Another positive Wii U article - are people finally warming up to Wii U?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) 1 year, 4 days ago

Poll: Another positive Wii U article - are people finally warming up to Wii U? (58 votes)

Yes 59%
No 41%

The Wii U does everything I want it to do, has games that I want to play that I won't find elsewhere, and does it for $100 less (bundled with a pretty great game) than the PS4, and $200 less than the Xbox One.

Yes, that amortizes over the lifetime of the console. Yes, in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge amount of money. But right now, today, it feels a whole lot like not paying more for stuff I don't need. Especially knowing that PS4 and Xbox One price drops are themselves inevitable, and will likely kick in right around when there are finally games you actually want to play on them.

It's entirely possible—probable, even!—that the Xbox One or PS4 is right for you. That's fine. But it's a shame that the Wii U has been left out of this particular conversation altogether. Especially since for some of us, it's the exact right fit.

http://gizmodo.com/why-im-getting-a-wii-u-1469695384

#1 Posted by Randolph (10530 posts) -

I hated Wind Waker. Mario looks fantastic, but then you buy the system and play it, and then…? It's a Nintendo console, for Nintendo games only. I'm finding myself less willing than ever to deal with that.

#2 Edited by Chutebox (37236 posts) -

Hopefully, it's a really good system.

#3 Posted by Shewgenja (9297 posts) -

Compared to the XBone, Nintendo is looking good. It's an inexpensive alternative to the PS4, which will be hard to get a hold of this holidays and no one wants a $500 TV remote.

#4 Posted by SimiManny (30 posts) -

$300 for a system that is as powerful as the 360 with less features, crappy online, only a few decent games which are rehases, in a year, no 3rd party support, it's name is "wii u".

No, we're no easing up on a terrible system that deserves to be ridiculed.

#5 Edited by kazrium (1545 posts) -

I like the WiiU, I am looking forward to getting the new 3D Mario. Good stuff.

#6 Edited by farrell2k (6173 posts) -

The WiiU has been fantastic. I am even enjoying the Walking Dead Survival Instinct that everyone claims is terrible. The controller is awesome, Super Mario 3D World is great. Wind Waker is fantastic. I won't be playing Halo, God of War, or a host of other games on it, but I don't really care. I had both the 360 and the PS3 and never played much of either. The WiiU has been well worth he $299 I paid for it.

#7 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8966 posts) -

The Wii U is a superb console and the perfect thing to have right now. It will take some time for the other two consoles to be worth it and in that time, Nintendo is producing the high quality and creative new software to keep you busy in that time.

If you're a gamer that wants quality gameplay, ingenious level design, creativity, and challenge, Wii U has you covered.

#8 Edited by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

Disappointment with the other two consoles should give the Wii U a nice window of opportunity. If it can get more high quality exclusives like SMW3D in the near future, that'll be a boon to them.

#9 Posted by ActicEdge (24473 posts) -

As soon as NPD sales come out, it'll be gloom and doom again, don't worry lol. It will create a solid little library if you like Nintendo games though. Personally, I'm gonna get one next year and I wanna get NSMBU+NSL, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Pikmin 3, 3D World and some eshop stuff. I wish Capcom would take another shot at Zack and Wiki. Game is too good to not get a sequel.

#10 Edited by W1NGMAN- (9959 posts) -

Once the typical slew of Nintendo titles come out, and the price drops off a little bit the Wii U will be worth a pick up. In the meantime it's an absolute joke of a "nex gen" console.

#11 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@W1NGMAN- said:

Once the typical slew of Nintendo titles come out, and the price drops off a little bit the Wii U will be worth a pick up. In the meantime it's an absolute joke of a "nex gen" console.

Have you played it? It's next gen enough for me. I mean if you want to be a PC snob, you can say the PS4 and X1 are wayyy behind too.

#12 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9770 posts) -

Everytime some one mentions the WiiU I cant help but think of this gif

#13 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

It's a really great second system. You can play the quality nintendo exclusives on it and multiplats on your other one. I wouldn't want it to be my only system though.

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (57752 posts) -

Games sell a system. After one year, the Wii U has some pretty darn compelling games, even as the Xbox One and the PS4 struggle with their lineups (for the time being).

As of right now, the Wii U is the next gen console with the best library (somehow)

#15 Edited by Maroxad (8273 posts) -
@cain006 said:

It's a really great second system. You can play the quality nintendo exclusives on it and multiplats on your other one. I wouldn't want it to be my only system though.

This is usually how Nintendo systems are for me.

They have always been there to provide a change of pace from my typical PC gaming. But most of my gaming will be on the PC where I play all dem multiplats and awesome PC exclusives. I like the nintendo systems a lot though and they have always been well worth their price.

