Assassin Creed III is a lesson for the industry

• 63 results
#1 Edited by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

Reviewers gave this game 8's, 8.5's and 9's but the majority of us would agree its not a great game because of the repetition and padding. Imagine how many people bought it.

Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis (rip, but lets be honest) gave AC3 a 4-star review and then went on radio to say the game was a "hot pile of s**t". He pretty much represented a lot of reviewers in this regard.

"This game is full of issues, but it's Assassin's Creed, so 8"

This is why people are so angry that Mario Kart 8 and The Last of Us got 8's. People are wondering whether GS really thought they were essential experiences or they were obligatory-8's.

#2 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3272 posts) -

seriously ass creed revelation bored me so much i dont ever want to play a ass creed game ever game. i genuinely mean this, it was so damn tedious.

hope they kill this garbage franchise now

#3 Posted by princeofshapeir (13600 posts) -

McShea reviewed both MK8/10 and The Flop of Us, so it's his opinion. Not all 8s are created equal.

Everyone in the real world knows Assassin's Creed 3 was mediocre anyway.

#4 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6595 posts) -

AC3 was better than AC1, Revelations, and AC4. AC2 is the only game in the series that is truly great.

#5 Posted by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

Everyone in the real world knows Assassin's Creed 3 was mediocre anyway.

but but but metacritic gave it an 84. gamespot gave it an 8.5 or 9 i think.

#6 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3272 posts) -

AC3 was better than AC1, Revelations, and AC4. AC2 is the only game in the series that is truly great.

brotherhood? i really liked it. ac2 and brotherhood are amazing games, the rest garbage.

#7 Edited by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

So, I guess the question is: Is Mario Kart 8 an Assassin Creed III type of 8/10 (aka a highly hyped game thats meh) or is it a Resogun 8/10 (a not-overhyped game thats really good)

#8 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6595 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

brotherhood? i really liked it. ac2 and brotherhood are amazing games, the rest garbage.

I enjoyed it, too. I would say it's good, not great. Everything else in the series ranges from mediocre (3, Revelations) to bad (1, 4).

#9 Posted by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

I have ACII. It's quite good but if its the best the series has to offer, its not a good a series.

#10 Posted by coasterguy65 (5723 posts) -

Yeah an important lesson. Stop trying to rush out games for a yearly release, and take the time to make a quality game.

#11 Edited by princeofshapeir (13600 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000: B-b-but Pirate's Creed was the best game in the series and the best open world game of 2013!

#12 Posted by Vatusus (4225 posts) -

I liked AC3. In fact its my fav AC, though I havent played Black Flag yet. Dont know why all the hate

#13 Edited by dommeus (9111 posts) -

AC3>AC4?! What you smokin son? Brotherhood was also really good. Revelations and AC3 had me about ready to give up on the franchise, but Black Flag is an outstanding game, regardless of the AC moniker.

#14 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6595 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000: B-b-but Pirate's Creed was the best game in the series and the best open world game of 2013!

LOL. I could type for pages on all of the things that game does poorly, but in summary, it's a pirate game where you hire a faceless, nameless crew, take over ships, but don't actually sail the best one, and then send those ships on humanitarian missions (or sometimes pirate-related missions), but don't actually play that out. You just wait for the money. It's like a bad phone game mixed with a bad pirate game mixed with a bad assassin's creed game, all set in a giant, gorgeous open world.

#15 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15921 posts) -

I remember Ryan Davis saying that AC3 was disappointing, but I don't think he ever called the game shit.

#16 Posted by LadyBlue (3645 posts) -

To me it was Brotherhood.

#17 Edited by Gue1 (9116 posts) -

unlike movie critics game reviewers actually overrate every single game they review (Tom Chick being the exception but this guy doesn't know what a video game even is). That's why most people say a 7/10 score is bad/sucks because it's the truth. Only when a game truly suck big time reviewers dare to score it below a 6/10 but most of the time average games are a 7/10 minimum.

#18 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6595 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Brotherhood was a good game. I can definitely see how somebody could like it best.

#19 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

I have ACII. It's quite good but if its the best the series has to offer, its not a good a series.

Disregard the other posts. AC IV is the best in the series, so far. Big improvement over ACII. Play it.

