Anti-Aliasing - Will it be one of your much have features next generation?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrfrosty151986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mrfrosty151986
Member since 2012 • 533 Posts

Less face it, image quality for the most part on consoles sucks.

You have some games with decent looking textures and effects but yet is completely let down by poor image quality ( Uncharted comes to mind )

Now personally with me being a Hermit image quality is my number 1 priority in my games and is the number 1 reason why I don't game on a console.

You console gamers don't seem to make such a fuss about the lake of decent image quality or is it just a case of you don't care because you're used to piss poor image quality?

Do you console guys expect anti-aliasing and anisotropic texture filtering next generation or are you have happy to leave it out?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

If I have to turn down a setting on my PC, AA is always the first to go.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

AF, and some form of AA at least post process, is almost certain.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Anti-Aliasing does mean a LOT.

You just don't know it till you have actually seen it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts
AA will have to grow with next gen hardware. MSAA will be dead thanks to deferred rendering and high cost, and post process AA has a lot to catch up to. Right now it's mostly made for dated current gen hardware in mind, but sharp post process filters will be made. And yeah, it's a must. That and MAX AF.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k  Online

LegatoSkyheart

I have seen it but it's not the most important thing to me in video games graphics.

Even with AA on fullest there are still edges with aliasing. I tried ACIII with all AA settings and the sails of the boats at the harbor were still aliased. I couldn't see much difference between the settings tbh.

When I still had my old computer AA was always the first to go if I needed extra FPS. I can look past an aliased edge, but I can't look past a lower resolution, worse textures, worse models, etc..

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

If consoles can't do a high level of AA at 1080p next gen, we will know for certain that both MS and Sony are selling us gimped hardware.

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

What does Anti Allialsing do?

mrfrosty151986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrfrosty151986
Member since 2012 • 533 Posts

MaskedPlayer
Removes the jaggies....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

R4gn4r0k

I have seen it but it's not the most important thing to me in video games graphics.

Even with AA on fullest there are still edges with aliasing. I tried ACIII with all AA settings and the sails of the boats at the harbor were still aliased. I couldn't see much difference between the settings tbh.

When I still had my old computer AA was always the first to go if I needed extra FPS. I can look past an aliased edge, but I can't look past a lower resolution, worse textures, worse models, etc..

Odd because resolution and AA go hand in hand. In fact, 720p with high AA looks better than 1080p with no AA. Maybe at 4k we'll not need AA anymore.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

MaskedPlayer
Attempts to prevent lines that run across the screen from appearing jagged.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

R4gn4r0k

Well I guess I should add that it helps in SOME games. The edges look smoother and everything doesn't look like it was made in Paint.

but sometimes the game is better without it.

MaskedPlayer

gets rid of jagged edges and makes things smooth.

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts
[QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"]

mrfrosty151986
Removes the jaggies....

Nice.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
No game should have aliasing next gen. Not with the progress we have made.
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

MaskedPlayer

Smooths out the jaggie edges.

divinity2-anti-aliasing.jpg

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
AA will never be standard, just like 60FPS, simply because you are working with hardware where resources are at a premium. Some games will have them...just like some games had them back on the PS2, but many simply won't because the performance compromises aren't worth it, or because the same hardware grunt could be used elsewhere...well that is unless the console manufacturers include some kind of 'free' AA solution, reserved for precisely that (IIRC the GC had something like this).
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k  Online

Odd because resolution and AA go hand in hand. In fact, 720p with high AA looks better than 1080p with no AA. Maybe at 4k we'll not need AA anymore.Chozofication

For me its the exact opposite: native res of screen > lower resolution with no matter how much AA you put on it.

Well I guess I should add that it helps in SOME games. The edges look smoother and everything doesn't look like it was made in Paint.

