Are you planning on buying VR?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Are you planning on buying VR? (65 votes)

Yes 48%
No 34%
A Bonus Option 18%

Hello, after much thinking about it (via the brain) lots of contemplation and meditation, i'v decided I will purchase Valves VR, as Valve are a trust worthy company and most Source/Source 2 powered games will support it.

Has anyone else made up their (incredible) minds as to if they will purchase this technologist head strap thing?

• 
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

No immediate plans, but I would love to give it a try.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

You shouldn't be asking whether people are willing to buy it. You should be asking whether people can see themselves wearing a headset every time they game from now. The former leads to short time initial success (like the Wii). The latter will ensure the long term survivability of VR in the industry.

In my opinion, certain VR products, be it Oculus, Valve or Morpheus might be successful, due to marketing or novelty. The concept of VR for gaming in the long run, will not.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#3 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

No immediate plans, but I would love to give it a try.

This shall be my answer as well.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Nah

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Probably not for a while.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner

@jhcho2 said:

You shouldn't be asking whether people are willing to buy it. You should be asking whether people can see themselves wearing a headset every time they game from now. The former leads to short time initial success (like the Wii). The latter will ensure the long term survivability of VR in the industry.

In my opinion, certain VR products, be it Oculus, Valve or Morpheus might be successful, due to marketing or novelty. The concept of VR for gaming in the long run, will not.

Who's to say, really man. It could end up another short term gimmick, but if done well it may have the potential to take off. If the initial push is successful and VR sticks around for a bit, these headsets will only continue to reduce in size until eventually wearing them won't even be an issue.

One day we might look back and find it funny that we were staring at rectangular light boxes to play our games.

It could go either way, I think it's a bit premature to write it off completely.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

VR = the new casual FAD i love this crap

lets bring VR back remmeer virtual boy and all that crap its back

i dunno if its the causals or who is doing this VR race but it reminds of the wii mote/kinect/ps move race we just had and i wish thta crap would just die alrdy plz VR is nother crap fad stop hyping it

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@jhcho2 said:

Who's to say, really man. It could end up another short term gimmick, but if done well it may have the potential to take off. If the initial push is successful and VR sticks around for a bit, these headsets will only continue to reduce in size until eventually wearing them won't even be an issue.

One day we might look back and find it funny that we were staring at rectangular light boxes to play our games.

It could go either way, I think it's a bit premature to write it off completely.

I could just as easily flip the argument and ask - till the day that happens, why should we even care? And if we're expected to support a product just because of what it might become in the future, then technically, the product isn't quite ready yet. And if the product is indeed ready now, why did we not support it 15 years ago? I think that most people are gonna judge it based on what it is now, not what it will become later.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@jhcho2 said:

I could just as easily flip the argument and ask - till the day that happens, why should we even care? And if we're expected to support a product just because of what it might become in the future, then technically, the product isn't quite ready yet. And if the product is indeed ready now, why did we not support it 15 years ago? I think that most people are gonna judge it based on what it is now, not what it will become later.

maybe because it ran at 3 fps and with 5 polygons

besides it was more than 20 years ago

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ProtossX said:

VR = the new casual FAD i love this crap

lets bring VR back remmeer virtual boy and all that crap its back

i dunno if its the causals or who is doing this VR race but it reminds of the wii mote/kinect/ps move race we just had and i wish thta crap would just die alrdy plz VR is nother crap fad stop hyping it

how can you compare vr combined with early nineties tech with todays tech. 3d gaming hardly even begun yet back then. Not to mention everyone was using tubes for screens.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner

@jhcho2 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@jhcho2 said:

Yeah, not sure if we're on the same page here man.

All I'm saying is that it could go either way as opposed to you saying that it's destined to be doomed.

I'm not saying that the product is ready or not, unfortunately I haven't tried it. Have you?

Maybe you misunderstood me. By saying that the technology would improve (as technology always does) I wasn't saying the the technology is not already good as it stands.

Guess I've just been around for a while, I'm not too quick to write anything off. I remember when people thought home consoles would remain niche until their early demise. And that home consoles would never catch up to arcades in popularity or graphics haha. I remember when people thought that 3d graphics would have no place in gaming. Not too long ago I had people barking at me for saying that game streaming might be the future. Well, that future doesn't seem so impossible now.

Again man, it's just too early to call it.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Steam > All

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

If its supported with good games..

Yes.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50547 Posts

No

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#15 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

it's kinda like 3D in the "cool, but don't care" category. I won't bother with it until it's contacts l can wear in my eyes.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#16 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Probably not.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No, already get motion sickness on most first person shooter...VR won't even be worth it for me..cause with 10 seconds I'd be vomitting all over...even if I don't get motion sickness..the thing is waay too big..maybe when they reduce to size of normal glasses. :P

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Nah

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

I tend to agree with this.

