Are CD Projeck wrong and hypocrits?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (7975 posts) -

My chumlings, you can read the article here According the the developers of CDP gamers shouldn't be treated with DRM and are not criminals.

The largest distributor of digital games is not steam but a website sharing pirated material. This is a sad fact of life.

CDP, themselves, sent out letters to people they "suspected" (i.e. not definitely sure) stole the Witcher 2, demanding money for it or legal action.

How is that not treating people like criminals?

#2 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

My chumlings, you can read the article here According the the developers of CDP gamers shouldn't be treated with DRM and are not criminals.

The largest distributor of digital games is not steam but a website sharing pirated material. This is a sad fact of life.

CDP, themselves, sent out letters to people they "suspected" (i.e. not definitely sure) stole the Witcher 2, demanding money for it or legal action.

Well were they wrong?

#3 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4508 posts) -

i only just learned about that the other day. yeah they regretted their actions.

are they hypocrites (or as they're informally known about this place, hippopotamuses) well, i just think about what they're offering now. gog is very fair, and they apologised for their mistake, yeah.

but there was a bit of hypocrisy with that letter sending debacle, yeeaaaoup.

#4 Edited by super600 (30380 posts) -

Can you expand your OP a bit TC?

I don't understand what you are saying in this part of the OP

Can you provide actual proof that CD Project actually did this?

Nevermind I found what you were talking about.They were using a different method to combat piracy instead of DRM.

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10549 posts) -

Hmmmm..... Well they don't do DRM so I'm on their side !

#6 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4508 posts) -
#7 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3499 posts) -

they got too much time on their hands if they are wasting time sending letters to a few thousand people that downloaded the game... the same people who wouldnt have bought it in the first place... so good luck trying to get blood from a stone.

#8 Posted by lostrib (34969 posts) -

they got too much time on their hands if they are wasting time sending letters to a few thousand people that downloaded the game... the same people who wouldnt have bought it in the first place... so good luck trying to get blood from a stone.

they didn't actually do it themselves, it was via a law firm

#9 Posted by super600 (30380 posts) -

@super600 said:

fyi my friend

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/15/the-witcher-2-devs-claim-100-accuracy-in-identifying-pirates-demand-money-from-thousands/

I found it anyway. They weren't really using drm in this case to combat piracy.

#10 Edited by lostrib (34969 posts) -

@super600 said:

Nevermind I found what you were talking about.They were using a different method to combat piracy instead of DRM.

For others:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/12/splendid-cd-projekt-to-stop-legal-threats/

#12 Edited by lawlessx (46576 posts) -

and they regretted it and sore to never do anything like that again..so where are we going with this?

#13 Edited by uninspiredcup (7975 posts) -
@super600 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@super600 said:

fyi my friend

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/15/the-witcher-2-devs-claim-100-accuracy-in-identifying-pirates-demand-money-from-thousands/

It's actually much worse. DRM is a generalized protection. Actually sending a letter to someone out at their home address, specifically accusing and threatening them, is about as far as "you are a fucking criminal" as humanly possible.

#14 Posted by super600 (30380 posts) -

@super600 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@super600 said:

fyi my friend

It's actually much worse. DRM is a generalized protection. Actually sending a letter to someone out at their home address, specifically accusing and threatening them, is about as far as "you are a fucking criminal" as humanly possible.

Claim.

They claimed that they wren't actually targeting people that were innocent. So I really don't know were this thread is heading?

#15 Posted by NFJSupreme (5187 posts) -

isn't that just treating criminals (or suspected criminals) like criminals as apposed to indiscriminately treating all customers like criminals which is what DRM does. I don't get your angle TC.

#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (7975 posts) -
@NFJSupreme said:

isn't that just treating criminals (or suspected criminals) like criminals as apposed to indiscriminately treating all customers like criminals which is what DRM does. I don't get your angle TC.

DRM is to prevent the crime happening. Treating like someone as a criminal who isn't actually proven as a criminal, is typically bad.

@super600 said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@super600 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@super600 said:

fyi my friend

Claim.

They claimed that they wren't actually targeting people that were innocent. So I really don't know were this thread is heading?

#18 Edited by lawlessx (46576 posts) -

@super600 said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@super600 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@super600 said:

fyi my friend

Claim.

Okay..so you really don't have anything else to discuss here then?

#19 Edited by super600 (30380 posts) -

I'm locking this thread.I really have no clue what you are trying to prove with your OP TC.I read multiple articles about what CD Projext red did and they were using a firm to target the people who were pirating their game and not the innocent customers.They may have targeted innocent people. They apologized anyway for that.It doesn't help that you are are trying to use the same arguement over and over again when you are proving wrong.

#20 Posted by clyde46 (45347 posts) -

CDPR did sent out letters but they stopped that practice after a backlash from customers.