Another Naughty Dog departure - Todd Stashwick - IGN

#1 Posted by biggest_loser (23982 posts) -

Maybe just a minor one this time though: one of the voice actors has been replaced for Uncharted 4 according to IGN:

Source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/04/21/star-wars-co-writer-todd-stashwick-recast-in-uncharted-ps4?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Fall+%28IGN+All%29

Writer/actor Todd Stashwick, the voice of the Uncharted PS4 teaser trailer, is no longer involved in Naughty Dog’s Uncharted project.

“They chose to recast my role,” Stashwick told IGN. We've contacted Sony for additional information.

Visceral Games recently hired Stashwick as co-writer on its unannounced Star Wars project, which ex-Naughty Dog creative director Amy Hennig is directing.

Stashwick’s removal from Uncharted PS4 follows both Amy Hennig’s and game director Justin Richmond’s unexpected departures from Naughty Dog. Earlier today, former Naughty Dog lead artist Nate Wells announced his employment at Giant Sparrow, developer of The Unfinished Swan.

#2 Posted by lostrib (31905 posts) -

UC4 sucks confirmed! Sony will sell Naughty Dog now!

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (28788 posts) -

@lostrib said:

UC4 sucks confirmed! Sony will sell Naughty Dog now!

Quoting for future ownage

#4 Posted by nini200 (9390 posts) -

Seriously what is going on at ND?

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8651 posts) -

This isn't news, this isn't anything. Happens all the time

#6 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3341 posts) -

this guy left ages ago because his work was done, all thats happened now is they have scrapped his work and recast someone else. god damn it, this is very disappointing. his voice was amazing in that trailer.

uncharted is being completely rebooted from its original vision. i dont care if it doesnt come out this year because there are plenty of other games, just make it great like uc2

#7 Posted by mems_1224 (45826 posts) -

Damn, even the voice actors are leaving.

#8 Posted by Zero_epyon (5048 posts) -

All we heard of this person was a voice for a trailer, so I'm still not worried. I say let me know when the entire A team at ND jumps ship, then I'd be cautious about the future of ND.

#9 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

When you destroy the competition like Naughty Gods have, any development, no matter how big and small, will be used by to help sooth the lem/herm ass sting.

#10 Posted by Zero_epyon (5048 posts) -

@mems_1224: “They chose to recast my role”

Doesn't look like he left, more like ND changed directions with the character he was playing.

#11 Posted by Heil68 (42727 posts) -
#12 Posted by Blabadon (25291 posts) -

Is there chickenpox in the office, goddamn

#13 Posted by Wasdie (49363 posts) -

Them choosing to recast the role isn't the same as him leaving. IGN is baiting for hits.

#14 Edited by lglz1337 (3027 posts) -

thr best dev in this industry with the best gotys will always have a magnifier on his name

in short this is nothing new happens every day only those weak ass devs @ms you never heard of will not be this important when people leaving

#15 Posted by lglz1337 (3027 posts) -

@Wasdie: and also this when something happens @ND instant million hits

#16 Posted by Nike_Air (18263 posts) -

Rumors are that Kiefer Sutherland is playing Nathan Drake now , and Nolan North was offered a role as the bad guy lead but declined.

#17 Edited by SolidTy (41599 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Them choosing to recast the role isn't the same as him leaving. IGN is baiting for hits.

Is it IGN or is it the TC?

IGN used the word "recast", but the Title contains "departure". Either way, I think IGN phrased it for clickbait though with the subtitle: "Another important Uncharted player is out at Naughty Dog."

It seems he chose to side with Amy and ND maybe didn't like that...

"Visceral Games recently hired Stashwick as co-writer on its unannounced Star Wars project, which ex-Naughty Dog creative director Amy Hennig is directing."

#18 Posted by Heil68 (42727 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@Wasdie said:

They used recast, but the OP contains departure.

Was the OP made for nefarious reasons? I'm shocked and disappointed if it was.

#19 Posted by Wasdie (49363 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@Wasdie said:

They used recast, but the OP contains departure.

They chose to report it. The person has no affiliation with the Uncharted series outside of the trailer. This isn't really news. They are just doing it because some people left Naughty Dog recently.

This kind of stuff happens all of the time, especially with actors. Voice actors work for maybe 2-5 days on the game. Recording their lines doesn't take long. It's not really the same as losing the main character like when David Hayter was replaced. If it was one of the main characters like Nolan North, then it would be news. It's not. This is just click bait.

#20 Edited by SolidTy (41599 posts) -
@Heil68 said:

@SolidTy said:

@Wasdie said:

IGN used the word "recast", but the Title contains "departure". Either way, I think IGN phrased it for clickbait though with the subtitle: "Another important Uncharted player is out at Naughty Dog."

"Visceral Games recently hired Stashwick as co-writer on its unannounced Star Wars project, which ex-Naughty Dog creative director Amy Hennig is directing."

Was the OP made for nefarious reasons? I'm shocked and disappointed if it was.

I refuse to believe that something that treacherous could happen here, but if true, I would be a sad monkey.

Perhaps IGN and the TC are in cahoots...you never know.

Mostly the TC reported the news, but I blame IGN!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, donuts can be yummy.

#21 Posted by ni6htmare01 (840 posts) -

Most likely they change the story for UC4 after they let go Amy Henning!

#22 Edited by SolidTy (41599 posts) -
@Wasdie said:

@SolidTy said:

@Wasdie said:

They chose to report it. The person has no affiliation with the Uncharted series outside of the trailer. This isn't really news. They are just doing it because some people left Naughty Dog recently.

