Anyone else waiting for MS to... ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

Anyone else waiting for MS to drop the kinect before purchasing an xbox one?

So far this gen I have a WiiU and a PS4, but I really want to have all three consoles. Lately I've been thinking about picking up an Xbox One. The problem is that even with the cash in hand, I simply refuse to purchase one until the Kinect is removed. I flat out refuse to spend $100 on something that I'll never use and bloats the price of the machine... $400 seems like a fair price point... $500? Sorry MS.

Anyone else that currently owns a next gen console waiting for this to happen before "jumping in?" Also for those that own both PS4 and Xbox One what's your honest opinion... is it worth $500?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I'm waiting for another retail exclusive to come out. Been since launch. Come on MS, release some games.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Even if it drops kinect, it will still be crap.

Worst hardware, worst first-party support,...

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

MS won't drop Kinect, it's part of the console now and not just a peripheral. A price drop will come but don't expect to see Kinectless units sold. Better games and a price drop is all it needs.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gesyma

Yeah the only games i"m really interested in at this point are Killer Instinct, the new Gears game, and possibly TitanFall but the next one will be multiplat and I can get it on my 360 if I really want to play it... something about the shininess of a new console always makes me bite tho... -____-

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Without Kinect, the xbone is just a weak ps4. MS would be stupid to remove their defining feature.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Gesyma said:

So far this gen I have a WiiU and a PS4, but I really want to have all three consoles. Lately I've been thinking about picking up an Xbox One. The problem is that even with the cash in hand, I simply refuse to purchase one until the Kinect is removed. I flat out refuse to spend $100 on something that I'll never use and bloats the price of the machine... $400 seems like a fair price point... $500? Sorry MS.

Anyone else that currently owns a next gen console waiting for this to happen before "jumping in?" Also for those that own both PS4 and Xbox One what's your honest opinion... is it worth $500?

MS will not drop Kinect. It is pivotal for the XB1 experience.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gesyma

@Postosuchus: yeah but who cares if they have sick exclusives right? I mean last gen both consoles were essentially the same as well... the differentiator was the games (as a result I owned both). I don't think xbox needs kinect, in fact I think most people don't even use it and I haven't seen any earth shattering games for it. They could make it optional if they wanted to...

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gesyma

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:

What makes it so pivotal to the experience... from what I've gathered from current xbox one owners it's kinda finicky with the voice commands and easily trollable... not to mention that there's really nothing exciting on the horizon for it... unless I missed something. I think they could totally drop it and make it optional. When/if they do I'll be in line with cash in hand.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

I'm waiting for a new console in 5 to 8 years which hopefully won't be dumbed down again due to another Kinect.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gesyma

@Murderstyle75: Yeah man, I honestly wish they could have a "do over"

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

As an Xbone owner, I have unplugged the Kinect for the most part. I don't find the experience pivotal. Yeah, it can sign in by voice if I repeat myself two-three times, but I'd rather just hit the little Xbox button on the controller. It can auto sign my gamertag after that in using Kinect to recognize me saving me a few seconds from hitting 'yes that's me', but the Xbox 360 could auto sign in without Kinect recognition, so the Xbone could too if M$ had designed it that way. They could fix that with an update. They just shoehorn Kinect using every chance they can but when you think about it, it isn't needed. That means we need good, hardcore Kinect games, and they don't exist. I don't use hand gestures ever. I just use the pins because the UI is a mess. Even the achievements are a choir to look at, you got to hit the achievement app, they wait while it loads up and then it's organized horribly. The 360 does it so much better. There is no Kinect AAA games that I want, it's just not for me. As an owner of other machines, I have games that people would rather tinker with that are a better use of their times like the Halo, LittleBigPlanet, Puppeteer, or Mario 3D World.

I can see a Kinectless sku working in the market place alongside a Kinect machine and to answer, yes the machine works without Kinect plugged in, but I don't care what they do they already got my money. If you want to play Titanfall or Killer Instinct with me, PM me. Both are Xbone games I can play with you, whatevs.

In a perfect situation, they just leave it as it is but continue to drop the prices. I said last year that in 2014, this year, it would get a price drop. I'm not talking about the temporary $450 at select retailers (Target, Amazon, Best Buy, M$ store, Walmart, etc). I'm talking a real price drop. It may be at E3 or this holiday. Obviously bundles will be announced as well. They can do it by dropping Kinect or by taking the hit and leaving it all in the box.

Due to the Xbone hardware being weaker and if Kinect was pulled out, the machine I would hope would be $300-$350 without Kinect, $350-$400 w/Kinect. It will take some time, but something is coming this year....unless TitanFall really does move so many units they just decide to wait till the holidays for a proper price drop instead of E3.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

Nope, wife wants me to buy a second one for the den (have one in my man cave), mostly because of the Kinect.

Avatar image for Silent-Assasin7
Silent-Assasin7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Silent-Assasin7
Member since 2006 • 1496 Posts

People don't have enough faith in the Kinect. The voice and gesture commands for navigating the OS and browsing the net are very intuitive and also fun, Kinect Sports Rivals is actually quite fun, and the mo-cap feature of Project Spark demonstrates the accuracy and potential of the Kinect. If VR is on Microsoft's horizon, the Kinect will also play a very key role in that, giving the XBO a huge advantage over PS4 in that regard. If you're an Xbox fan but don't like the Kinect, you might not be giving it a fair chance.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StormyJoe

@Gesyma said:

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:

What makes it so pivotal to the experience... from what I've gathered from current xbox one owners it's kinda finicky with the voice commands and easily trollable... not to mention that there's really nothing exciting on the horizon for it... unless I missed something. I think they could totally drop it and make it optional. When/if they do I'll be in line with cash in hand.

