Are Remasters Really a Bad Thing?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

We're witnessing the continuation of remastered titles being released on the new systems. Some of you obviously don't like it but are they really that bad of a thing?

To me, it's just another way for the industry to supply popular or cult classic games to the new systems and potentially to those that have yet to play them. We've seen this in digital releases and also as combo packs last gen. It's not really a new practice.

With the recent announcement of Resident Evil Remake coming to other systems, I'm ecstatic. I've waited 12 years for this game to come to a PlayStation regardless that I have the Gamecube version.

You have to remember that no one is twisting anyone's arm to purchase these re-releases. People buy them because they like these games and want to play them on the newer hardware.

So if you are against them... why are you?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I wouldn't complain if the consoles had backward compatibility but they don't. Between remasters and paid features these new console are more of a joke than I ever imagined. It's a miracle you don't have to pay to stream games on PS4 to be honest.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

No, why would it be?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

There is an essence of jealousy or feeling ripped off.... you buy last years great game, and then suddenly instead of being able to play it on your £350 expensive paperweight, you then have to go out and buy its replacement for full price..... and is usually a small upgrade....

compared to say PC gaming... the system is a money milking joke. backwards compatibilty.... taken away to monetise.... what's next?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

To put it simple

Nope

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Yes. The lack of backwards compatibility is the cause of remasters.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I don't think so. People complain that companies are milking them, but no one is robbing them at gunpoint.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

No, remasters are great. Gives me a good chance to play old games I never played. And remember, you don't have to buy them.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

To put it simple

Nope

To put it even simpler.

No.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

As long as ubisoft doesn't pick up on this should be fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The remaster seems to be the new annual release/on disk dlc/micro-transaction tactic that publishers are pushing in order to make money. Video games of today are either record breaking hits or complete failures in the eyes of publishers. This is the reason why we are seeing fewer big budget games and the rise of Indie gaming. Big studios are closing left and right and companies like Square Enix are not doing themselves any favors. They are releasing a "Definitive Edition" of a game that missed it's sales targets and was labeled as a disappointment the first time around. And they wonder why they have been struggling financially.

In the end when companies lose money, we lose games. And as a gamer I don't want to see that.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bread_or_Decide

@clone01 said:

I don't think so. People complain that companies are milking them, but no one is robbing them at gunpoint.

Last gen, I didn't buy any season passes. I didn't buy any DLC. I didn't buy map packs, character skins, or any other such nonsense. I'm alive. The world moves on. Those who wanted it, bought it. Good for them. Life goes on.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:

No, remasters are great. Gives me a good chance to play old games I never played. And remember, you don't have to buy them.

I don't mind remasters/collections of older games, but it does seem a little silly when it's a remaster of a recent game like Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, or TLOU. I mean those games are only a year or two old.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

They're just the latest videogame industry boogeyman. A single game remaster at full price is a bit weak.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Simple enough! If you think is a bad idea or rip off than don't buy them. If they sell like sxht than I don't think companies will make another one!

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Alcapello

@GoldenElementXL said:

The remaster seems to be the new annual release/on disk dlc/micro-transaction tactic that publishers are pushing in order to make money. Video games of today are either record breaking hits or complete failures in the eyes of publishers. This is the reason why we are seeing fewer big budget games and the rise of Indie gaming. Big studios are closing left and right and companies like Square Enix are not doing themselves any favors. They are releasing a "Definitive Edition" of a game that missed it's sales targets and was labeled as a disappointment the first time around. And they wonder why they have been struggling financially.

In the end when companies lose money, we lose games. And as a gamer I don't want to see that.

Yay! more assassins creed when sale pick up!!

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I don't mind remasters/collections of older games, but it does seem a little silly when it's a remaster of a recent game like Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, or TLOU. I mean those games are only a year or two old.

Maybe. But it does make them available on the new consoles who didn't have them before. Definitely would be silly to release a remastered version on the same console a year or two later though.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

They are awesome.... They might get all these nostalgic whiners to shut up.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alcapello

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Maybe. But it does make them available on the new consoles who didn't have them before. Definitely would be silly to release a remastered version on the same console a year or two later though.

Ubisoft puts AC1 inclusions with AC brotherhood or what not, and if they didn't adds it to the PS4 gamers version then you just know what coming next!!

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

I care a bit that they're doing this but not enough to get pissed off about it. I'm guilty of buying remakes last gen I grabbed the gow, mgs,and shadow of the Colossus Ico remakes. But they all had multiple games in them. I'll be getting the halo mcc since I ditched the 360 right after halo3

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@clone01 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@Ballroompirate said:

To put it simple

Nope

To put it even simpler.

No.

Spread the truth, Stop the childish whining.

Crazy as it seems, I wish Nintendo would go crazy with remasters. Give us DK64 HD, OoT HD, MM HD, TP HD, Four Swords Adventure HD(with online MP), & SS HD. So many games in need of a remaster.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Between remasters and paid features these new console are more of a joke than I ever imagined.

agreed

rosko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rosko123
Member since 2006 • 556 Posts

For me it depends on the game. I really don't need Sleeping dogs remastered. However I never really got to give the Dark/Demon souls a chance so I would like a remaster of those. Hypocritical I know.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Nope not a bad thing at all.

The biggest criticism of "milking" usually comes from people who will use anything to talk shit about a consoles line-up, like people bitching about yet another Halo etc. and calling it milkage, if there's a big ass group of people who want another sequel to a franchise they love then how are they getting milked?.

