Assassin's Creed IV Review: Ubisoft gets another AAA

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11920 posts) -

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700051

A triumph and a highlight of the year indeed.

Positive aspects of the game:

-Wonderful world / map

-A lot of things to do

-Stealth works very well, you can chose how to approach your taget, etc..

-Cities are better than AC3 (for free running)

-This is A TRUE AC GAME, and the most accomplished of the franchise.

-Combats are slower than AC3...

-...There are less weapons, less new types of ennemies...

-... But naval battles are amazing !

-You'll play as Edward like 10 minutes after launching the game on your console

-Naval is amazing

-Economic system of AC4 is easier to understand and really well made (you board ships, and sell ressources)

-You'll need to upgrade your ship to succes on seas. To upgrade your ship you'll need ressources. You can get them by boarding ships.

-Taking forts have an impact on Edward's progression. It will reveal the location of special places such as caves.

-In all main or secondary missions you can play stealthy if you chose to.

-The involvement of Edward in the Templar-Assassin conflict is a bit predictable but still well done

TO CONCLUDE: AC4 is the most successful game of the franchise. Better mechanics of gameplay, better level design, the game is a real success.

You'll need about 20 hours to complete the main path and 50 hours to complete everything.

#2 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

AC4 looks like a solid game. It just doesn't look Next-Gen.

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

The main problem the series has is that the combat is basically god mode. Counter + hit = insta kill.

Rip off the Batman series or something. Add a difficulty option. Seriously, fix it.

#4 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

I didnt click on the link to look at sources, but if this is from someone or something legit, then I am all of a sudden VERY intrigued... I don't want another AC game that plays like AC3, but I'd LOVE another that played like AC2.

#5 Edited by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

I didnt click on the link to look at sources, but if this is from someone or something legit, then I am all of a sudden VERY intrigued... I don't want another AC game that plays like AC3, but I'd LOVE another that played like AC2.

AC3 is a vastly better game than 2.

Both have the exact same problems though. It's nigh on impossible to die.

#6 Posted by aroxx_ab (10093 posts) -

Nice, cant wait !!! But hmm why the **** is WiiU version delayed one month?!?!

#7 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

Sounds interesting. I'm all for adding these metagame elements to the series (resource management, buildings, assassins, etc.). That said, I've been saturated with AC since Brotherhood. Didn't even finish AC III :/

#8 Edited by Telekill (4711 posts) -

Glad I have it preordered with my PS4.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (58254 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

It is from a legit source, a French magazine that got to review it first.

@uninspiredcup said:

@TheEroica said:

Not in the slightest. III was a buggy, sprawling, unfocused mess. II was among the best games of the generation.

That said, AC4: Black Flag suddenly looks pretty darn interesting to me.

#10 Posted by skipper847 (3354 posts) -

"You'll play as Edward like 10 minutes after launching the game on your console"

You play someone different on pc then?.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (58254 posts) -

@skipper847 said:

"You'll play as Edward like 10 minutes after launching the game on your console"

Funny, but just in case you were being serious, I think the review is trying to allay concerns about AC3's infamously slow start.

#12 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3616 posts) -

Knew the game would be awesome.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@TheEroica said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@TheEroica said:

Not in the slightest. III was a buggy, sprawling, unfocused mess. II was among the best games of the generation.

III is a superior game. Better world. Better story. Better characters. Larger in scope. Better graphics e.t.c...

Again though, it's a casualized game. Ubisoft are desperately afraid to give players nay challenge or ability to think for themselves.

All the unlocks in ACII and your base building mean absolute jack shit, because the game has no risk/reward. You can literally stand idle for 40 seconds against enemy's until you die.

Games like Saints Row 3.4 are superior sandbox games because they give the option for harder difficulty, unlocks are both useful and matter as a whole.

Everything in AC is simply frivolous in comparison.

#14 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11920 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@skipper847 said:

Funny, but just in case you were being serious, I think the review is trying to allay concerns about AC3's infamously slow start.

Which wasn't that bad, it definitely helped set-up the story.

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (58254 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer said:

@charizard1605 said:

@skipper847 said:

As far as I am concerned, the Haytham portions were better than the Connor portions, but what do I know

#16 Edited by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

Really hope all of that is true... as I have it on pre-order.

