Anyone else wish Nintendo went third party after the Gamecube?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"][QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

god no mario with a gun=bad

samus looking like a doa girl =bad

DK with sunglasses bandanna and baggy jeans= bad

photo realistic kirby = ewwwwwww

insanejedi

Is there something wrong with that?

Kind've because even though it would be great to look at it wouldn't match Samus' Characteristics and Personality. That is the bad part.

Excuse me?

sadg

Ayane in her VR suit already looks like Samus... If anything this would be a perfect fit.

nah her tata's would be DD now they are good c's
#-48 Posted by flazzle (6488 posts) -
Nope.
Not everyone has an HD TV. It's growing,but far from majority.

I like the controllers. It's great when done right.

Voice acting? No thanks.

I like being able to play my Nintendo games on an affordable system that doesn't RROD or be force fed a blu-ray drive.

Nintendo will catch up in graphics. They took a chance and it paid off.
Plus I like the competition. PS3 and 360 are great systems all offer something different.

That should never change.
#-47 Posted by DaSorcerer77 (275 posts) -
[QUOTE="SER69"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="SER69"]PS3/360 fanboys are cute. They diss and hate on Nintendo just because they want them to go third party so they can play awesome games. Hugs condescendly.hakanakumono

No, nintendo games aren't worth the wii console but they'd be nice to play on a console worth paying for.

And that's because your "worth paying for" console is selling more than the Wii right?.... right?

What do sales have to do with anything? You're changing the subject.

The wii's exclusives are simply not worth buying a wii. Maybe if nintendo produced 3 full fledged mario games for the wii, I would consider the system.

But nintendo games are games you play when you don't want to play the more serious games that you own. Thats the way its always been for me, at least. Rather than a wii, I'll probably just re-buy Super Mario 64.

yes I would say sales are pretty relevant considering it was because of low SALES nintendo's main competitor of old sega went third party.

wow ..3 full fledged mario games on one system? when have they ever done that? not counting super mario 2 which was loosely based on the main series.

and really...serious games? wtf is gaming coming too? I guess you mean games like MGS4, but that game was fun at its core.

#-46 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
No, and for a variety of reasons. First of all, games are usually (though not always) better when developed with a single platform in mind, and one of the reasons that Nintendo's games are so good is because they know their own hardware. Second, I think almost everyone can find merit in the DS regardless of their issues with the Wii. The DS has the best and most diverse library of any system this generation, Also, I refuse to pay more than 300 dollars for any console, period. If the Wii and DS didn't exist, I'd only own a PSP this generation. I also happen to think that some great things can still be done with the motion controls and the pointer. Wario Ware was awesome with Wii controls, Galaxy's waggle and pointer elements worked well, Metroid Prime 3 controlled beautifully, and MotionPlus is coming soon.
#-45 Posted by Ewok432 (425 posts) -

No, and for a variety of reasons. First of all, games are usually (though not always) better when developed with a single platform in mind, and one of the reasons that Nintendo's games are so good is because they know their own hardware. Second, I think almost everyone can find merit in the DS regardless of their issues with the Wii. The DS has the best and most diverse library of any system this generation, Also, I refuse to pay more than 300 dollars for any console, period. If the Wii and DS didn't exist, I'd only own a PSP this generation. I also happen to think that some great things can still be done with the motion controls and the pointer. Wario Ware was awesome with Wii controls, Galaxy's waggle and pointer elements worked well, Metroid Prime 3 controlled beautifully, and MotionPlus is coming soon.famicommander

i agree with this poast, even if you dont like the wii there is no denying that the ds is a beast far bigger than any of the consoles could hope to be.

#-44 Posted by blazinpuertoroc (12212 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"][QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

god no mario with a gun=bad

samus looking like a doa girl =bad

DK with sunglasses bandanna and baggy jeans= bad

photo realistic kirby = ewwwwwww

insanejedi

Is there something wrong with that?

Kind've because even though it would be great to look at it wouldn't match Samus' Characteristics and Personality. That is the bad part.

Excuse me?

sadg

Ayane in her VR suit already looks like Samus... If anything this would be a perfect fit.

whoa HAWT
#-43 Posted by Rahnyc4 (6597 posts) -
if nintendo went third party who will sony and microsoft copy from? each other? nawh, there clones of each other already.
#-42 Posted by Firelore29 (4158 posts) -

Let me simply ask why in heavens name would they want to do that? I would like to remind everyone that Nintendo is one of the very few video game companies that is actually making money and has ALWAYS made money.