#16 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3579 posts) -

It's the best next gen console by far.

#17 Edited by bbkkristian (14953 posts) -

As expected. The other next gen consoles are didn't live up to their hype.

#18 Edited by lamprey263 (23973 posts) -

I think Nintendo is turning around the Wii U, not a huge turnaround, nothing like what Nintendo did for the 3DS, but hopefully it leads to a respectable place on the gaming market.

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (88426 posts) -

The same thing happened to the 3DS. I've been saying this since this time last year.

#20 Posted by charizard1605 (57752 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

The same thing happened to the 3DS. I've been saying this since this time last year.

The Wii U will experience a turnaround but nowhere near the same level as the 3DS.

#21 Posted by superbuuman (2857 posts) -

As someone who likes Nintendo..I hate to say it, you will have to go dual console..if you don't want to miss out..be it Xbone + Wii U or PS4 + Wii U. I plan to get PS4 later..as I already have a Wii U + a PC...if X is anything like Xenoblade Chronicles..I will be happy already. Still waiting for them to impress on 3D Mario front...Im not wow with Mario 3D World. So I believe there will be another 3D Mario that will surpass Galaxy on Wii U. :P

#22 Edited by Chozofication (2881 posts) -

@superbuuman said:

Still waiting for them to impress on 3D Mario front...Im not wow with Mario 3D World. So I believe there will be another 3D Mario that will surpass Galaxy on Wii U. :P

3D world is a family focused game, unlike Mario 64/sunshine/galaxy. The developers wanted to make 3D mario into a game for everyone, like the 2D games are.

There should be a big 3D game coming eventually, (I HOPE) though 3D world for what it is looks great.

#23 Edited by MBirdy88 (8241 posts) -

I don't understand how people can say the "Wii-U is on a turn around" when its doing exactly what every nintendo console ever does. nothing until its first party starts showing through (and one or 2 3rd party exceptions). Its not a turn around. its the same as any other. out comes mario and freinds, then back into nothingness.

Now I love nintendo games. but £250 because of a controller i could do without. no thanks. its as bad as kinect, infact worse imo. as it does alot less and still inflates the price of the console.

#24 Posted by locopatho (20282 posts) -

Don't act surprised. It's the EXACT same thing happened with N64, GC, and Wii.

The folks who want the most power, best graphics, 3rd party games, all genres, and to have it as a primary system are going to say it's crap.

The folks who want to play Nintendo exclusives and/or use it as a secondary exclusives system are going to be super happy.

Same old, same old.

#25 Posted by chocolate1325 (32525 posts) -

I think that at the moment it hasn't won people over yet with its design and games library it could change though.

#26 Posted by DaBrainz (7666 posts) -

I wasn't a big fan of the wiiU but after 24 hours with the X1 I realize all of the things Nintendo did right.

#27 Posted by TF626 (592 posts) -

I actually picked up a Wii U in December last year, literally collected dust. I recently sold it, Nintendo has a lot of catching up to do.

I however would reconsider buying it down the road, just not feeling it at the moment.

#28 Posted by Iridion-II (1344 posts) -

I personally don't think it's a good system yet.

#29 Posted by Heil68 (44658 posts) -

Nope. All those people who neevr bought a console last gen and bought a Wii for Wii sports wont upgrade, or so it seems. After a year on the market and under 4 million in sales is pretty bad. I dont see anything saving the console from last place this gen, in both sales and maybe even games.

#30 Posted by dino7c (106 posts) -

Mario 3D is awesome...you can talk specs all day long but at the end of the day its about the games. Nintendo 1st party games just can't be missed

#31 Posted by loosingENDS (11826 posts) -

No, people are not warming up to WiiU since it still

1. is super expensive for the crappy hardware

2. has not got any serious games yet, where is the new (real new) Zelda ?

#32 Posted by silversix_ (14639 posts) -

You don't warm up on a piece of turn in a year, five or ten.

#33 Posted by EddyG0RD0 (2568 posts) -

id rather buy GTA5 for my kids , i dont want them to become some nerds defending toys when they grow up

#34 Posted by babycakin (1551 posts) -

@EddyG0RD0:

By golly you're right! Instead your little rugrats should instead become nerds defending toys when they grow up. I mean that's what all 3 systems are, a toy lol.

#35 Posted by CTR360 (7084 posts) -

compare ps4 and x1 with wii-u its mistake

#36 Posted by WAJ (732 posts) -

I have a WiiU ordered for christmas with Wind Waker, Wonderful 101, New Super Mario bros U, Pikmin 3 and Mario World. I can't think of a good reason to buy either a PS4 or Xone, at least not until some games come out that I actually want. I will buy all consoles (as I've done with the last 4 gens or so) eventually though.

