Anyone else happy Tomb Raider flopped in sales?

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

I do feel bad for Crystal Dynamics as they deserve more success for making a great game but Square Enix/MS deserve every bit of backlash for how they launched TR. ROTR selling this poorly means that these type of high profile deals that delay games on competing platforms will probably not happen as often because they kill any good will the series has with long time fans.

what say you system warriors?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Whats its sales?

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Pretty sad that you're happy about this, but okay.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

@drinkerofjuice: Square Enix turned their back on the Playstation Nation, they deserve to be punished for it

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

No, I'm not stupid, pathetic or petty enough to enjoy when good games don't sell well.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

No, objectively speaking, it's a better game than FO4 and deserves high sales. I'm not worried tho. They're two platforms left, it'll have higher sales.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 drinkerofjuice

@elpresador-911 said:

@drinkerofjuice: Square Enix turned their back on the Playstation Nation, they deserve to be punished for it

Think about what you said here, and then think about how pathetic it sounds.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

That is a really good point. I find it laughable that there are people here stating otherwise. How daft must one be? Exclusives are bad, timed or not. I hope more fail so that they are released on more platforms for more gamers to enjoy. Let companies doing these silly deals learn their lesson.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@elpresador-911 said:

I bet it sells more than Bloodborne.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Only a bitter fanboy and a hater of games would be happy about that. I'm extremely happy I got ROTR over FO4.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

Only sad cows are happy about it

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Looking forward to playing it on PC. From what I understand it's a high quality game, so the developer deserves a lot of sales.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Yes, im happy and is able to sleep well at night.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Only a bitter fanboy and a hater of games would be happy about that. I'm extremely happy I got ROTR over FO4.

Yes, only a bitter fanboy and a hater of games would be happy about developers realising that not doing exclusives and instead releasing games to as many gamers as possible is not a bad thing. Logic.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Yes, only a bitter fanboy and a hater of games would be happy about developers realising that not doing exclusives and instead releasing games to as many gamers as possible is a bad thing. Logic.

Well w/o exclusives consoles would be out of business very fast, they are required to keep em alive.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@sts106mat said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Looking forward to playing it on PC. From what I understand it's a high quality game, so the developer deserves a lot of sales.

its an excellent game. one of the best of 2015. I doubt its flopped in sales, they can't have been expecting it to be number one in a month where star wars, fallout and COD all drop.

it is the kind of game people will pick up and play when they are bored of COD and finished with fallout.

it was daft to release it same week as fallout 4, but it will sell regardless and i for one am looking forward to the first DLC pack.

Yeah it didn't survive the competition for media attention. Perhaps they should have matched it up against the release of Uncharted something that could have boosted sales for both games (as everyone would be debating which one was better). And like you said a release sometime after the big hitters would have been better.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#20 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

No. I want more games like this, even though I can't actually play it right now.

hansbeej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hansbeej
Member since 2014 • 320 Posts

I'm not happy about it; I like the rebooted take and hope this doesn't jeopardize its future. But I am not surprised it didn't do well. Edit: though I am surprised it straight flopped like it did.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't see why I should be happy, no.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

The only thing I care about is playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC and not interested playing the console versions.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

And why should anyone be happy for a game to not sell well lol? Fanboys are pathetic and funny to laugh at.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

I'm very glad. The 2013 Tomb Raider game was a piece of shit and this one is the exact same game again.

These games represent lowest common denominator, bare-bones games designed by a committee without any artistry or love put into them. Control is constantly taken away from you every few seconds so you can watch idiotic cutscenes showing you exactly what you would see if you just explored the level normally. Quicktime events are everywhere and are meaningless. Combat is the same dull third person shooter we've played a million times and platforming is the same garbage Uncharted / Assassins Creed style which requires no effort and is boring. The rest of the game is a mishmash of uninspired gameplay mechanics and a story that is so goddamn stupid anyone who thinks it is good MUST, by necessity, have terrible taste in stories.

