Are consoles becoming a big ripoff?

#51 Edited by freedomfreak (42756 posts) -
@Silent-Assasin7 said:

No they all just care about resolution and ROPs, apparently.

There are some, yes. It's what's hip these days.

#52 Posted by Roler42 (837 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

And if you are successful, like myself

Not sure if I should laugh or feel sorry for you, then again... Console gamer...

#53 Posted by Heirren (18619 posts) -

In terms of xbox and playstation, id say yes, though I do think Sony is making an attempt to change this direction. In the case of Nintendo? No, not at all. People need to realize that when you buy Nintendo you are more or less paying for their game r&d.

#54 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5122 posts) -

hmm, interesting, the cows were extremely vocal and made MANY thread on this point about 'half the game being held hostage' last gen referring to XBL fees.

They're interestingly silent here, I was sure they would side with you on this TC.

#55 Edited by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@roler42: pc gamers only purchase games when they are $2 on Steam. Financial strains are plentiful within the pc community, and Stream operates as the digital welfare system, of sorts.

#56 Edited by NFJSupreme (5399 posts) -

You can make arguments for anything that isn't a productivity tool being a rip off.

#57 Edited by Gue1 (11140 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

Because it cost money to maintain the servers up... the constant complaint about Sony's horrible servers for the PS3 and the slow ass downloads for things + the success of the Xbox live got them to the Pay for service motto. Is either pay 60 dollars a year or watch a shit ton of adds for everything.

we don't pay for updates on Windows, Linux or Steam and we don't pay for Amazon's servers to be able to purchase things there either. But if there's someone to blame for this are all the idiots that paid for XBL. They fucked us all, those fucking lems! ;__;

#58 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3767 posts) -

If this generation goes as long as the last then I would say yes. Since the hardware in consoles is not upgradeable the cost of the console should drop drastically over a 6 or 7 year period. The 4 GB 360 "E" costs $179.99 today. The 360 Core was $299 in 2005. I bet the cost of 512MB of RAM, a 500 MHz ATI Xenos and a Tri Core Xenon processor have come down more than that.

#59 Posted by NFJSupreme (5399 posts) -

@Gue1: blame Sony too. They could have showed that you don't need to charge to have a solid online infrastructure but they half assed it. Then claimed that in order to provide a better service they had to charge. Bunch of bs. They never even made a legitimate attempt to have a good service to begin with.

#60 Posted by Roler42 (837 posts) -

@xboxdone74: So basically, you're a rich kid looking down on those you consider "poor", nice of you to at least be honest enough to show what kind of person you really are :)

Then again, you actually believe trash talking on SW is some sort of social justice so... LMAO

#61 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

Another PC is superior to consoles so why game on consoles thread? Oh joy!

Live and PSN provide more than just the ability to play the online multiplayer portion of a given game

#62 Posted by Motokid6 (6197 posts) -

@xboxdone74: No matter the price.. PC gamers actually play games, so..

#63 Edited by glez13 (9004 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

PS Plus is $50 a year and often times you can get it cheaper that that. They also give you games. Why do PC people bitch about that when many spend a crap load of money on hardware and keeping it up to date. Boggles my mind.. Not to mention that PC introduced subscription based model i.e. World of Warcraft

As far as I know the first subscription based game was on consoles. Meridian 59 for the 3DO is the oldest I can remember, it was a hot topic on magazines back in the day.

#64 Edited by lostrib (41790 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@lostrib: my success is showing, my son. While relying on sales, shows your failure. B-)

Don't think you've ever shown any signs of success.

#66 Posted by -Unreal- (24551 posts) -
@Lulu_Lulu said:

The thing I don't get about Valve is why do they wana make a console ?

They're not.

@Pray_to_me said:

because no one wants to hook up a fugly ass tower to their TV. Shit most people don't even want a fugly ass tower at all. Why do you think valve is making maneuvers to make their own bootleg console?

Micro ATX and mini ITX.

#67 Posted by kingtito (5213 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

PS Plus is $50 a year and often times you can get it cheaper that that. They also give you games. Why do PC people bitch about that when many spend a crap load of money on hardware and keeping it up to date. Boggles my mind.. Not to mention that PC introduced subscription based model i.e. World of Warcraft

They don't give you anything, you're paying for it.

