Are all 1080p TVs the same?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lg_style_510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lg_style_510
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts
I'm just curious about it. For example, are the cheaper brands like Maxent or Vizio on par with Samsung and Mitsubishi. Also does 1080p look better on DLP, LCD or Plasma.
Avatar image for GermanShepard06
GermanShepard06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GermanShepard06
Member since 2006 • 3285 Posts

I'm just curious about it. For example, are the cheaper brands like Maxent or Vizio on par with Samsung and Mitsubishi. Also does 1080p look better on DLP, LCD or Plasma.lg_style_510

forget 1080p on plasma, they cost too much money.

LCD is the best choice if you looking for 1080p.

riggosert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 riggosert
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts
contrast ratios are important too.
mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts

[QUOTE="lg_style_510"]I'm just curious about it. For example, are the cheaper brands like Maxent or Vizio on par with Samsung and Mitsubishi. Also does 1080p look better on DLP, LCD or Plasma.GermanShepard06

forget 1080p on plasma, they cost too much money.

LCD is the best choice if you looking for 1080p.

mine is LCD and the visuals are great...does plasma look significantly better?
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
There's a lot more to it than just the resolution and brand and price don't usually tell you what's better.
Huff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Huff
Member since 2003 • 2132 Posts
Some of the best pictures I've seen are on DLP, however I wouldn't buy one because the viewing angles suck.  If it were me I would go LCD.  If you go to a store and look at different 1080p tvs playing the same source you will see lots of little differences.
Avatar image for Hammerofjustice
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hammerofjustice
Member since 2006 • 2685 Posts
sony tvs are the only true 1080p HDTV's.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
sony tvs are the only true 1080p HDTV's.Hammerofjustice
Did you drink the fruit punch they gave you? That kind of talk is cult-ish at best. Any 1080p TV has the potential to be a good set. I would *strongly* avoid the "walmart brands" - Maxent, et cetera. Anything a Best Buy or Circuit City isn't ashamed to carry will likely be okay. Westinghouse is usually the way to go, as a gamer, to save money on a 1080p set. Do yourself a favor and buy your set at an electronics store, I've found their return policies are a little better (I took back an Insignia set at BB for a one black sub-pixel, the Geek Squad tested it then and there and were like "oh man, I see it, that sucks" and gave me my money back - I picked up another and had no problems with it). Any set with a native resolution of 1920x1080 that will display a 1080p signal (without downscaling and then upscaling or other such nonsense) through an HDMI, VGA, DVI, or Component input is "True-HD". If you want to be totally sure, take your set home, hook it up to your computer via VGA, and send it a 1920x1080 signal - it should line up 1:1 - text on sites like this will make it crystal clear if something is wrong. Then, just go through and turn off all the "image enhancement" crap - sharpness, 3D Y/C, edge enhancement, all of it - on every input, adjust your colors (again on every input), and you'll be all set.