Are we being too hard on Watchdogs?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by uninspiredcup (8309 posts) 4 months, 23 days ago

Poll: Are we being too hard on Watchdogs? (102 votes)

It's a great game deserving of love 9%
It's an imperfect game but still very good 43%
It's ok, nothing more. 26%
It's a fucking turd 16%
At least Assasins Creed 3 had a cool theme tune 6%

It seems Watchdogs is getting much hate in gameplay terms as well as visuals and performance.

Does it deserve it? Will someone post that youtube video? Probably.

#1 Posted by Shmiity (5100 posts) -

It's an average sandbox game that's definitely having some quality assurance problems on older consoles. I'm guessing you've seen that video of that guy shitting on the game and showing some pretty embarrassing glitches.

My opinion is that it is really boring. It's so repetitive... the driving sucks, the shooting sucks, the hacking isn't that cool. The game is meh.

#2 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11599 posts) -

Gamers make for terrible critics..... So it doesn't really matter now does it ?

All I can say is what we think about Watch Dogs is irrelevant.

#3 Posted by bezza2011 (2409 posts) -

It may be an ok game in some respects, hacking is something new, but overall it's probably thee worst sandbox game to come out in next gen to date and beats nothing from last gen, there is nothing inspiring about this game, the mechanics are awful, the AI is bad, it isn't very fluid and it gameplay is outdated, of course you can enjoy it for what it is, if you can push all this aside and see the great amount of mini games on the side, but then you look at the game in daylight and realize how bad the graphics really are from what we've had in the past couple of years.

#4 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6777 posts) -

I drove a truck through a outdoor cafe and watched tables, umbrellas and people go flying. The game has my heart.

#5 Posted by Heirren (16851 posts) -

It is the only open world game to hold my attention since Vice City. Played San Andreas for a bit, played GTA4, tried Assassins Creed----all snooz fests. Watch Dogs has some issues, but I think people expected GTA with an extra "feature". It doesn't really play like gta--yet to try gta5--but it really feels like the first game to offer a level of choice.

#6 Edited by mjorh (740 posts) -

It's a great game and i believe some technical issues have clouded ppl's judgment , they have the excuse of "not being E3 2012" , i think they've expected more of a GTA-clone game which is frustrating...

In the topic below 90% of comments are "i'm enjoying" , you wouldn't be enjoying a game unless it's great so ....

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/am-i-the-only-one-enjoying-watch-dogs-so-far-31299005/#127

#7 Posted by OhJayDubya (1142 posts) -

The backlash is deserved! Don't show a demo of the game that you can't live up to and if you do expect there to be consequences for it.

#8 Posted by mjorh (740 posts) -

It may be an ok game in some respects, hacking is something new, but overall it's probably thee worst sandbox game to come out in next gen to date and beats nothing from last gen, there is nothing inspiring about this game, the mechanics are awful, the AI is bad, it isn't very fluid and it gameplay is outdated, of course you can enjoy it for what it is, if you can push all this aside and see the great amount of mini games on the side, but then you look at the game in daylight and realize how bad the graphics really are from what we've had in the past couple of years.

Define "worst" ! Define "next-gen" ! , how mechanics are "awful" ? the driving sucks yeah but it's just that , i'd appreciate an elaboration of how mechanics are "awful" ! , AI is"bad" yet u can't escape the goddamn cops !, how the gameplay is "outdated" ?

I don't how u can enjoy a game with "awful" mechanics , "outdated" gameplay and "bad" graphics !

#9 Edited by delta3074 (18099 posts) -

Love the game, screw people complaining about it because of the Graphics, although not as good looking as GTA5 the graphics are reasonably good ( i am playing the 360 version) The Gunplay is solid and the Hacking is amazing Because the NPC's actually React to what you down which is hilarious i am thoroughly enjoying this game and it's actually dragged me away from my Tablet back to my Xbox so it's all good.

#10 Edited by delta3074 (18099 posts) -

@mjorh said:

It's a great game and i believe some technical issues have clouded ppl's judgment , they have the excuse of "not being E3 2012" , i think they've expected more of a GTA-clone game which is frustrating...

In the topic below 90% of comments are "i'm enjoying" , you wouldn't be enjoying a game unless it's great so ....

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/am-i-the-only-one-enjoying-watch-dogs-so-far-31299005/#127

i am so glad this game isn't a GTA clone, GTA is Great but this game has so much more going for it in the Gameplay features department.

#11 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1959 posts) -

@mjorh said:

i am so glad this game isn't a GTA clone, GTA is Great but this game has so much more going for it in the Gameplay features department.

