Are My Fellow PS4 Launchers Worried About Hardware Failure?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

As indicated in my signature, I pre-ordered the PS4 Killzone: Shadow Fall bundle. Are my fellow PS4 launch system purchasers nervous about hardware failure in light of the recent stories about failing PS4s? I'm personally not worried all that much because more than likely these are isolated incidents. However, if my PS4 fails (hopefully not), I won't freak out, but will simply go through the procedure to procure a refund or exchange. It's not as if I don't have a monster PC gaming rig that serves and will continue to serve as my main gaming machine. How about you guys?

#2 Edited by Shewgenja (7776 posts) -

Nope. Obviously, units are going out and we've had one (or two, as it turns out) reports of an issue so far. I'd say things are good on that front.

I think CoD having slow sales might help KillZone a little bit (Shooter fans might be looking for something different, be it Battlefield or KZ we will see.)

I think that until someone holds up the bottom of the PS4 to show what's causing it, "WobbleWobbleGate" is just that. (Seriously, we can count pixels but not get one accurate measurement on the bottom of a physical console?)

I think anyone expecting sunshine, puppy breath and utter perfection were a bit delusional. That being said, none of the stuff people have been ranting about today seems like anything to get worked up about, honestly.

#3 Posted by Shmiity (4960 posts) -

Definitely worried for both companies.

#4 Edited by kipsta77 (897 posts) -

Some retail units are faulty out of the box.

#5 Edited by lundy86_4 (42548 posts) -

It's INDICATED!

#6 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

It's INDICATED!

That's how I spelled it in the OP.

#7 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

I think the hardware failures of this generation of launch systems will be blown out of proportion due to the prominence of online social media sites, which weren't as popular at the beginning of the last generation as they are now. Hence, even if the failure rates are within normal ranges, they will be blown out of proportion because of the numerous YouTube videos and threads that will be made about them.

#8 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

Nope. Obviously, units are going out and we've had one report of an issue so far. I'd say things are good on that front.

I think CoD having slow sales might help KillZone a little bit (Shooter fans might be looking for something different, be it Battlefield or KZ we will see.)

I think that until someone holds up the bottom of the PS4 to show what's causing it, "WobbleWobbleGate" is just that. (Seriously, we can count pixels but not get one accurate measurement on the bottom of a physical console?)

I think anyone expecting sunshine, puppy breath and utter perfection were a bit delusional. That being said, none of the stuff people have been ranting about today seems like anything to get worked up about, honestly.

one report huh? Damn I wish I could live under a rock too.

#9 Edited by Shewgenja (7776 posts) -

@kipsta77 It toally looks like that guy is a clot. The PS4 is "retrieving data" but his TV ditches the signal. I don't know the full story, but it looks like the guy ADD'd out on his PS4 and now it's effed.

#10 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9049 posts) -

Nope... 1 day 16 hours to go.

#11 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Always worried about flaws in brand new hardware. It's smart to wait at least 6 months but i cant help it.

#12 Edited by Shewgenja (7776 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Nope. Obviously, units are going out and we've had one report of an issue so far. I'd say things are good on that front.

one report huh? Damn I wish I could live under a rock too.

Sorry, looks like two now. I've updated the post accordingly.

#13 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

CoD having slow sales might help KillZone a little bit (Shooter fans might be looking for something different or KZ we will see.)

Wait, you do realize Killzone is not something different right?

#14 Posted by TruthArisen (385 posts) -

Wonder Woman is confident.

"Not in the slightest. PS4 has proven to be rock solid, and the winner this gen. No worries here."

#15 Posted by Shewgenja (7776 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

CoD having slow sales might help KillZone a little bit (Shooter fans might be looking for something different or KZ we will see.)

Wait, you do realize Killzone is not something different right?

Well, CoD hasn't been any different all last-gen. Didn't stop it from dominating the FPS genre. I won't pretend to speak for the bro-gamers and what they are looking to move to to get their CoD fix. I left that up in the air (BF4 maybe?)

#16 Edited by lamprey263 (22298 posts) -

If you still want one then at least put money down on insurance, you're gonna have to pay for fixing if you have to send it in on manufacturer's warranty only

#17 Posted by EnviousEyezOnMe (258 posts) -

This guy was streaming live and did an update but it bricked after the update. Now he's on with tech to try and fix it. Hilarious!!

http://www.twitch.tv/hi11zones

#18 Posted by Shewgenja (7776 posts) -

This guy was streaming live and did an update but it bricked after the update. Now he's on with tech to try and fix it. Hilarious!!

You really think it's hilarious to have a console mess up? You are utter shit at being human.

#19 Edited by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

@enviouseyezonme said:

You really think it's hilarious to have a console mess up? You are utter shit at being human.

If it happens during a live stream, yes, that's pretty damn funny.

#20 Posted by XspidervenomX (292 posts) -

@Shewgenja: I think realists just want a working console, and dont post sunshine posts. Expecting it to work and comparing it to sunshine is gay. Many have reported bricking, people talk about it.

