Anyone else find Assassins Creed highly overrated?

• 88 results
PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Are we in such a black hole of mediocrity that people praise the AC franchise so much? The combat is bad, the AI is bad, you kill someone in front of 200 people and they don't even notice it. The game just completely sucks. I rented part 2 and turned it off after 20 minutes thats how stupid it was. Why do these games sell so much every single year? The commercial for Unity looks cool but I know once I play it, it will be NOTHING like the commercial.

Anyone else think its overrated?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I'm pretty sure there's not a single soul on this planet that feels the same way.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

"I rented part 2 and turned it off after 20 minutes thats how stupid it was"

so you didn't get past the tutorials

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

No, but your threads are overrated.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Very true....

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Gee, what an unpopular opinion

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I haven't really enjoyed an AC game since Brotherhood and I chalk a lot of that up to the settings of the games since Revelations being very uninspired and less interesting than Renaissance Italy.

I'm still pretty skeptical of AC Unity but I've wanted a French Revolution AC game since the series began and there are a decent amount of changes to the series with this one.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PS4hasNOgames

@LJS9502_basic said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Very true....

I'd rather be overrated than underpaid.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I didn't get past the first one, so I can't really say

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I agree completely 100%. It's beyond me how this garbage sells every year, and this is coming from someone who owns every single CoD game. The game play in ass bleed sucks. The ai like you said is terrible. The way you hide and get away is even worse. I've never seen anything in gaming as dumb as the eagle dive into hay bales. Not to mention, the automated platforming is about as casual as it gets.

I firmly believe that Assassin's Creed is the most overrated garbage franchise of the last 10 years.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Are we in such a black hole of mediocrity that people praise the AC franchise so much? The combat is bad, the AI is bad, you kill someone in front of 200 people and they don't even notice it. The game just completely sucks. I rented part 2 and turned it off after 20 minutes thats how stupid it was. Why do these games sell so much every single year? The commercial for Unity looks cool but I know once I play it, it will be NOTHING like the commercial.

I've always contended that it's the absolute worst of the major publishers' big franchises; it baffles my mind that people constantly insult CoD (which has very solid foundations and fairly consistent quality), yet rarely mention AssCreed. I wouldn't say the combat is terrible, but it's certainly nowhere near Arkham quality. My biggest issue with the series has always been its horrendous contextual controls, which inadvertently cause your character to do things you never intended for them to do like accidentally running up a wall. I never understood how the people that made Prince of Persia could **** up the basic controls of their game so much. I also dislike how the series pretends to be a stealth game, but really isn't--it's just a shitty action adventure franchise with lame missions. People will put up with a lot of mediocrity if the setting is good enough, and AssCreed always has had interesting locales.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PS4hasNOgames

@cfisher2833 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

I've always contended that it's the absolute worst of the major publishers' big franchises; it baffles my mind that people constantly insult CoD (which has very solid foundations and fairly consistent quality), yet rarely mention AssCreed. I wouldn't say the combat is terrible, but it's certainly nowhere near Arkham quality. My biggest issue with the series has always been its horrendous contextual controls, which inadvertently cause your character to do things you never intended for them to do like accidentally running up a wall. I never understood how the people that made Prince of Persia could **** up the basic controls of their game so much. I also dislike how the series pretends to be a stealth game, but really isn't--it's just a shitty action adventure franchise with lame missions. People will put up with a lot of mediocrity if the setting is good enough, and AssCreed always has had interesting locales.

Maybe because I grew up on games like metal gear solid and splinter cell and syphon filter...because as soon as I put on AssCreed i felt the quality was no up to par.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PS4hasNOgames

@Gamerno6666 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

jealousy and envy coming from my enemies.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts
@ps4hasnogames said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Maybe because I grew up on games like metal gear solid and splinter cell and syphon filter...because as soon as I put on AssCreed i felt the quality was no up to par.

based on your posts, I'm not sure you have grown up

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Do we really need to tell you this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

You don't even like gaming anymore.... maybe your sense of being a "gamer" is overated.

and lol at the Halo 2 best FPS ever thread... christ.... you can tell you have been a peasant all your life.... no wonder your bored with gaming this gen.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I think it's underrated, way too many people can't seem to see past the whole "too many sequels", "greedy publisher" "same game every year" bullshit. If you forget about that stuff (which is irrelevant) you're left with a great franchise.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

jealousy and envy coming from my enemies.

