but nowhere near as good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lundy86_4 The 360 version was what I played too :P

I actually hesitate to even call Assassin's Creed III 'decent.' It was mediocre in every sense of the word.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@charizard1605: I can't figure out why AC3 was so bad. It's the only one I haven't got around to not finishing (at least since the first one) but it has all the right elements. I thought it may have been burnout but as soon as AC4 came out I was once again hooked. And I still can't be bothered to go back and finish AC3. I have no idea why though.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Not surprising

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4

@charizard1605 said:

I actually hesitate to even call Assassin's Creed III 'decent.' It was mediocre in every sense of the word.

It's still decent looking on the 360... I was kinda surprised. Makes me want to play again with the notable 1080p upgrade (plus other features).

lol, well you went there. I didn't even enjoy the story, to be honest.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

It's definitely the best game on the PS4 at the moment. I have to give my GOTY to The Last of Us though, AC4 would be my second pick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@DocSanchez said:

@charizard1605: I can't figure out why AC3 was so bad. It's the only one I haven't got around to not finishing (at least since the first one) but it has all the right elements. I thought it may have been burnout but as soon as AC4 came out I was once again hooked. And I still can't be bothered to go back and finish AC3. I have no idea why though.

The problem was that it had too many elements, but none of them really went together at all. For example, the Homestead missions did not tie in with the pirate missions did not tie in with the Almanac page collection did not tie in with the hunting did not tie in with the overall main story. I mean, it was all there, and some of it was even done well (such as the pirate missions), but it was all completely separate and disparate. It was like different games thrown in together into one package with no semblance of overall cohesion or direction (which is actually exactly what happened- different portions of the game were developed by different studios around the world, and so there is no overall theme that ties everything in together).

This was, in contrast, the complete opposite of how a game like Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood, or Black Flag handles its side activities, where they take the sandbox and make sure everything counts towards something, unlike in Assassin's Creed III, where it was all just... there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lundy86_4 said:

@charizard1605 said:

It's still decent looking on the 360... I was kinda surprised. Makes me want to play again with the notable 1080p upgrade (plus other features).

lol, well you went there. I didn't even enjoy the story, to be honest.

I'll probably buy it on my Wii U and play through it a second time there.

I liked Connor's story a lot, they did a good job there. Desmond's story was the definition of poorly thought out, though.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lundy86_4

@charizard1605 said:

I liked Connor's story a lot, they did a good job there. Desmond's story was the definition of poorly thought out, though.

Desmond's was atrocious. It was kinda shocking.

The WiiU version looks prety sweet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lundy86_4 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Desmond's was atrocious. It was kinda shocking.

The WiiU version looks prety sweet.

They did do a great job with the Abstergo story in this one though. I laughed a few times :P

Yeah, although I've heard there are framerate issues. Still, off screen play with AC4 sounds too sweet to pass up.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Since Assassins Creed has no risk or reward with no reason to level up, no reason to use stealth and no reason to do anything in combat other than counter i generally don't consider the series a video game. More just a big thing, that sells. Even though it's the same thing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lundy86_4

@charizard1605 said:

They did do a great job with the Abstergo story in this one though. I laughed a few times :P

Yeah, although I've heard there are framerate issues. Still, off screen play with AC4 sounds too sweet to pass up.

Still need to finish her up, but the Abstergo story seems pretty cool so far.

Yeah, off screen would be kinda neat with the Wii U... Can't even imagine using my Vita for Remote Play on the PS4 version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Since Assassins Creed has no risk or reward with no reason to level up, no reason to use stealth and no reason to do anything in combat other than counter i generally don't consider the series a video game. More just a big thing, that sells. Even though it's the same thing.

.... since when did any video game need the above things?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

.... since when did any video game need the above things?

My friend, if you wish to claim it a video game, then I will begrudgingly concede, However, dearest duckling, it's shit as ****.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By casharmy

@lundy86_4 said:

@casharmy said:

Explained above ^^

It's laughable that a couple of decent PS4 exclusives couldn't win, and AC won out... Still, it's hardly surprising considering how great it looks on PS4, and the sheer depth of content.

@charizard1605 said:

On the 360... I was waiting for the PS4 version, but I really wanted to try it.

Seriously, they really nailed this one. ACIII was decent, but nowhere near as good.

what you said was just petty, PS4 didn't even have an AAA contender so what you said makes no sense at all.

"a few decent games couldn't even be a AAA game" wtf dude. That was jjust a dumb comment, no way around that. It will be interesting to see how you view "other platforms" when those GOTY awards get announced.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

It's by far the best game available for Ps4.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

Dem yearly releases!

If they allowed their franchises to breath, they'd produce far greater titles everytime. They have the funds and quality, they just don't give them enough time unfortunately (though their track record for this past gen is still one of the best overall).

I don't know, every game gets a development cycle of 2-3 years. Assassin's Creed III actually got the most extensive and longest development cycle of all games, and it was complete shit. Contrast this with Brotherhood, which actually did only get one year, and it is often called the best game in the series.

I think it's more a question of them not quite knowing what direction they want to take the series in.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By lundy86_4

@casharmy said:

what you said was just petty, PS4 didn't even have an AAA contender so what you said makes no sense at all.

"a few decent games couldn't even be a AAA game" wtf dude. That was jjust a dumb comment, no way around that. It will be interesting to see how you view "other platforms" when those GOTY awards get announced.

I'm shocked that you want to start something with me... So shocked. I'm going to ask you to just stop quoting me, as it's boring.

Just one thing, where did I specifically say this: "a few decent games couldn't even be a AAA game." That exact quote. I can't imagine my English being so bad.

