Are Witcher and Dragon Age aspiring to be Skyrim?

• 88 results
Posted by uninspiredcup (8888 posts) 4 months, 3 days ago

Poll: Are Witcher and Dragon Age aspiring to be Skyrim? (58 votes)

Yes 100% no qeastion about it. It's not even a qeastion when you think about it. Of course it has, no need for a poll, this is factually based based specifically based on fact. 22%
No, of course not 55%
John Goodman still alive at least. Very powerful liver. 22%

My friends, recently I brought up the concept that both the Witcher and Dragon Age through design change are aspiring to be Skyrim.

Originally, Dragon Age was marketed as a CRPG style game. Then, with Dragon Age 2, it became an action console game. Then, with Dragon Age 3, is appears to be an open world action game.

The Witcher, originally a click based state style RPG. Moved on to being a Fable style console action game with 2. And now, is an out and out open world game.

Is it really wrong to claim that this is primarily due to Skyrim? It seems incredibly obvious this is the reason.

Opinions are required.

#1 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

I'm not your friend.

#2 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29373 posts) -

I think The Witcher 3 should start by aspiring to be a good game. The series hasn't had much success in that department.

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (8888 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

I think The Witcher 3 should start by aspiring to be a good game. The series hasn't had much success in that department.

I would agree with this. It's not a bad game or series but the praise it gets as if it's some godly entity is somewhat baffling.

This is primarily due to the like of the company rather than the game. It seems.

#4 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10588 posts) -

Elder Scrolls should aspire to be The Witcher in my eyes.

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13591 posts) -

Its too early to say, lets wait until any bugs and terrible gameplay occur then we'l decide.

#6 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Nein.

#7 Posted by Zelda187 (937 posts) -

Why not?

Hell, I'll personally never understand how the hell anyone could prefer Oblivion over Skyrim (even with mods).

Morrowind? Sure, I get that.

But Oblivion? LOL, get the fuck outta here.

I have high hopes for The Witcher 3. But after the utter disaster that Dragon Age 2 turned out to be...I just can't get super excited about it. And I sure as fuck won't put it into the same category as Morrowind or Skyrim until it proves me otherwise.

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (30407 posts) -

Is it really wrong to claim that this is primarily due to Skyrim? It seems incredibly obvious this is the reason.

It's morally wrong.

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (30407 posts) -

It's morally wrong.

#10 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3564 posts) -

Nope . All of them are open world but they are focusing on different elements . I really love all of those franchises though (except Dragon Age 2) . The Elder Scrolls series is about exploration , unlimited quests , and huge landscapes where , there is always something new to see.

You don't play TES , you live in it . While Witcher 3 on other hand is basically Witcher 2 in open world . Their main focus is the storyline and ending the trilogy with this big chapter . As for Dragon Age , I am not sure . 1st one was great and 2nd was meh . Inquisition looks great so far but I don't trust Bioware anymore . It seems they are focusing way too much on "sex" and less on gameplay .

#11 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6200 posts) -

That's one thing I'm slightly worried about with Witcher 3... They keep raving on about how big the world is, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

I want it to be a Witcher game, not Skyrim (which I never really got in to).

#12 Posted by Krelian-co (11155 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

#13 Posted by Vecna (3394 posts) -

Great developers would be ignorant not to take inspiration from one another when it works. This does not mean that they are attempting to clone another game.

#14 Posted by SimplyFatal (1103 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

I'm not your friend.

#15 Posted by Pffrbt (6564 posts) -

I don't think anything should aspire to be completely broken and shallow.

#16 Edited by blangenakker (2377 posts) -

Skyrim didn't create sandbox gaming

#17 Posted by silversix_ (14779 posts) -

They are for sure but i don't think neither will be as casuals and hollow as Skyrim was (especially TW3 cuz its CDPR motherf*cker!)

#18 Posted by musalala (2222 posts) -

Well bioware point blank said they were looking at skyrim when making Inquisition

http://www.wired.com/2011/12/dragon-age-3/

“We’re checking [Skyrim] out aggressively. We like it. We’re big admirers of [Bethesda] and the product,” he said. “We think we can do some wonderful things.”

Dragon Age II, which BioWare released earlier this year for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, drew polarized reactions from both critics and fans. While some lauded its character development and writing, others, including Wired.com,criticized the game for feeling rushed and disjointed.

