Are high quality PC exclusives a thing of the past?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by casharmy (6829 posts) -

Last gen I was all hyped to get me a decent gaming PC to go along with my console gaming hobby.  Now back at begining of the gen there were all these  AWESOME looking PC exclusive titles (crysis, Project Ego, Huxley ect) that made it worth my while to make the investment to get a good RIG during the generation there were more high quality exclusives that came out that we were told were only possible on PC (The witcher 2?)...

Fast foward and we are entering a new generation of systems and what happended?  The vast majority of those games became vapor ware or were ported over to consoles.  The biggest thing we heard from Hermits was that, "These weak consoles aren't capable of handling (x) PC game"

Guess what hermits, they did handle them: Crysis; (never on consoles said hermits), The Witcher 2; (True PC power a console couldn't do) and now Dioblo 3 and this is on super outdated 2005 hardware.

with current gen consoles (PS4 for example) being able to pull of games like KZSF and easily able port PC games with little to no diffrence from the best PC hardware...will PC exclusives become a thing of the past?

Thoughts? 

#2 Posted by Heil68 (43996 posts) -
I think Rome TW2 and SC2 heart of the Swarm show they can be done and be very profitable.
#3 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
PC titles will always look better than their console counterparts. Happened with Crysis. Happened with Witcher 3. You can get ANY game on a console, with enough downgrades. As far as high quality exclusives? No idea. I do know though, that it's going to have more titles that were console exclusive since the consoles are going for x86.
#4 Posted by finalstar2007 (25094 posts) -

PC has high quality exclusives?

#5 Posted by BPoole96 (22792 posts) -

Are you talking high quality or high budget? As far as quality goes, there are TONS of high quality PC exclusives.

#6 Posted by MrYaotubo (2682 posts) -

Let´s see,we have Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm,Arma 3,Rome 2 Total War,Wasteland 2,Amnesia 2,Company of Heroes 2 coming this year and that´s only a small percentage of what´s coming out,not to mention the multi million budget Star Citizen next year. Yeah,they´re a thing of the past,present and future.

#7 Posted by MrYaotubo (2682 posts) -

finalstar2007
According to game reviews it seems to have more than any console out there,so yeah,I guess it does.
#8 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
To a large extent they are, but that's true of any platform. Games cost too much to make to leave potential customers on the table.
#9 Posted by locopatho (20238 posts) -
Strategy and MMO will still be there, as will indie games, simulators and so on. But "mainstream" genres like FPS, TPS, RPG, action/adventure, sports, fighters, etc, will be on consoles too.
#10 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1729 posts) -

What is your definition of quality? Are you only concerned with graphics or could I say that I find Mount&Blade wb is a higher quality game than any console game I've owned just for the fact it is a more complete gameplay package, tons of replayability and there is nothing like it on consoles.

Any game can be on any system ever if it was designed to run on that system. Killzone4 can work on the Odysse2000 if you downgrade the graphics and remove levels.

#11 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

For smaller games and indie games PC is still great for exclusives. For big games, naw PC is almost dead for big name exclusives.

#12 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

I think exclusivity might change a bit next gen. Consoles and PC next gen will be as close in architecture as they will ever be, and it would make a lot of sense to go more multiplat as developing for them is all pretty similar. And a lot of devs would like to get in on that multiplat cash. I for one would love to see a Naughty Dog game on PC. 

There are still tonnes of high quality PC games, but I think the exclusive part has gone down a bit overall. Games like Crysis and The Witcher are no longer tied to PC, further proving my point that devs want that multiplat cash, so I can see a lot more games across all platforms next gen. 

#13 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Let´s see,we have Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm,Arma 3,Rome 2 Total War,Wasteland 2,Amnesia 2,Company of Heroes 2 coming this year and that´s only a small percentage of what´s coming out,not to mention the multi million budget Star Citizen next year. Yeah,they´re a thing of the past,present and future.

MrYaotubo

Yeah, we should end this thread right here... do they appeal to your or not is subjective, but that's some quality, right there...