#68 Edited by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@motokid6: Do they?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/gdc-most-players-donat-finish-games

I also, recently, just got done with debating a few other pc beggars who showed me their huge Steam library. They hadn't even touched over half of the games, or put 5 hours or less into them.

Pc gamers tend to buy all these $2 indie titles, and then just let them sit there, just so they have some fodder when they talk of their libraries.

#69 Edited by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@roler42: I would hardly call myself rich. But I suppose the definition changes from person to person.

I would love to say I was younger than I am also. Life is much simpler when a kid.

#70 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

Consoles are sold at a very small markup. PC hardware is sold at huge markup prices. You can trade in console games and buy used. So it's apples and oranges.

#71 Posted by kingtito (5213 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@roler42: I would hardly call myself rich. But I suppose the definition changes from person to person.

I would love to say I was younger than I am also. Life is much simpler when a kid.

I highly doubt you're about 15 judging by your posting history.

#72 Posted by Heil68 (46646 posts) -

I want to play the best of the best, GOTY, and sometimes perfect games that PC's just dont seem to get so I have to play those world class games on consoles.

#73 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9173 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@lostrib: my success is showing, my son. While relying on sales, shows your failure. B-)

You have no success. You're a failure.

#74 Posted by Motokid6 (6197 posts) -

@xboxdone74: Never said anything about completing games nor did I mention number of games. I said pc gamers actually PLAY games where as all the console gamers on this forum do is criticise games.

#75 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3050 posts) -

Paying for online gaming is a RIP but if you buy a xflop or peasantstation 4 they have you by the balls. You get a much better service for free with steam and cheaper games. The only reason I buy console is for a few exclusives but we all know that we could save alot of money by just sticking to pc.

This next get is off to a bad start the hardware is at low level pc specs and it not even a year old. There is no new dvd or blu-ray either to justify the cost. The ps4 cost 400 plus 50 bucks for the online with tax that's 500 before you get a game. The xflop is less powerful and cost 500 plus 60 bucks for live gold making it 600.

With prices like that if your short of cash you might as well upgrade your pc for gaming. You can get a used gtx 680 2gb for about 200 bucks that wil max any game for years.

#76 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

Becoming?? They have always been a rip off.

#77 Posted by blackace (21311 posts) -

@happyduds77 said:

So I just realized that in order to access 1/2 part of a game you already paid for, you have to pay another 60$per year. I don't understand how this kind of business model is even successful. I guess it's easy to fool consumers now days.

And on top of that you can build a much powerful PC for a cheaper price in the long run.

Why are consoles even relevant anymore?

Exclusives not on PC. The longer you keep the game console, the less of a rip-off it becomes. $400-$500 for 8-10 years of gaming versus a $700-$800 PC that gets upgrade 1-2 times within the same time frame. Also a lot of gamers don't like to deal with the issues that come with PC games. Making sure you got the right specs to run the game. The right drivers. Dealing with DRM crap, etc... etc... PC gaming can be a hassle if you don't know what you're doing. My mother-in-law almost killed her computer as she loaded 100's of Tangent type games on it and only have about 700MB of space left. Plus she had a ton of maleware crap on it because of it. Pain in the ass.

#78 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7598 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Bikouchu35 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Pray_to_me said:

because no one wants to hook up a fugly ass tower to their TV. Shit most people don't even want a fugly ass tower at all. Why do you think valve is making maneuvers to make their own bootleg console?

lol htpc

lol ikr, plus if its so ugly than hide it or don't get it. Peasants gonna be peasants, jk.

I don't know...I'd wager most if not all console owners have a PC....but all or most PC owners don't have a console. Seems the peasant is the opposite what you espouse.

I'll wage that most of those consolites that own pc can't even run minecraft in other words a facebook machine, but PC I guess gamer such as myself and others on here own consoles. As a matter of fact at one point I owned all last generations platform psp, ds, ps3, x360, wii... you get the point.

That's why a lot of consolites have such ignorant claims to aspect in pc gaming such as "le $5k price tag machine", but in reality it only takes $1k or less and old parts are often resold to recoup on upgrades.

#79 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3050 posts) -

@menes777 said:

Becoming?? They have always been a rip off.

This next gen just took it to another level. Honestly if I didn't waste so much money I should have passed on the ps4.

#80 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7814 posts) -

The Wii U is still a good value. Sony and Microsoft are moving more towards offering a service than a gaming console, though, which doesn't interest me at all.