Yeah that's probably it. Sure

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

I think it's underrated, way too many people can't seem to see past the whole "too many sequels", "greedy publisher" "same game every year" bullshit. If you forget about that stuff (which is irrelevant) you're left with a great franchise.

And for being an annual franchise there is a surprising amount of effort put into making each game feel unique.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

I think that the franchise is being milked to ridiculous levels but one thing that I have to disagree with is that the combat is bad. I think that AC has the best combat system compared to any other game.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

I'm with op, gave 1, 2, 3 and Black Flag a try. They all bored the crap outta me, wayyyyyyyy too repetitive.

creezysheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 creezysheezy
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Incredibly shallow play systems. Missed opportunities to represent historical melee combat techniques and their nuances.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

More than highly overrated. Its the most overrated franchise in history. Ass Creed Parity will come out and people be like "i was skeptical at first but then bought the game and its amazing"... people say this every single year even tho they're playing recycled trash. How the hell can people enjoy the gameplay of this game? I really don't get it. Its the same trash with a bs story and ridiculously shitty/easy combat system. Its the kind of games you let a none gamer try and he/she may be impressed but come'on, gamers enjoy this kind of shallowness? God dayuuum

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I thought the first game was interesting as a new IP once upon a time (when it was new) and it peaked with AC2. It's another annualized, milked series that I don't care about anymore much like Call of Duty and Madden.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Highly? No. Slightly? Yes.

For the most part, they are 8/10 games that have a plethora of content but a lot of repetition.

Personally, I love them, but stopped after Revelations. Repetition and all.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#27 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Any game where the character wears a hood and works alone is bound to be popular. Add into that the killing and stupid acrobatics, and people think they're playing as a 'badass', then all the requirements are met...

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

It's mindless stress free fun in an open world. Love the historical settings and gameplay but which there was a harder difficulty option. But yeah, if it wasn't a AAA game from a big publisher it would be rated alot lower.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By parkurtommo

@princeofshapeir said:

@parkurtommo said:

And for being an annual franchise there is a surprising amount of effort put into making each game feel unique.

Yeah, but it makes sense. Ubisoft has a ton of different teams. I wonder what the full development cycle for an Ac game actually is. 2 years?

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

I think they all look pretty much the same...Gameplay wise. Though I haven't actually sat down and played most of them, so I can't say for sure.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

What you know for once i agree with TC. To be fair though i only played 1 and 2 but after those 2 i lost every will to play any sequel . Boring and repetitive games with mediocre combat

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

I don't find it overrated but I accept its not my cup of tea anymore. I liked the first, monotonous as it was, loved 2, Brotherhood I didn't finish nor Revelations and 3,4. I just got tired of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57de35bf0f08e
deactivated-57de35bf0f08e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57de35bf0f08e
Member since 2014 • 386 Posts

Black Flag was fantastic so it gives me high hopes for Unity.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I wouldn't say the series is over-rated, but I do believe the series peaked with the Enzio Trilogy. Personally I lost interest in AC3, and AC4 after only a few hours. Hopefully Unity and Rouge will be better otherwise I doubt I will even mess with the series in the future.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@parkurtommo said:

Wha?

What Assassins Creed game feels "unique"?

Even when they tried the pirate sh*t in Black Flag, it still consisted of the the exact same gameplay mechanics and shitty AI that have been present since the original.

At it's heart, it's basically a fucking roof hopping simulator.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

One and three were pretty horrible or "overrated" depedning on how you look at them, the gameplay has been pretty solid for the series but GD the story has been horrible.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#37 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I'm not sure . I hated AC 3 but loved AC 4 . Will have to see how newer games turn out . Revelations is my personal favorite because of characters and storyline but as an overall package , Black Flag is best . Very few games these days make me want to spend entire day , to play the game and Black Flag is one of those games. Now it's Divinity : Original Sin . Before that , it was Witcher 2 , 3 year ago .

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Oh god that series -.- It is kind of interresting, with near every game Ive had people tell me that teh game is "way better" and nope. The Assassins Creed series is pretty damn bad.

With the possible exception of AC4, which saving grace was NOT to have a Little whiney cardboard cutout streotype being the main character. And the First one since, you know, you actually had to assassinate someone at some point.