Having not played, i can't speak, but GTA clone seems to be most reviwers opinion.

At first, the game looked like a hacking/stealth open world game, but in the end, it turned into a GTA type game with the car stealing, pursuits, races, crazy powered weapons like grenade launchers, assassin's creed movement and some random mini-games. With the hacking part beign a smaller"gimmick" to change it up.

#12 Edited by delta3074 (18099 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@mjorh said:

Having not played, i can't speak, but GTA clone seems to be most reviwers opinion.

At first, the game looked like a hacking/stealth open world game, but in the end, it turned into a GTA type game with the car stealing, pursuits, races, crazy powered weapons like grenade launchers, assassin's creed movement and some random mini-games. With the hacking part beign a smaller"gimmick" to change it up.

It really isn't like that, the Hacking in Watchdogs is Far from being a smaller gimmick to change things up, the whole game actually revolves around the hacking, even stealing the cars with setting off the alarms is a hacking skill,raising bridges, barriers and changing traffic lights to defeat chasing enemies.

Basically Hacking comes into EVERY aspect of the game be it Driving, Combat or stealth.

How you approach each challenge is up to you, you can go in all guns blazing (the hardest but fastest option) or you can stealth your way around (medium hard, medium speed) or you can completely hack a building jumping from Camera to Camera without even entering the building in the first place (easisest but by far the slowest option)

#13 Edited by remiks00 (1802 posts) -

I wouldn't say people are being too hard on it personally. I think Watch Dogs needs to be a lesson to all AAA devs who use target renders to reveal their games these days. People will bitch and complain if it doesn't hit the mark. I'd thought they would have learned from Killzone 2.., Aliens Colonial Marines, Far Cry 3, etc.

Personally, I'm more upset about the performance than the graphics. They didn't learn anything from ACIV.(PC version)

#14 Posted by McStrongfast (4270 posts) -

While they sure laid it on thick and didn't exactly discourage speculation and hope for what I thought it'd be like due to them evoking presumptions that it'd be more than it was, it's also my own fault for being gullible enough to get sucked in by it.

For instance in that one demo where Aiden sneaks up on a crime about to happen, lacking context of how that fits into the game, you try to fill in the blanks, and when previews are talking about things like morality and emergent gameplay, you fill in the blanks with stuff influenced by that. So I expected those scenarios to be more detailed, nuanced and organic then they turned out to be. They're scripted events abiding by a fairly strict ruleset, surfaced by a notification in the HUD, then you go to the waypoint, shoot the perp dead or beat them unconscious and leave them lying in the street. I guess technically you can just scare them off, but that's not what the game wants you to do. And it punishes you for not letting the situation escalate, which is kind of weird. I suppose one of the ideas with the crime% meter is that you're not sure if things will turn violent or not, but they always do, and you are. There's a lot of interesting things you could do around the ideas in Watch Dogs, and kudos to them for having a look at it, because just thinking about it it seems like most of those things are incredibly tricky to execute in an interesting way that doesn't make the game frustrating to play, but...

...tl;dr
I expected more of an emergent, reactive simulation, got more of a Ubisoft open world game.

#15 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25154 posts) -

I don't think anyone who has the game are being too hard on it.

There were HIGH expectations for this game. When people saw it for the first time at E3 2012 everyone flipped out. It was single handedly the best game of the show and at the time many were saying that was a game running on Next Gen Hardware. The Hype Train was set.

Remember that Advertisement where the poster said "2 months is enough time to visit Los Santos?" That was a clear attack on GTAV and Ubisoft was ready. They were pretty much saying that this game was going to be bigger than GTAV. But then Delays happen and then the videos started showing up and now we're getting a clearer picture that everything we hoped for and saw back in 2012 was just a big lie.

I'm waiting for my Pre-ordered WiiU copy (if it even comes), but everything I've seen so far just seems so laughable that they even considered to be on Par with GTA.

#16 Edited by Heil68 (43974 posts) -

I'm liking the game thus far and that's all I care about.

#17 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1959 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@delta3074 said:

@mjorh said:

It really isn't like that, the Hacking in Watchdogs is Far from being a smaller gimmick to change things up, the whole game actually revolves around the hacking, even stealing the cars with setting off the alarms is a hacking skill,raising bridges, barriers and changing traffic lights to defeat chasing enemies.

Basically Hacking comes into EVERY aspect of the game be it Driving, Combat or stealth.

