Aside from good graphics why would anyone want to PC game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by clyde46 (44839 posts) -

Being able to install a capture card and record all my sessions and edit/render on the same system. My game computer is also a badass computer in general.

That and game prices

Have you tried Shadowplay yet?

#102 Posted by Kinthalis (5305 posts) -

Being able to install a capture card and record all my sessions and edit/render on the same system. My game computer is also a badass computer in general.

That and game prices

Are you chekcing out or plan on chekcing Nvidia's shadow play?

I've been using it, although some features are currenlty not relased (like having an overlay for your webcam). But the main draw is that it records 1080p/60 FPS 50 mbps for zero performance penalty in games. Not sure if the fact that the videos end up on youtube means that high fidelity doesn't mean much to you though.

#103 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

That and game prices

Not yet, heard good things though.

How long does it record for? File sizes etc?

My capture card is 1080p/30fps at 60mbps

#104 Posted by MBirdy88 (7654 posts) -

Why do you think you are clever with this lame level of trolling? let me guess, 13 year old that just discovered the internet as a tool to annoy people.

1/10.... for being able to use the internet.

#105 Edited by clyde46 (44839 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

That and game prices

Not yet, heard good things though.

How long does it record for? File sizes etc?

My capture card is 1080p/30fps at 60mbps

1080p60 at 50mbps.

#106 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

1080p60 at 50mbps.

Not bad.

I'm very uninformed about the whole thing though, like how it records, when it records etc.

#107 Edited by clyde46 (44839 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

1080p60 at 50mbps.

Not bad.

I'm very uninformed about the whole thing though, like how it records, when it records etc.

I had a look at it when I was getting FPS drops using FRAPS in Burnout Paradise.

#108 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@clyde46 said:

1080p60 at 50mbps.

Not bad.

I had a look at it when I was getting FPS drops using FRAPS in Burnout Paradise.

Fraps has great quality but the performance hit just isn't worth it. The file sizes are way too big too

#109 Edited by clyde46 (44839 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@clyde46 said:

1080p60 at 50mbps.

Not bad.

Fraps has great quality but the performance hit just isn't worth it. The file sizes are way too big too

I was struggling to see why I was getting FPS drops, its freaking Burnout for gods sake.

#110 Edited by Motokid6 (5234 posts) -

Can i open up a console to work on it/upgrade it if I like?

#111 Posted by Link3301 (1680 posts) -

@conorhat: Contrary to popular belief those are not the only good games on PC.

#112 Edited by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Couldn't tell ya. I've given PC gaming a chance a couple of times and my experiences ranged from being slightly above average at best, and a downright headache inducing pain in the ass at worst (which was quite often). Between constantly having problems with Steam acting up, poorly optimized games, and having to worry about whether or not my computer could run certain games properly, it just wasn't a comfortable experience. I have no desire to go back especially now that I own a PS4. I love the simplicity and convenient nature of my consoles.

#113 Posted by Link3301 (1680 posts) -

Mods

Sheer size of avaiable games

Better Performance

Low prices

#114 Edited by foxhound_fox (87626 posts) -

#115 Posted by weisguy119 (3355 posts) -

Let's apply this logic to another product to see how silly it is:

Aside from performance, why would anyone buy a Ferrari?

Ferraris are expensive and cost more to repair.

Ferraris can't use all that performance because of speed limits.

Most people can't drive stick anyway.

Most people own Fords and Chevrolets so why buy a premium automobile when you can settle for mediocrity?

Clearly, even if you can afford one, Ferraris are actually an inferior product.

#116 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I was struggling to see why I was getting FPS drops, its freaking Burnout for gods sake.

FRAPS is just a dog on performance in general.

#117 Edited by clyde46 (44839 posts) -

Let's apply this logic to another product to see how silly it is:

Aside from performance, why would anyone buy a Ferrari?

Ferraris are expensive and cost more to repair.

Ferraris can't use all that performance because of speed limits.

Most people own Fords and Chevrolets so why buy a premium automobile when you can settle for mediocrity?

Clearly, even if you can afford one, Ferraris are actually an inferior product.

A ford doesn't sound like this.

#118 Edited by Cobra_nVidia (1439 posts) -

@##@@

@lostrib said:

@x1ps4life said:

@Sweenix:

Crysis 1 was the best.

Not sure how these guys think I'm trolling.

New gen PC gamers don't understand what PC gaming used to be like (the best).

hmmm, well this sounds like familiar trolling

Not really, this isn't an actual troll thread.

Its a message to all PC gamers who act as if PC gaming is as dominant as it once was.

You probably weren't born yet but ever heard of games such as UT2004, BF2/2142, the original PC CoDs, Operation Typhoon Rising, FEAR, CSS, Half Life 2, Doom 3, etc.?

