Another positive Wii U article - are people finally warming up to Wii U?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Poll Another positive Wii U article - are people finally warming up to Wii U? (58 votes)

Yes 59%
No 41%

The Wii U does everything I want it to do, has games that I want to play that I won't find elsewhere, and does it for $100 less (bundled with a pretty great game) than the PS4, and $200 less than the Xbox One.

Yes, that amortizes over the lifetime of the console. Yes, in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge amount of money. But right now, today, it feels a whole lot like not paying more for stuff I don't need. Especially knowing that PS4 and Xbox One price drops are themselves inevitable, and will likely kick in right around when there are finally games you actually want to play on them.

It's entirely possible—probable, even!—that the Xbox One or PS4 is right for you. That's fine. But it's a shame that the Wii U has been left out of this particular conversation altogether. Especially since for some of us, it's the exact right fit.

http://gizmodo.com/why-im-getting-a-wii-u-1469695384

• 
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@babycakin said:

@foxhound_fox:

If they were to announce a new Star Fox, I'd go to the store and buy the Wii U right now.

Unfortunately Star Fox is commercially irrelevant like Metroid. If they do bring it back, it will definitely be a reboot that broadens the potential market for the IP.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

I think the problem with Nintendo is lots of people (like me) don't really understand why people like it.

For the most part it's full of the same games rehashed every 1 - 2 years from the NES days. Seems to me it's built on nostalgia and the games don't even resemble what they originally were.

Sure you can say that for lots of games with sequels, but Nintendo takes it one step further. And more to the point the games originally were not even that great at the time, neither were the consoles. But then again the only system I owned back then was the Amiga which did not really have these sorts of games well nothing you can say was an exclusive that was system defining, the games had to stand out on their own and get recognition for being technical achievements.

I don't really see anything from Nintendo that resembles a technical achievement. Maybe that's just me, but I like to see games being pushed to the hardwares limits and new games to emerge that are new and refreshing from time to time.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

@foxhound_fox:

That's fine but what they really need to bring it back to its roots. It was a great single and multiplayer game and was pretty damn fun. Didn't really like the changes they did to it on the Gamecube.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@edwardecl said:

For the most part it's full of the same games rehashed every 1 - 2 years from the NES days. Seems to me it's built on nostalgia and the games don't even resemble what they originally were.

You have to play the games to understand why they aren't "rehashes" in the slightest, and are actually, usually, the pinnacle of the evolution of their respective genres at the time of their release.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@rjdofu said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

Putting it simply:

MS and Sony brought the consoles, Nintendo brought the games.

At a deeper level, the Wii U was looked Down apon for being a minor step over the HD twins, seen as a last gen console late to the party.

But then we saw the X1 and PS4, a bigger step up then the Wii U yes, but not as big as people had thought, so now the Wii U looks more interresting.

There is one major detriment to the Wii U I have to admit, I am happy that I bought the Zombie U bundle, given that it had the pad controller and also the Classic Pro controller. This alone saved the Wii U for me, I dislike the tablet controller, It is truely unpleasent to use for me.

But then With the Wii U The games felt great, they always have, ever since launch. The X1 and PS4 games seems less able to follow that example.

I think that we will see a repeat of the last gen, where the Wii was a great follow companion for the main system/s you have, for some very Unique games, crafted with expertice that can barely be rivaled elsewhere.

It's one year old already, it's unfair to compare the library of the WIi U to the PS4/X1. Launch wise, the WiiU was shit.

To be fair, this forum spent a year comparing the Wii U's library with the Xbox 360 and PS3's libraries, which are seven and eight years old respectively.

And most of those comments came from idiots.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

The Wii U is a decent system if it had been released 3 or 4 years ago. Nintendo made a huge mistake not offering an "HD quality console" years ago (in perhaps 2010) when the Wii fad started to fade and still made the mistake of targeting such low end hardware that offers no real appreciable advantage over the 360 and PS3. In fact it's CPU is weaker than Xenon for gaming! You can see worse slow downs in the Wii U versions of games like Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 than on 360. Nintendo could've had the first console to really support mainstream 1080p rendering instead of the 720p tradition that the Xbox One is set to continue for many games.

beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

Im getting one for xmas as want 3d world is a good console and great that games will be £40 each instead of xbone/ps4's £55 each