I don't know who you are talking to, but for me the voice commands are about 99% accurate (launch it was about 80-90%). The motion controls are spot on.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

No, I don't care for Xbox consoles since 2007.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Kinect or not, I don't think I could justify buying any console unless it was around $100.

Kinect is pretty awesome though.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

It won't happen.

The X1 is more or less designed around the irritating POS.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Drop kinect and the stupid bloated operating system and free up some CPU/GPU cycles and some memory for the developers to use to make better games with.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#20 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Nope. I have a life to live, and I am not waiting on things beyond my control. I wanted to play DR3, KI and Titanfall, so I bought it. I also got to enjoy gaming and watching Olympic hockey in pure lazy fashion, Skype with 2 different members of my friends list during the games. I really enjoy the console. Now I'm hoping my local Gamestop still has that PS4 (doubt it) by Friday when my check gets here. Infamous is calling!!

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

$400 isn't a fair price either. If Sony can charge 400 for a more power machine, MS should be charging less as their product is inferior. Needs to be 299 without the dumb camera before I buy one.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gesyma

Interesting, so it seems like there are quite a few who are waiting for a price drop and a kinectless sku before picking one up... I'm sure microsoft is aware of this. E3 will be interesting this year for sure.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@StormyJoe: Of course it is pivotal. They have a shitty, impossible to navigate interface. The only way you can actually use the console is with voice commands, otherwise you would never be able to figure out where things are.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

The fact that price drops are happening are not a good sign for people hoping that MSoft will drop Kinect. The other thing that does not bode well is that the goggles that MSoft is talking about have to use Kinect.

Those of you whiners that don't want Kinect have two options. Either buy the console and junk Kinect (which is mind boggling why anyone would be so stupid). The other option is to not purchase one.

You can chose but please stop spamming the boards begging for a Kinectless sku it is the equivalent of Cows begging for MSoft to make Live free. Now that Cows have spun around and had to pay for online without dedicated servers everything is ok there. Now they complain about Kinect when over a million cameras have been purchased on their own console and the VR goggles that Sony is pimping also require a camera.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@Gesyma said:

Time better spent waiting on the inevitable price drop. MS wont sell the One without Kinect, so they need to drop the price so people who don't want it wont have to pay for it. But those of us who do use Kinect, I want more features and games and updating so Im hoping we never see a Kinectless One.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Lets say they do and price drops to $399.99. Point of getting one? Its not like all of a sudden the system will become more powerful because its not bundled with a Kinect anymore. Its still is insanely underpowered POS but a POS sold for 399 instead of 499. What do you say? GAMES? Is games the reason to buy a system? What games exactly? If you spend half a grand to play Halo once per 3 years, Forza yearly and below average Fable games then i kinda feel bad for you. Xbone has no use, no matter the price its sold at. A freaking WiiU is more useful, A WIIIIIIU imagine that lol....

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

I've been saying it all along that the problem with X1 is not the price. It's the under powered hardware.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

Well I don't use Kinect too much but it does respond to my voice really well! I don't see the point in removing it as it is a part of the Xbox One package!

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gesyma
@kuu2 said:

The fact that price drops are happening are not a good sign for people hoping that MSoft will drop Kinect. The other thing that does not bode well is that the goggles that MSoft is talking about have to use Kinect.

Those of you whiners that don't want Kinect have two options. Either buy the console and junk Kinect (which is mind boggling why anyone would be so stupid). The other option is to not purchase one.

You can chose but please stop spamming the boards begging for a Kinectless sku it is the equivalent of Cows begging for MSoft to make Live free. Now that Cows have spun around and had to pay for online without dedicated servers everything is ok there. Now they complain about Kinect when over a million cameras have been purchased on their own console and the VR goggles that Sony is pimping also require a camera.

Dude seriously? You just had a cyber meltdown on a board full of strangers discussing video game consoles... wut?

...and you're probably wrong, I'm thinking we'll see a kinectless sku at e3, and when that happens, I'll pick one up.

ratchet_usa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ratchet_usa
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts

NO!

microsoft was really disappointing last gen with their stupid RROD fiasco.

Anybody stupid enough to trust microsoft again with their products must be an ignorant fool.

LanceX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 LanceX2
Member since 2014 • 312 Posts

Jesus fuxking Christ cow circle jerk in here

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gesyma

@lancex2: You think? I thought the thread was rather well balanced...

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StormyJoe

@prawephet said:

@StormyJoe: Of course it is pivotal. They have a shitty, impossible to navigate interface. The only way you can actually use the console is with voice commands, otherwise you would never be able to figure out where things are.

LOL!

Well, you have a point. I don't think the UI was thought through.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I just want a price drop. I'll probably wait a few years until it's $299. I did that with the Playstation 3 last gen. I bought an Xbox 360 for $399 and a PS3 for $299. Don't regret either. By then there should be enough exclusives and fun games worthy of my money. Until then I'll just rock out with my PC and PS4.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gesyma

@Wasdie said:

I just want a price drop. I'll probably wait a few years until it's $299. I did that with the Playstation 3 last gen. I bought an Xbox 360 for $399 and a PS3 for $299. Don't regret either. By then there should be enough exclusives and fun games worthy of my money. Until then I'll just rock out with my PC and PS4.

That's a pretty solid plan.