#81 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@Bikouchu35: I'll wager pc beggars continue begging for ports of console games, and also come in dead last again in game of the year exclusives, for another generation.

#82 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7598 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@Bikouchu35: I'll wager pc beggars continue begging for ports of console games, and also come in dead last again in game of the year exclusives, for another generation.

Eh, who cares when every game looks better anyway :P and teh mods.

Again if I wanted exclusives I'll buy it on the consoles, I am not limiting myself to one platform. However I already chose my side of allegiance.

#83 Posted by Vatusus (5087 posts) -

True. I refuse to pay for online. I'll never will. Publishers will even lose game sales because of this shit. I was interested in buying Destiny at launch but the fact the game is online only was imediately a big NO for me.

#84 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (3050 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@Bikouchu35: I'll wager pc beggars continue begging for ports of console games, and also come.

GOTY is one game per year. That does not erase the huge advantage pc has with the most AAA/AA games and exclusives. You have to put the ps3 and 360 TOGETHER to come close to match the pc list. That does not even bring into play MODS. Pc also has BC as standard and runs emulators from the wii on back at 1080p or better.

So if your talking about games then your talking about PC gaming. Oh the games are cheaper and look better also. Console peasants have the same hardware for 8 years and the graphics look like crap and run like slideshows. If you really care about games Pc is the way to go. Now if you want a couple of exclusives and don't mind spending 500 bucks on a ps4 then do so but it's not on the Pc's level.

#85 Edited by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47: if you care about games that define a generation, don't have to resort to petitioning for ports, or waiting months for the ports to arrive, then console gaming is the way to go.

If you like mmos, rts, and indies, which perform and look the same on an ipad as they do a pc, then definitely pc gaming the way to go.

If youre on a strict budget, have financial issues, then again, pc gaming is the way to go. You can build a cheap pc, and buy your games for like $2-$5 a pop and not blow your budget.

For those of us that aren't exactly strapped for cash, consoles definitely the way.

No need to petition, get the most game of the year exclusives, and even now, more and more of the pc indies are flowing over to consoles, and even handhelds, where id dare say is the superior way to play them. And we don't even need to beg for them.

#86 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (3050 posts) -

@xboxdone74: You know most of the games are multiplats and pc always has the best version for less. The master race has the best everything all consoles have is a couple of exclusives on peasant hardware. Peasants are just now trying to get 1080p lmao the Master Race did that almost a decade ago. Peasants are so far behind not even Heinz can help them Ketchup to the Master Race.

#87 Posted by Roler42 (837 posts) -

Getting back into topic...

If consoles keep getting games like Knack, microtransaction fests like GT or Forza, sub based services that offer too little for too much (plus services that are free everywhere else) and more subpar 60 dollar AAA titles, then yes... The consoles are becoming a ripoff

But companies like Sony (and Nintendo to some degree) can still bring some hope of decency, or at least offer a good enough product that will lit a fire under Microsoft and turn things around

Consoles really need to offer enough to make the near 1k dollar investment worth it

#88 Posted by louisfoxton (1398 posts) -

Hell yea consoles are rip offs you pay 500 dollars for the console then you have to pay online for the console then you have to over pay for games while on the pc you can built a 400 dollar one thats stronger than the gaming console the games are cheaper and you can get any game you want free with the hacker.

#89 Edited by LJS9502_basic (152242 posts) -

@Bikouchu35 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Bikouchu35 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Pray_to_me said:

because no one wants to hook up a fugly ass tower to their TV. Shit most people don't even want a fugly ass tower at all. Why do you think valve is making maneuvers to make their own bootleg console?

lol htpc

lol ikr, plus if its so ugly than hide it or don't get it. Peasants gonna be peasants, jk.

I don't know...I'd wager most if not all console owners have a PC....but all or most PC owners don't have a console. Seems the peasant is the opposite what you espouse.

I'll wage that most of those consolites that own pc can't even run minecraft in other words a facebook machine, but PC I guess gamer such as myself and others on here own consoles. As a matter of fact at one point I owned all last generations platform psp, ds, ps3, x360, wii... you get the point.

That's why a lot of consolites have such ignorant claims to aspect in pc gaming such as "le $5k price tag machine", but in reality it only takes $1k or less and old parts are often resold to recoup on upgrades.

Bull....

#91 Posted by AznbkdX (3543 posts) -

Nah not really.

