Anyone else think Batman Arkham games are overrated?

• 140 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

Now now my buddies, i do enjoy these games. even more than most crap these days like assassins creed. but i still think they are very overrated. once u played them. they become extremely boring. combat is good but simple one button and stealth is broken. it get too much praise from critics but they are nothing special.

discuss

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (56879 posts) -

No

#3 Edited by Underdog123x (266 posts) -

I thought Origins was decent, I'm sure Arkham Knights will make the franchise go out with a bang though. At least we don't have to worry about it getting milked and having 5 more iterations like Assassins Creed.

Arkham has so much going for it, source material, production values, voice acting, writing, story etc.

#4 Posted by lostrib (35766 posts) -

seriously, who thought it was a good idea to let Sniper come back?

#5 Posted by planbfreak4eva (2870 posts) -

I say yes. The first batman game just came out and it was on offer when you buy the first ps3 slim and just add 5 pounds. I got it. played 20 minutes of it or so. Hated it. Traded it in few days later for 25 pounds store credit.

I do not see why people praise it so much. I have seen more than enough gameplay of it, and to me. It is as bad as assassins creed.

#6 Posted by blangenakker (2291 posts) -

Nope. They're great games and are good at making you feel like Batman

#7 Edited by blamix99 (1821 posts) -

love them all, this is how i rate them

Arkham Asylum 9/10

Arkham City 9/10

Arkham Origins 7/10

Assassins Creed 8/10

Assassins Creed 2 9/10

Assassins Creed Brotherhood 9/10

Assassins Creed Revelations 8/10

Assassins Creed 3 8/10

Assassins Creed 4 9/10

#8 Edited by jg4xchamp (47862 posts) -

Depends:

Top of the line in their respective genre? Yeah in that case sure I'd say if someone is arguing that they are ignoring better beat em up games, and frankly superior stealth games as a whole. As a tweener it's not exactly cerebral enough to match the heights of OG Thief or Chaos Theory for that matter, and as a beat em up there are better battle systems, and ones that don't have straight up shitty boss fights(sans Mr Freeze, and I guess Ras Al Ghul was fun).

As legit well paced and well designed videogames? Absolutely not. They aren't overrated what so over if that's the label they are getting. They are very well thought out games, and few games balance two different gameplay styles as well as the Batman games do. If any for that matter.

#9 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8549 posts) -

Rocksteady Arkham games are one of the best ever and for example Arkham City has never even remotely felt repetitive even when I maxed it out doing all the side quests. Yet almost all sandbox games feel like repetitive garbage even before you hit 50% mark (apart from maybe Crackdown).

#10 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11514 posts) -

Uhm..... Yes ! But not extremely overated like Uncharted.... Just mildlly overated like TLOU.

Anyway lets get to your points. By one button stealth I'm assuming you mean how easy it is to take down thugs from behind especially with Multiple Vantage points that thugs can't see you on. And thats true.... But doesn't mean its incapable of more advanced methods of stealth.... All you gotta do is discipline yourself, challenge yourself to never repeat the same type of Take Down, no matter how many people there are in the room, its more than entirely possible. Or simply challenge yourself never to perform a Silent Take Down, and there only one type of Silent Take Down, The behind takedown. Its too easy so I make sure to only perform it once.

This is why I think the game is overated... But its Challenge mode addresses all that stuff so its not an issue.

#11 Posted by Krelian-co (10652 posts) -

is this another thread where you hate a great modern game so you can go and say how hardcore you are and random game from 19xx was better?

#12 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

They're goram amazing for what they're meant to be. Do you remember the Spiderman and Superman games? Even the Iron Man games are mediocre garbage compared to the Batman Arkham series, though not as bad as the aforementioned, IMO..

#13 Edited by Alcapello (879 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Uhm..... Yes ! But not extremely overated like Uncharted.... Just mildlly overated like TLOU.

Anyway lets get to your points. By one button stealth I'm assuming you mean how easy it is to take down thugs from behind especially with Multiple Vantage points that thugs can't see you on. And thats true.... But doesn't mean its incapable of more advanced methods of stealth.... All you gotta do is discipline yourself, challenge yourself to never repeat the same type of Take Down, no matter how many people there are in the room, its more than entirely possible. Or simply challenge yourself never to perform a Silent Take Down, and there only one type of Silent Take Down, The behind takedown. Its too easy so I make sure to only perform it once.