I'm sold on setting alone... if it can evade the usual Ubisoft open-world game design flaws, I'll be very happy.

#17 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer said:

@charizard1605 said:

@skipper847 said:

The start of ACIII is easily the best part of the entire series. It does in 3-4 hours a little story arc which takes ACII - Whatever about 30-40 hours to get too. And it does it better.

#18 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@TheEroica said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@TheEroica said:

Cool, I'm liking what I'm seeing then...

And yeah, I pretty much couldnt say it better myself... and that's coming from someone who actually LOVES the setting and soul of what the game is doing at that time period... In execution it was a "buggy, sprawling, unfocused mess"... The FUN of the assassins creed series was stripped out of it, ie. the idea of building up your town and seeing the growth should be a fun distraction from the main story and instead plays like a dull uneventful and forgettable chore... Mostly for me, however, it's the way they forced you all over the damn map(s) making you wander around for what boiled down to little to no payoff. The currency system was garbage too... Skinning for trade, again, really cool idea, but c'mon with the boring trade/caravan nonsence. I don't hate AC3, but it represents a game that has almost next gen ambition pressed unfavorably into last gen execution to the tune of buggy gameplay... sigh. I wanted more.

#19 Edited by Blabadon (26645 posts) -

Phazon deserves praise for not making that shitty "triumph of the year" joke for the nth time.

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Phazon deserves praise for not making that shitty "triumph of the year" joke for the nth time.

But it is. ACIII is by far the most mature and adult like game. The rest are basically children games in comparison.

Sure, it's nowhere near as mature or as accomplished as a masterpiece like the Total War series but by Ubisoft and console standards, it's fairly high.

#21 Edited by GhoX (5027 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

The main problem the series has is that the combat is basically god mode. Counter + hit = insta kill.

Rip off the Batman series or something. Add a difficulty option. Seriously, fix it.

That's fine. The focus of AC4 is the naval combat and not ground combat. Alternatively in AC4 you can choose to be completely stealthy (like an actual assassin!) and don't get involved with all that counter stuff.

I also personally played the naval combat segments at an expo awhile ago. I must say, what details they took away from ground combat they added those details into naval combat.

@uninspiredcup said:

ACIII is by far the most mature and adult like game. The rest are basically children games in comparison.

And who cares about that? Having a mature and adult theme does not by itself make a game good. It is a potent element (as seen in games such as Witcher series), but an average game will remain an average game, and a good game will triumph even if it's about some little kings.

#22 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11920 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Whoops, must have slipped my mind.

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (58254 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@charizard1605 said:

@TheEroica said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@TheEroica said:

Cool, I'm liking what I'm seeing then...

And yeah, I pretty much couldnt say it better myself... and that's coming from someone who actually LOVES the setting and soul of what the game is doing at that time period... In execution it was a "buggy, sprawling, unfocused mess"... The FUN of the assassins creed series was stripped out of it, ie. the idea of building up your town and seeing the growth should be a fun distraction from the main story and instead plays like a dull uneventful and forgettable chore... Mostly for me, however, it's the way they forced you all over the damn map(s) making you wander around for what boiled down to little to no payoff. The currency system was garbage too... Skinning for trade, again, really cool idea, but c'mon with the boring trade/caravan nonsence. I don't hate AC3, but it represents a game that has almost next gen ambition pressed unfavorably into last gen execution to the tune of buggy gameplay... sigh. I wanted more.

And don't get me started on that bullshit final chase scene...

#24 Edited by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

@GhoX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

That's fine. The focus of AC4 is the naval combat and not ground combat. Alternatively in AC4 you can choose to be completely stealthy (like an actual assassin!) and don't get involved with all that counter stuff.

If your going to add multiple options, make them great. A game like Thief or even Hitman allows you to partake in close combat over stealth but it's more difficult. Again though, this is most likely due to the greed of ubisoft refusing to risk alienating a game anyone can pick up and play. As we all know, they are an incredibly scummy company.

#25 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

@charizard1605 said:

@skipper847 said:

The start of ACIII is easily the best part of the entire series. It does in 3-4 hours a little story arc which takes ACII - Whatever about 30-40 hours to get too. And it does it better.

starting to think you may be trolling.... The Opening - yet another chore presented by the team behind AC3.

