Are Gamers More Prepared?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Telekill (4231 posts) -

With all of the games we've played, many of them being survival in some fashion; incorporating strategy, weapons knowledge, and basic training, do we as gamers have an advantage over those that don't play games when the crap hits the fan? Are we able to keep our "cool" better, to think clearer and plan more effectively?

I know that the US military already uses certain games as training or a boot camp of sorts. I know that weapons knowledge is minimal when it comes to games when compared to real life, but all of the guns we shoot in our simulators get us used to them in some ways.

Then take games like The Last of Us, Metal Gear and the newer Tomb Raider. Those are really good at teaching stealth as well as other tactics. In fact, I ended up buying a recurve bow because of Tomb Raider and I really got into archery.

So what are your thoughts? If the crap hits the fan, are gamers better prepared, at least mentally, to handle the situation and survive than those that don't play games or are casual?

#2 Posted by Couth_ (9921 posts) -

Wat

@Telekill said:

I know that the US military already uses certain games as training or a boot camp of sorts.

Wot

#3 Edited by jake44 (1908 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Then take games like The Last of Us, Metal Gear and the newer Tomb Raider. Those are really good at teaching stealth as well as other tactics. In fact, I ended up buying a recurve bow because of Tomb Raider and I really got into archery.

So, If I crouch down I become invisible...sweet!

#4 Posted by Ballroompirate (21719 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

Wat

@Telekill said:

I know that the US military already uses certain games as training or a boot camp of sorts.

Wot

Yup the Navy uses Starcraft 2 as a strategic training sim.

#5 Edited by lostrib (31771 posts) -

#6 Posted by Alcapello (528 posts) -

@jake44 said:

@Telekill said:

Then take games like The Last of Us, Metal Gear and the newer Tomb Raider. Those are really good at teaching stealth as well as other tactics. In fact, I ended up buying a recurve bow because of Tomb Raider and I really got into archery.

So, If crouch down I become invisible...sweet!

Like CNN, which fit perfectly.

#7 Posted by Spitfire-Six (463 posts) -

@Telekill said:

With all of the games we've played, many of them being survival in some fashion; incorporating strategy, weapons knowledge, and basic training, do we as gamers have an advantage over those that don't play games when the crap hits the fan? Are we able to keep our "cool" better, to think clearer and plan more effectively?

I know that the US military already uses certain games as training or a boot camp of sorts. I know that weapons knowledge is minimal when it comes to games when compared to real life, but all of the guns we shoot in our simulators get us used to them in some ways.

Then take games like The Last of Us, Metal Gear and the newer Tomb Raider. Those are really good at teaching stealth as well as other tactics. In fact, I ended up buying a recurve bow because of Tomb Raider and I really got into archery.

So what are your thoughts? If the crap hits the fan, are gamers better prepared, at least mentally, to handle the situation and survive than those that don't play games or are casual?

no. You will not be in better shape to survive than someone who takes the actual physical preparation to prepare. You are completely delusional if you think otherwise.

#8 Posted by CountBleck12 (22494 posts) -

#9 Posted by Telekill (4231 posts) -

Those pointing out the gamers = fat person stigma, should realize that that's not always the case.

Second, it doesn't look like any of you are willing to actually discuss this from the psychological stand point. I over estimated you guys in thinking you would want something to talk about that would require actual thinking. I'm surprised none of you even mentioned the quick note of desensitization.

Go ahead and lock this mods.

#10 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

Um... no. I'll take my non-gaming friends in a real life danger situation over any gamer, any day.

#11 Edited by Spitfire-Six (463 posts) -

@Telekill:

It has nothing to do with thinking gamers are fat. Your body in a state of stress will default to the highest level of training. If you have no training you will not be more successful. Training does not mean playing video games. The only time video games are used is the est2000 and it is a scenario trainer not skills training. If you think that the military could save millions of dollars by going all virtual they wouldn't have done it by now? SO games, can point you in directions to learn things like the one guy who saved someones life from some medical things he learned from Army of One. It will not by default teach you much.

#12 Posted by jake44 (1908 posts) -
#13 Edited by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Those pointing out the gamers = fat person stigma, should realize that that's not always the case.

Second, it doesn't look like any of you are willing to actually discuss this from the psychological stand point. I over estimated you guys in thinking you would want something to talk about that would require actual thinking. I'm surprised none of you even mentioned the quick note of desensitization.

Go ahead and lock this mods.

If you want some intelligent discussion you should have made this thread in the Games Discussion forum instead of Sistem Wurz.

#14 Posted by Alcapello (528 posts) -

@jake44 said:

@lostrib said:

lmao

lol the picture says either way its happening, but its probably for later generations after undressing.

#15 Posted by MikeMoose (3074 posts) -

I agree. Stick of Truth just taught me how to properly defend myself from Khloe Kardashians overgrown aborted nazi zombie fetus.

#16 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -

Yep. It's a shame the military doesn't know if you get shot eleven times, you can just hide behind a dumpster for thirty seconds and be completely cured of all ailments.

Also dragons.

#17 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3795 posts) -

absolutely not

#18 Posted by getyeryayasout (6909 posts) -

One of the collectibles in Dead Nation for PS4 for was a bloody game pad with a caption something like, " As Derek was being bludgeoned in the face with a game pad, it occurred to him that videogames were not adequate training for the appocolypse." Seems fitting.

#19 Posted by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

I thought this thread was going to be about zombies.