#20 Posted by vashkey (33666 posts) -

It wasn't a bad game. I would even go as far as to say it was a good game. But it didn't meet expectations and was really disappointing as an Assassin's Creed game.

If I went in with no expectations and it wasn't called Assassin's Creed I would probably have a slightly higher opinion of it.

In regards to what Ryan Davis said, people are prone to exaggerate. Either it fantastic or it's shit. I don't think Assassin's Creed III is technically a bad game. But half the time I say it is because of how disappointing it was. I don't like having to explain myself so thoroughly every time I talk about something and I feel a fair amount of people feel the same.

#21 Edited by LadyBlue (3645 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Brotherhood was a good game. I can definitely see how somebody could like it best.

The AC franchise has been a disappointment since the first release. AC2, and Brotherhood gave me a little hope, but it was taken away pretty fast. AC4 side missions were far more interesting than the actual main quest. Spent most of the time looting ships, and hunting animals, after that I never touched it again. Sure, I'll finish it sometime, but that's never a good sign. I'm already fatigued of Watch Dogs, and the game hasn't released yet. All in all I think it's an ubi issue, everything they do feels old, and unexciting even before release.

#22 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1780 posts) -

First two games felt unique . Later series started to become boring because they stopped innovating it . Still Ezio trilogy was great overall . AC3 was such a disaster , I played AC4 for 3 hours and stopped playing it . I can bring myself to play another Assassin's Creed .

#23 Edited by uninspiredcup (6829 posts) -

Assassins Creed isn't a game.

#24 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11379 posts) -

Well, Assassin's Creed 3 is still a great game so...

#25 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6162 posts) -
#26 Posted by vashkey (33666 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Disregard the other posts. AC IV is the best in the series, so far. Big improvement over ACII. Play it.

I wouldn't say you opinion is anymore legitimate than anyone elses.

Personally I thought it was more in the middle. It was better than Revelations and III but it wasn't as good as 1, 2 and Brotherhood.

In fact, the only reason it was any good at all was sailing. The on foot stuff hadn't improved at all and were worse for wear.

#27 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2121 posts) -

It's funny but all ac games are like that

They are praised by critics but in reality they suck just like COD

#28 Edited by princeofshapeir (13600 posts) -

@vashkey said:
@shellcase86 said:

@drekula2 said:

I wouldn't say you opinion is anymore legitimate than anyone elses.

Personally I thought it was more in the middle. It was better than Revelations and III but it wasn't as good as 1, 2 and Brotherhood.

In fact, the only reason it was any good at all was sailing. The on foot stuff hadn't improved at all and were worse for wear.

Until they fix the combat and manage to make it fun the series will forever be shit

#29 Posted by voljin1987 (675 posts) -

I dunno.. i liked it.. but then i love anything related to the old west and stuff

#30 Edited by uninspiredcup (6829 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Actually it is.

A game has a fail mechanic. You can't fail in this game. It's almost impossible.

No point, go do dishes.

#31 Posted by MonsieurX (28653 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Actually it is.

A game has a fail mechanic. You can't fail in this game. It's almost impossible.

No point, go do dishes.

So, it's possible.

So,it has a fail mechanic

So,it's a game

#32 Posted by uninspiredcup (6829 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Actually it is.

No point, go do dishes.

So, it's possible.

So,it's a game

For hardcore pc gamers it is impossible and thus, not a game.

Make me factually correct in thing I just said, right then a moment ago.

#33 Posted by MonsieurX (28653 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Actually it is.

No point, go do dishes.

So, it's possible.

So,it's a game

So,a game is determined by "hardcore pc gamers" (ie,you)?

#34 Edited by uninspiredcup (6829 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@MonsieurX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Actually it is.

No point, go do dishes.

So, it's possible.

So,it's a game

Life experience is how we all gouge the world.

It seems pretty clear Ubisoft are so greedy, so contempt at loosing profit, so undermining of our abilities, they seek to make non games. Thus, it is not a game.

Same with practically every Tom Clancy title. Once great games, now non games.

Ubisoft outright admitted they don't want people to experience any form of challenge or gameplay. Moneys, give.

#35 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6162 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@MonsieurX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Actually it is.

No point, go do dishes.

So, it's possible.

So,it's a game

It seems pretty clear Ubisoft are so greedy, so contempt at loosing profit, so undermining of our abilities, they seek to make non games. Thus, it is not a game.