This kind of stuff happens all of the time, especially with actors. Voice actors work for maybe 2-5 days on the game. Recording their lines doesn't take long. It's not really the same as losing the main character like when David Hayter was replaced. If it was one of the main characters like Nolan North, then it would be news. It's not. This is just click bait.

He did a such a fine job with that trailer according to my sources (I never saw it). It was the tiny teaser trailer of all trailers if speculation is to be believed, or at least if IGN is to be believed.

Now the actor is working with Ex Naughty Dog Alum Amy Hennig. He chose the Dark side working on Star Wars, turning his back on Naughty Dog Jedi. They had no choice but to boot him from the Jedi camp and recast for good. Good luck to this random actor and may hell fire rain down on IGNs souls.

#23 Posted by SolidTy (41599 posts) -

Plus, this actor guy has ties to Amy and might have been spying on ND for Amy. She has plans. ND can't have any of that. So a recasting they must do.

#24 Posted by freedomfreak (38301 posts) -

Oh no. Not Todd Stashwick.

#25 Edited by charizard1605 (54541 posts) -

Oh no, whatever will I do now, how will I ever enjoy Uncharted 4 now that Todd Stashwick has left, er, been recast?

#26 Posted by heretrix (37253 posts) -

Uncharted or Star Wars? That's not even a question you ask yourself.

#27 Posted by mems_1224 (45826 posts) -

Oh no, whatever will I do now, how will I ever enjoy Uncharted 4 now that Todd Stashwick has left, er, been recast?

This is worse news than the time they replaced awesome Chie from the original Persona 4 with ditzy, annoying blonde Chie from P4G

#28 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8688 posts) -

I'm a big fan of his, so this sucks big time for me. :(

#29 Edited by Meinhard1 (6745 posts) -

Yeah. While departures can be a bad sign, the fact is that devs like ND have prime pickings when it comes to hiring new employees.

#30 Edited by tonitorsi (8144 posts) -

Directors > replaceable voice actors.

And again, its been said many times, as long as Neil Druckman, Evan Wells, Chrsitophe Balestra and Bruce Straley stay put...we are going to keep getting Uncharted 2 / The Last Of Us levels of fine game directing.

#31 Posted by heretrix (37253 posts) -

@SolidTy said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

Plus, this actor guy has ties to Amy and might have been spying on ND for Amy. She has plans. ND can't have any of that. So a recasting they must do.

I doubt spying had anything to do with it. The guy is more of an TV actor than an industry type (seriously, he's been in a ton of TV shows) so I doubt he'd have access to anything that Amy wouldn't have known about already.

Something definitely shady went down though, but we will never know who did what.

(apologies if you are kidding)

#32 Edited by tonitorsi (8144 posts) -

Some good news.

#33 Edited by intotheminx (374 posts) -

I wonder why so many people are jumping on this Star Wars game? I've heard rumors it could be this.....

#34 Edited by SolidTy (41599 posts) -

@heretrix said:

@SolidTy said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

I doubt spying had anything to do with it. The guy is more of an TV actor than an industry type (seriously, he's been in a ton of TV shows) so I doubt he'd have access to anything that Amy wouldn't have known about already.

Something definitely shady went down though, but we will never know who did what.

(apologies if you are kidding)

I thought that joke worked well. Amy is Dr. Evil in my vision.

Scandals!

Something iffy seemed to have occurred, but I just had fun with the embellishment.

#35 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

Ice cold Druckmann. Ice f*cking cold.

All previous ties to Amy Hennig are being severed! :P

#36 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (5917 posts) -

Maybe he left from uncreative differences.

#37 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5496 posts) -

This isn't news, this isn't anything. Happens all the time

Yep.

#38 Posted by Shewgenja (7974 posts) -

Uncharted 4 is a silent movie confirmed!

#39 Posted by Basinboy (10932 posts) -

What's going on? UC4 is being overhauled. Amy Hennig is no longer creative director and Druckmann is revamping the cast to meet his creative agenda.

Really wanting that NDA to expire to know what is going on beneath the surface....

#40 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2617 posts) -

There is nothing to worry about folks. Lems are reaching a little here. And what is so bad about getting some new blood in on the Uncharted series?

#41 Posted by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

TC, you should be very ashamed of yourself!

#42 Posted by hippiesanta (9735 posts) -

Damn, even the voice actors are leaving.

he's not leaving ..... N god choose to sack him @ recast him to someone else

#43 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3262 posts) -

Makes me laugh that people are so concerned about the personnel turnover of a studio with a staff of dozens making a game not out for over a year. Honestly, it gets more articles than most AAA games out this year.

#44 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9299 posts) -

Its just a voice actor.....

Uncharted 3 had one of it good voice actors for a character that was pretty important to the story leave to go do a movie half way through, and they had to kill off that character in the game in a lame fashion when you play the game and you can obviously tell that the story had to be adjusted to what they originally had planned (a reason why some people said that U3 felt disappointing in the story department).

#45 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1874 posts) -

I wonder why so many people are jumping on this Star Wars game? I've heard rumors it could be this.....

I am sad that this game is not coming out :-(

#46 Posted by nervmeister (15135 posts) -

Considering how much revenue the Uncharted series brought in for Sony and the impact TLOU made as a new IP, only a complete dumbass would believe that Naught Dog would close down at this point.

#47 Posted by Vecna (3322 posts) -

@intotheminx said:

It did look good from what I have seen.

#48 Posted by intotheminx (374 posts) -

@intotheminx said:

If you're into rumors, a lot of people believe this is the game Visceral is working on, but will be changing the name.

#49 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149569 posts) -

Oh noez what will we do a voice actor was recast.....seriously TC.