#21 Posted by EnviousEyezOnMe (258 posts) -

I'm sure everyone enjoyed X360's RROD fiasco, right? I took a break from these boards all throughout the lifespan of X360 and PS3 but I'm sure everyone had jokes back then. Oooo Karma

#22 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3214 posts) -

a small percentage of all electronics fail but playstation has never had a failure on the level or rrod. even if ur unit fails sony got your back, nothing to worry about at all

#23 Edited by SpinoRaptor24 (9996 posts) -

Sounds like fanboy reassurance to me. Though I wouldn't be surprised if either console shipped with a few problems. Wouldn't it be smart to put your fanboyism aside and wait at least half a year before making a purchase?

It's not like your missing out on anything, what with a terribly mediocre launch lineup and all.

#24 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@enviouseyezonme said:

He never should have unplugged the console when installing DCUO.

#25 Posted by JoPython52 (24 posts) -

not worried. I never win the lottery, so i expect my odds for getting a bad PS4 are about the same.

#26 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -
#27 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

A little, but only.. a little.

#28 Edited by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma said:

@Shewgenja said:

@enviouseyezonme said:

So powering down the console during a game install can brick the console? That's poor f*cking design...

#29 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3214 posts) -

Sounds like fanboy reassurance to me. Though I wouldn't be surprised if either console shipped with a few problems. Wouldn't it be smart to put your fanboyism aside and wait at least half a year before making a purchase?

It's not like your missing out on anything, what with a terribly mediocre launch lineup and all.

wait half a year for what exactly? price drops isnt going to happen and if your ps4 messes up they would provide a replacement. nothing to lose, bf4 convinced me into getting one. those graphics look pc level

#30 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@Shewgenja said:

@enviouseyezonme said:

So powering down the console during a game install can brick the console? That's poor f*cking design...

You should never physically remove the AC plug while installing anything.

#31 Edited by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@Shewgenja said:

@enviouseyezonme said:

I know, but I very much doubt doing so on my computer would cause it to not boot.

#32 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9198 posts) -

So somebody fill my in, whats happening?

All I know that KZ got a 7/10, but what else has happened ? Whats the bad news?

#33 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13685 posts) -

My launch model of the PS2 had a faulty laser disc after some use. Wouldn't be surprised if either launch console has some problem down the line.

#34 Edited by I_can_haz (6394 posts) -

Nah, I'm not worried. This isn't my 1st launch console. Yes, there are bound to be faulty ones but it's a risk we all take. I think 360's epic hardware failure made it look like buying consoles is like playing Russian Roulette. In reality it's not that risky, the probability of you buying a brick is very low. Especially since these new consoles aren't using any experimental/new tech. It's all off the shelf PC parts.

#35 Posted by blackace (19580 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef: Always worried at launch. Going to have to get 1yr warranty on both consoles.

#36 Edited by Shewgenja (7776 posts) -

@Shewgenja: I think realists just want a working console, and dont post sunshine posts. Expecting it to work and comparing it to sunshine is gay. Many have reported bricking, people talk about it.

Please quantify. Apparently, there are a lot of these out in the wild.

#37 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3214 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow: nothing has happened. lems exaggerating everything. some idiot unplugged his ps4 while it was updating so its bricked and lems claimed ownage, they have fallen that low

#38 Posted by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

Nope... 1 day 16 hours to go.

Awwww yeahhhh. Got my text tonight and she's in house. :D

#39 Edited by Evo_nine (1559 posts) -

If youre not, you should be

#40 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@PernicioEnigma said:

I know, but I very much doubt doing so on my computer would cause it to not boot.

Just an FYI, he fixed the issue. Had to remove the HDD, turn on the PS4 w/o HDD, turn off PS4, reinstall HDD and the reboot into Safe Mode. Physically unplugging the console messed up the console. Nothing new here.

#41 Posted by Evo_nine (1559 posts) -

@kipsta77 said:

Some retail units are faulty out of the box.

Does this guy represent all cows?

what a moron!

#42 Posted by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -

Sony has been pretty good with hardware stability lately, but I'm gonna get an in-store warranty just in case. Peace of mind is worth spending some extra dough.

#43 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (4991 posts) -
#44 Edited by OhSnapitz (17879 posts) -

Why? It's to be expected. Launch console's always go through growing pains before the Manufacturer figures out how not to F* things up. Just make sure you buy a warranty!

(Learned that lesson with the Dreamcast)

#45 Edited by Netret0120 (1863 posts) -

One of the main reasons i am getting my PS4 slim in 2015 when these problems are ironed out

#46 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

What I will say is that it's the year 2013 and it's so easy for a random person (like the one streaming on twitch) to go viral unlike in previous gens. The thing is though that I'm kinda worried about the cooling in the PS4 as it's got powerful hardware in such a small case with a single fairly small fan and the CPU goes to 74c. I'm sure if twitch was available in 1996 a very small minority of people would have faulty problems with the consoles of that time but I do worry about the PS4 in the next year with hardware failiures

#47 Edited by SonofK (1066 posts) -

Believe it or not I actually had a PS4 preordered. not on launch but the second wave to come on December 16th from Walmart, before Xmas. All of these issues hardware issues, the awful software and features and the lineup made me call Walmart today and cancel that shit,

#48 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

Is launch hardware. Is kinda expected that it may have some issues.

#49 Edited by Speak_Low (695 posts) -

The man who designed Knack also designed the PS4.

R U Scared?

#50 Posted by Scipio8 (608 posts) -

The bad news keep rolling in, GPU issue here

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vCRxSh5zFcw