Art (PS3/360) vs Fun (Wii)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OceanLeet
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts

We all know that we have fun no matter what we're playing.  However, what we percieve as fun varies from person to person.  In this thread, list off your favorite top 10 games you have ever played, what platform you played them on, and whether you thought it was simply fun or an artistic game.  Note that artistic games can still be fun and fun games can be artistic.  Then show a % of whether you like artisic games or simpler fun games.  I'll start so you see what I mean.

(in no order)

- Shadow of the Colossus (art) - PS2

- Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (art) - N64

- Devil May Cry 3 SE (fun) - PS2

- Contra (fun) - NES

- Anarchy Online (art) - PC

- Doom 3 (art) - PC

- Unreal Tournament '99 (fun) - PC

- Starcraft (both) - PC 

- Diablo 1 (art) - PC

- Duke Nukem 64 (fun) - N64

I'm roughly 55% art and 45% simple fun.

How about you? 

Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kaosed
Member since 2006 • 3409 Posts

the topic is wrong, so only wii games are fun or they are more fun?

on topic-im 50 50 

proof11102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 proof11102
Member since 2007 • 1080 Posts

Motrostrom is fun.

THREAD/

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
I'm 75-25 art. I need the game to have a strong art style or else I won't enjoy it as much. Case-in-point: Gears of War. The gameplay is great, but playing through it with a friend, it was just a soulless exercise in rote gameplay. And what fun is that?
re-tart356

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 re-tart356
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts

gears of war?

did i win?

Kev_Unreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kev_Unreal
Member since 2007 • 2818 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25428707

:P

proof11102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 proof11102

on topic-im 50 50 

Kaosed

this is why that argument from sheep is incredibly stupid to me.  Since they are only limited to one (fun...not sure how every game on the wii = fun but whatever) they somehow want to twist reality into that meaning that PS3 and 360 games can only be art (graphics etc..) but cannot also be fun.

OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OceanLeet

Kev_Unreal

Curse youuuuuuu!!  :lol: :) 

OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OceanLeet
[QUOTE="Kaosed"]

on topic-im 50 50

proof11102

this is why that argument from sheep is incredibly stupid to me. Since they are only limited to one (fun...not sure how every game on the wii = fun but whatever) they somehow want to twist reality into that meaning that PS3 and 360 games can only be art (graphics etc..) but cannot also be fun.

Read my first post.  Artisitic games CAN be fun.  My point about mentioning the Wii is that it has fewer games that you could really call "art".

proof11102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 proof11102

Here is another falacy that seems to escape people who make these kinds of posts....All the games that you are saying are fun had excellent graphics (or art if you prefer) for the time they were released.

All the games that only had one...well, they're never mentioned because they never delivered the experience of the games that had both great gameplay and graphic quality.

Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kaosed

Motrostrom is fun.

THREAD/

proof11102

1.its 'motorstorm' 

2.its

/thread

3.ROFL :lol: 

Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kaosed
[QUOTE="proof11102"][QUOTE="Kaosed"]

on topic-im 50 50

OceanLeet

this is why that argument from sheep is incredibly stupid to me. Since they are only limited to one (fun...not sure how every game on the wii = fun but whatever) they somehow want to twist reality into that meaning that PS3 and 360 games can only be art (graphics etc..) but cannot also be fun.

Read my first post. Artisitic games CAN be fun. My point about mentioning the Wii is that it has fewer games that you could really call "art".

then specify cause the 'wii is better in gameplay' argument is retarded 

proof11102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 proof11102
[QUOTE="proof11102"][QUOTE="Kaosed"]

on topic-im 50 50

OceanLeet

Read my first post.  Artisitic games CAN be fun.  My point about mentioning the Wii is that it has fewer games that you could really call "art".

:( I'm sorry but that makes no sence.  Every game has "art"

Why don't you drop the coy roseary and call it what it is...Graphics. Wii dosen't have very good graphics and therefore the games aren't very pleasing to the eye.  is that what you're getting at.  Becuse that "art" comment makes no sence what so ever becaue every game has art even those on DS and PSP.

OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OceanLeet
[QUOTE="OceanLeet"][QUOTE="proof11102"][QUOTE="Kaosed"]

on topic-im 50 50

Kaosed

Read my first post. Artisitic games CAN be fun. My point about mentioning the Wii is that it has fewer games that you could really call "art".

Gears of War would be in the "both" category.  It's got a great artistic direction, while the gameplay mops the floor with ANYTHING on the Wii right now.  The Wii has the capacity to have great gameplay, but the games are....meh.  But just so you know, I'm not a sheep nor have I ever been.  I like the Wii, but I'm very quick to bash it for the games and lack of online.  Out of all of the consoles, the PS3 is my fav, but it's a rediculous $600 :(  (yes, i have the money.  no, a game machine isn't worth that)

Kev_Unreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kev_Unreal
Member since 2007 • 2818 Posts
[QUOTE="Kev_Unreal"]

OceanLeet

Curse youuuuuuu!!  :lol: :) 

hey, at least it's a better understanding of "art".:P

OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OceanLeet
[QUOTE="OceanLeet"][QUOTE="proof11102"][QUOTE="Kaosed"]

on topic-im 50 50

proof11102

:( I'm sorry but that makes no sence. Every game has "art"

Why don't you drop the coy roseary and call it what it is...Graphics. Wii dosen't have very good graphics and therefore the games aren't very pleasing to the eye. is that what you're getting at. Becuse that "art" comment makes no sence what so ever becaue every game has art even those on DS and PSP.

No, the graphics arguement wouldn't work.  One word:  Blizzard.  Crappy graphics, awesome art direction.  Nintendo themselves pull this off as well.  Art is in every game, yes.  But would you say that Shadow of the Colossus had equal art as Cooking Mama?  I don't think so. 

OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OceanLeet
[QUOTE="OceanLeet"][QUOTE="Kev_Unreal"]

Kev_Unreal

Curse youuuuuuu!! :lol: :)

hey, at least it's a better understanding of "art".:P

lol.  I concede defeat.  This thread can now die.  I was just so bored...

:lol: 

Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kaosed
[QUOTE="Kaosed"][QUOTE="OceanLeet"][QUOTE="proof11102"][QUOTE="Kaosed"]

on topic-im 50 50

OceanLeet

Gears of War would be in the "both" category. It's got a great artistic direction, while the gameplay mops the floor with ANYTHING on the Wii right now. The Wii has the capacity to have great gameplay, but the games are....meh. But just so you know, I'm not a sheep nor have I ever been. I like the Wii, but I'm very quick to bash it for the games and lack of online. Out of all of the consoles, the PS3 is my fav, but it's a rediculous $600 :( (yes, i have the money. no, a game machine isn't worth that)

agree, i would recomend to copy this your first thread to avoid future flaming 

m0rphl1ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 m0rphl1ng
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts
Motorstorm is fun
so are alot of PSN games