Anyone else fed up with these resolution news?

  • 89 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

Is it just me or are all these resolution news getting really old? I mean Gamespot has literally had at least one article/game lately that discusses its resolution. For some games I estimate they have had 5-10 articles just about the resolution And this is true for all the other major gaming sites as well.

To me it's a statistic that may be mentioned in a footnote to a review or something, not even close to Breaking News material. There are a zillion things more interesting and relevant about a game.

Anyway what say you SW are you still enthusiastically reading through every single resolution article you can get a hold of?

#2 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -

I play on PC mostly, I get full HD and 60FPS and have done for years.

#3 Edited by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I play on PC mostly, I get full HD and 60FPS and have done for years.

That's awesome to hear, really happy for you man!!!!

#4 Posted by Shewgenja (9638 posts) -

Seemed like the thing to talk about for at least as long as I've been here. It's been one resolution/fps Lens of Truth-fest after another. I don't see that changing just because MS decided to fuck off on their new console.

#5 Posted by Bishop1310 (1109 posts) -

It's driven by sony fan boys who had to listen to how bad multiplats ran on the ps3 last gen.. Now their simply trying to feel better about themselves. All last gen we mostly gamed in 720p.. The fact that a lot of games already are 1080p or 900p early this gen is exciting.. Hopefully it will go away.. Why people can't just play games and enjoy them is a mystery.. It's driven by fan boys of both systems with nothing else better to do with their time.

#6 Edited by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Seemed like the thing to talk about for at least as long as I've been here. It's been one resolution/fps Lens of Truth-fest after another. I don't see that changing just because MS decided to fuck off on their new console.

Yeah it's one thing SW is stupid, I mean that's the point of the forum :). What's weird now is that the media massproduces these idiotic articles on a daily basis. I understand that they are easy and cheap to do, but it's weird they don't have a little dignity. All they got is a number, a platform and a name of game that they then build a half page article from. Pretty pathetic journalism.

#7 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

When I play bf4 on 900p I can barely tell the difference. It's there but it isn't prominent. Of course this is with all the bells and whistles turned to ultra. 900p in ultra is not that much different than 1080p in ultra. So it's a matter of graphic settings more than anything imo.

#8 Posted by Shewgenja (9638 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

@Shewgenja said:

Seemed like the thing to talk about for at least as long as I've been here. It's been one resolution/fps Lens of Truth-fest after another. I don't see that changing just because MS decided to fuck off on their new console.

Yeah it's one thing SW is stupid, I mean that's the point of the forum :). What's weird now is that the media massproduces these idiotic articles on a daily basis. I understand that they are easy and cheap to do, but it's weird they don't have a little dignity. All they got is a number, a platform and a name of game that they then build a half page article from. Pretty pathetic journalism.

I suppose they could try to expound the virtues of talking to your console and waving your arms at it.. 'Dat immersive experience yo.

#9 Edited by lostrib (37796 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I play on PC mostly, I get full HD and 60FPS and have done for years.

#10 Posted by IamAdorable (402 posts) -

It's a big deal for these consoles to reach something like 1080P, apparently. Can't say I care too much :p

#11 Posted by PonchoTaco (2175 posts) -

It's just cows finally entering 2009 and thinking it's the greatest thing to bless videogaming.

#12 Posted by Zassimick (6673 posts) -

I'm not fed up with the news or debates as I rarely partake in them. They may be fantastic for some but I really couldn't care. Does a game look nice at 1080p? Oh yeah, but it's not something I feel like spending my time arguing over.

#13 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16695 posts) -

So many threads on SW are just 'Game X can't/can do 1080p' what a joke.

We should have a sticky.

#14 Posted by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

It's a controversial topic because there's a difference between the boxes. Nothing more. Expect more of it as more multiplats sing a better tune on the PS4.

Also it makes for very fun thread arguments. Which is pretty much the only reason I visit SW lol.

#15 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -

nah, not at all. i find it quite interesting, as i can see trends emerging.

trends supported by a crude look at the specs.

#16 Edited by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

So many threads on SW are just 'Game X can't/can do 1080p' what a joke.

We should have a sticky.