#14 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3186 posts) -

There are more high quality console exclusives than PC. When was the last time a PC exclusive won GOTY... 2004, and it was a generic MMORPG who won it. 2pys0vr.png

#15 Posted by Pray_to_me (2838 posts) -

Mostly RTS and MMO's. 

I don't like RTS and the only MMO I ever got into was guild wars.

And most of these games are built to run on any general computer which is why I'll never understand the need for a supercharged overpriced gaming PC. 

#16 Posted by casharmy (6829 posts) -

PC titles will always look better than their console counterparts. Happened with Crysis. Happened with Witcher 3. You can get ANY game on a console, with enough downgrades. As far as high quality exclusives? No idea. I do know though, that it's going to have more titles that were console exclusive since the consoles are going for x86.tagyhag

lol no, only M$ does that.  Sony exclusives are real exclusives that stay to that platform and that you need to buy the system for...same goes for nintendo

#17 Posted by BPoole96 (22792 posts) -

I think exclusivity might change a bit next gen. Consoles and PC next gen will be as close in architecture as they will ever be, and it would make a lot of sense to go more multiplat as developing for them is all pretty similar. And a lot of devs would like to get in on that multiplat cash. I for one would love to see a Naughty Dog game on PC. 

There are still tonnes of high quality PC games, but I think the exclusive part has gone down a bit overall. Games like Crysis and The Witcher are no longer tied to PC, further proving my point that devs want that multiplat cash, so I can see a lot more games across all platforms next gen. 

seanmcloughlin

I definitely see Planetside 2 going to PS4 since it is made by Sony Online Entertainment.

#18 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

seanmcloughlin

First-party studios almost never make multiplat titles, they're funded by console vendors, and the purpose of their games is to make the system libraries stand out and be unique. Can't accomplish that by going multiplat, so the chance of seeing Naughty Dog games on the PC is minimal at best.

Also, since the PC has no first-party developers (no one owns the PC platform), it's a bigger chance to see a PC exclusive go multiplat, than the opposite.

#19 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]PC titles will always look better than their console counterparts. Happened with Crysis. Happened with Witcher 3. You can get ANY game on a console, with enough downgrades. As far as high quality exclusives? No idea. I do know though, that it's going to have more titles that were console exclusive since the consoles are going for x86.casharmy

lol no, only M$ does that.  Sony exclusives are real exclusives that stay to that platform and that you need to buy the system for...same goes for nintendo

That's now though, if Sony can't tempt more devs to stay exclusive with enough money then they won't. they're a business at the end of the day. Look at thatgamecompany saying they wish they went multiplat with journey and their next game WILL be multiplat. Kojima is also jumping ship and going multiplat next gen, maybe not to PC we don't know that yet, but definitely not PS3 alone anymore.

The only really good exclusive Sony devs are SSM, GG and ND. And I wouldn't be surprised if they went more multiplat next gen either considering how easy it will be to port the games over

#20 Posted by millerlight89 (18471 posts) -

finalstar2007
You're still not that bright, are you?
#21 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

BPoole96

I definitely see Planetside 2 going to PS4 since it is made by Sony Online Entertainment.

I think that's already in the works. It's highly speculated and they said they couldn't do it currently because the hardware wouldn't do the scale justice so yeah I see that happening too. Not a bad diea either

#22 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Rocker6

First-party studios almost never make multiplat titles, they're funded by console vendors, and the purpose of their games is to make the system libraries stand out and be unique. Can't accomplish that by going multiplat, so the chance of seeing Naughty Dog games on the PC is minimal at best.

Also, since the PC has no first-party developers (no one owns the PC platform), it's a bigger chance to see a PC exclusive go multiplat, than the opposite.

Very true too. 

#23 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

millerlight89

You're still not that bright, are you?

He hypes every new CoD, what do you think? 