LegatoSkyheart

Yeah I can agree with that: it does help in some games. And for example in a lot of old games AA can help a lot. I was surprised by how good GOW looked, even in 2012, because of its higher resolution and AA in the GOW collection.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]Odd because resolution and AA go hand in hand. In fact, 720p with high AA looks better than 1080p with no AA. Maybe at 4k we'll not need AA anymore.R4gn4r0k

For me its the exact opposite: native res of screen > lower resolution with no matter how much AA you put on it.

LegatoSkyheart

Yeah I can agree with that: it does help in some games. And for example in a lot of old games AA can help a lot. I was surprised by how good GOW looked, even in 2012, because of its higher resolution and AA in the GOW collection.

It's why I kinda perfer to get the PS3 versions of PS2 titles, That and I can play the games on my PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]Odd because resolution and AA go hand in hand. In fact, 720p with high AA looks better than 1080p with no AA. Maybe at 4k we'll not need AA anymore.R4gn4r0k

It is a bit of a preference thing. Super smooth vs. Super crisp. I hate jaggies with a passion lol. But it depends on the AA technique. No AA is better than Quincunx or low quality FXAA.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k  Online

It's why I kinda perfer to get the PS3 versions of PS2 titles, That and I can play the games on my PS3.

LegatoSkyheart

I hope Nintendo will do collections like that too. Rereleasing wii games in 1080p with AA.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#21 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

If consoles can't do a high level of AA at 1080p next gen, we will know for certain that both MS and Sony are selling us gimped hardware.

Fizzman
I think a not so big jump is expected. based on sony's financial situation and microsofts push for casual play . which is good because wii u will not suffer what wii did . later on . id rather have 3 good looking consoles yet cheap enough for the consumer then 1 power house that is left behind like ps3 .
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

R4gn4r0k

I hope Nintendo will do collections like that too. Rereleasing wii games in 1080p with AA.

I'm more hoping Gamecube Games.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

mariokart64fan

I think a not so big jump is expected. based on sony's financial situation and microsofts push for casual play . which is good because wii u will not suffer what wii did . later on . id rather have 3 good looking consoles yet cheap enough for the consumer then 1 power house that is left behind like ps3 .

The Wii U has awful graphics. This isnt even an exagguration, they are bad. If Sony and MS don't have significantly better graphics than the Wii U, console gaming is dead to me. I am not paying 400 bucks just for some garbage gimmick with hardware from 2004 powering my system. I am not a graphics whore, but you better charge 200 bucks for a 720/PS4 if you expect me to use ancient tech.

The Wii U is overpriced, but for some reason a horrible touch screen that has a 3/4 hour battery life makes it OK to pay 300/350 for a console from 2004.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Part of the reason Sony has all these HD collections for Ps3 is because PS3's don't have BC, and Wii U has perfect BC with Wii games and they're putting gamecube games on the Wii U virtual console. That and Nintendo really isn't about the best bang for the buck... But it still could happen, it'd be fantastic.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
For a good number of years, I used to play with no AA. FPS is more important to me.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"][QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Fizzman

The Wii U has awful graphics. This isnt even an exagguration, they are bad. If Sony and MS don't have significantly better graphics than the Wii U, console gaming is dead to me. I am not paying 400 bucks just for some garbage gimmick with hardware from 2004 powering my system. I am not a graphics whore, but you better charge 200 bucks for a 720/PS4 if you expect me to use ancient tech.

Oh man.

Pikmin-3-Confirmed-for-Nintendo-Wii-U-Ge

Such AWWWWWWWFULLLL graphics.....

painful.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

anti-aliasing.jpg
For people who don't know what it is.

AA impact has increased throughout the last few years. AA was normally the first thing for me to go, but in some games like The Witcher 2, Planetside 2 and Guild Wars 2 the difference is incredible, to the point that it has already become a must have feature for me.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"] I think a not so big jump is expected. based on sony's financial situation and microsofts push for casual play . which is good because wii u will not suffer what wii did . later on . id rather have 3 good looking consoles yet cheap enough for the consumer then 1 power house that is left behind like ps3 . LegatoSkyheart

Oh man.

painful.