Those were PC oriented games that defined PC gaming

I can't say which is more appalling

1. The "dude-bro" who's top 10 greatest games ever are all one f*%^ing genre (usually shooters...almost always shooters)

2. The "dude-bro" who thinks consoles are better than PCs

I do know that a "dude-bro" that falls into both categories...is probably the most annoying human being on the planet.

I mean serious, WHAT. THE. F%*k?

" I only play shooters and they're better on consoles!"

PC's get plenty of exclusives. And they don't exactly have problems selling them. Porting games like Halo and Gears of War over didn't work so well. Its almost like some European country trying to sell Jetfighters to the U.S. Air Force.

#119 Edited by Cyberdot (3518 posts) -

I have lost faith in humanity long time ago.

The stupidity continues, I see.

#120 Posted by X1PS4Life (243 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

Can i open up a console to work on it/upgrade it if I like?

Consoles work out of the box.

#121 Posted by X1PS4Life (243 posts) -

Couldn't tell ya. I've given PC gaming a chance a couple of times and my experiences ranged from being slightly above average at best, and a downright headache inducing pain in the ass at worst (which was quite often). Between constantly having problems with Steam acting up, poorly optimized games, and having to worry about whether or not my computer could run certain games properly, it just wasn't a comfortable experience. I have no desire to go back especially now that I own a PS4. I love the simplicity and convenient nature of my consoles.

This is why PC gaming isn't mainstream, the simplicity of a console can't be beat and the Steambox won't change a thing.

Hermits make it sound like everything is perfect on PC when infact they are non factors in the game industry.

Still yet to come across a PC gamer irl, they either all stay in their basements or don't exist, probably the first option.

#122 Edited by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

All of these anti-PC-troll alt accounts because PC won the SW meta-game for 3 gens in a row now (undebatable).....

Considering this new gen's track record (PC considerably ahead), I'm guessing its only going to get worse.

May god be with your forum-Mods.

#123 Posted by raging_user (382 posts) -

Still playing that epic GOW 3 singleplayer or that perfect last of us multiplayer?

without community it turns to shit instantly

#124 Posted by foxhound_fox (87626 posts) -

No modern Ferrari offers a manual transmission. :P

#125 Posted by X1PS4Life (243 posts) -

All of these anti-PC-troll alt accounts because PC won the SW meta-game for 3 gens in a row now (undebatable).....

Considering this new gen's track record (PC considerably ahead), I'm guessing its only going to get worse.

May god be with your forum-Mods.

Delusional Jankar, what is it with you thinking people are anti PC, console players have nothing to worry about.

PC hasn't won a GOTY since WoW.

You need good games, you have the hardware though.

#126 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15915 posts) -

Still yet to come across a PC gamer irl, they either all stay in their basements or don't exist, probably the first option.

Meh. I've seen plenty of console gamers holding on to their controllers and dateless on a Friday night.

#127 Posted by foxhound_fox (87626 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

A ford doesn't sound like this.

Oh that Pagani. Have you seen the Cinque? Or the R? That's what a real car should sound like. Just pure sex to the ears.

#128 Posted by Motokid6 (5234 posts) -

@x1ps4life: I dont care if it works or not. Can i open a console up to tweak/modify it?

#129 Edited by X1PS4Life (243 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@x1ps4life: I dont care if it works or not. Can i open a console up to tweak/modify it?

No need, you think people that buy Ferrarri's or Mercedes open them up?

If it's a reliable product they come with ease of use, consoles are similar to the cars named above.

They aren't unreliable rides, they don't need to be tweaked nor fixed and that's why are they are popular and wanted.

#130 Edited by clyde46 (44839 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

If it's a reliable product they come with ease of use, consoles are similar to the cars named above.

They aren't unreliable rides, they don't need to be tweaked nor fixed and that's why are they are popular and wanted.

Funny that, consoles aren't reliable.

#131 Edited by X1PS4Life (243 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@Motokid6 said:

http://bf4central.com/2013/10/battlefield-4-unplayable-pc/

Still a lot more reliable than PC

#132 Posted by heretrix (37307 posts) -

Other than sheer laughs why would anybody want to read this thread?

#133 Edited by MBirdy88 (7654 posts) -

I don't know whats more ret@rded. His generally awful trolling and setting up a new account to do so. OR hes advocating a PS4/X1 combo over one of them and PC/WiiU ... both which are VERY different experiences to those two. you buy an X1 one or a PS4 and you have 90% of BOTHs content. sad. you miss out.

#134 Posted by clyde46 (44839 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@Motokid6 said:

Comparing a buggy game to a unreliable console. Lawl

#135 Posted by EddyG0RD0 (2568 posts) -

because the PC games are free , you dont have to pay 60$ , just dl crack and you can play ,master race win again...

#136 Posted by Cobra_nVidia (1439 posts) -

@heretrix said:

Other than sheer laughs why would anybody want to read this thread?

I think I see what you did there...