Ubisoft outright admitted they don't want people to experience any form of challenge or gameplay. Moneys, give.

SNIPER's alt confirmed.

#36 Edited by MonsieurX (28653 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@MonsieurX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Actually it is.

No point, go do dishes.

So, it's possible.

So,it's a game

Stop trying to not make any sense

#37 Posted by cfisher2833 (1500 posts) -

The entire Assassins Creed franchise is mediocre. Some of the worst controls in gaming, boring missions, uber easy combat that requires no skill, and piss poor CPU utilization. Really though, the controls are the franchises' biggest problem. Contextual controls in general are annoying (see Thief), but AssCreed has the absolute worst contextual controls imaginable. Not to mention, the free running mechanic is boring as can be.

#38 Edited by heguain (312 posts) -

Yes, But brotherhood was awesome as well..

#39 Edited by geniobastardo (917 posts) -

All they need is an 'innovation' which seems relevant to the "Assassin" theme. If they can do this in this year's AC, I welcome it otherwise I'm really not planning to get Unity even though I'm a 'fan' of this series... well, sorts of.

#40 Edited by Krelian-co (9993 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@MonsieurX said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Actually it is.

No point, go do dishes.

So, it's possible.

So,it's a game

never breed, i know you think you are trolling but the fact that you waste your time in doing so and writing such stupid bs just shows what kind of moron you are.

#41 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Reviewers gave this game 8's, 8.5's and 9's but the majority of us would agree its not a great game because of the repetition and padding. Imagine how many people bought it.

Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis (rip, but lets be honest) gave AC3 a 4-star review and then went on radio to say the game was a "hot pile of s**t". He pretty much represented a lot of reviewers in this regard.

"This game is full of issues, but it's Assassin's Creed, so 8"

This is why people are so angry that Mario Kart 8 and The Last of Us got 8's. People are wondering whether GS really thought they were essential experiences or they were obligatory-8's.

Ryan Davis sounds like a big hypocrite.

He doesn't need to say "This game is full of issues, but it's Assassin's Creed, so 8" like he is trying to adress something, and give the game an 8 himself.

He should've called the game out in his review and called it a hot pile of shit their.

#42 Edited by Mr-Kutaragi (1840 posts) -

I like part 3 but I still think Roman one were best Assassin creed. Had best map design and gameplay element and living world. I still wish they make version of historic japan...

#43 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24241 posts) -

What??

#44 Posted by foxhound_fox (86862 posts) -

Go to 9GN if you want higher review scores. 8spot has their standard score.

#45 Posted by uninspiredcup (6829 posts) -

It seems Eurogamer is the only high quality trust worthy source that can be acquired

Either that or listen to the fat bald man Total Biscuit spend 20 minutes complaining about FOV.

#46 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42525 posts) -

That reminds me, I bought it on Wii U long ago and haven't even played it yet.

Oops.

#47 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6595 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

What??

I really don't get the love for AC4. It is a bad game. It's a bad pirate game, and a bad Assassin's Creed game. The sailing mechanics are serviceable, but aside from the occasional gust to blow you off-kilter, the wind doesn't even matter. You spend hours and hours building a fleet you don't even get to see in action, with no payoff at all. There are hundreds, if not thousands of chests and animus fragments out there to collect for no reason. They aren't there to find, just collect. The game tells you the exact location of all of them. Combat is the same easy system as it has always been. The missions are disjointed and easily the weakest in the entire series. The stealth mechanics are all still completely contextual. The first time I took out a naval fort, I thought "Wow, this will never get old." Well, it did get old after 4 or 5 of them. There are only so many ways you can kill that defenseless guy in the fort who has already surrendered. The whole game is just a chore. It's a list of things that Ubisoft gives you to do. It's a lot of fun for a few hours, until you start to get powerful and you've already seen everything the game has to show you. It's a lot like an Elder Scrolls game in that regard.

#48 Edited by wis3boi (30881 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

What??

AC3 is better than one thing.....explosive diarrhea.

#49 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26160 posts) -

so the lesson here is there are things called opinions in this world.

#50 Edited by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

Nope, it might be trendy on game sites to bash the game and say it sucks, but out in the real world most of the people I talk to seem to really like the game. I myself enjoy it quite a bit and think it deserves those 8s it got.