#92 Posted by scatteh316 (5017 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

because no one wants to hook up a fugly ass tower to their TV. Shit most people don't even want a fugly ass tower at all. Why do you think valve is making maneuvers to make their own bootleg console?

Ugly ass tower? I would not call Lian Li cases, which are hand crafted aluminium and have a quality and finish that would make even Apple jealous 'Ugly'

#94 Posted by happyduds77 (1554 posts) -

@blackace said:

@happyduds77 said:

So I just realized that in order to access 1/2 part of a game you already paid for, you have to pay another 60$per year. I don't understand how this kind of business model is even successful. I guess it's easy to fool consumers now days.

And on top of that you can build a much powerful PC for a cheaper price in the long run.

Why are consoles even relevant anymore?

Exclusives not on PC. The longer you keep the game console, the less of a rip-off it becomes. $400-$500 for 8-10 years of gaming versus a $700-$800 PC that gets upgrade 1-2 times within the same time frame. Also a lot of gamers don't like to deal with the issues that come with PC games. Making sure you got the right specs to run the game. The right drivers. Dealing with DRM crap, etc... etc... PC gaming can be a hassle if you don't know what you're doing. My mother-in-law almost killed her computer as she loaded 100's of Tangent type games on it and only have about 700MB of space left. Plus she had a ton of maleware crap on it because of it. Pain in the ass.

That makes no sense. If you want to play online heavy games like Titanfall you sure as shit are gonna pay another $60 just to access the game yearly.

So if you're planing to keep playing for 8-10 years you're going to have to pay $1100 with the console included.

#95 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7598 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Bull....

Bull this.

My allegiance is with the other gods and GabeN!

#96 Posted by inb4uall (6267 posts) -

That's Why I only have a 3DS and a Wii U so far. I plan to get a vita soon and then build a PC sometime this year.

#97 Edited by melonfarmerz (1274 posts) -

@Bikouchu35: This is usually how it works. Ask a PC gamer to provide proof they have a console and they can usually provide a pic with 2 or 3 controllers. Ask a console gamer for proof they have a gaming PC and they will post a macbook air, a 300 dollar prebuilt web browsing desktop, or in XboxDones case, a fucking suface pro.

#98 Posted by lostrib (41790 posts) -

@Bikouchu35 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Bull....

Bull this.

My allegiance is with the other gods and GabeN!

The Twist:

They're actually for playing games on PC

#99 Posted by handssss (1898 posts) -

@happyduds77 said:

@Spartan070 said:

@happyduds77 said:

@Spartan070 said:

So basically some PC gamers wonder why console manufacturers charge for some online features while at the same time claiming that console games cost too much and that console online features aren't robust enough...

Run-on sentence aside, let's say that consoles improved the online services to near PC levels while dropping console games $10 to PC levels and simultaneously doing away with charging for PSN and XBL.

That sounds like a better business strategy to you? You think we have a lot of ads now?

I really don't care what is the best business strategy for the console manufactures. They will do whatever possible to generate as much money as they can. I am just wondering why consumers buy these systems when they are given a better option.

The games. :/

So you're saying it's worth spending over 500$ for a console just for a couple of games or more?

depending on how much more, definitely. Especially since I play multiplayer games with friends, more than just a couple of which sure as hell don't have anything close to gaming PCs. of course, it would make no difference to me even if ps+ didn't become a requirement for most MP games on the ps4. It's necessary in order to provide a better service after an entire gen of it being completely free. I also enjoy the free "or "free" if you want to get anal about it) games every month. I never would have bought Saints Row 3, BF3, Deus Ex HR, Batman AA, DmC, or Bioshock Infinite, but now I have them all on my backlog for when I or my roommate wishes to play them.

#100 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7598 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@Bikouchu35: This is usually how it works. Ask a PC gamer to provide proof they have a console and they can usually provide a pic with 2 or 3 controllers. Ask a console gamer for proof they have a gaming PC and they will post a macbook air, a 300 dollar prebuilt web browsing desktop, or in XboxDones case, a fucking suface pro.

Ikr, didn't want to haul them door wedges together for a pict, so I just got the controllers. The only person that disses PC with both that I'm aware of was a big troll that doesn't seem to post anymore anyway.

@lostrib said:

@Bikouchu35 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Bull....

Bull this.

My allegiance is with the other gods and GabeN!

The Twist:

They're actually for playing games on PC

Shh, don't give out the secret.