#19 Edited by heguain (665 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

I'm not your friend.

@R3FURBISHED said:

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (8888 posts) -

@musalala said:

Well bioware point blank said they were looking at skyrim when making Inquisition

http://www.wired.com/2011/12/dragon-age-3/

“We’re checking [Skyrim] out aggressively. We like it. We’re big admirers of [Bethesda] and the product,” he said. “We think we can do some wonderful things.”

Dragon Age II, which BioWare released earlier this year for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, drew polarized reactions from both critics and fans. While some lauded its character development and writing, others, including Wired.com,criticized the game for feeling rushed and disjointed.

I've been proven right once again.

This is getting repetitive.

#21 Posted by Sollet (7392 posts) -

Because they are all open world rpgs?

#22 Edited by parkurtommo (27208 posts) -

Fuck everyone who thinks Skyrim was bad lol.

Yes, everyone should aspire to be Skyrim, as long as they don't sacrifice their uniqueness at the same time. I think, that building a believable open world is pretty much the very best thing that video games can do at this point. Open world games have been the games to provide me with the most fun.

#23 Edited by 7MDMA (314 posts) -

Skyrim on console was bad. Vanilla Skyrim on PC is bad. The game is dated in that state especially in terms of graphics. Modded Skyrim is the best open world RPG you can play along with modded New Vegas (less open world but better RPG.)

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (58078 posts) -

No, they're just taking cues from Skyrim. It's how things evolve, by taking cues from each other.

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (8888 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

Fuck everyone who thinks Skyrim was bad lol.

Yes, everyone should aspire to be Skyrim, as long as they don't sacrifice their uniqueness at the same time. I think, that building a believable open world is pretty much the very best thing that video games can do at this point. Open world games have been the games to provide me with the most fun.

But Skyrim was bad. Playing as a Rogue might as well be typing "god mode" into the console.

Shockingly shocking.

#26 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13591 posts) -

@parkurtommo

Some people like great games and other people like Skyrim... I can totally respect that. Sorry if we upset you.

#27 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

Witcher > Skyrim > Bunch of other crap >Dragon Age

#28 Edited by intotheminx (702 posts) -

I'm not a huge fan of The Witcher 2. I liked the first one by miles more. The Witcher 3 looks beautiful, but I'm afraid it's going to be The Witcher 2 in a larger world. To answer the question; I doubt they are copying and pasting. I will admit they probably drew inspiration from Skyrim.

#29 Edited by jg4xchamp (48303 posts) -

Dragon Age is aspiring to to be boredom fuel.

Witcher is aspiring to be The Witcher 2, but BIGGER.

#30 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

I think Witcher 3 is aspiring to be modern Gothic 2 to be honest

#31 Edited by Dasein808 (531 posts) -

I played all of the ES games through Morrowind.

I haven't touched it since they first decided to take the series to consoles with Morrowind and since they can't be assed to make an actual PC UI and not a hideous consolized radial menu system with oversized graphics.

Apart from the UI travesty of the Witcher 2, I'd have to say that no, it's not trying to be Skyrim. Maybe Skyrim didn't do this, but I pretty much gave up on Bethesda after the sour taste left by Morrowind.

The ES games have always had the same problem since Daggerfall: It's entirely too easy to become a demigod and eliminate any challenge that the game may have once offered.

In Daggerfall, I remember being able to walk out of a dungeon, re-enter it, and re-loot the exact same chests for a new batch of random treasure.

I seem to recall Morrowind "fixing" this problem by making it so that none of the merchants could afford to buy the most valuable loot; unless you found the "Mud Crab."

Brilliant.

To this point, none of the Witcher games seem to have suffered from such short sighted game design.

#32 Edited by KungfuKitten (21128 posts) -

Reading the Witcher books the world is so different from Skyrim, it has plenty material and vibe to make it its own thing. I feel this was only a natural evolution of the series. I don't think that if Skyrim was never made, that they would not have gone this route. But I am sure they have played Skyrim too and will try to improve on Bethesda's execution of an open world game, who are a lot more experienced than Project RED at making open world games. It would be stupid to ignore the works of the experienced.

Their next game will also be open worldish, so this is probably good practice.

#33 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7478 posts) -

No.

#34 Edited by Alcapello (953 posts) -

Witcher trying to be like souls, dragon age trying to be like witcher, skyrim trying to be like fallout.