#26 Posted by Blabadon (26645 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer said:

@Blabadon said:

Synthia said to me that if I wanted to get you suspended/banned, either take it up with CS or Flag multiple posts by you, so I'm currently doing both.

Damn new GameSpot making posting history hard to find.

#27 Edited by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

@charizard1605 said:

@skipper847 said:

starting to think you may be trolling.... The Opening - yet another chore presented by the team behind AC3.

No mate, I'm just over 14 and read books. Patience is a virtue and III should be praised for not giving into instant gratification for kiddies. For a console centric title this is an incredibly rare thing to see.

#28 Posted by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Feeling better about paying preorder off for PS4. I was a little worried after AC3.

#29 Edited by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

PC-gamer had a stellar review of AC3 last year, I'll be waiting for their opinion on this one (assuming the same guy is reviewing 4). From what I've seen gameplay look about as flat as it was in 3 (in fact it looks almost identical to 3 animations and everything). If it has the same amount of handholding/poor mission design/generic side content then I'm out of course. If not I'll likely pick it up after the first price drop.

I never trust early reviews.

#30 Edited by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

LOL! PS4 suffers from aliasing.

Seriously?

I'm getting the PC verison anyway, but common, not even some decent FXAA on the PS4?

#31 Edited by lostrib (37725 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

@charizard1605 said:

@skipper847 said:

He's always trolling

#32 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11920 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

@Blabadon said:

Synthia said to me that if I wanted to get you suspended/banned, either take it up with CS or Flag multiple posts by you, so I'm currently doing both.

Damn new GameSpot making posting history hard to find.

#33 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

Seriously?

I'm getting the PC verison anyway, but common, not even some decent FXAA on the PS4?

The pc version using TXAA.

#34 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Good to hear

#35 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16793 posts) -

Not getting it. I don't care enough about the story anymore and I've got many other games to play.

#36 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

I still need them to fix the climbing and auto jumping that got worse in 2 and has yet to be fixed since. Never played the 3rd but heard that that problem is still there.

#37 Edited by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@charizard1605: The last chase was Ubisofts final punishment for playing the game.

#38 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

most overrated franchise in the history of mankind

#39 Posted by charizard1605 (58254 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@charizard1605: The last chase was Ubisofts final punishment for playing the game.

I should probably sue them for trauma... that chase alone would be grounds enough.

#40 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11920 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@TheEroica said:

I should probably sue them for trauma... that chase alone would be grounds enough.

Oh come on, it wasn't that bad...

Ok fine it was horrible...

#41 Posted by freedomfreak (40971 posts) -

Getting the superior WiiU version.

#42 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@TheEroica said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

@charizard1605 said:

@skipper847 said:

No mate, I'm just over 14 and read books. Patience is a virtue and III should be praised for not giving into instant gratification for kiddies. For a console centric title this is an incredibly rare thing to see.

I had the mightiest of fanboy goggles on when AC3 released and even I was left scratching my head on some of these choices... what exactly did you find better than Ac2(?), which had amazing pacing, almost redefining the franchise....

#43 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

AC4 is on X1 and PS4 as well.

So its BEST on PS4 and X1 and on a decent PC.

AC series have been brilliant. Theres a movie in the works too.

#44 Posted by tormentos (18358 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

Seriously?

The xbox one version got me more worry is no where to be found should that be a sign of how great it will be.?

#45 Posted by charizard1605 (58254 posts) -

@g0ddyX said:

AC4 is on X1 and PS4 as well.

So its BEST on PS4 and X1 and on a decent PC.

AC series have been brilliant. Theres a movie in the works too.

lolg0ddyxpost

#46 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1596 posts) -

Cool, I haven't been a fan of the game but I have bought them when they got marked down and I'll do the same for this one.

#47 Posted by EnviousEyezOnMe (260 posts) -

Picking this up on X1 but...

About PS4 version:

-Beautiful, fluid, ... BUT there are aliasing on some textures.

Not a good sign. Either way, like Ryse, if the story is good...I'm playing!

#48 Edited by blamix99 (2059 posts) -

cant wait to play it on my ps4, btw AC brotherhood was the best for me not AC2. AC2 was alright but not the best

#49 Edited by chocolate1325 (32539 posts) -

Glad I decided to pre order it now.

#50 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2163 posts) -

This is the first game I'm picking up with my PS4, very excited for it. I've loved every Assassin Creed game so far.