However, I would point out that if System Wars had a TOTY (Thread of the Year) for 2013 this would probably win it. And I think we know who would win Troll of the Year (…also TOTY).

I've never been more entertained by System Wars.

#137 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

To pirate games? I am not advocating pirating games but I'd imagine it's a reason why people like PC

#138 Posted by Joedgabe (5110 posts) -

To pirate games? I am not advocating pirating games but I'd imagine it's a reason why people like PC

You mean not to play games that play better on PC ? FPS play better on PC than on Consoles, Some adventure games play better on PC than consoles. Plus PC has a lot of great exclusives.

#139 Edited by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

@Joedgabe: I don't doubt the power of the PC but most gamers don't mind sacrificing PC perks for console controllers, 4 players on the same console, no need of upgrading hardware.

Now I know many will argue you don't need a $900 PC to play games. My PC handles most games pretty well but GTA:IV it cannot handle. Civilization V plays well at first but with a Huge map and max civilizations it begins to lag horribly and I can never finish the play (it works fine at standard map & civ's)

Well I have no choice but to play Civ V on PC since it's not on consoles, yet my point is consoles > PC :P

#140 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Mods

Variety

Control over graphics

Indie

Price of games

Sales

Bundles

Community

Upgrade when I want and what I want

Multi Monitor Game play

Emulators

Full media players / any format

Choice of controls, mouse and keyboard, xbox or other manufacture .. important to have one that feels right.

No limits, it can do anything you want it to do.. not what you are told you can do.

^ This

#141 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

PC's got every single AAA third-party multiplat game (with exception to Red Dead Redemption, which was grossly overrated anyway)

#142 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

I see have to post this again:

A breakdown of 2013's exclusives rated 80% or above on Metacritic:

#143 Posted by Cyberdot (3518 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@clyde46 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@Motokid6 said:

Consolites.

That's all.

#144 Posted by Joedgabe (5110 posts) -

@Joedgabe: I don't doubt the power of the PC but most gamers don't mind sacrificing PC perks for console controllers, 4 players on the same console, no need of upgrading hardware.

Now I know many will argue you don't need a $900 PC to play games. My PC handles most games pretty well but GTA:IV it cannot handle. Civilization V plays well at first but with a Huge map and max civilizations it begins to lag horribly and I can never finish the play (it works fine at standard map & civ's)

Well I have no choice but to play Civ V on PC since it's not on consoles, yet my point is consoles > PC :P

You do need that $900 for the PC because chances are you might constantly be having to upgrade certain parts to get the best out of your PC so PC gaming isn't cheap if it's something you want to keep going down the line. Now about that local play... though you do have a point playing locally is great, there's hardly any games now that allow that. At most they're 2 player games. But if you can afford it then Pc is a great choice.. i'm not gonna argue saying PC gaming isn't expensive.. it is expensive... if you don't have an income don't get a gaming PC because once things start messing up there it goes.

#145 Posted by leandrro (801 posts) -

PC gaming today is about late releases, unfinished games (check BF4/Cod Ghost some of the biggest games of the year), and devs not wanting to release their games on the PC (GTA V).

Seems like all PC gamers can ever do is talk about how some average game like Crysis 3 or MLL has nice graphics, at the end of the days who really cares?

That's the difference between console gaming and PC gaming, consoles have the games with adequate graphics and PC has the occasional graphic pushing games all PC gamers like to rally behind despite the gameplay sucking.

Consoles are guaranteed to get all relevant AAA games, PC is not due to things like piracy and devs not believing the high end market really exist anymore.

Why would anyone want to PC game, most gamers are casual and don't care about the things hermits like to gloat about in a way to claim PC superiority.

All they really look like to everyone else are desperate nerds trying to justify their purchase on playing slightly better multiplats.

inb4 list of indie games.

to me, the hole point of PC gaming is saving money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naO0daBZeRo

#146 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

@Joedgabe: Well said. Luckily I only needed to invest about $100 for a new graphic card on this PC from 2007 and I am enjoying far cry 3, saints row 3, assassins creed, fallout new vegas

#147 Edited by mrsheeno (149 posts) -

OP doesn't even know how to build a computer.

My PC was more powerful than a ps4 5 years ago.

#148 Posted by Motokid6 (5234 posts) -

Your gonna compare consoles to cars .. really? With me? lol ok ill bite. For your information unless your Jay Leno Ferrari/Mercedes owners DO work on their cars. I have several friends who race and maintain Ferraris. They are what we call enthusiasts. A word no plastic/console lover will ever understand. So im going to ask again. Can i work on a console to modify/upgrade it? Dont avoid the question this time with a false analogy.

#149 Posted by lostrib (34294 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@clyde46 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@Motokid6 said:

Especially a game that has just as many issues on consoles

#150 Posted by groowagon (2757 posts) -

strategy games are super awesome. also, gamepad is useless for shooters.

i would not spend the money to build a gaming PC if wouldn't think it's worth it.