Personally, all I care for VR at this point is Star Citizen. I think it'll be worth that investment alone, and if it grows from there then all the bonus. I'm not expecting it to become a core component of gaming, nor would I really want it to be. An ancillary benefit at best, and optional is where I want it to stay.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I plan on owning such a device when I feel like the price is right, and there are games that supports it that I want to play.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

Are you planning on buying VR?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

I tried The Oculus Rift about a year ago.

The disconnection between my various senses, only ended up detracting from immersion. On the bright side, it taught me just how important the sense of touch really is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Nope, I prefer AR

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22631 Posts

It's impossible for me to jump into something like that at the start, after the way motion gaming was handled... Lots of promises, little delivery.

I'll wait and let them prove it's worth first.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

4K Master Race>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VR peasants

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

It depends on price. Yoshida stated recently that price was not a driving force around development and reminds that prices come down through out time. That doesn't sound like Morpheous could be cheap.

Hololens pricing is anyone's guess but Microsoft hinted that they want it to be obtainable. I'm in as long as I don't have to sell a kidney.

Oculus Rift seems to be the universal player but doesn't do anything for me at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It would have to have something spectacular to go along with it. I don't care that it seems to strip the 2 player coop option away--or it will be very expensive. On the other hand, a 2 player Resident Evil - ish game seems like it would benefit from the tech.

..........will say it every time but I'd rather have holograms on the table.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Day 1.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ConanTheStoner

@Heirren said:

Ha, guessing you played Time Traveler? I remember being in disbelief when I first saw that game. So disappointed that stuff like that never took off. It was a shit game for sure, but the tech was so impressive at the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I came real close to buying an Oculus dev kit. My biggest concern is the resolution and not getting the "looking through a screen door" effect because of 1080p. I will more than likely buy in Day 1. I'm a sucker for new stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Heirren said:

Ha, guessing you played Time Traveler? I remember being in disbelief when I first saw that game. So disappointed that stuff like that never took off. It was a shit game for sure, but the tech was so impressive at the time.

I was an arcade kid for awhile. I don't remember the names of the games, there were a few--I more remember the effect and the big white cabinet. I suppose with how stale popular game design has become that I'd rather see Mario Jumping around on a coffee table.

***times have changed. Just thinking back to how young I was in the arcades; that stuff wouldn't fly in this day and age. Children are babied. Ahhhhhhh.....you got me thinking about the old retail Nintendo sections. Something about their choice of shape and color.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Why not? is not that expensive!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:

Why not? is not that expensive!

I believe the young people (the young people) think it is cool to present themselfs as anti-everything whenever a hip new product arrives on the floor.

So far Valves VR has eradicated motion sickness and appears currently, widely praised as being the best thing ever invented.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I gave in to the hype as a kid with the Virtual Boy and was very disappointed. I'm still a little bit interested but I have to try it first before buying one of those new VR's.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Nah...I'll wait until they perfect it, then consider it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#36 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Nah. And to piss of TC, Valve sucks.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

Nah...I'll wait until they perfect it, then consider it.

Same. For now I see no point in spending a bunch of money for a device that probably can't make a huge difference(like ground-breaking) in how games are played.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I would have to try it before I buy it.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Possibly, would depend on how its applied. And by possibly I mean OR, I just can't believe that the PS4 is going to be powerful enough to run Sony's without it being a vomit inducing mess or looking like it was 1995.

But hey we'll see.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

No, not really interested in it at this piont. Most likely, in its early stages VR will be a novelty and not much else.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

No, I don't like the thought of having screens that close to my eyes.

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Nah. And to piss of TC, Valve sucks.

When it comes to making games post 2013, they really suck.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

Not for a few years. But eventually (if it gets wide support) most likely yes.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Probably 8-10 years from now.... and thats if it has lots of support and content

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

AR>VR

Definitely interested in hololense

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Depends really. If Valve does announce Portal 3 and newer games to be compatible with their headset I may very well cave. It ultimately depends on the price.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

No, I think it's pretty pointless just like 3D TVs and 3D movies.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

It really depends on the games and the pricing for me. I'm really interested in the VR tech but I'm not going to spend more than $200 and the software has to be intriguing. Examples being a deep sea ship wreckage exploration or other planetary adventure.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

Voted bonus option. I will be picking up a Hololens.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Yes I intend to get VR for one reason only, Star Citizen :)

I'll want to try different head sets before I dive in though.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Yes, but I'll wait.

I'll build my next rig in 2016, the VR Machine.