Anyone wants the CGI cutscenes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

I'm a huge fan of pre-rendered CGI cutscsnes that were found in Blizzard games or we used to have a decade back. I have fond memories of playing the game to unlock it or to view it. It gives me the sense of achievement or a trophy for completing a complex task. They are few and far between.

I don't like the trend of 'teh cinematic' games right now where there's a cutscenes with a press 'X' to win moment every two minutes. You know what franchises are guilty of that and I'm sure it will continue to follow.

Anyways, what do you like 'teh cinematic experience every two minutes with in-engine cutscenes' or a few CGI cutscenes?

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I think if it is an unplayable cut scene, then I want it to be a video. CGI 1080p Bluray quality video will be better than in game video, like Final Fantasy 13 did cutscenes with the CGI-ish. I quite like the modern way of walking through and the story unfolding around you, so you can look around and interact with things.

It really comes down to what the cutscene is going to be, if it isn't interactive then make it CGI and pre render it.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

The "press X to win" you speak of are Quick Time Events. Whether you look at it as cinematics disguised as gameplay, or gameplay hindered as cinematics, it just needs to go.

But as for the general question, CG sequences were used to develop the story of the game back when the real time graphics were still far too primitive (too blocky with pixelated textures) such as in the PS1 days. They were a crutch that made concession how the in game graphics weren't up to par, and the switch between gameplay and cinematic was jarring.

But with today's technical level of graphics (even in the 7th gen) CG has become redundant and unnecessary, when using the game engine to render the story sequences looks great and at the same time a far more efficient use of resources, and allows for more fluid and seamless transition between gameplay & cinematics.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I tend to prefer in game cut-scenes over CGI.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

CGI cutscenes seem to be the only thing blizzard is still good at,

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Don't like them. They exist only for promotional material, are put in the game to justify it's use in advertisement. That's the case with Blizzard games, two minutes of a small movie that looks nothing like the game they are set in.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Masculus said:

Don't like them. They exist only for promotional material, are put in the game to justify it's use in advertisement. That's the case with Blizzard games, two minutes of a small movie that looks nothing like the game they are set in.

Blizzard blow their entire budget on the fucking pixar quality CG cutscene and then ignores the rest of the game. Case in point Diablo 3.

Absolutely disgusting.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Given that games are trying to move toward downloadable versions, getting rid of pre-rendered HD cutscenes can save a lot of space by replacing them with realtime rendered cutscenes, plus realtime rendered cutscenes help maintain consistent graphic quality throughout the game.