Loving those bullshots which dont even look good. I cant wait to see Pikmin 3 launch and the damage control from sheep will be hilarious. "Buhhhh buhhh we dont care about good graphics."

Sheep pretend not to care about graphics because they know Nintendo will never again give them a system that is capable of displaying average looking graphics.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Loving those bullshots which dont even look good. I cant wait to see Pikmin 2 launch and the damage control from sheep will be hilarious. "Buhhhh buhhh we dont care about good graphics."

Sheep pretend not to care about graphics because they know Nintendo will never again give them a system that is capable of displaying average looking graphics.

Fizzman

Pikmin 2 launched in 2004.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"] I think a not so big jump is expected. based on sony's financial situation and microsofts push for casual play . which is good because wii u will not suffer what wii did . later on . id rather have 3 good looking consoles yet cheap enough for the consumer then 1 power house that is left behind like ps3 . LegatoSkyheart

Oh man. Such AWWWWWWWFULLLL graphics.....

painful.

You can tell where this started as a Wii game. And it's gone crazy with the DOF like some early 360 games. But when the next 3d mario game is out we will see what Wii U can do.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Oh man.

painful.

Whats Pikman?
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Loving those bullshots which dont even look good. I cant wait to see Pikmin 2 launch and the damage control from sheep will be hilarious. "Buhhhh buhhh we dont care about good graphics."

psymon100

Pikmin 2 launched in 2004.

You clearly know what i am talking about, but you have to point out like you dont understand i am referring to Wii U Pikmin.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Not really. If next-gen consoles, other then the Wii U, can natively render their games at 1080p, then I don't see the need for any AA. Sure they can add a low cost post process solution but it's not really required. The Wii U needs AA since it will most likely render games at 720p. It can have current console graphics but with a touch of AA and AF, and I'll be happy. If the PS4 and New Xbox go 720p or maybe even 1600 x 900 (900p then upscale), then it should have a good quality AA method. 1080p? None needed.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
I'd be fine with post process AA.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Not really. If next-gen consoles, other then the Wii U, can natively render their games at 1080p, then I don't see the need for any AA. Sure they can add a low cost post process solution but it's not really required. The Wii U needs AA since it will most likely render games at 720p. It can have current console graphics but with a touch of AA and AF, and I'll be happy. If the PS4 and New Xbox go 720p or maybe even 1600 x 900 (900p then upscale), then it should have a good quality AA method. 1080p? None needed.

I play PC games at 1080p resolution, but it still seems to matter a lot whether I turn on AA or not.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Not really. If next-gen consoles, other then the Wii U, can natively render their games at 1080p, then I don't see the need for any AA. Sure they can add a low cost post process solution but it's not really required. The Wii U needs AA since it will most likely render games at 720p. It can have current console graphics but with a touch of AA and AF, and I'll be happy. If the PS4 and New Xbox go 720p or maybe even 1600 x 900 (900p then upscale), then it should have a good quality AA method. 1080p? None needed.

I play PC games at 1080p resolution, but it still seems to matter a lot whether I turn on AA or not.

That is because you most likely play on a monitor that is less than a meter away from you. Consoles games are designed for HDTVs and "living-room" like settings. If you move back a little to a normal HDTV viewing setting, you will realize that the cost of AA on the hardware is not really worth it. They can add post-process to make it slightly cleaner. TXAA or lower setting FXAA can do this, but a full blown AA method is a no no.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I really hope every game uses at least some form of AA, jaggies ruin graphics.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I just recently built my first PC rig... and I have to say that the AA setting makes such a big difference on the image. I dont really know what it is or what #x I should set it at... but man it makes every game look fantastic

I am blown away every time I see games I am used to seeing on consoles.... even old games like Half-Life

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I game mainly on PC and I don't use any AA whatsoever.

