Asahi: PlayStation 4 to be over 40,000 yen

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

Source

Gaf

The PlayStation 4 will launch this year for over 40,000 yen (about $428), according to a report in major Japanese daily the Asahi Shimbun. That's the first clear indication we've gotten on pricing for the new system, and suggests that while Sony isn't pricing the PS4 too aggressively, it's learned its lesson from the shaky PlayStation 3 launch. For comparison, upon release in 2006 the PS3 cost around 60,000 yen in its more expensive configuration, and $599 in the US. Meanwhile, the cheapest PS3 now costs 24,980 yen in Japan versus $269 in the US. Were the PS4 to launch at 40,000 yen in Japan, we'd expect an American price of around $400 or more.

The Asahi Shimbun further corroborates things we've heard from other reports, such as a 2013 launch for the US and Japan no mention was made of Europe, suggesting the release there may well slip into 2014. Elsewhere, the report says that the PS4 controller will feature a touch pad and be "roughly the same shape" as the current Dual Shock 3. Finally, the Asahi Shimbun states in no uncertain terms that February 20th is the date when we'll hear all this information confirmed for real.

Good price.

If i had to guess..i think that would be around $700 AU

#2 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

400 US, probably going to see a couple of different SKUs, as long as it doesnt block used games this is shaping up very nicely for PS4.

#3 Posted by carlisledavid79 (10503 posts) -
350/399£ Nothing wrong with that
#4 Posted by lundy86_4 (42798 posts) -

I expect a $425-$450 price tag, considering we can't just use the market rate conversion. Either way, not too bad.

#5 Posted by Obviously_Right (5091 posts) -

Great news.

#6 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9369 posts) -
I expect $450.
#7 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9737 posts) -
The ps4 is looking pretty good lately (if rumours are true)
#8 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (2995 posts) -

I expect $599 and have to work overtime so it feels like I've earned it.

#9 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -
A $400/$500 launch is good.
#10 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

ninjapirate2000
Better start looking for that third job.
#11 Posted by Heil68 (43147 posts) -
What I thought it would be, that leaves plenty for games! :D
#12 Posted by nutcrackr (12356 posts) -
#13 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7270 posts) -

Nonstop-Madness

9.5/10 sig.

#14 Posted by jsmoke03 (12597 posts) -

instead of a touchscreen, i would rather have to paddles/buttons on the backside of the controller

#15 Posted by roulettethedog (10942 posts) -

My guess is $499/$599 U.S.D.

#16 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

$400 is at the ends of my comfort zone.

Still, just a rumor.

#17 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Still, just a rumor.

whiskeystrike

$400 dollars sounds about right, Theres no cell tech to make it expensive, and Sony can make a Blu Ray player for like 20 dollars now.

#18 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -
$400 is doable.. if it's $500 or more i'll pass until it' cheaper.
#19 Posted by darkspineslayer (19438 posts) -
I could see myself paying that. Though I don't think I'll be onboard at launch, unless its truly spectacular.
#20 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

Still, just a rumor.

crimsonman1245

$400 dollars sounds about right, Theres no cell tech to make it expensive, and Sony can make a Blu Ray player for like 20 dollars now.

Yeah Sony would have to really deliver to convince me to spend over $400... admittedly I wouldn't mind if they were a little bit more just to make more money off the launch :p

#21 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11460 posts) -

Certainly not terrible for launch price.

#22 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

I will have one by the end of the year if the games are there too.

#23 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7006 posts) -

If true, it would be great to see that Sony learned something from the PS3 launch. The $400 range is pretty reasonable; definitely more attractive than $599.99 :x

#24 Posted by TwistedShade (3137 posts) -

400$ Max would be a good launch price. Any more and it feels pretty expensive.

#25 Posted by Chutebox (36392 posts) -

Hopefully it'll be pretty decent at that price.  If so I'll have it day one.

#26 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The Vita and 599 USD taught them nothing. If I owned Sony stock, I've be bailing out right about now.
#27 Posted by jsmoke03 (12597 posts) -

im hoping for $375 including tax

#28 Posted by -Patrick_92- (2168 posts) -

The Vita and 599 USD taught them nothing. If I owned Sony stock, I've be bailing out right about now.Zeviander
The $250 launch price for Vita was more than fair, the memory card prices weren't, but the system itself was certainly not priced badly.

If they sell the PS4 at $400 that would be fine, I'd buy one at $400.

I think Sony learned their lesson with the PS3.

#29 Posted by Giancar (19043 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]The Vita and 599 USD taught them nothing. If I owned Sony stock, I've be bailing out right about now.

The rumor is $400 bucks :? 30% less than the $599 fiasco. A great price point IF true for a next gen console. What do you expect with the rumored specs, to be free?
#30 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

if wii u is over priced that sure as heck is over priced and i can bet on it being 600 blocking used games 

#31 Posted by Chutebox (36392 posts) -
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]The Vita and 599 USD taught them nothing. If I owned Sony stock, I've be bailing out right about now.

The rumor is $400 bucks :? 30% less than the $599 fiasco. A great price point IF true for a next gen console. What do you expect with the rumored specs, to be free?

What are "the" rumored specs?
#32 Posted by Chutebox (36392 posts) -

if wii u is over priced that sure as heck is over priced and i can bet on it being 600 blocking used games 

mariokart64fan
Try harder
#33 Posted by Ghost120x (3680 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Patrick_92-"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]The Vita and 599 USD taught them nothing. If I owned Sony stock, I've be bailing out right about now.

