Anyone remember Alan Wake GFX Downgrades ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by lglz1337 (2801 posts) -

if you do you shouldn't expect much from Quantum Break infact this game will release somewhere in 2018 if we are lucky!

#2 Edited by lostrib (30828 posts) -

okay

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (28418 posts) -

Will release the same time as The Last Guardian

#4 Edited by RoccoHout (968 posts) -

They should just make an Alan Wake 2 by now

#5 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9139 posts) -

Even with the "downgrade" you speak of, it still was a great looking game

#6 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2052 posts) -

Didn't the game ran at like 540p or something?

lol

#7 Posted by Cranler (7471 posts) -

Alan Wake was originally going to be a pc game that was supposed to be the new Crysis until anti consumer corp MS swooped in and turned it into an xbox game.

#8 Posted by Phazevariance (10887 posts) -

boo fvcking hoo

#9 Edited by _Matt_ (8737 posts) -

It was worth waiting for the pc version of Alan Wake, that was for sure. The visuals were almost an entire gen ahead on the pc version of it, it looked gorgeous.

#10 Edited by RimacBugatti (1151 posts) -

I can't remember but I think I passed on it because it wasn't an exclusive?

#11 Posted by silversix_ (13397 posts) -

Will never forget it especially the change from open world exploration to linear bullshit. Still is my biggest disappointing title of last gen, nothing came even close (Rage isn't far tho).

#12 Posted by silversix_ (13397 posts) -

Even with the "downgrade" you speak of, it still was a great looking game

great lighting but nothing else

#13 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16370 posts) -

No I don't, but that would be because I never kept up with the game. I did however end up buying it based off everything I heard about it when it was $5 on Steam and it is a pretty good game. I also own American Nightmare, but have yet to play it.

#14 Edited by soulitane (13365 posts) -

How will that stop it being a good game?

#15 Posted by handssss (1573 posts) -

graphics downgrades were not the worst part. Hell, Ubisoft ALWAYS does that with their games. it was changing it away from being an open world game.

#16 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

It was worth waiting for the pc version of Alan Wake, that was for sure. The visuals were almost an entire gen ahead on the pc version of it, it looked gorgeous.

LOL, omg my sides hurt. A whole gen ahead? Are you serious?

#17 Edited by Jankarcop (8758 posts) -

console games and gfx downgrades go hand in hand

ALan Wake was best on PC by miles tho.

#18 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

In all honesty, yes, I do remember Alan Wakes graphics being downgraded.

#19 Posted by soulitane (13365 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Hyperbole.

#20 Posted by blangenakker (2030 posts) -

Yes I remember when it was meant to be released for PC and was going to be open world, I remember

#21 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

Alan Wake was originally going to be a flagship PC exclusive to show off what the platform was capable of, but it became a timed 360 exclusive and PC didn't even get it until a year or so (I think) after the initial release. Yes I remember the downgrade because it pissed me the hell off.

#22 Posted by soulitane (13365 posts) -

Alan Wake was originally going to be a flagship PC exclusive to show off what the platform was capable of, but it became a timed 360 exclusive and PC didn't even get it until a year or so (I think) after the initial release. Yes I remember the downgrade because it pissed me the hell off.

It was never going to be a PC exclusive, right from when it was announced it was set to be on consoles and PC, before they even partnered up with MS.

#23 Edited by casharmy (6789 posts) -

I remebmer lemmings using original PC screens and claiming they were for 360, calling it open world, saying it was 720p confirmed and that it would dethrown UC2 as the new console graphincs king for the generation blowing everything on PS3 away + AAA GOTY...and NONE of that happened lol.

Yes, I remember.

The back tracking and downplaying of the epic downgrade (blury sub-hd, linear, botox face flop) that was hyped for years to be the best graphics was classic lem memory loss 101. Suddenly they never remembered hyping if for graphics and it was all aobut the story and gameplay.

#24 Edited by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

At the time of its launch I thought it looked pretty good

#25 Edited by killzowned24 (7281 posts) -

ahh, good old coat king that turned out to have the lowest resolution game ever lol.

#26 Posted by tubbyc (3637 posts) -

I remember them showing it off on a PC, set in a large area with a lot going on, demonstrating the use of all four cores of the CPU. Then the game turned out different. It looked really nice on the Xbox 360 apart from the screen tearing, but the gameplay just felt tedious to me, and the way it would cut to a short cut-scene to show when a new group of enemies was on the way was unnecessary and annoying. I enjoyed the story for a while and then in the end was like: WTF just happened?

#27 Posted by Chutebox (36039 posts) -

Ya, but I still loved it and it still looked good.

#28 Posted by sailor232 (4231 posts) -

I played the Pc version and it still looks amazing.

#29 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5205 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Alan Wake was originally going to be a pc game that was supposed to be the new Crysis until anti consumer corp MS swooped in and turned it into an xbox game.

Petty much this.. The original PC screenshots were amazing .. .then ms takes over and its console only (a year later on pc, but a shell of what the game should of been).

#30 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3661 posts) -

Ahhh, a thread worse than the 'energy efficiency wars' thread from BattleFieldFan1.

Well done TC, didn't think i'd see it any time soon. :P

#31 Edited by speedfog (2811 posts) -

@casharmy said:

I remebmer lemmings using original PC screens and claiming they were for 360, calling it open world, saying it was 720p confirmed and that it would dethrown UC2 as the new console graphincs king for the generation blowing everything on PS3 away + AAA GOTY...and NONE of that happened lol.

Yes, I remember.

The back tracking and downplaying of the epic downgrade (blury sub-hd, linear, botox face flop) that was hyped for years to be the best graphics was classic lem memory loss 101. Suddenly they never remembered hyping if for graphics and it was all aobut the story and gameplay.

You clearly did not play the game.

Your opinion is invalid.

#32 Posted by _Matt_ (8737 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@_Matt_ said:

Hyperbole.

This exactly, it was an exaggeration, but it still looked gorgeous playing it at 2560x1440 with the added effects for the pc version.