Are simple RPG's better?

• 60 results
Posted by uninspiredcup (8363 posts) 2 months, 5 days ago

Poll: Are simple RPG's better? (36 votes)

Yes (I want to be a dragon) 31%
No 69%

My friends, having today re-finished Planescape Torment I feel very exhausted mentally and emotionally . Even though I am naturally very intelligent, the amount of shit going on is very hard to take in. Oh.

Has the console streamlining of games ultimately improved RPG's for the better or would you rather read 800.000 written words of text?

#1 Posted by MBirdy88 (8095 posts) -

Are you the most bi polar person in the world?

#2 Posted by lostrib (36170 posts) -

"Even though I am naturally very intelligent,"

Somehow I doubt this

#3 Edited by lostrib (36170 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Are you the most bi polar person in the world?

No, he's just a troll that throws out whatever bullshit he thinks will stick. He doesn't even take the effort to make sure all of his trolling/lies are in line with each other

#4 Posted by Aljosa23 (24878 posts) -

Though this probably is a troll thread but one isn't inherently better than the other - it all depends on the game. I would rather play Planescape Torment than Mass Effect but at the same time I'd rather play Chrono Trigger instead of Planescape Torment.

#5 Edited by jg4xchamp (47943 posts) -

Honestly I love his act, the few people that still get rustled over this is beautiful.

It's like the type of shit Sniper should have been doing, but wasn't...or is doing through an alt. Who knows.

#6 Edited by lostrib (36170 posts) -

Honestly I love his act, the few people that still get rustled over this is beautiful.

It's like the type of shit Sniper should have been doing, but wasn't...or is doing through an alt. Who knows.

at least Sniper was consistent. this guy is just all over the place

#7 Edited by uninspiredcup (8363 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

Though this probably is a troll thread but one isn't inherently better than the other - it all depends on the game. I would rather play Planescape Torment than Mass Effect but at the same time I'd rather play Chrono Trigger instead of Planescape Torment.

That's something I noticed as well. KOTOR basically has the exact same story as PS. Except stripped down and devoid of an examination or exploration. PS turns the dial to 11 and KOTOR is basically a lame pantomime plot twist. It's very overrated imo.

KOTOR 2 (which had somes of the same people working on it) is also very similar in respects. But that's still very much a good game in it's own right. Definitely leagues better than anything Bioware has made since Baldurs Gate.

#8 Edited by jg4xchamp (47943 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Eh I think it sells his renegade persona better. He's not taking on just one group, but all of them.

It gives me the impression that he just throws darts at a board filled with popular game topics/genres/platforms and just rolls with whatever it lands on.

#9 Posted by lostrib (36170 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Eh I think it sells his renegade persona better. He's not taking on just one group, but all of them.

It gives me the impression that he just throws darts at a board filled with popular game topics/genres/platforms and just rolls with whatever it lands on.

But even his persona doesn't stay consistent.

#10 Edited by HernandeZzzz (300 posts) -

"Even though I am naturally very intelligent"

Comedy gold. Give this kid his own show, already.

#11 Posted by parkurtommo (26795 posts) -

Skyrim, Mount &Blade Warband, and Dark Souls are my favorite RPGs, so I guess you could say I really don't give a shit.

#12 Posted by parkurtommo (26795 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Exactly, he has the persona of inconsistency! The wild card!

#13 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2054 posts) -

#14 Edited by Zassimick (6469 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

I don't know how some people can go about trolling or fake-boying the forums day-in and day-out and feel happy with themselves, but whatever, who am I to judge.

And on topic: depends on the game. I'm sure many simple RPGs are better than complex ones, while many complex RPGs are better than simple ones. Depends on execution and the gamer. This is of course the easy answer and I stand by it.

#15 Edited by MonsieurX (30038 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

#16 Edited by PapaTrop (919 posts) -

I think dialogue trees are lame.

#17 Edited by parkurtommo (26795 posts) -

@Zassimick: @MonsieurX:

Hehe, yeah, I was watching that exact episode yesterday which is why I used that wording.

#18 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7472 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Somehow I doubt this

#19 Posted by Krelian-co (10708 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Somehow I doubt this

#20 Edited by clone01 (24677 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Lol! I love that show.

#21 Posted by MonsieurX (30038 posts) -

@clone01 said:

Lol! I love that show.

Just finished Season 9,don't know what to do with my life anymore :(

#22 Edited by scottpsfan14 (4833 posts) -

I actually want to be a dragon, so I picked yes.

#23 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13901 posts) -

I generally prefer them for entertainment. Complex rpg's with every stat and personality trait laid out with millions of lines of dialogue can be great fun but a fucking head ache to get through "Obviously, this is my opinion." if the game itself is boring or a slow burner especially.

It really depends on the game, I'd actually love if a JRPG took a deeper look into stat building and character customization and was in the same line with a dragonquest or finalfantasy. Not necessarily something like Wizardry.

I think both of these sub genre's still have a lot to learn from each other, neither one of them is perfect.

#24 Posted by clone01 (24677 posts) -

Don't lie, TC. You're not intelligent.

#25 Edited by marinko123 (413 posts) -

Eh, it's 50/50, on one hand, morrowind is IMO much better than IV/V lore-wise and dialogue wise because it's primarily text. On the other hand, no voices limit character development/likeness. I know Garrus, Mordin, Saren, Joker, Tali, Wrex, Morrigan, souls series npcs, witcher characters would be nowhere near interesting if they didn't have voices or if they had them limited.

"Even though I am naturally very intelligent"

Your baits could catch a whale, I'll give you that :D

#26 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1104 posts) -

I want to be a dragon.