$250 launch price for Vita was more than a fair price, the hidden cost of the expensive memory cards was not. If they sell the PS4 at $400 that would be fine, I think Sony learned their lesson with the PS3.

Let's hope they don't have expensive proprietary hdd's.
#34 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7249 posts) -

400 is a price I'm willing to pay just don't be 599 again.

#35 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2522 posts) -

$400 would be great. $450 is pushing it.

Would be awesome if they shock us and launch for $350.

#36 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

mariokart64fan
the ps4 is a next gen system, not an expansion pack to a wii.
#37 Posted by -Patrick_92- (2168 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ghost120x"][QUOTE="-Patrick_92-"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]The Vita and 599 USD taught them nothing. If I owned Sony stock, I've be bailing out right about now.

$250 launch price for Vita was more than a fair price, the hidden cost of the expensive memory cards was not. If they sell the PS4 at $400 that would be fine, I think Sony learned their lesson with the PS3.

Yeah let's hope not. Even if they do, the system will probably include a hard drive out of the box, and it'll probably be pretty big too considering the push for digital lately.
#38 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ghost120x"][QUOTE="-Patrick_92-"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]The Vita and 599 USD taught them nothing. If I owned Sony stock, I've be bailing out right about now.

They will come out of the box definitly, LBP updates for example takes around few GBs as it holds every DLC.
#39 Posted by Djmaster214 (3236 posts) -
[QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"]

campzor

lol or just do some smart saving since theres at least 8 months before people suspect it will launch. even a crappy part time will get you there
#40 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"]

Djmaster214

lol or just do some smart saving since theres at least 8 months before people suspect it will launch. even a crappy part time will get you there

1 (2 MAX, and thats pushing it) full week of work could give you the funds for a new console in Australia.
#41 Posted by DivineSword (15740 posts) -

Certainly not terrible for launch price.

PhazonBlazer

Well it certainly is a lot better than the PS3 launch price.

#42 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="Giancar"]A great price point IF true for a next gen console. What do you expect with the rumored specs, to be free?

The economy is much different now than it was in 2006. A $400 console now could be as scary as a $600 console 7 years ago. I expect, well, no, this is exactly what I expected... what I WANTED Sony to do was think about their long-term sustainability as a business and produce a console that can be sold at a profit from day one, and be easy to develop for and be launched at a very attractive price ($300 has always been the magic launch number) that appeals to the most consumers, rather than rely on a loyal userbase to buy their products and give them free advertising on message boards. I used to LOVE Sony back in the PS2 days. I still feel some attachment to their brands (mainly Gran Turismo and Syphon Filter) and would buy their console if they produced first party games worth playing. But the PS3 has left a largely sour taste in my mouth, and I'm likely not going to buy one until many years down the road. Sony has made some really terrible business decisions as of late (not putting GoW Ascension on Vita as exclusive being the biggest), and I'm commenting on them. I hope they don't go out of business, but I want to be realistic here. They have been hemorrhaging money for years... and aren't looking like they are trying to fix the leaks.
#43 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

[QUOTE="Giancar"]A great price point IF true for a next gen console. What do you expect with the rumored specs, to be free?Zeviander
The economy is much different now than it was in 2006. A $400 console now could be as scary as a $600 console 7 years ago. I expect, well, no, this is exactly what I expected... what I WANTED Sony to do was think about their long-term sustainability as a business and produce a console that can be sold at a profit from day one, and be easy to develop for and be launched at a very attractive price ($300 has always been the magic launch number) that appeals to the most consumers, rather than rely on a loyal userbase to buy their products and give them free advertising on message boards. I used to LOVE Sony back in the PS2 days. I still feel some attachment to their brands (mainly Gran Turismo and Syphon Filter) and would buy their console if they produced first party games worth playing. But the PS3 has left a largely sour taste in my mouth, and I'm likely not going to buy one until many years down the road. Sony has made some really terrible business decisions as of late (not putting GoW Ascension on Vita as exclusive being the biggest), and I'm commenting on them. I hope they don't go out of business, but I want to be realistic here. They have been hemorrhaging money for years... and aren't looking like they are trying to fix the leaks.

No thanks, because that would mean it wouldnt be as graphically capable as if it were sold for $400  and selling at a loss for example. This is a 10 (realistically, a 5) year investment. $300 pretty much gets you a wii u...

Also WTF.. why would you want ascension on the vita for? Exclusive even :|  That seems like a stupid business decision. I want my God of War experience to be on a home console. 

#44 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
It's an alright price...if its true.
#45 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
Sounds good. I'll still probably end up burning another $200 on games when I buy it though. Or rather I probably won't buy it until it has enough games warranting me burning $200 at once on games. :P
#46 Posted by danjammer69 (4105 posts) -

instead of a touchscreen, i would rather have to paddles/buttons on the backside of the controller

jsmoke03
No mention of a touchscreen.
#47 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16720 posts) -
That's a lot better than what the PS3 launched. Shouldn't take too long for it to drop to what I am willing to pay. Only thing that could kill it all for me now is of they fight used games. That happens and I am PC only next gen.
#48 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

I can roll with that price, assuming this is true.

#49 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
That's a lot better than what the PS3 launched. Shouldn't take too long for it to drop to what I am willing to pay. Only thing that could kill it all for me now is of they fight used games. That happens and I am PC only next gen.AmazonTreeBoa
but isnt pc worse with used games? :P
#50 Posted by fueled-system (6246 posts) -
As long as it goes on sale on black friday of the following year for 300-350 I am good