Last time I checked virtually every video game producer is struggling. There are a few exceptions but most are having serious difficulties with the move to HD. Why would they want to be lumped in with them?

#-41 Posted by noi07 (74 posts) -

if nintendo went third party who will sony and microsoft copy from? each other? nawh, there clones of each other already. Rahnyc4

I begin to think that Sony and Microsoft as the Tweedledee and Tweedledum of the video game industry.

#-40 Posted by proud722 (1463 posts) -
I wish nintendo pulled out of the console race and went handheld only but third party? No.
#-39 Posted by Popadophalis (1587 posts) -
Absolutely not. Nintendo going third party would have been terrible for the industry. Stagnation was rife within the industry before the DS and wii launched so if anything Nintendo has saved gaming.
#-38 Posted by starmetroid (5000 posts) -
If Nintendo went 3rd party and only supported one console than the console they chose could probably destroy the other one and leave us with one console
#-37 Posted by proud722 (1463 posts) -

Absolutely not. Nintendo going third party would have been terrible for the industry. Stagnation was rife within the industry before the DS and wii launched so if anything Nintendo has saved gaming.Popadophalis

If anything I feel they've brought out a whole new kind of stagnation in their own right. Innovation is only one part of a good game.

#-36 Posted by MysticDynamite (2013 posts) -

You still have the option of playing with a conventional controller on the Wii.

But I do agree if the next Nintendo console got a graphics update it would be awesome.

#-35 Posted by Popadophalis (1587 posts) -

[QUOTE="Popadophalis"]Absolutely not. Nintendo going third party would have been terrible for the industry. Stagnation was rife within the industry before the DS and wii launched so if anything Nintendo has saved gaming.proud722

If anything I feel they've brought out a whole new kind of stagnation in their own right. Innovation is only one part of a good game.

I'm referring to the way that M$ and Sony exclusively target the 18-30 year old males which is an unsustainable business strategy.

#-34 Posted by FerdMertz (1034 posts) -
[QUOTE="FerdMertz"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Nope, I'm glad they brought out the Wii. Definitely something different from the PS3 and 360. If it were up to the other two, they'd want us to continue paying $350+ prices for consoles and $60 pop a game. No thank you.

shadow_hosi

Get a job and some responsibilities............I'm in good shape (6'1"/175lbs.) and the last thing I wanna do after a full day of work, raising kids, working out, cooking and cleaning is jumping jacks while I wind down for bed with a game. Your the one that started with the assumptions when you made the one guy out to be a sloth because he doesn't want to wave his arms around. And again with the flabby arms remark.......I'm probably in better shape than you.

the point still remains (way to break the quote btw) that you are, infact, BSing how much you have to do to play the wii, it dosent take big movements to do stuff, you can play anythign with simple movements of your wrist (is that to hard for you too? i mean, your saying 'jumping jacks' were as the wii only knows your arms are moving up and down so why jump?) or are you lazy/slow and dont relaise that fact? or just trying to bash the wii because you are jealous of its sucess over *insert console name here*?

Im glad i got my wii and i cant wait for the next zelda and mario games to come out, and hopefully well be seeing more DK stuff

HaHa, yeah sorry about screwing up the quoate earlier, posting from a PS3 sucks. Once there's so much text it stops you from adding anymore and I had to butcher our posts to reply. Of course I overdramatized how much you move your arms with the Wii, but that doesn't change the fact that I find it annoying.......my point is by the time I get around to sitting down to play a game at the end of the day, I'm worn out and don't wanna move much at all (at least not while gaming). For the record I think your understating the amount you move to play the Wii too.......I had Wii sports, Rampage, Red Steel and some Kornikopia Marble game and you can't just sit there with your hands on your lap wiggling your hands.