How you approach each challenge is up to you, you can go in all guns blazing (the hardest but fastest option) or you can stealth your way around (medium hard, medium speed) or you can completely hack a building jumping from Camera to Camera without even entering the building in the first place (easisest but by far the slowest option)

Like i said, i haven't played it yet, but from what i've seen, it's "press x to hack" and lift a bridge, change the lights, cameras, make a train move in a different direction. Hacking just doesn't seem to have the level fo depth i was hoping.

But again, this is only from my overall research. It's definitely a must play, so i'll either rent it or buy when it's cheaper just to be safe. If i'm proven wrong then, awesome. Just pulling away for now, like i did with Dark Souls 2. Afterall, i am hoping for the best. Also, waiting on some potential mods on PC.

#18 Edited by pelvist (4718 posts) -

I think peoples expectations where too high. The game is great, not perfect but then no game is.

#19 Posted by farrell2k (5857 posts) -

I think we're being too easy on your threads...

#20 Posted by Draign (692 posts) -

You guys are way too hung up on graphics. I just wish I could randomly punch people in the mouth, in this game.

#21 Posted by Boddicker (2691 posts) -

It's just a GTA clone with a gimmick. And a lame soundtrack.

What's not to be disgusted at?

#22 Edited by Roler42 (699 posts) -

No

#23 Edited by Telekill (4516 posts) -

Between working 12 hour shifts and family time I've had maybe two hours to play it and that was the day it came out. I don't have enough time with it to form an opinion and I'm ignoring all the hate until I can make my own decision on the game.

#24 Edited by nini200 (9697 posts) -

There were HIGH expectations for this game. When people saw it for the first time at E3 2012 everyone flipped out. It was single handedly the best game of the show and at the time many were saying that was a game running on Next Gen Hardware. The Hype Train was set.

Remember that Advertisement where the poster said "2 months is enough time to visit Los Santos?" That was a clear attack on GTAV and Ubisoft was ready. They were pretty much saying that this game was going to be bigger than GTAV. But then Delays happen and then the videos started showing up and now we're getting a clearer picture that everything we hoped for and saw back in 2012 was just a big lie.

I'm waiting for my Pre-ordered WiiU copy (if it even comes), but everything I've seen so far just seems so laughable that they even considered to be on Par with GTA.

This exactly this. Even the WiiU copy part.

#25 Posted by mems_1224 (46963 posts) -

Its a good game but its basically a modern day Assassin's Creed. The biggest problem with Ubisoft games is that they all feel similar.

#26 Posted by coasterguy65 (5927 posts) -

The game does a pretty good job of doing exactly what it was trying to do. Be a GTA clone with some added features. I personally get bored with open world repetitive mission type games, so the game is not really my thing. However, for people who like those kind of games, Watch Dogs seems to be pretty solid. The graphics are just fine, especially when you consider that it was designed to run on last gen, and current gen hardware.

#27 Edited by wolverine4262 (19237 posts) -

I wonder how many of the people in here complaining about the game have actually played it.

#28 Edited by Draign (692 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Between working 12 hour shifts and family time I've had maybe two hours to play it and that was the day it came out. I don't have enough time with it to form an opinion and I'm ignoring all the hate until I can make my own decision on the game.

Same here. I watched it more on twitch than actually playing it, and everyone is having fun. Maybe I'll have some time this weekend. I witnessed a guy slap his girlfriend after an argument and I couldnt fight him. I dont want to shoot everyone, my only gripe.

#29 Posted by madskills6117 (4023 posts) -

I've spent a few hours with it (ps4 version) and so far i'm enjoying it quite a bit. I can see myself sinking a great deal of time into it. That said I won't say people are being too hard on it though because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

#30 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7424 posts) -

Probably hard to accept that a game you looked forward too was a major flop, isn't uninspiredcup?

#31 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (470 posts) -

No I don't think people are being too hard on it. The developers came out with an unrealistically good looking game in 2012-13 E3 showing it off and saying the pc for us is the lead platform. That not only turned out to be bullshit, they completely ignored 40% of the GPU market and released a game that hasn't once been optimized outside of AMD's drivers released after the game has launched. I was really excited for this game but once again more time and effort gets put into making sure the game is functional on 10 yr old hardware then on "Our lead platform". I'm done with big publisher games on release. I'll wait a year for there games when all the DLC and the game is on for $10 as I'm sick of products releasing like this, and the lies these companies employees spew to help sell their junk. Pc lead platform my ass. Consoles and 10yr old ones were the lead platform and it's a shame they were, as it shows.

#33 Posted by drekula2 (1928 posts) -

It's not at all a bad game. But when you advertise it to be a hacker's paradise and its just GTA clone with a hacking minigame, that's really misleading and it upsets people.