Still, scores don't determine GOTY, either by platform, or overall. This has been known for quite a while.

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised by AC4, cant wait to see what a true next gen AC game looks like tho

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 uninspiredcup

@GamingVengeance said:

I was pleasantly surprised by AC4, cant wait to see what a true next gen AC game looks like tho

Probably a lot of like Assassins Creed III.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, that's really sad, that barely average game won GOTY?

Wow

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@GamingVengeance said:

Probably a lot of like Assassins Creed III.

huh?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Jaysonguy said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, that's really sad, that barely average game won GOTY?

Wow

'Barely average.'

Lol Jaysonguy, your taste and your posts, both remain shitty as ever.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 casharmy

@lundy86_4 said:

@casharmy said:

I'm shocked that you want to start something with me... So shocked. I'm going to ask you to just stop quoting me, as it's boring.

Just one thing, where did I specifically say this:

"a few decent games couldn't even be a AAA game." Still, scores don't determine GOTY, either by platform, or overall. This has been known for quite a while.

this, " a couple of decent PS4 exclusives couldn't win, and AC won out" dumb comment = what I just said.

It's not like you don't know the critical reception of the games here on GS. Also Scores don't determine GOTY but the calibur of games in the running do. An A rated game is not going to win over an AA rated game unless the A rated games was mis reviewed (underrated) and actually better than what it was rated based on a collective opinion of the majority of staff here.

Generally AAA rated games will be pitted against other AAA rated games because...duh, AAA games are considered the best games. Hope that clears things up for you. And yes it is boring seeing you taking post shots at a console that just launched but you have never had that same criticizm for other platforms that have been on the market a long time and had the same situation.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lundy86_4

@casharmy said:

this, " a couple of decent PS4 exclusives couldn't win, and AC won out" dumb comment = what I just said.

It's not like you don't know the critical reception of the games here on GS. Also Scores don't determine GOTY but the calibur of games in the running do. An A rated game is not going to win over an AA rated game unless the A rated games was mis reviewed (underrated) and actually better than what it was rated based on a collective opinion of the majority of staff here.

Generally AAA rated games will be pitted against other AAA rated games because...duh, AAA games are considered the best games. Hope that clears things up for you. And yes it is boring seeing you taking post shots at a console that just launched but you have never had that same criticizm for other platforms that have been on the market a long time and had the same situation.

It absolutely does not. Your paraphrasing utilized poor English.

Now, your vernacular with regards to the paraphrasing, essentially outlines that those games lost to a AAA game, which also brings into the conversation the scores of those exclusives. That isn't what I said. Yes, the caliber of the games definitely counts, as it impacts the review team, who essentially choose the GOTY by system, and overall. Your final sentence in your middle paragraph is purely speculation.

Generally, yes. Not absolutely. You said it in your own words. Nothing needed clearing up, other than the fact that this crush you have on me, will go nowhere. I'm quite happy dating those of the female gender.

------

Now, like I asked, don't bother quoting me. If you do quote me, I will not be responding, no matter what is said. Later.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Is AssCreed IV really thatgood? I keep hearing praise everywhere I go but I dunno. Played about two hours of it and I'll admit it's definitely a big step up from the disappointing turd that was GlitchCreed III but overall the missions left me thinking, "Meh, been there done that." Does it get better?

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#40 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

That rehash?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lundy86_4

@DrRockso87 said:

Is AssCreed IV really thatgood? I keep hearing praise everywhere I go but I dunno. Played about two hours of it and I'll admit it's definitely a big step up from the disappointing turd that was GlitchCreed III but overall the missions left me thinking, "Meh, been there done that." Does it get better?

The beginning is pretty slow. Once you get the Jackdaw, and actually start upgrading, it becomes a lot of fun. The story is actually pretty damn interesting, which is always nice. Kenway makes a nice departure from the whole "I must follow the Creed" numbness. Connor had something similar, but I just like Kenway more.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

That game I played on my PS3? Cool, I like that game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@DrRockso87 said:

It is. The beginning is a bit slow, but once it gets going, it really gets going. I advise you to stick with it.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#44 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Not like there's much to choose from.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts
@lundy86_4 said:

It absolutely does not. Your paraphrasing utilized poor English.

Now, your vernacular with regards to the paraphrasing, essentially outlines that those games lost to a AAA game, which also brings into the conversation the scores of those exclusives. That isn't what I said. Yes, the caliber of the games definitely counts, as it impacts the review team, who essentially choose the GOTY by system, and overall. Your final sentence in your middle paragraph is purely speculation.

Generally, yes. Not absolutely. You said it in your own words. Nothing needed clearing up, other than the fact that this crush you have on me, will go nowhere. I'm quite happy dating those of the female gender.

------

Now, like I asked, don't bother quoting me. If you do quote me, I will not be responding, no matter what is said. Later.

This kid really is defensive over his plastic toy. Its kind of sad really.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lundy86_4

@ActicEdge said:

This kid really is defensive over his plastic toy. Its kind of sad really.

This is twice in 3 days. I didn't even say anything offensive to the PS4 (lol).

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I still have to open my copy of black flag. Too busy with bf4 online.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

It seems this game has been doing well from opinion. I may consider picking it up despite my skeptism

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#49  Edited By chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

So does the 8.0 mean McShea was reviewing it wrong. TLOU for GOTY.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I havent played TLOU yet so my personal GOTY so far is GTA V but... I would laugh my a** off if TLOU ends up getting GOTY

I can already hear the DC from lems with their "bu bu bu 8.0 score" cries :'D

Somethin tells me GS will gove GOTY to SM3D world though. They've a soft spot for everything Mario