#24 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -
I think Rome TW2 and SC2 heart of the Swarm show they can be done and be very profitable. Heil68
Boom. Plus comparing the PC versions of Crysis and the console versions of Crysis is laughable.
#25 Posted by casharmy (6829 posts) -

PC titles will always look better than their console counterparts. Happened with Crysis. Happened with Witcher 3. You can get ANY game on a console, with enough downgrades. As far as high quality exclusives? No idea. I do know though, that it's going to have more titles that were console exclusive since the consoles are going for x86.tagyhag

Also you are still thinking in the past generation, The diffrence between games made on PS4 to PC will have little do no noticable diffrence.  It will be close enough to not even bother talking about the minute advantage a supped up $1000+ PC rig might have.  

Remember that the console versions will always be stable and you wont have to worry about compatibility issues and other issues those PC versions might cause...you just put the disk in and play

#26 Posted by glez13 (8769 posts) -

Not really. It will gradually have less but only because the market seems to go in that direction. The same is also happening to consoles. Only console first parties or some new PC-based studio that wants to prove itself in the industry will probably be the only ones interested in taking such risk.

#27 Posted by BPoole96 (22792 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

I think that's already in the works. It's highly speculated and they said they couldn't do it currently because the hardware wouldn't do the scale justice so yeah I see that happening too. Not a bad diea either

Definitely not a bad idea. There is nothing quite likely Planetside 2 on consoles at the moment and having a game like that out early on PS4 could be a selling point for Sony.

#28 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]PC titles will always look better than their console counterparts. Happened with Crysis. Happened with Witcher 3. You can get ANY game on a console, with enough downgrades. As far as high quality exclusives? No idea. I do know though, that it's going to have more titles that were console exclusive since the consoles are going for x86.casharmy

Also you are still thinking in the past generation, The diffrence between games made on PS4 to PC will have little do no noticable diffrence.  It will be close enough to not even bother talking about the minute advantage a supped up $1000+ PC rig might have.  

Remember that the console versions will always be stable and you wont have to worry about compatibility issues and other issues those PC versions might cause...you just put the disk in and play

Sure the console games will look better and closer to PC, but PC is still able to make them look laughable. When a game can be 1440p and 60 fps it really does make the competition look bad.

Also money only matters if you need to constantly justify spending it. Some people on PC don't care about the high costs because they feel it's worth it, plus a PC is still a really good multi purpose computer at the end of the day. In fact I spend most time on my gaming computer not even gaming 

#29 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Definitely not a bad idea. There is nothing quite likely Planetside 2 on consoles at the moment and having a game like that out early on PS4 could be a selling point for Sony.

MAG tried but... well... that kind of went down like a wet smelly fart in a packed elevator didn't it

#30 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

Well obviously not those. Exclusives are the only thing Sony can do. I mean console exclusives like Dragon's Dogma, games which are not made my a first party.
#31 Posted by BPoole96 (22792 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

MAG tried but... well... that kind of went down like a wet smelly fart in a packed elevator didn't it

MAG was so bad. From what I understand it got better post launch but I played the Beta and shortly after launch and it was just an all around awful experience. I was still sad to see Zipper get shut down a few years later though.
#32 Posted by Maroxad (8209 posts) -

And soon enough, the PC hardware will far surpass the PS4 resulting in a generational gap between them.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt Killzone 4 will look anywhere near as good as it did in the trailer.

#33 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"] Definitely not a bad idea. There is nothing quite likely Planetside 2 on consoles at the moment and having a game like that out early on PS4 could be a selling point for Sony.

BPoole96

MAG was so bad. From what I understand it got better post launch but I played the Beta and shortly after launch and it was just an all around awful experience. I was still sad to see Zipper get shut down a few years later though.

The game felt so half hearted. It got boring very very fast

#34 Posted by casharmy (6829 posts) -

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]PC titles will always look better than their console counterparts. Happened with Crysis. Happened with Witcher 3. You can get ANY game on a console, with enough downgrades. As far as high quality exclusives? No idea. I do know though, that it's going to have more titles that were console exclusive since the consoles are going for x86.seanmcloughlin

That's now though, if Sony can't tempt more devs to stay exclusive with enough money then they won't. they're a business at the end of the day. Look at thatgamecompany saying they wish they went multiplat with journey and their next game WILL be multiplat. Kojima is also jumping ship and going multiplat next gen, maybe not to PC we don't know that yet, but definitely not PS3 alone anymore.