#34 Posted by onewiththegame (4246 posts) -

It's good not great but I must say the city does feel alive

#35 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15986 posts) -

I'll have my own take on the matter next Monday when my new video card and free copy of Watch Dogs arrive.

#36 Edited by Gue1 (9767 posts) -

not my cup of coffee. have not played it. voted "it's ok".

#37 Edited by silversix_ (14284 posts) -

Ass Creed with guns.... no i don't think we're too hard on it

#38 Edited by remiks00 (1802 posts) -

Nailed it

I wonder how many of the people in here complaining about the game have actually played it.

#39 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13824 posts) -

It's just assassins creed without the climbing, replace the eagle nests with the ctos towers.

It's fun but nothing groundbreaking, there's a lot of let downs when it comes to the AI for me, they are dumb as all hell.

It's pretty clear this game went through development hell, it would have been interesting to see this title not have been cross gen I think that's where a lot of it's problems stem from.

#40 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11599 posts) -

@remiks00

Sweet setup... And kudos for keeping it neat and tidy.... I'm a typical gamer cliche, I'm such a slob.

#41 Posted by with_teeth26 (6122 posts) -

A lot of the hate is undeserved, its not as good as AC IV but that game was built on years of iterations before Ubi finally got it right.

I think the gameplay is very good and not nearly as derivative as people are making it out to be, the vehicular stealth/hacking aspects are pretty original as is splintercell-esque stealth in a open world setting. If you play it like GTA it'll feel like GTA but it facilitates some pretty unique play styles as well. Escaping the police by hunkering down in your car in a back alley is very cool, as are the moments when you must avoid the police scanners. Taking out a room full of guys by drawing them one by one to hackable pipes and then blowing them is hilarious fun.

I think much of the hate is coming from those who haven't played it or bandwagoners who just like hating things because everyone else does. Many people hated it before the game even came out due to the perceived downgrade which I am really fucking tired of hearing about, comparing the final product to a pre-alpha build from 2 years ago and not expecting changes is foolish and points to ignorance and unrealistic expectations on the part of those getting upset. Its not like this hasn't happened before, does no one remember early Crysis footage?

If you have legitimate gripes with the game, and not its not perfect by any means, fine, but if you are just whining without justification or about trivial bullshit (its a shitty GTA clone, the graphics were downgraded etc.) then please either play the game and form a real opinion or get a life and find something better to do with your time.

#42 Posted by magicalclick (22551 posts) -

Honestly I only care about Saint Row because I can customize my characters. The 3rd is really fun. I get to have a beefy guy with tattoos and wear a kinky suit and doing the "it feels good" complement dance. Hell, it even has furries and kinky parties. Other games feels so serious and boring.

Honestly the hacking isn't special for me. It is just another super power in tech skin. And I hated AC boring pickpocket. SR3 does it automatically just by touch. That is true master of stealing. If SR has having ability, it will just auto hack instead of doing all the micro boring management. Hell, SR3 actually has story where the girl indeed auto hack for you. And the user involved hacking mini game is a racing game, so much more fun.

Wear furry suit or kinky suit is so much more fun.

#43 Edited by wis3boi (31292 posts) -

most complaints ive seen come from people watching youtube and seeing screens

#44 Posted by Ballroompirate (22772 posts) -

Outside of technical issues there's really no reason to complain about the game, unless you're not a fan of the open world action adventure genre.

#45 Edited by cainetao11 (17341 posts) -

I'm enjoying it. Its not something I will keep and return to all that often but I am enjoying it.

#46 Edited by spike6958 (4746 posts) -

I've been enjoying it so far, but really it's just GTA with a hacking system (and by system I mean button), and the GTA side isn't as good as GTA V.

That's really it's problem, people had so much positive to say about GTA V that anything that tries something similar and but doesn't do it as well will instantly get shot down. It doesn't help that Ubisoft added a ton of fuel to that fire and hyped Watch Dogs like it was going to redefine gaming.

#47 Posted by lawlessx (46642 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@wolverine4262 said:

most complaints ive seen come from people watching youtube and seeing screens

i have to admit some of the videos im seeing is making me glad i didn't preorder. I'll be buying this in a month or so

#48 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5977 posts) -

It's not a bad game at all, and definitely worth a purchase I think, but it's just nothing new or special.

#49 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14021 posts) -

#50 Edited by lamprey263 (23525 posts) -

yup, you all have been abusing to Watch Dogs, you monsters, having sub full HD is the new "wire hangers", that goes for every other game that's been ripped apart on such grounds