I agree about a sticky. But like I said what is most disturbing to me is really that the media is producing soooo many of these articles. I mean it's not cows, or hermits, or SW extremists (weirdos) who are driving this. It's regular consumers and gaming media. Very awkward imo.

#17 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

Is it just me or are all these resolution news getting really old? I mean Gamespot has literally had at least one article/game lately that discusses its resolution. For some games I estimate they have had 5-10 articles just about the resolution And this is true for all the other major gaming sites as well.

To me it's a statistic that may be mentioned in a footnote to a review or something, not even close to Breaking News material. There are a zillion things more interesting and relevant about a game.

Anyway what say you SW are you still enthusiastically reading through every single resolution article you can get a hold of?

I hate all the arguments that resolution is so important. Personally, while I know that 1080p is the best and clearest image, I've played enough 720p upscaled and 1080p to feel the difference is just not a big deal to me. Frames per second matter more, but first is that the game is good to begin with. But the resolution argument just doesn't matter to me at all. Id prefer 1080p, but if its not and the game is great is really all that matters IMHO.

#18 Edited by kbanna (665 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

Is it just me or are all these resolution news getting really old? I mean Gamespot has literally had at least one article/game lately that discusses its resolution. For some games I estimate they have had 5-10 articles just about the resolution And this is true for all the other major gaming sites as well.

To me it's a statistic that may be mentioned in a footnote to a review or something, not even close to Breaking News material. There are a zillion things more interesting and relevant about a game.

Anyway what say you SW are you still enthusiastically reading through every single resolution article you can get a hold of?

You know whats funny? this Resolutiongate nonsense did not exist last gen when it was the other way around. Back then it was "developers are not used to he hardware" and , "The developers are not taking advantage of he power of the ps3 ye"t.....4 years into the consoles cycle, But now 3 months into the generation, the X1 is a weak pos, and the resolution equals the power of the machine.

Bioshock - Xbox 360: 720p, PS3: 680p

Bioshock Infinite - Xbox 360: 1152x720, PS3: 1152x640

Call Of Duty: Black Ops - Xbox 360: 1040x608 & not locked but quite consitently 60fps, PS3: 960x544 averages 40fps & is often 20fps lower than Xbox 360 version.

Call Of Duty: Ghosts - Xbox 360: 1024x600, PS3: 860x600

Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood - Xbox 360: 1280x672, PS3: 1152x640

Ghostbusters - Xbox 360: 720p, PS3: 960x540 (pre-patch) 576p (patched)

Midnight Club: Los Angeles - Xbox 360: 1280x720, PS3: 960x720

Saints Row 4 Xbox 360: - 1280x720, PS3: 960x720

Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360: 720p, PS3: 576p

Sleeping Dogs - Xbox 360: 720p, PS3: 640p

Splinter Cell: Blacklist - Xbox 360: 720p, PS3: 640p

Street Fighter IV - Xbox 360: 720p with 2xAA at all times, PS3: 720p with no AA during zoomed-out gameplay then 630p with no AA in up-close character view.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - Xbox 360: 720p, PS3 640p

That's interesting, cause never remember the amount of articles and fud happening when it was reversed. I wonder why?

#19 Edited by Wasdie (50003 posts) -

If it rustles the jimmies of all of the fanboys then I'm all for it.

#20 Edited by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@Sushiglutton: Since it looks like the updated SDK might be allowing devs to hit 1080p, I suspect this may in fact, go by the wayside (much like the crappy textures of launch PS3 multiplats).

#21 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

I'm sick of how hypocritical everyone is now. It didn't matter last gen what resolution and framerate PC games ran at and now they're selling points and used as "ownage" against each other.

#22 Edited by Heil68 (45245 posts) -

Well when your peice of plastic cant consistently achieve it and fall behind the leader, it can be hard to not see it brought up.

#23 Edited by EZs (1362 posts) -

I don't get tired at all because PS4 always win whenever resolution news comes out.

#24 Edited by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm sick of how hypocritical everyone is now. It didn't matter last gen what resolution and framerate PC games ran at and now they're selling points and used as "ownage" against each other.