This is why I think the game is overated... But its Challenge mode addresses all that stuff so its not an issue.

Playing stealth in games these days is like playing the roulette, which is why I skip any game based around stealth altogether. Stealth worked in syphon filter because you got tools to make it work, now its just but sniffing 360 tangos.

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11514 posts) -

@ Alcapello

I have no Idea what that means.

#15 Edited by lamprey263 (23501 posts) -

Asylum was awesome, it was City that was overrated and everyone claiming it was an improvement. Being I couldn't trust popular opinion after that I didn't bother with the last game.

#16 Posted by Ballroompirate (22762 posts) -

@lostrib said:

seriously, who thought it was a good idea to let Sniper come back?

I'd like to know also, it's like banning someone means nothing here anymore, specially when you got idiots like sniper running around.

#17 Posted by santoron (7717 posts) -

Nope. I thought the last one was a bit lacking but still a fine game, and that seems to be the consensus. Asylum was one of my favorite games of last gen. A truly pleasant surprise.

#18 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

love them all, this is how i rate them

Arkham Asylum 9/10

Arkham City 9/10

Arkham Origins 7/10

Assassins Creed 8/10

Assassins Creed 2 9/10

Assassins Creed Brotherhood 9/10

Assassins Creed Revelations 8/10

Assassins Creed 3 8/10

Assassins Creed 4 9/10

The same ratings goes for me.

#19 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22119 posts) -

The combat is on the simple said with only using one button but is pretty funny. But I just wish rocksteady would adapt to a fighting system like in hack and slash games.

#20 Posted by nutcrackr (12523 posts) -

Asylum was great, a true surprise in the superhero genre that did more than enough to define itself. The next two games for me did not have anywhere near as much power. Still decent games, but I don't really get the extreme hype.

#22 Edited by sts106mat (19396 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 are you for real?

this has to be the most stupid thread you've ever made, which is really saying something. how anyone who considers themselves "a gamer" can ask that question, i dont know. even if you dont like batman, or action adventure games, the quality and design of the games cannot be denied.

some questions just shouldn't be asked

The combat is on the simple said with only using one button but is pretty funny. But I just wish rocksteady would adapt to a fighting system like in hack and slash games.

same question to you. are you for real?

the game requires the use of virtually every button of your controller during combat, you cannot win most fights with one button.

#23 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16259 posts) -

I don't really understand how this is an interesting discussion. Especially if the TC finds the topic boring as well. He calls the game boring and overrated, gave two half baked reasons why he hates the game, then expects everyone else to chime in on their thoughts.

These topics are so lazily made, why even bother putting down your thoughts on it?

#24 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11514 posts) -

@ sts106mat

Actually you can eventually win using only the Face buttons. And no quickfire gadgets. Thats the bare minimum for a fight consisting of Armoured thugs, Ninjas and Stun Rods.

Peoples main complaint is it doesn't force you to use all your moves.

My argument is it shouldn't have to. Its got plenty of optional variety and the challenge is there for those who want it.

Despite all that... Its still mildly overated. ;)

#25 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4642 posts) -

yeah thats right. you play them, they are fun while you play them, you do all the challenges, and then ... pretty much ... you've had enough.

i don't understand. because you can finish, the game loses awesomeness?

and one button ... batman has a sufficiently versatile, yet easy to memorize, intuitive moveset.

marksman1234 i see what you're saying, the games don't have magical incredible replayability. that's a fair criticism.

#26 Posted by gameofthering (10195 posts) -

It's not over-rated (Asylum & City) and (Origins) was giving the correct score as it wasn't as great.

#27 Posted by sts106mat (19396 posts) -

@ sts106mat

Actually you can eventually win using only the Face buttons. And no quickfire gadgets. Thats the bare minimum for a fight consisting of Armoured thugs, Ninjas and Stun Rods.

Peoples main complaint is it doesn't force you to use all your moves.

My argument is it shouldn't have to. Its got plenty of optional variety and the challenge is there for those who want it.

Despite all that... Its still mildly overated. ;)

so four buttons at a minimum and probably multiple deaths =

"one button win"

how is that true. also if he is trying to play the game like that, i am not surprised he thinks its boring. he probably doesn't have the skill to pull off 70+ combo streaks.

this thread sucks

#28 Edited by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

Gamers bitch and complain too much, nothing is ever good enough, no matter how hard the game tries. The Arkham games are amazing, and I've loved each and every one of them. When I go to pick up my Infamous copy I'll most likely throw down a pre-order on Arkham Knight too.