#37 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

I think people are looking at the new systems and are disappointed with the current games to play. At which point they look over at the Wii U and see all the games it has to offer right now, rather than waiting for good games to come out. They can play good games now and pick up another system in a few months.

#38 Posted by conkertheking1 (835 posts) -

I think it mostly has to do with the competition. PS4 and Xbone having such bland launches really makes the Wii U stand out this season

#39 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@EddyG0RD0 said:

id rather buy GTA5 for my kids , i dont want them to become some nerds defending toys when they grow up

so you want them to become vulgar psychopaths who swear 24/7 lol

#40 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -

Meh, I wouldn't recommend anyone pick up a Wii U until at least Fall 2014. 3rd Party Support is going to drop off once it does for the PS3 and 360 early next year and then Wii U will be left with major droughts like the Wii. At least buying a Wii U in late 2014 you'll have a decent backlog of Nintendo exclusives to tide you over until the next batch.

#41 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Well you could just wait until Wii u becomes dreamcasted in a few months, pick it up for dirt cheap with smash Bros.

#42 Posted by foxhound_fox (88426 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

The Wii U will experience a turnaround but nowhere near the same level as the 3DS.

Yet.

Just wait. Smash Bros. and Mario Kart will bring it about.

#43 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6521 posts) -

Putting it simply:

MS and Sony brought the consoles, Nintendo brought the games.

At a deeper level, the Wii U was looked Down apon for being a minor step over the HD twins, seen as a last gen console late to the party.

But then we saw the X1 and PS4, a bigger step up then the Wii U yes, but not as big as people had thought, so now the Wii U looks more interresting.

There is one major detriment to the Wii U I have to admit, I am happy that I bought the Zombie U bundle, given that it had the pad controller and also the Classic Pro controller. This alone saved the Wii U for me, I dislike the tablet controller, It is truely unpleasent to use for me.

But then With the Wii U The games felt great, they always have, ever since launch. The X1 and PS4 games seems less able to follow that example.

I think that we will see a repeat of the last gen, where the Wii was a great follow companion for the main system/s you have, for some very Unique games, crafted with expertice that can barely be rivaled elsewhere.

#44 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

@Maddie_Larkin said:

Putting it simply:

At a deeper level, the Wii U was looked Down apon for being a minor step over the HD twins, seen as a last gen console late to the party.

But then we saw the X1 and PS4, a bigger step up then the Wii U yes, but not as big as people had thought, so now the Wii U looks more interresting.

There is one major detriment to the Wii U I have to admit, I am happy that I bought the Zombie U bundle, given that it had the pad controller and also the Classic Pro controller. This alone saved the Wii U for me, I dislike the tablet controller, It is truely unpleasent to use for me.

But then With the Wii U The games felt great, they always have, ever since launch. The X1 and PS4 games seems less able to follow that example.

I think that we will see a repeat of the last gen, where the Wii was a great follow companion for the main system/s you have, for some very Unique games, crafted with expertice that can barely be rivaled elsewhere.

It's one year old already, it's unfair to compare the library of the WIi U to the PS4/X1. Launch wise, the WiiU was shit.

#45 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22470 posts) -

@rjdofu: the wii u launch was just as shitty as the ps4 and bone's launch.

Few decent exclusive, a bunch of cross generation multiplats, and hardware issues out the ass

#46 Posted by charizard1605 (57752 posts) -

@rjdofu said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

Putting it simply:

It's one year old already, it's unfair to compare the library of the WIi U to the PS4/X1. Launch wise, the WiiU was shit.

To be fair, this forum spent a year comparing the Wii U's library with the Xbox 360 and PS3's libraries, which are seven and eight years old respectively.

#47 Edited by Meinhard1 (6770 posts) -

You can't argue that the Wii U is a much more attractive system than it was a year ago.

Of course that's not saying a whole lot, but at the very least it has a solid library with a killer app and some appealing exclusives.

#48 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2688 posts) -

One killer app that will force me to buy one is all I'm waiting for. The new Super Mario is close, but I need more - a brand new 3D Zelda or a brand new Metroid Prime!

#49 Posted by babycakin (1551 posts) -

@BlbecekBobecek:

Yeah Mario Kart is what I'm waiting for, I get addicted to the online play.

@foxhound_fox:

If they were to announce a new Star Fox, I'd go to the store and buy the Wii U right now.

#50 Posted by D3dr0_0 (3495 posts) -

Nintendo always get's bashed at the beginning just to somehow surprise the nay sayers.