I mean it's expected of SW. The entire point is a forum where we can just randomly spew nonsense about videogames because we are bored. I couldn't care less about hypocricy here. What's weird to me is that the SW attitude now seems to be norm in the gaming community at large instead of being seen as pretty silly niche nerdculture as it should be.

#25 Edited by IgGy621985 (4817 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I play on PC mostly, I get full HD and 60FPS and have done for years.

This.

Also, I find this resolution thing completely hilarious since we're in 2014 and talking about pretty powerful gaming machines.

#26 Posted by soulitane (13603 posts) -

I feel it's pointless for the most part as I doubt people really notice the difference between say 900p and 1080p yet one is considered a blurry mess by certain members on here at least. That is further proven stupid by the fact that consoles have only just gotten more than a handful of games that run above 720p which was supposedly fine last gen.

#27 Edited by gameofthering (10324 posts) -

I'm not annoyed about people reporting resolutions. The thing that annoys me is how last gen people somehow couldn't see the difference in resolution between the PC and consoles. Yet somehow, all of a sudden anything under 1080P is blurry and unplayable...

#28 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14470 posts) -

As long as it causes distress among the lemming populace, I'm ok with it.

Besides, it's not like it's every thread and not including it would go against the very nature of SW.

#29 Edited by Alcapello (955 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm sick of how hypocritical everyone is now. It didn't matter last gen what resolution and framerate PC games ran at and now they're selling points and used as "ownage" against each other.

Huh? Pixel issues and jagged edges have been microscopes since the 8 bit era.

The difference is PC claims itself as first, since it's induction during the war.

#30 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16695 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

So many threads on SW are just 'Game X can't/can do 1080p' what a joke.

We should have a sticky.

I agree about a sticky. But like I said what is most disturbing to me is really that the media is producing soooo many of these articles. I mean it's not cows, or hermits, or SW extremists (weirdos) who are driving this. It's regular consumers and gaming media. Very awkward imo.

Very true. A lot of what drives the people on SW making all these threads is that there is just so much talk in the media about resolutions.

When the PS3 was first announced it was touted to run its games at 1080p with 60FPS but that never happened, and it seemed nobody really cared. Last gen was all about consoles reaching HD, and so people were happy that games reached 720p. If you remember, lots of threads were made about games being sub 720p

Now this gen we were promised 1080p with the new consoles. And now a lot of people care, we've moved up in processing power and so people demand 1080p. When a game launches sub 1080p, there is a thread about it.

Which partially explains all this talk surrounding resolutions. Though there's more to it than that. Fanboys using it as an excuse to bash the Xbone.

And when lots of people talk about the importance of resolutions (not just on SW), the media wants to become the center of attention too, so they create articles, which leads to more people talking about resolutions.

#31 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6248 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

@clyde46 said:

I play on PC mostly, I get full HD and 60FPS and have done for years.

That's awesome to hear, really happy for you man!!!!

Lol, yeah, that's greeeaaaatttt.

I've been over all the resolution talk for months.

#32 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm sick of how hypocritical everyone is now. It didn't matter last gen what resolution and framerate PC games ran at and now they're selling points and used as "ownage" against each other.

I mean it's expected of SW. The entire point is a forum where we can just randomly spew nonsense about videogames because we are bored. I couldn't care less about hypocricy here. What's weird to me is that the SW attitude now seems to be norm in the gaming community at large instead of being seen as pretty silly niche nerdculture as it should be.

I disagree. Just because you're on SW and lately it's turned into that crap doesn't mean that's what it should be or expected to be. The new rules have made things too slack and easy for people to get away with drive by posts. In the older days it was all about trolling with style and actually having to debate your way through threads. Not dropping in and saying "hurr durr cows R ded" etc.

Back then people even owned up to flops and disappointed hype and went about accepting bets and punishments. These days it's all just denial

#33 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

It's one of those things where I figured, after the initial reveal that the Xbox One was less capable, the talk would die down.