But apart from the protagonists (which they dropped the ball with, so many times it is not even funny anymore, I thought the devs were playing a joke on me with the AC2 main protagonist, he was two steps away from chronically eating a bowl of pasta, and come with the random outburst "Itsa me Mario!"

But Gameplay is underwhemingly bad, too easy too simple for the depth they put in the avaiable options for it (counter butten much?). Vaguely based on historical characters is a decent enough thing, but what you do in them is overly underwhelming.

Hell for a game called "assassins creed" with the focus on assassins here. You do very Little in the area of assassinations and a Whole lot of murderous rampage against incredibly bad ai.

So no never a fan of the series Either, I do find TCs claims to be within reason from an objective point of view (not to mention the subjective one).

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

It's a series that's amazingly mediocre.

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

It is funny because I'm currently playing AssCreed 4: Black Flag and I'm thinking "what the hell did I do to myself?"

Seriously I was a big fan of AssCreed. I played AC1, AC2, AC:Brotherhood, AC: Revelations, AC3, and now AC: Black Flag. I was that big of a fan!! .. The first one was pretty good, second one amazing, third one amazing, fourth one disappointing, fifth one (AC3) was soooooooo shitty that I told myself I'm done with this series .. then came Black Flag which a lot of reviewers praised .. so I was blind and I bought it, and let me tell you one thing: this is the BIGGEST regret in my videogames purchasing history .. the game is CRAAAAAAAAAAAAP and it is even more disappointing than AC3, I don't understand why people praised this shit of a game ..

I'm not going to buy any more AssCreed games unless I rent them first and try them and see if they're good .. and I kinda agree with TC post although it is not as bad as he make it sound ..

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I never cared for Ass Creed.

They are highly overrated, boring games with just a bunch of Ubisoft Hyped behind it.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

welcome to my world.

ac 1 was just straight up garbage with the terrible a.i. where i was killing npc's right infront of guards and they run over and go "what's all this then? who could have done this?!?!?!" and the 3mph horsey rides and the running from the top of the mtn every freaking mission and the nothing but counter hit fighting.

and yet it was gamespots action goty.

mind boggling.

anyway i thought the rest got way better and i was able to enjoy them.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

nope

name other non AC games that do what they do? That specific genre doesn't really have competition.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Yes, I find it highly overrated. The only good thing about it is the parkour.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Is AC an unrealistic piece of crap? Yup

Is AC a fun, addictive, unrealistic piece of crap with an enticing story, that has people like me coming back year after year? Indubitably

I hate myself for loving an annual milk fest but I do and that's that (I don't buy the DLC though)

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 parkurtommo

@Zelda187 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@parkurtommo said:

Wha?

What Assassins Creed game feels "unique"?

Even when they tried the pirate sh*t in Black Flag, it still consisted of the the exact same gameplay mechanics and shitty AI that have been present since the original.

At it's heart, it's basically a fucking roof hopping simulator.

Man, none of you guys really get it.

AC is cool because of that "atmosphere". Each game has a different setting and those settings set each game apart. It's not the game mechanics or anything, it's just the setting, the feel.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts
@SolidTy said:

I thought the first game was interesting as a new IP once upon a time (when it was new) and it peaked with AC2. It's another annualized, milked series that I don't care about anymore much like Call of Duty and Madden.

Really man? I was actually thinking of hooking up a HYPE Steam gamenight to get y'all back to some MP realness :p

I feel like Advance Warfare brings back that Blops 1, on-point, Multiplayer feels I really enjoyed and played the heck out of with the boys back in the day. It seriously looks pretty neat.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I only played 2, the original which it was pretty boring after a while...and Black Flag, and for what it is, is pretty cool, the setting is really interesting, some action sequences are pretty intense, the characters are memorable and while the plot is meh, it does have a lot of content to keep you playing for a while...now with that being said, do i have interest in another Assassin's Creed? definitely no, at least not for a while, i mean i'm liking it for what it is, but i have zero interest in the overall plot and the rest of the games in the franchise.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I'm an Action/Adventure gamer first and foremost. And these games, albeit not terrible, aren't great. Definitely not to the point of being in the discussion with the Zelda/Halo/Uncharted system sellers.