I prefer a sharper picture and better framerate.

I have AF always set to max, tho. (cause blurry textures 2 meters away from the cam position annoy me)

I would agree that consoles have poor image quality but that's console hardware limitations for you.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
i am actually fine with Grpahics the way they are,Anti aliasing is Fine on consoles for me at the moment, what i want to see is more innovation in GamePlay.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I can barely play RDR and GTA4 on PS3 the AA(lack there of) is terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Considering some of the progress and the AA methods available now, no game on consoles should be jagged next gen. It's insulting

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 psymon100

I was playing this in 1998. I remember Anti Aliasing options in the settings.

Grand_Prix_Legends_Coverart.jpg

Anti Aliasing, yeah it's a good feature. My preference is always for resolution first, then increasing world detail, then shadows, effects etc. If I can max out with all these turned on, then I'll go for AF or AA.

If I was playing on a console, I'd prefer 60FPS with no AA compared to 30FPS with some AA. On the PC, well I'm glad I can mess with the settings to find what I like.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I was playing this in 1998. I remember Anti Aliasing options in the settings.

Grand_Prix_Legends_Coverart.jpg

Anti Aliasing, yeah it's a good feature. My preference is always for resolution first, then increasing world detail, then shadows, effects etc. If I can max out with all these turned on, then I'll go for AF or AA.

If I was playing on a console, I'd prefer 60FPS with no AA compared to 30FPS with some AA. On the PC, well I'm glad I can mess with the settings to find what I like.

psymon100

It's texture detail > shaders > object/terrain details > draw distance > shadows. ;)

Resolution should always be native and you should have AF atleast on 4x.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 psymon100

I said 'My preference' ...

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

I'd be fine with post process AA.lowe0

Me too, actually...

In most cases, I don't have any problems with a high-quality FXAA, despite it introducing some minor blur to the scene. Lately, though, been using SMAA + sharpening from that Shader Suite...

Some of those solutions would work good on consoles, improving the visual quality at a very minor performance impact...

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I've been having to substitute MSAA for FXAA or SMAA because of the performance hit I get when I apply MSAA to demanding games. Post processing AA gives me minimal jaggies without the performance hit. The only downside is that is makes the IQ a little more blurry (especially FXAA).

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Resolution is more important. AA can come next, if there's power for it. The most important thing, which will have the biggest impact on image quality compared to current gen consoles, is having them display ACTUAL HD. People complain about the aliasing in current console games, but AA isn't what they need. Just about anything will look like sh!t when it's 960x540, upscaled onto your giant 1080p TV.

I find it funny that that's not being talked about more. Especially considering the PS3 and 360 are so often referred to as "the HD twins". That name doesn't really make any sense, considering that the VAST majority of games on those systems aren't even rendered at 720p, much less 1080p. The majority are closer to 960x540, which is basically a widescreen version of 800x600, which was a standard resolution for PC monitors in the late nineties.

Higher resolution just makes everything look better. Which makes sense. More pixels = greater level of detail, and less jagged edges, naturally, even without AA. Higher resolution makes textures look better, even if the textures are exactly the same, just because there's more detail available with more pixels. Perfect example of that is the PC version of Dark Souls, with the DSfix, to allow proper resolutions. That game already had surprisingly detailed textures, which were hidden under that crappy resolution. Use dsfix to make the game actually render at 1920x1080, rather than the not-even-720p it was at to begin with, and it's like you just cleaned a layer of filth of your screen.

That's why I think putting out real HD resolutions should be the top priority for the next gen consoles. Especially if the PS4/nextbox aren't coming out til late 2013/possibly even 2014, there is NO excuse for them to not have every single game rendering a native 1920x1080. Any less will be absolutely laughable.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
Meh. High resolution textures, native resolution, and stable frame rates are more "must have" to methan AA. AA is nice and all, but it makes less of an impact than the others.