I mean was it this bad in the PS2/Xbox era when both boxes cost the same, yet one was multiple times more powerful than the other? Then there was the Gamecube which was $100 less than the PS2 and also more powerful. I don't remember arguing about anything other than game library back in those days. That's what I wish people did today. There are never threads about how Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Forza, etc. is a better lineup of games than Knack(lol) and Killzone(lol). It's just "DIZ MULTIPLAT IS BTTUR LOOKN!!!".

Even when someone does bring up a gameplay thread, for example, posting videos and such of Titanfall, people just chime in and say "LOLZ 720P!!11!!".

There is no doubt in my mind that the internet is far stupider today than it was 10-12 years ago though.

I mean seriously; it's done. The consoles launched 3 months ago. We know the Xbox One will have worse-looking games, and we expect all future multiplats to show that from today until the end of the gen. It doesn't need to be the focal point of every discussion every second of the day.

#34 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

Is it just me or are all these resolution news getting really old? I mean Gamespot has literally had at least one article/game lately that discusses its resolution. For some games I estimate they have had 5-10 articles just about the resolution And this is true for all the other major gaming sites as well.

To me it's a statistic that may be mentioned in a footnote to a review or something, not even close to Breaking News material. There are a zillion things more interesting and relevant about a game.

Anyway what say you SW are you still enthusiastically reading through every single resolution article you can get a hold of?

nope..

I am really ready for the game industry to catch up to the hardware technology.

Hopefully before I die

#35 Edited by kinectthedots (2016 posts) -
@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm sick of how hypocritical everyone is now. It didn't matter last gen what resolution and framerate PC games ran at and now they're selling points and used as "ownage" against each other.

it's a new generation or consoles, PC's have no generations. There is nothing hypocritical about it. There are limits abouve 1080 that are possible on PC but people are focusing on 1080 now because why? 720 was the standard for "consoles" last gen. lol, PC has nothing to do with this.

You are a mod and I know you are damage controling for xbox but it is sad you can't post without trying to defelct or hide behind PC to defend xbox.

PC arguments =/= console arguments and there is ownage is one console out performs another sorry if that fact upsets you.

#36 Posted by soulitane (13603 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: Isn't there rules about not contributing to the discussion and dropping meaningless lines in each thread? I thought that fell under forum invasion or something like that and was still not allowed under the current ToU.

#38 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

it's a new generation or consoles, PC's have no generations. There is nothing hypocritical about it. There are limits abouve 1080 that are possible on PC but people are focusing on 1080 now because why? 720 was the standard for "consoles" last gen. lol, PC has nothing to do with this.

You are a mod and I know you are damage controling for xbox but it is sad you can't post without trying to defelct or hide behind PC to defend xbox.

PC arguments =/= console arguments and there is ownage is one console out performs another sorry if that fact upsets you.

I'm saying that that people brushed off 1080p and 60fps as nothing more than unnecessary additives to games and they didn't have much weight in determining the overall visual fidelity of a game but now that's all turned on it's head and it's suddenly all very relevant in how you perceive a game's image quality

Also I am doing no such deflecting or hiding, I don't like the xbox systems and never have. I'm nowhere near being an xbox defender. Where did I even write anything that was geared towards the xbox or PS systems that warrants such a claim?

@soulitane said:

@seanmcloughlin: Isn't there rules about not contributing to the discussion and dropping meaningless lines in each thread? I thought that fell under forum invasion or something like that and was still not allowed under the current ToU.

It was geared at the OP. I don't mind the resolution articles, it's how gamers are digesting them and regurgitating them that I'm fed up with

#39 Posted by Alcapello (955 posts) -

This will be a glorious gen. Reviews on gamespot should be done of PS4 mainly too, unlike last gen with the 360 excuse.

#40 Posted by iloveatlus (285 posts) -

Lemmings never gotten tired of resolution news and comparison last gen, I don't think they'll get tired now.

#41 Posted by lostrib (37796 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm sick of how hypocritical everyone is now. It didn't matter last gen what resolution and framerate PC games ran at and now they're selling points and used as "ownage" against each other.

I mean it's expected of SW. The entire point is a forum where we can just randomly spew nonsense about videogames because we are bored. I couldn't care less about hypocricy here. What's weird to me is that the SW attitude now seems to be norm in the gaming community at large instead of being seen as pretty silly niche nerdculture as it should be.