#-33 Posted by osan0 (12633 posts) -

ewww..god no. i think the wiimote for most games is an improvement..a step up. as i said in another thread..i miss it when i cant use it. its second only to the mouse and keyboard imho. i wish i could use the wiimote and nunchuck in gears and uncharted and halo3....traditional controllers are just so sloppy and inprecise.

it would have been nice for nintendo to be a bit more ambitous with the guts of the machine mind. but tis not the end fo the world and the lack of hardware is also giving some devs a new lease of "balls of steel" which i always like to see.

but no definately not for ninty going 3rd party. the wii is a great console, the wiimote and nunch are also great (though not perfect) and, frankly, we need one company that has the balls to think outside the box. otherwise the console market would just become a very dull and boring place. every new gen, same controller, more bloatware, higher costs and just an increase in horsepower. that just aint pretty. nor is it sustainable. that thinking will lead to a market crash.

if the wii gets MS and sony to become more focused when making their consoles and gets them to cut out the crap then it will have done the console market a great service (and if MS and sony can get ninty back into the horsepower race then all the better).

#-32 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"][QUOTE="SER69"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="SER69"]PS3/360 fanboys are cute. They diss and hate on Nintendo just because they want them to go third party so they can play awesome games. Hugs condescendly.fbigent34

No, nintendo games aren't worth the wii console but they'd be nice to play on a console worth paying for.

And that's because your "worth paying for" console is selling more than the Wii right?.... right?

The wii's exclusives are simply not worth buying a wii. Maybe if nintendo produced 3 full fledged mario games for the wii, I would consider the system.

But nintendo games are games you play when you don't want to play the more serious games that you own. Thats the way its always been for me, at least. Rather than a wii, I'll probably just re-buy Super Mario 64.

really how about trying a wii before you keep making lame excuses up.

I have tried a wii.

Why should I need excuses when I have reasons? A bad lineup is a good reason.

#-31 Posted by Jakendo (3841 posts) -

Sega hasnt really been the same since they went 3rd party...

I dont want that to happen to Nintendo

#-30 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"][QUOTE="SER69"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="SER69"]PS3/360 fanboys are cute. They diss and hate on Nintendo just because they want them to go third party so they can play awesome games. Hugs condescendly.DaSorcerer77

yes I would say sales are pretty relevant considering it was because of low SALES nintendo's main competitor of old sega went third party.

wow ..3 full fledged mario games on one system? when have they ever done that? not counting super mario 2 which was loosely based on the main series.

and really...serious games? wtf is gaming coming too? I guess you mean games like MGS4, but that game was fun at its core.

And how is that relevant? It's not. We're not talking about Sega either.

They've never done that, you're right. That doesn't mean they shouldn't.

Its hard to explain what a serious game is. By no means am I saying that fun games aren't serious games. Basically, ... Mario is a fun platformer but its just not ... it can't compare to titles that try to do something with the gaming platform to tell a story or something like that. Something with more value than just fun.

#-29 Posted by proud722 (1463 posts) -
[QUOTE="proud722"]

[QUOTE="Popadophalis"]Absolutely not. Nintendo going third party would have been terrible for the industry. Stagnation was rife within the industry before the DS and wii launched so if anything Nintendo has saved gaming.Popadophalis

I was referring to the way that M$ and Sony exclusively target the 18-30 year old males which is an unsustainable business strategy.

That's about as reasonable as saying nintendo exclusively targets the 6-14 age group. Whoever their targeted audience may be you can tell the 12 year olds on gears about microsoft and sonys unsustainable business strategy. Nintendo does make more kid friendly games, there's no doubt about that. But that doesn't stop some of those kids eventually wanting to play games that are ment for an older audience. If they didn't then there probably wouldn't be such a harsh penalty on sales assistants to accidentally sell games to those underaged. Once those kids have access to these games sony and microsoft have got their next generation of customers. Of course this isn't the only way their market is going to get new customers, its just the one I want to highlight.

#-28 Posted by Popadophalis (1587 posts) -
[QUOTE="Popadophalis"][QUOTE="proud722"]

[QUOTE="Popadophalis"]Absolutely not. Nintendo going third party would have been terrible for the industry. Stagnation was rife within the industry before the DS and wii launched so if anything Nintendo has saved gaming.proud722

I was referring to the way that M$ and Sony exclusively target the 18-30 year old males which is an unsustainable business strategy.

That's about as reasonable as saying nintendo exclusively targets the 6-14 age group. Whoever their targeted audience may be you can tell the 12 year olds on gears about microsoft and sonys unsustainable business strategy. Nintendo does make more kid friendly games, there's no doubt about that. But that doesn't stop some of those kids eventually wanting to play games that are ment for an older audience. If they didn't then there probably wouldn't be such a harsh penalty on sales assistants to accidentally sell games to those underaged. Once those kids have access to these games sony and microsoft have got their next generation of customers. Of course this isn't the only way their market is going to get new customers, its just the one I want to highlight.