The only really good exclusive Sony devs are SSM, GG and ND. And I wouldn't be surprised if they went more multiplat next gen either considering how easy it will be to port the games over

lol, what the hell are you talking about?  Sony owns those devs, and they are on board to promote their system if you want to play those games you have to buy the system.  What you said makes no sense and there is 0 chance of that happening sorry.

#35 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

When Sony games do 1440p and 60-120fps then I'll agree with you, because that's going to be the standard for the PC next gen. Put in the disk and play? Consoles aren't consoles anymore, they're entertainment devices. It won't be as simple as putting the disk and playing. Heck, you couldn't even do that on the PS3. I'm looking at you MGS4.
#36 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1717 posts) -

A few years from now on multiplat games PC games will say they are superior because of 4k res on their tiny monitors xD while PS4 gamers playing at 1080p will know how pointless their superiority is :lol:

#37 Posted by Lucianu (9389 posts) -

Guess what hermits, they did handle them: Crysis; (never on consoles said hermits), The Witcher 2; (True PC power a console couldn't do) and now Dioblo 3 and this is on super outdated 2005 hardware.

casharmy

The console version of Crysis suffers from heavily downgraded graphics, and doesn't even include the Warhead expansion. If you downgrade a game enough, you can make it run on a N64. 

You need to eat some healthy food for your brain to grow out of this biased, sh*tty, pathetic fanboysm. 

#38 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

casharmy

lol, what the hell are you talking about?  Sony owns those devs, and they are on board to promote their system if you want to play those games you have to buy the system.  What you said makes no sense and there is 0 chance of that happening sorry.

Yep, my bad. 

#39 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

Lucianu

The console version of Crysis suffers from heavily downgraded graphics, and doesn't even include the Warhead expansion. If you downgrade a game enough, you can make it run on a N64. 

You need to eat some healthy food for your brain to grow out of this biased, sh*tty, pathetic fanboysm. 

Not only that but it was missing an entire level too because the hardware couldn't do it

#40 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1717 posts) -

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

Lucianu

Fail.

I have crysis on both PS3 and PC. The gfx are not downgraded. It actually has a much better lighting system than Crysis retail on PC. Overall the game is 720p about medium settings.

time to eat your breakfast!!

#41 Posted by locopatho (20238 posts) -

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

Lucianu

That's some sly misdirection. Everyone knew ultra Crysis graphics couldn't be done on console. Ultra Crysis graphics can't even be done on many (most?) gaming PCs. The gameplay is fully intact on consoles (except one cut level). Which we were told was impossible. You couldn't get Crysis gameplay on an N64, no matter how much you degraded the graphics.
#42 Posted by casharmy (6829 posts) -

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]PC titles will always look better than their console counterparts. Happened with Crysis. Happened with Witcher 3. You can get ANY game on a console, with enough downgrades. As far as high quality exclusives? No idea. I do know though, that it's going to have more titles that were console exclusive since the consoles are going for x86.Maroxad

And soon enough, the PC hardware will far surpass the PS4 resulting in a generational gap between them.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt Killzone 4 will look anywhere near as good as it did in the trailer.

lol just like this gen right?  

witcher2cover.jpg

When it was first announced Hermits said it was a game not held back by consoles and not possible to run...we see how that turned out, and with the 2005 xbox360 no less.  That was 2011

EVEN IF the power is there do you honestly beleive devs are going to make games that utilize that power to the point to where even PS4 would look a  gen behind?  Keep dreaming

#43 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

KillzoneSnake

Fail.

I have crysis on both PS3 and PC. The gfx are not downgraded. It actually has a much better lighting system than Crysis retail on PC. Overall the game is 720p about medium settings.

time to eat your breakfast!!