I disagree. Just because you're on SW and lately it's turned into that crap doesn't mean that's what it should be or expected to be. The new rules have made things too slack and easy for people to get away with drive by posts. In the older days it was all about trolling with style and actually having to debate your way through threads. Not dropping in and saying "hurr durr cows R ded" etc.

Back then people even owned up to flops and disappointed hype and went about accepting bets and punishments. These days it's all just denial

You're a mod, time to laydown some justice

#42 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16793 posts) -

I'm pretty tired of new games relying on their graphics in general. We get it, next gen looks prettier. But what kind of new ideas are you bringing to the table? That's what matters.

#43 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14470 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@kinectthedots said:

it's a new generation or consoles, PC's have no generations. There is nothing hypocritical about it. There are limits abouve 1080 that are possible on PC but people are focusing on 1080 now because why? 720 was the standard for "consoles" last gen. lol, PC has nothing to do with this.

You are a mod and I know you are damage controling for xbox but it is sad you can't post without trying to defelct or hide behind PC to defend xbox.

PC arguments =/= console arguments and there is ownage is one console out performs another sorry if that fact upsets you.

I'm saying that that people brushed off 1080p and 60fps as nothing more than unnecessary additives to games and they didn't have much weight in determining the overall visual fidelity of a game but now that's all turned on it's head and it's suddenly all very relevant in how you perceive a game's image quality

Also I am doing no such deflecting or hiding, I don't like the xbox systems and never have. I'm nowhere near being an xbox defender. Where did I even write anything that was geared towards the xbox or PS systems that warrants such a claim?

@soulitane said:

@seanmcloughlin: Isn't there rules about not contributing to the discussion and dropping meaningless lines in each thread? I thought that fell under forum invasion or something like that and was still not allowed under the current ToU.

It was geared at the OP. I don't mind the resolution articles, it's how gamers are digesting them and regurgitating them that I'm fed up with

Part of this large backlash is how lemmings dealt with the difference in resolution where in years previous if a ps3 title was 40P below 720p it was automatically shit, this hypocrisy is nothing new But the gulf between the differences on each platform is definitely larger, that's why it's so amusing when the first responses to this issue were to "Just stand further back from the screen." or "I can't notice it so it's not there."

Also when the company you worship treats the masses like idiots, that's something that should also be pointed out.

and I'm glad to see it is being discussed by the media, the amount of misinformation regarding it is sickening. There was a roundtable discussion with Xbox IGN recently that was filled to the brim with such idiotic banter and arguments regarding "Scientific proof that the eye can't differentiate just what's above 720p on a screen below 50 inches or so that it was just hilarious.

Ms tried extremely hard to cover these differences up and failed spectacularly.

#44 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11426 posts) -

I certainly think it is getting old and while it's interesting to know of the differences I dont think it's the most important aspect. I'm also sure that most of the people that make those comparisons can't tell the difference between the resolutions.

#45 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

There was a roundtable discussion with Xbox IGN recently that was filled to the brim with such idiotic banter and arguments regarding "Scientific proof that the eye can't differentiate just what's above 720p on a screen below 50 inches or so that it was just hilarious.

That IGN thing was so hard to watch. I mean it's IGN and all but still, even for them it was bad

#46 Posted by PsychoLemons (2119 posts) -

More or less. I do believe it's some sort of Hive mind with this resolution obsession.

#47 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

I have a pc so all this 1080p talk is for consoles

#48 Posted by lawlessx (46779 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm sick of how hypocritical everyone is now. It didn't matter last gen what resolution and framerate PC games ran at and now they're selling points and used as "ownage" against each other.

just wait till consoles get real mod support.

#49 Edited by Couth_ (10182 posts) -

Lol system wars...

What else is there to discuss actually? Every time someone has an opinionated post it's "HURR DURR BLOG IT" or its locked by the mods for not being "system wars material".. system performance and sales are the only real system war right now.. The community here does it to itself

#50 Posted by Snugenz (11892 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@clyde46 said:

I play on PC mostly, I get full HD and 60FPS and have done for years.

^^