Same goes for a Remaster, i own TLOU on PS3 but i never really got into it on the PS3 because i hate the DS3 and the game ran pretty poorly (noticeable cos PC gamer), but i'm absolutely loving TLOUR because it's on a console with a great pad and the performance issues are all sorted. Do i feel milked after having bought the same game twice?, not at all cos i got my entertainments worth out of it.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide

@ladyblue said:

@clone01 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@Ballroompirate said:

To put it simple

Nope

To put it even simpler.

No.

Spread the truth, Stop the childish whining.

Crazy as it seems, I wish Nintendo would go crazy with remasters. Give us DK64 HD, OoT HD, MM HD, TP HD, Four Swords Adventure HD(with online MP), & SS HD. So many games in need of a remaster.

I want mario sunshine remastered. It's the only 3D mario I've never played.

CDWJUSTIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By CDWJUSTIN
Member since 2003 • 2078 Posts

no i love them and pick them up when they are dirt cheap...

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Not a bag thing. Hopefully we see more.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

This is where PC's win hands down. The lack of BC on consoles is mind-boggling.

What if someone trades in their PS3's for a PS4 and wants to play his PS3 games from time to time?

It's not fair on the consumer. I am sure all of us still play older gen games from time to time.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

If they are done with a bit of love and are priced correctly, then I like them. The Master Chief Collection for example is fantastic I think... great value.

anerzc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 anerzc
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hello Everybody,

My name is Cathy and I am requesting some help in filling out marketing research survey for Steam users (and also some bits about remasters/reboots/remakes).

I am investigating how digital games are discovered as a part of my MBA program at the University of California Irvine and hope to gather some data from active Steam users such as the ones present on this forum.

If you wouldn't mind taking 10 minutes to fill out our survey it would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to share this link with your friends, too!

Disclaimer: I'm not a spammer, this is a survey for educational purposes only and all responses are confidential.

Thanks a lot!

Survey Link: http://survey.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5Bwfndt42ActPvf

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It would be nice if nintendo decided to do something decent with Nintendo 64 emulation on wiiu. Upscale to 1080p with widescreen support for games that allow for it, maybe even improving framerates for some games. If that counts as a remaster....

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes. They take devs, time and valuable resources away from new games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Telekill: To me, it's just another way for the industry to supply popular or cult classic games to the new systems and potentially to those that have yet to play them. We've seen this in digital releases and also as combo packs last gen. It's not really a new practice.

I see your point, but last gen they were bringing sd games to HD. Were those games last gen all that bad looking? If yes for you, then so be it. I've been gaming a long time and well, it just doesn't impress me anymore. Good or bad? Not for me to decide, but I'm not spending my money on them.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Sony fans will say remasters of Xbox games are trash milkage. But remasters of Playstation games are a gift to the gamers to extend enjoyment of classic titles.

Xbox fans will say remasters of Plauystation games are... well I think you see where this is going ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#36  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I'm complaining about them being released at full price in lieu of new titles, yes (for instance, the PS4's exclusive lineup this year, both digitally and at retail, is mostly 'remasters' from PS3. This is an issue for me).

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

Sony fans will say remasters of Xbox games are trash milkage. But remasters of Playstation games are a gift to the gamers to extend enjoyment of classic titles.

Xbox fans will say remasters of Plauystation games are... well I think you see where this is going ;)

Soooooo true.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

No, I like when my favorite games get remastered. And if you don't like them then you don't have to buy them. And they really don't take much resources for developers to make, so it's not like they are preventing new games from being made.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

They wouldn't be an issue if there were plenty of alternative options. Instead remaster after remaster. This gen is just upscaled last gen.

If they did not sell, publishers would need to put out original content! Wouldn't that be nice. Oh well, keep eating sloppy seconds. Just don't cry in a year when there are even more remastered games. Take a stand now, or suffer the consequences.

CARNAGES41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CARNAGES41
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

no

if you don't like it, don't buy it

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Yes. Instead of making a new generation of console owners rebuy their entire library, they should give them new games to play to make those $400 gimped PC's worth something.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

No I welcome them... gives smaller devs a chance to make games. Also the more games on a platform the better. Sure some can be over priced, but games dont stay at full price very long, unless they are made by Nintendo.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Not including BC in order for them to sell us last gen games with bumped up resolution is ridiculous. BC should be standard for every gaming system and remasters should only be done at least 2 gens after the game released; you know, when there's an actual improvement..

"It's not like we're forced to buy it." No, but you guys buy them anyway and make things worse for everyone by letting them know that it's acceptable. And the same people are calling for Nintendo's downfall when they're the only ones who still include BC.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Sword-Demon

No... Whats ridiculous is that its working... They Axed BC and now they are rolling in money and bitches....

I hear ya though.... Some Graphics Whore without self control is setting the tone for us..... Now we have to deal with it.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I love that so many games are getting new life on newer systems.

Can't stand people crying about it... Like really? How the hell does it affect you in a negative way?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Yes. The lack of backwards compatibility is the cause of remasters.

If the remaster was done properly, I'd rather buy a remastered version than the original. If I want to play a PS3 game that I own, I'll play it on my PS3. The lack of backwards compatibility isn't going to stop me.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

They're definitely not losing money by making a definitive edition.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#49 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

For old games like Resident Evil its okay. But when they're selling Definitive Editions of Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs at full price its a joke. You can get the definitive editions on PC for just a few bucks during the sale period. They're really taking people for a ride.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#50 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

We are at the Horse-Armor-DLC stage of remastered games. Think about that.