#27 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3757 posts) -

No, and with that being said, I never understood the immense love for Chrono Trigger. Great game? Sure, but it is short with nearly no replay value and one of the easiest RPG's ever. I do like the Chicken though... lol

Congrats on making a thread that is semi-intelligible I'm sure that others would agree.

#28 Posted by commonfate (12300 posts) -

No, and with that being said, I never understood the immense love for Chrono Trigger. Great game? Sure, but it is short with nearly no replay value and one of the easiest RPG's ever. I do like the Chicken though... lol

Congrats on making a thread that is semi-intelligible I'm sure that others would agree.

Chrono Trigger really doesn't have any weak areas though. Combat, story, art, music, etc are all strong. I personally wouldn't place it into any top of RPGs list but there's no doubt that it's a well made game.

#29 Edited by uninspiredcup (8363 posts) -

Bioware writing incredibly edgy.

#30 Posted by MonsieurX (30038 posts) -
#31 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3757 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom said:

Chrono Trigger really doesn't have any weak areas though. Combat, story, art, music, etc are all strong. I personally wouldn't place it into any top of RPGs list but there's no doubt that it's a well made game.

All things I completely agree with. I wouldn't personally place it at the top of any lists either. I have owned Chrono Trigger from very near release day as I have Chrono Cross (day one), and I feel Cross is far superior.

#32 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

To be honest both games actually of the exact same problem.... STAT CHECKS.

Mass Effect has them and Planes Scape has them too.

#33 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6489 posts) -

I would take a complex game with a well thought out internal logic any day.

I will play any RPG, but if it is too shallow it is never a game I will replay.

#34 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@Maddie_Larkin

But....but... Stat Checks ! :(

#35 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

sadly console gamers only like simple rpgs

#36 Posted by ominous_titan (620 posts) -

all that matters is if you enjoyed it

#37 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6489 posts) -

@Maddie_Larkin

But....but... Stat Checks ! :(

go play a PnP RPG and come back to me ;)

#38 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2993 posts) -

RPGs should be complex . If someone wants to just shoot bunch of guys and watch cutscenes then there are plenty of Action Games out there . However , that doesn't mean that devs shouldn't innovate .

There are still some RPGs out there that are complex (not as much as cRPGs like Planescape Torment but still pretty complex according to today's standards) but at the same time also have great visuals , high production values and great story telling . Sadly there are very few of them and most of so called "RPGs" are just Action Games with RPG elements and dialogues .

#39 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@Maddie_Larkin

I have nobody to play that with. :(

#40 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34145 posts) -

I don't care if a game is simple, complex, easy hard, streamlined, etc.

I just care if a game is fun.

#41 Posted by jake44 (2009 posts) -
#42 Posted by lamprey263 (23620 posts) -

I love the Shin Megami Tensei games, I wouldn't call the gameplay simple but as far as presentation goes these games have typically been simple in their presentation, be it the (in some but not all games) the 2D battle system, or the most basic basic type of corridor dungeon crawling. I can see it being maybe off-putting for some, or maybe make them feel like they're archaic. But, despite some of these elements, coming usually because of low budgets, there's still a good amount of work on the game's artistic design.

For simple gameplay RPGs, when it comes to JRPGs, I find Bravely Default to be pretty basic. There's some minor stat management but everything feels simple and once you find a class combo for your party you pretty much stick to the same strategies, and considering how long it takes to level up a job I pretty much stick to the same classes unless I really need a change.

For games like Skyrim I thought the leveling was basic and easy to understand... but that still didn't stop me from trying to exploit the stat system as much as possible. It's been a while but I think I created a system that involved alchemy, to create potions to increase enchantment and and vice versa and making armor, and repeated until basically I was creating the most powerful weapons and armor I could wear, which pretty much enhanced my offense with the bow to one shot kill everything in the game as a stealth bow sniper... yeah the game couldn't be any simpler after that.

#43 Posted by heguain (632 posts) -

You misspelled RPGs.

#44 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@lamprey263

Sometime it feels developers do that deliberately, I mean, why does it keep happening ? Usually the same way...

#45 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium

Let me guess, you're one of those "True RPG" people. Honestly I don't think theres any such thing. Theres just different types of RPGs.

#46 Edited by uninspiredcup (8363 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

sadly console gamers only like simple rpgs

Very true Murphy. Planescape Torment a very painful reminder of how much consoles, gaming media's and publishers have damaged the genre. Thank the gollys for kickstarter.

Perhaps Tides of Pandora will be as deep and profoundly profound, exposing a new generation of young people to a deep complexity they have never experienced. Very healthy for ill industry. Ill people. A sickness.

#47 Posted by faizanhd (226 posts) -

RPGs should be complex . If someone wants to just shoot bunch of guys and watch cutscenes then there are plenty of Action Games out there . However , that doesn't mean that devs shouldn't innovate .

There are still some RPGs out there that are complex (not as much as cRPGs like Planescape Torment but still pretty complex according to today's standards) but at the same time also have great visuals , high production values and great story telling . Sadly there are very few of them and most of so called "RPGs" are just Action Games with RPG elements and dialogues .

This ^

#48 Posted by faizanhd (226 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium

Let me guess, you're one of those "True RPG" people. Honestly I don't think theres any such thing. Theres just different types of RPGs.

What's the point of calling something an RPG if you are going to call every action game an RPG ?

#49 Edited by Daforsaken1 (71 posts) -

If you're more intelligent than me TC, then I'm gonna commit suicide.

#50 Posted by Revan_911 (1706 posts) -

Bioware writing incredibly edgy.

That quote is terrible.

But I love how it changes from "bad people" to "HE". Really shows that neo-Bioware writers are gay guys and tumblr women who hate straight white men. Just look at this crap. They're so far gone they thought this was funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drZdvO1rnn0