#20 Posted by gameofthering (9979 posts) -

The only thing I've read is that Doctors who play video-games are better with hand - eye coordination.

#21 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (385 posts) -

Thanks OP, I needed that. Great post.

#22 Edited by Zidaneski (8435 posts) -

You need to be waaay more specific as far as what games you think can actually teach someone anything. Videogames can easily teach basic hand eye coordination and help you work on reflexes but someone that is trained for a real (not virtual) function will perform better than someone that wasn't.

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

Doesn't really matter what you're prepared for, the real question is: is the character you play as prepared for the scenario ? Speaking of the last of us, the game glitches or somebody nudges the the controller and a clicker hears you, witch means everybody in the vicinity hears you, at some point you have to face the facts and admit you don't have anywhere near enough resources to survive the situation and you are completely and thoroughly fucked ! Thank god for checkpoints, which is more than I can say for Dark Souls.

Another example is an open world RPG, you might wonder into an area with a boss that you are clearly way too underpowered to beat, ofcourse the game doesn't tell you this, you'l only realise this when you get insta-killed for the 2nd time (you'l tell yourself the 1st time was a fluke because you weren't blocking or you you weren't fully healed yet)

I think gamers have every right to rage when a game screws you over. I'm not a big fan of learning by trial and error.

#24 Posted by stuff238 (610 posts) -

Big Boss taught me CQC and Batman taught me his incredible fighting techniques. I can beat up like 50 guys in a row. I will be fine.

I also learned hiding in a box will work if you don't want to found.

GTA has shown me to remain calm when I will need the persons "S*** they drive".

I learned how to shoot a sniper rifle from various games and to make sure I have some Diazepam with me to keep my hands more steady.

I shot a shot gun in video games and learned about recoil. Then I shot one in real life and could not believe how powerful those damn things are. Had a nice sore shoulder despite holding it correctly.

#25 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24316 posts) -

no one is ready for war.

#26 Posted by stationplay_4 (442 posts) -

Yes, video games taught me how to fast-travel. If i'm ever in trouble, I'll just teleport.

#27 Posted by edwardecl (1797 posts) -

Games do have some effect. Some games to train reaction time and teach as a bit about survival and yes stealth (cardboard boxes are fine ^^).

But military training is something else, for example physical training, weapons and fighting which games can't do, what I mean by physical training is not just fitness in the sense of strength but endurance. Not to mention how to cope in stressful situations. Gamers might have the edge over similar people who don't game... but not by much. I bet a lot of people would try to emulate what's done in games and fail badly.

#28 Posted by bobbetybob (19087 posts) -

God no. You really think shooting polygons makes you mentally prepared to actually shoot a human?

#29 Posted by Icarian (1462 posts) -

@Couth_: Armies around the world have used games for training for years. From real sims like Steel Beasts Pro to strategic games like Starcraft.

#30 Posted by edwardecl (1797 posts) -

God no. You really think shooting polygons makes you mentally prepared to actually shoot a human?

But but but, the news keeps saying video games turn people into deranged killers, they say it so it must be true.

#31 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6183 posts) -

depends on what you mean TC, people WHO plays some kinds of games will gain hightened reflexes, better multitasking skills, or be better to detect alterations in the landscape then people WHO don't aswell as highten the general logical patterns of some Things.

Those might help some, but they do not replace training, and you certainly don't know how a gun Works because youve playeid a game where a digital weapon based on its shape, but in no way how it functions, will not help you fire or aim a weapon.

There is also the fact that some games CAN teach rudementry survival ideas, although does not tell you exactly how to execute them, so you might be better off in some areas, depending on what games you play, as opposed to someone with no training and no interrest in gaming. (mind you if people read alot, the knowlage of basic survival techniques can be aquired that way aswell.

So it depends alot of the scenario, and the degree you think of TC. I would wagerthat alot of peopel playing survival games, might have a decent chance of picking more of the right Things from a store to stay alive, then some other population Groups.

But in the bbest of cases all that you learn in games outside of the hightened areas of the brain, are all theoretical knowlage, and many Things (Again dependend on the game) will be tainted by Hollywood nonsense to make it more mass market appealing.

A good example: someone WHO is heavily into flight or helicopter sims, might wery well be able to land a plane in a pinch, the skills and theories they have learned in those sims are somewhat able to be used in a real world.

basic sorvival sims (no not day Z or Rust) might teach you something about plants that are edible or not.

I think the point is that the theoretical skills you could learn would likely be from actual sims, not action games (But action games makes your brain Work faster and see better in some areas, which might overall Work to your advantage).

#32 Posted by Ghost120x (3652 posts) -

LOL funny thread. I guess I would be able to survive a zombie apocalypse after the many hours I played Re and dead rising. I only need a bomb shelter just in case the government bombs the place, and then I'm all set.

#33 Posted by MBirdy88 (7189 posts) -

Don't worry TC not everyone here deals in absolutes.

Problem solving skills will be better. people in this thread think he is comparing gamers to fully-trained people ... he is not, use your damn heads. he's just saying certain imagery and concepts from games can be taken into real life and help abit... compared to people that dont have EITHER.

#34 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5907 posts) -

Are gamers prepared???

Damn right...................Prepared for TitanFall.

#35 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69101 posts) -

@Telekill: being a former soldier, i would say no.

#36 Edited by Sword-Demon (6872 posts) -

There are a few things that playing games can help with, but overall, it probably hurts more than it helps.

#37 Posted by KBFloYd (12775 posts) -