Everyone bitched about how "dumb" the older games were, but look at them: They had actual, honest to god puzzles that required some real brain power to figure out. Most of the sloppy elements of their design stemmed from how new 3D was at the time; as the series progressed it evolved meaningfully while keeping an actual identity. The puzzles stayed good, everything else got better, and Tomb Raider was a worthwhile series. Now it's yet another totally soulless, meaningless AAA game that will be enjoyed for a week by casuals and forgotten forever.

EndlessOcean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 EndlessOcean
Member since 2015 • 60 Posts

Yes I'm happy. Don't like the direction the series went with the reboot and maybe low sales will mean another reboot. This time something closer to the pre 2013 games hopefully.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Not really a fan of Tomb Raider, I've never played any of its games so I really don't care either way.

It selling poorly is a good thing imho because i find the practice of timed-exclusive abhorrent. I can understand full exclusives but timed ones? It just feel like a lot of douche-baggery and if this helps to make studios think twice of doing this and upsetting their customer-base then so be it.

So yeah...bad for developers but in the long run i think the community benefits. Respect your customers more.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Cows gotta cow lol. :P

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

No I'm not happy. Turning multiplats into exclusives is always a bitchy move but I don't want the game like Tomb Raider to fail, because it deserves more sales and more games.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

No.....but it will sell a lot better on the PS4.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Why would I be happy about a normal game selling poorly? Your logic is "this game sold poorly because the timed exclusivity deal is limiting its sales". Okay, so then all exclusive games no matter what type of deal should sell poorly. This doesn't happen. If it sold poorly it isn't because of the deal. The deal was completely exogenous to the lower-than-expected sales, given that expected sales must have taken into account that it was releasing on a single platform. Therefore this will have no effect on future timed exclusivity deals. It's flawed logic.

So no. I'm not happy.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22632 Posts

Nope... and i have absolutely no issue with Microsoft buying a window of exclusivity with the franchise. I think the negativity towards this game is ridiculous on all levels. We should be celebrating that it's a significant improvement over its predecessor... Instead we're crying because some of us, (me included) have to wait a couple months to get a copy. It's lame.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Why would anyone be happy?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Wow. Games being held up for sale isn't a good thing. And I say this as someone with no interest in the game. If it hadn't been announced as a multi earlier in it's life cycle then maybe and that's a big maybe since it's a third party....it would be okay.

As for the sales I have no idea what they are but I'd image the X1 would be the platform with less sales anyway. I don't want to see games do bad. I just think your view is entirely too fan boyish and biased.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Of course no, no one want any game to flop!!!

On the other side though, SE and Ms will think twice before doing it again, and this is a good thing.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts
@Sollet said:

Why would anyone be happy?

If you don't like the game, but like the developers, I could see that someone would be happy because that would make it more likely that they stop doing the games you don't like and instead start to work on a game that you do like.

If Nintendo began making Call of Duty, I would be very happy if that didn't sell.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

What did they expect when release the game for only 1 platform that also have terrible/low userbase. Ps4 is the abvious choice this gen for console gamers anything else is just ******

But do i feel happy and sleep better at night cuz of it? no

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@davillain-: +1

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#39 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

That's just silly. Why would I be happy it didn't exceed sales expectations?

I'm pumped to finally play this come Christmas day.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By drinkerofjuice

@Big_Red_Button said:

I'm very glad. The 2013 Tomb Raider game was a piece of shit and this one is the exact same game again.

These games represent lowest common denominator, bare-bones games designed by a committee without any artistry or love put into them. Control is constantly taken away from you every few seconds so you can watch idiotic cutscenes showing you exactly what you would see if you just explored the level normally. Quicktime events are everywhere and are meaningless. Combat is the same dull third person shooter we've played a million times and platforming is the same garbage Uncharted / Assassins Creed style which requires no effort and is boring. The rest of the game is a mishmash of uninspired gameplay mechanics and a story that is so goddamn stupid anyone who thinks it is good MUST, by necessity, have terrible taste in stories.