#35 Posted by Dasein808 (531 posts) -
@alcapello said:

Witcher trying to be like souls

The Witcher books and the original game both predate Demon Souls or any of the other Souls games...

#36 Posted by parkurtommo (27208 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@parkurtommo

Some people like great games and other people like Skyrim... I can totally respect that. Sorry if we upset you.

Or you can like great games and Skyrim.

#37 Posted by Vatusus (4675 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I would agree with this. It's not a bad game or series but the praise it gets as if it's some godly entity is somewhat baffling.

This is primarily due to the like of the company rather than the game. It seems.

It was praised when it was a PC exclusive. Now that is on consoles aswell, its trash... PC fanboys are just like any other fanboys, a bunch of hypocrites

#38 Edited by pyro1245 (845 posts) -

Well the Witcher has always been about the story, and it actually has a good one. Skyrim was more about being a sandbox.

As for Dragon Age, well that could go either way. I haven't looked at much of the Inquisition stuff.

I'm gonna say no. There are lots of open-world games that could be described as like Skyrim but I don't think any of them are trying to be like Skyrim.

#39 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13591 posts) -

@parkurtommo

Skyrim + Great = Error 404.

statement does not compute.... Please enter a valid statement. :p

#40 Posted by Alcapello (953 posts) -

@Dasein808 said:

@alcapello said:

Witcher trying to be like souls

The Witcher books and the original game both predate Demon Souls or any of the other Souls games...

Souls own witchers

#41 Edited by Dasein808 (531 posts) -
@alcapello said:

Souls own witchers

K.

Different games with their own merits and problems, imo, but in no way are the Witcher games emulating the Souls series.

#42 Posted by parkurtommo (27208 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@parkurtommo

What's not to like about Skyrim? Huge world, immersive landscapes, intense weather, really beautiful ambient music, hundreds of activities, complete freedom.

The only complaint you can make is that there aren't enough RPG aspects, that seems to be the main complaint rgarding Skyrim. But I don't understand why genre restrictions should etermine the quality... of anything.

It's a good game. does everything a game should do; takes you away from reality.

#43 Posted by uninspiredcup (8888 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

It was praised when it was a PC exclusive. Now that is on consoles aswell, its trash... PC fanboys are just like any other fanboys, a bunch of hypocrites

A very good point my friend.

#44 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13591 posts) -

@parkurtommo

Its overly ambitious and each one of its game mechanics are shallower than Cow Clicker.

I was also impressed by all those things... For 1 hour. A game needs a whole lot more than that if it plans to sustain someone (who has no problem with reality) for longer than one hour. A game needs depth, not width.

#45 Posted by Krelian-co (11155 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@parkurtommo

oh look the narutard spamming that you can't like games he doesn't like as always- thanks for telling him he can't think something is great without your permission narutard.

#46 Posted by Alcapello (953 posts) -

@Dasein808 said:
@alcapello said:

Souls own witchers

K.

Different games with their own merits and problems, imo, but in no way are the Witcher games emulating the Souls series.

Well they hinted at it at E3 during the gameplay demo.

Something about combat moves if i'm not mistaken.

#47 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13591 posts) -

@Krelian-co

I never said that. Nobody has been more vocal about defending people's rights to like crap more than I have. People are suppose to like crap like Skyrim. Thats their choice !

#48 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8113 posts) -

Fallout New Vegas >>>>>>>>> All those games.

#49 Edited by adamosmaki (9645 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

#50 Posted by parkurtommo (27208 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@parkurtommo

Its overly ambitious and each one of its game mechanics are shallower than Cow Clicker.

I was also impressed by all those things... For 1 hour. A game needs a whole lot more than that if it plans to sustain someone (who has no problem with reality) for longer than one hour. A game needs depth, not width.

Hey, if it worked, it wasn't too ambitious.

I'm not one to judge things by their depth, but rather the enjoyement that I get from them. I enjoyed Skyrim, therefor it is a good game. In the same manner that I enjoy Mount & Blade Warband (much more deep and complicated RPG with strategy elements).

Some games are just more than the sum of it's parts. It's not worth nitpicking on how Skyrim has terrible melee combat, or that they use voice actors for many characters, or that there are many gitches, none of that matters if it's captivates the player regardless.