I'm so excited to see what they do with the next one, Arkham City was everything I've ever wanted in a Batman game so it'll be hard to match or even surpass. Now that you can drive the batmobile and the city will be like 10 times the size of Arkham City, they're just teasing me. Just take my moneys!!!

#29 Posted by Pffrbt (6553 posts) -

Yes. The combat is way too simplistic and the structure of the games often makes them get pretty boring, as is often the case with open world games. I'm also not a fan of hulk Batman. They're not bad games, but pretty overrated.

Gamers bitch and complain too much, nothing is ever good enough, no matter how hard the game tries.

Oh no, not dissenting opinions!!!

#30 Posted by Pffrbt (6553 posts) -

"one button win"

how is that true. also if he is trying to play the game like that, i am not surprised he thinks its boring. he probably doesn't have the skill to pull off 70+ combo streaks.

this thread sucks

Bayonetta it ain't. The combat really doesn't have much too it.

#31 Posted by trugs26 (5388 posts) -

To me, it is boring. The gameplay is too shallow. I wish they put that kind of effort into an 3D animated series (especially the quality of the trailers).

#32 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2455 posts) -

They are awesome!

#33 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

if it never called batman and different game with same gameplay than game would be complete crap. eitherway superhero are not my thing. batman is just "badass" version of superman. he dont even kill his enemies and he refuse to kill enemies.

#34 Posted by sts106mat (19396 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@sts106mat said:

"one button win"

this thread sucks

Bayonetta it ain't. The combat really doesn't have much too it.

yeah, cause in every batman film i've ever seen, batman is jumping around whilst spinning on his head shooting enemies from his feet. WTF do you want? it is not easy game to get super high combos, particularly on the harder settings when you are relying on visual clues instead of warning icons.

why dont you upload us an amazing gameplay video of your master skills on one of the challenge maps?

#35 Posted by groowagon (2800 posts) -

actually, no. i never played Asylum, but i thoroughly enjoyed City. it was actually way more than i expected it to be.

i don't usually like superhero games, because they are often complete bullshit, and rely on big sales simply because they have famous chracter on the game cover. i was very surprised to see that Arkham City actually had a good game there too.

#36 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11514 posts) -

@ sts106mat

I see what you.

Sadly Ive been on surfing the net so hard these past few days that It barely phazes me. :)

#37 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3536 posts) -

Sounds like you enjoy them.

#38 Edited by getyeryayasout (7356 posts) -

Licensed super hero games were just so bad for so long, these games seemed like a godsend. Maybe you're right, I love 'em though.

#39 Posted by AdobeArtist (22845 posts) -

This. Exactly this. What you most expect most of a super hero game, this delivers better than any other.

#40 Posted by sts106mat (19396 posts) -

if it never called batman and different game with same gameplay than game would be complete crap. eitherway superhero are not my thing. batman is just "badass" version of superman. he dont even kill his enemies and he refuse to kill enemies.

#41 Posted by getyeryayasout (7356 posts) -

@blangenakker said:

This. Exactly this. What you most expect most of a super hero game, this delivers better than any other.

Good point. Swooping in on a group of thugs and brutally beating the hell out of them...baaadaaassss! Traversal, detective work, combat, and stealth; Rocksteady nailed the formula. I'm Batman!

#42 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150708 posts) -

No

#43 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

why batman cant kill enemies? even those who can kill him yet he just knock them out... thats stupid

#44 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11514 posts) -

@ getyeryayasout

Don't forget the puzzles and now Multiplayer so teamwork too.

#45 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5391 posts) -
#46 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3536 posts) -
#47 Posted by sts106mat (19396 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

why batman cant kill enemies? even those who can kill him yet he just knock them out... thats stupid

go and watch batman begins, then come back

#48 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@sts106mat said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

go and watch batman begins, then come back

we are talking about games. not movies.

different universe.

#49 Posted by Vatusus (4593 posts) -

Only beat Arkham Asylum and yes, I found it overrated at the time. Will soon play Arkham City wich people say its a lot better so I'll see

#50 Posted by yokofox33 (29516 posts) -

Naw. I'm not even a big fan of Batman and I think the games are amazing. They deserve the praise they receive.