Yea Nintendo has always been good at bringing young new gamers in but the resl concern was with gamer drift. Many gamers were growing jaded of the same repetitive games and were leaving the industry. It was clearly seen in Japan where games sales were sropping dramatically.

#-27 Posted by nintendoman562 (5593 posts) -
They said they would quit games altogether if they went bankrupt.
#-26 Posted by -Xeno- (454 posts) -
As of right now I can't say I'd be too distressed. My favourite Wii game is by far Super Smash Bros Brawl, and playing it with prettier textures would be nicer. Same for my other favourite Wii games, none really need the Wiimote so I might as well have enjoyed them with better graphics. Looking towards the future though....I think it's best that Nintendo did make the Wii. Wii sports shows a lot of potential for the wii, it's just a shame that it's little more than a tech demo. Mario Sluggers can't come fast enough. Surprisingly I think that Escape from bug island shows great use of the Wiimote and leaves a lot of promise, and it's surprising to me that if a game like this can make good use of the Wiimote then why is Nintendo lagging so far behind? they should be making the best games, but smash bros doesn't need it, mario galaxy's waggle doesn't count, and it was just tacked on in zelda. Nintendo should be the one selling this to us and there hasn't been enough, Wii sports worked but again it wasn't much of a game. I can let off Zelda since it was a GC game, but hopefully the next Zelda and the next Mario make better use of it. In fact if Mairo Galaxy's spin attack was the best use they could think of for it I'd much rather have them create new IPs :| I love the virtual console, more so than XBL and PSN in terms of quality.....unfortunately it's hindered by Nintendo's stupid memory limitations. Wii has a lot of potential which should make it worthwhile, but right now Nintendo seems content to waste it.
#-24 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16880 posts) -
No, there will always be tons of Nintendo fans out there.
#-23 Posted by glitchgeeman (5638 posts) -

No, because inevitably, another company would release a console knowing Nintendo was out of the way. Could be anyone, Apple, EA, hell, maybe even Sega would give it another shot, and honestly, the idea of any of those 3 making consoles is infinitely more undesirable than Nintendo.

Besides, if Nintendo went 3rd party, their classics wouldn't be classics anymore. And in a worst case scenario, they could go the way of Sega and their quality could die off.

#-22 Posted by smileypwnsu (1 posts) -
The sega situation is relevant because it is the same position nintendo is now... thats like saying that Sony/MS shouldnt think about what nintendo did in its days of dominance. Nintendo will never go third party because of its loyal fanbase. I bet within 10 years when those 8 yr olds that like wii are 18, Nintendo will go into the hardcore gaming scene again. Nintendo is really good at making a stable fanbase.
#-21 Posted by imaps3fanboy (11172 posts) -

to the PS3 or X360, in true 1080p HD, beautiful graphics, playing on a conventional controller and voice acting throughout?

ElectronicMagic

does the 360 run in 1080p? thought the highest for the 360 was 1080i, not nit picking theres literally no visible difference, was just wondering though.

On - topic:

Yes, I hate my wii, havent played in 9 months, I can see how it would appeal to some, but for my benefit I would rather it be a 3rd party company.

#-20 Posted by bubbleboyii (550 posts) -

Okay. I know I usually preach my hatred against the Wii, but seriously, Nintendo did a good job. I just happen to find motion controls to be gimmick, but anyone who challenges the Wii's success is just in denial. I just wish some 3rd party developers would actually make some good games for it, instead of Nintendo's first party holding everything together.

#-19 Posted by wooooode (16665 posts) -
I would like to see a Zelda at todays standards.
#-18 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -
The sega situation is relevant because it is the same position nintendo is now... thats like saying that Sony/MS shouldnt think about what nintendo did in its days of dominance. Nintendo will never go third party because of its loyal fanbase. I bet within 10 years when those 8 yr olds that like wii are 18, Nintendo will go into the hardcore gaming scene again. Nintendo is really good at making a stable fanbase.smileypwnsu
I see the dark arts of thread necromancy being performed here. Let threads that died over a year ago remain dead.