Everyone bitched about how "dumb" the older games were, but look at them: They had actual, honest to god puzzles that required some real brain power to figure out. Most of the sloppy elements of their design stemmed from how new 3D was at the time; as the series progressed it evolved meaningfully while keeping an actual identity. The puzzles stayed good, everything else got better, and Tomb Raider was a worthwhile series. Now it's yet another totally soulless, meaningless AAA game that will be enjoyed for a week by casuals and forgotten forever.

For RoTR, this applies to the first hour of the game and that is it. So good job in more or less admitting that you haven't played the game you're speaking ill about.

And the reason why the older games required more of a thought process to figure puzzles out is due to the fact that when you're dropped in a level, you're given absolutely no indication as to what to do or where to go. That right there is just poor game design.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Nope.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Since no numbers are posted, I'll make this statement. The game sales didn't flop and units sold were on par with sales of previous Tomb Raider on xbox 360/xbox one.

Finally, wait until the game releases on PS4/Ps3 and PC. Then we will see if the sales flopped compared to previous Tomb Raider.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'm no expert, but it seems to me the game is selling great considering the insane competition its had, the bulk of which comes from releasing on the same day as Fallout 4. I don't think they expected it to sell much more than this. It seems to be enjoying low but steady sales, I think I saw it at number 8 or 9 on Amazon a few days ago. I'm loving it way more than the first one....they did a great job with the snow environments.

As for the OP, I'm never happy when another game does not sell well, that kind of thinking brings no value to my life, I usually focus on things I enjoy.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Wow. Games being held up for sale isn't a good thing. And I say this as someone with no interest in the game. If it hadn't been announced as a multi earlier in it's life cycle then maybe and that's a big maybe since it's a third party....it would be okay.

As for the sales I have no idea what they are but I'd image the X1 would be the platform with less sales anyway. I don't want to see games do bad. I just think your view is entirely too fan boyish and biased.

How is his view fanboyish exactly? Normal people don't get happy when good games don't sell well. These deals happen all the time.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Let's not forget the fact that Rise of the Tomb Raider also release on the same day for Fallout 4 and there was no way that Rise of the Tomb Raider wasn't gonna do well and MS knows it but went ahead and release it when Rise of the tomb Raider should have been release early before Fallout 4.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Not really. That would like being happy when Street Fighter 5 sales poorly on the PS4. That is a win for nobody.

KillOnSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#47 KillOnSight
Member since 2015 • 458 Posts

Yes im happy and i find it hilarious if im honest, SE&Ms got exactly what they deserve, they both lost money and tarnished their already tattered reputation.. This is justice ladies and gentlemen.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@howmakewood said:

Only sad cows are happy about it

Obviously lems are extremely happy about the sales. The best game on the console and they ignored it for a marginal Halo.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

yes, but not because of fanboy reasons. I have an Xbone, so I could easily buy it now if i want to.

However, I refuse to let these companies think it's ok to do this. Both MS and CD (or Square, whoever made the deal) need to be taught this lesson. Instead of buying games that were already getting made to exclude them from other systems, permanently or temporarily, you should be spending that money to MAKE new games.

all this move did was piss off the greater majority of Tomb Raider's fanbase (look at sales for the series, especially the last game. PS systems had over half and PC was the 2nd largest demographic) Making them arbitrarily wait because you got greedy is pathetic. Even more pathetic though? For once, they actually admitted outright that the exclusivity for the Xbox was only timed BEFORE the game even came out. All that likely did was hurt sales even more cause now you won't have people going out to buy Xbone's to play this game unless they are absolutely desperate for something to play NOW.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

I'm happy

They released it on consoles first. They could have increased their sales had they wait a few months for the port to be ready. They would have missed Christmas/Holiday sale but they could have used he time to polish up the game but nooooooo

So I'm happy