Please just stop, you're making yourself look bad. 

A much better lighting system does not bloom almost everything and cover everything in a very washed out haze. Also vegetation is severely scaled back along with the draw distance with how far you can actually see it. Crysis on PC had very natural lighting on the whole environment, it wasn't overdone to death because it went for a realistic approach. Crysis on consoles goes for a stylised look. 

Also 720p looks pretty bad compared to 1080p+. Not an opinion either, that's just how resolutions work. 

Also if it was so comparable why is there a level missing? 

#44 Posted by Lucianu (9389 posts) -

A few years from now on multiplat games PC games will say they are superior because of 4k res on their tiny monitors xD while PS4 gamers playing at 1080p will know how pointless their superiority is :lol:

KillzoneSnake

What you need, is experience with gaming on a PC, before commenting on it. Seriously now. What could you possibly have to gain by behaving like a clueless fanboy? I don't understand this need to let people know of your insecurities. 

#45 Posted by adamosmaki (9514 posts) -
the only thing of past are 3rd party console exclusives
#46 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

casharmy

lol just like this gen right?  

When it was first announced Hermits said it was a game not held back by consoles and not possible to run...we see how that turned out, and with the 2005 xbox360 no less.  That was 2011

EVEN IF the power is there do you honestly beleive devs are going to make games that utilize that power to the point to where even PS4 would look a  gen behind?  Keep dreaming

Well they did have to redo the entire lighting system to compensate. They also added far more gates and doors etc. where the PC had none because the game had to constantly load. 

But then again it was a very impressive port and I was surprised by it myself. 

#47 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="KillzoneSnake"]

Lucianu

What you need, is experience with gaming on a PC, before commenting on it. Seriously now. What could you possibly have to gain by behaving like a clueless fanboy? I don't understand this need to let people know of your insecurities. 

I don't understand this most of the time, they talk about PC like they have hands on experience which most don't. At least not a proper PC. While some stuff looks better off the bat it's only when you play on PC for a few months and then see a console game again does it become extremely obvious what the PC does better. 

#48 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1717 posts) -

[QUOTE="KillzoneSnake"]

Lucianu

I have a PC. Please post something that actually makes sense. This gen graphics between console and PC was a lot closer than the PS2 days. Next gen is over. PS4 gamers dont care if you run Crysis 5 at 4k res, we cant tell the difference playing at 1080p unless we rich and buy a 80 inch tv lol. Graphics will be the same.

Why you think Crysis 3 hardly beats Crysis 1? Dev are hitting a graphical wall and a budget wall that is even bigger.

Next years Witcher 3, and what ever big PC title coming out will be maxed on PS4 at 1080p easily.

We don't care about PC gaming, its not superior at anything! Other than piracy, hacks and stuff like that LOL

#49 Posted by casharmy (6829 posts) -

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

Lucianu

:? you call it fanboyism but whos is it mine our yours?  As I see it all I did was give an observation from my perspective and I stated facts to back me up.  Hermits DID say that crysis wasn't possible on consoles and they also said the same for The witcher 2 when it first released (do you want to try to dispute that??????) They were wrong and both of those titles ended up multiplats on consoles.

If what I said makes you upset you need to take a chill pill.  This is my persepctive, I didn't call hermit any names nor did I bash PC in any of my posts here so get a grip and take two steps back

#50 Posted by casharmy (6829 posts) -

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]PC titles will always look better than their console counterparts. Happened with Crysis. Happened with Witcher 3. You can get ANY game on a console, with enough downgrades. As far as high quality exclusives? No idea. I do know though, that it's going to have more titles that were console exclusive since the consoles are going for x86.tagyhag

When Sony games do 1440p and 60-120fps then I'll agree with you, because that's going to be the standard for the PC next gen. Put in the disk and play? Consoles aren't consoles anymore, they're entertainment devices. It won't be as simple as putting the disk and playing. Heck, you couldn't even do that on the PS3. I'm looking at you MGS4.

:P MGS4 is an exception...let's just forget that happened lol