Another amazing PC game, Cities: Skyline

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cities-skylines

The recent most SimCity failed, but this came and conquered.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

never heard of it, must suck

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -God-

i wish someone would make a sim:tower clone

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts
@-God- said:

SimCity4 failed, but this came and conquered.

Do you mean, Simcity (2013)?

Simcity 4 is quite successful. ^_^

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

I wonder how the series will sell since EA pretty much killed the Sims franchise and Maxis.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Looks great, been watching gameplay on stream today and the player said it is better than lastest Sim City

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

This was a pretty hyped game within the PC community. Top selling Steam game for quite awhile. It's really, really good. Not insanely complex like other Paradox games but way more depth than Sim City.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

I wonder how the series will sell since EA pretty much killed the Sims franchise and Maxis.

It's been sitting at #1 top seller on Steam since before release and is currently 5th most played according to steamcharts, also has a very respectable peak concurrent playership of 50,128. I've played around 8 hours so far and it's a damn good game, and on it's own merits not just due to a lack of good city builders.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

@Postosuchus said:

@NoodleFighter said:

It's been sitting at #1 top seller on Steam since before release and is currently 5th most played according to steamcharts, also has a very respectable peak concurrent playership of 50,128. I've played around 8 hours so far and it's a damn good game, and on it's own merits not just due to a lack of good city builders.

Great news and I'm sure Paradox was doing a victory dance when they heard Maxis close down, since it removed their competition and they can hire their talent. I didn't think Cities would do well since looking at XL and XXL's ratings but it seems most of it was due to bugs and people made at both of them being the same game.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Postosuchus

@NoodleFighter:

The fact that they gave out review copies to seemingly anyone with a decently sized youtube channel and allowed livestreams/let's plays a week in advance helped a bunch, I bet. Certainly got me to pre-order. Plus us city building fans have been starving for a good new one for 12 years.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -God-

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@-God- said:

SimCity4 failed, but this came and conquered.

Do you mean, Simcity (2013)?

Simcity 4 is quite successful. ^_^

I meant the most recent SimCity my bad.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Will pick it up later this year I guess

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I'm glad that it's doing well. Picking this up later this month after Pillars of Eternity.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

@-God- said:

i wish someone would make a sim:tower clone

Oh man, I would be in for it immediately.

Going to pick up Cities: Skylines in a sale for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

What makes it even better, full Steam Workshop support... this game will go far with mods... far past Sim City or Tropico.

It already has 9x the size of sim city maps ... but that is a cap, there is a mod already to remove the cap.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5819 Posts

Had a quick play of this last night.

Its really good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Gonna buy.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

What makes it even better, full Steam Workshop support... this game will go far with mods... far past Sim City or Tropico.

It already has 9x the size of sim city maps ... but that is a cap, there is a mod already to remove the cap.

Maybe you can help me out. I'm a newbie on Steam Workshop. How does it work? I'm in game and I see these mods, but am unable to enable them. I click on them and it takes me to the steam page, and it says to hit "subscribe" to download file (one I want in the color correction). I do so, and I can't find anywhere to DL any file. I feel like I'm missing something obvioius, but how do mods work exactly? How do I DL and install them? Thx for any help.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@MirkoS77 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Maybe you can help me out. I'm a newbie on Steam Workshop. How does it work? I'm in game and I see these mods, but am unable to enable them. I click on them and it takes me to the steam page, and it says to hit "subscribe" to download file (one I want in the color correction). I do so, and I can't find anywhere to DL any file. I feel like I'm missing something obvioius, but how do mods work exactly? How do I DL and install them? Thx for any help.

When you subscribe to a mod it downloads it to your game automatically, I don't own Cities yet so im not sure how it manages mods.

faking_it_bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 faking_it_bad
Member since 2015 • 31 Posts

ma bredren dis game looks nerdy like toylet paper. I wonda why u playin dis stuff?

dis not even a real game to play wit family and friendlies.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

This game is what Sim City (2013) should have been. It's an excellent game and I didn't have that much fun building cities since SC 2000.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

Appreciate it MBirdy88. :)

OT, I love games like this, but I suck ass at them. I can't even get a decent size town (much less a city) going before all my money runs out, citizens die, and most of the time they're pretty miserable until they just wait to croak. Plus, 90% of the time I have the fucking thing on pause because I'm trying to plan out my roads so as not cause congestion late game. You have to be a civil engineer to be good at this stuff, because there's a proper way to lay infrastructure, and an improper one. So....

Which I suppose is part of the fun, but putting all that work in to have it fall apart later is kind of is a bummer. This is a very cool game though and for the price it's a great value. This will last for years and years. Solid mechanics, eveything's smoothly programmed and efficient, and the menus are simple and effective at giving pertinent information without being overly burdensome. I love the tilt shift lens and looking in on my little mongrel citizens going about their business. I wish there were disasters I could lay on them to watch them run and scream in terror. Ah well, maybe in the sequel or mods. Taxes and feeding them their own sewage water will have to suffice for now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Well this happened. Lol EA.

Cities: Skylines breaks Paradox' day-one sales records

City-building sim Cities: Skylines has become Paradox' most successful game launch, selling 250,000 copies in its first 24 hours. The number—tallied from day one sales and pre-orders—has made CEO Fredrik Wester quite happy.

“We would like to offer our deepest and heartfelt thanks to the community for their passionate support and to let them know that we are committed to supporting this wonderful game for years to come, in much the same way that we have for our Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis communities," he sends in a statement.

"We knew that we had a great game on our hands and so to be able to continue to provide fans of the game with a multitude of new content for it going forward is fantastic.”

The inclusion of mod support should certainly help Skylines' longevity. There are already more than 3,400 mods hosted on the Steam workshop page, including one that lets you wander around your city in first-person, and another that adds a convenient autosave function.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Well this happened. Lol EA.

Cities: Skylines breaks Paradox' day-one sales records

City-building sim Cities: Skylines has become Paradox' most successful game launch, selling 250,000 copies in its first 24 hours. The number—tallied from day one sales and pre-orders—has made CEO Fredrik Wester quite happy.

“We would like to offer our deepest and heartfelt thanks to the community for their passionate support and to let them know that we are committed to supporting this wonderful game for years to come, in much the same way that we have for our Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis communities," he sends in a statement.

"We knew that we had a great game on our hands and so to be able to continue to provide fans of the game with a multitude of new content for it going forward is fantastic.”

The inclusion of mod support should certainly help Skylines' longevity. There are already more than 3,400 mods hosted on the Steam workshop page, including one that lets you wander around your city in first-person, and another that adds a convenient autosave function.

Don't own the 2013 Sim City, and I am actually planning on buying Skylines....but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimCity_%282013_video_game%29

SimCity sold over 1.1 million copies in its first two weeks, 54 percent of those sales were of the download version of the game.[125] As of July 2013 the game has sold over two million copies.[126]

Honestly I'm not sure EA is really crying at this much, even if the general consensus is their game was a dud player impression wise.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

My my style of game, but i'm happy it's doing so well. Top seller on Steam and 250K already? Nice.

bu-bu-bu-but pc has no good exclusives

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Saw day9 streaming this and while is not my thing (last SimCity i played was on the SNES) it definitely looks interesting.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It's an absolutely fantastic sim and a great base to what should be a very successful franchise.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Just another amazing game for the best gaming platform with highest scoring games.

PC establishing exclusive superiority

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

the sim city complaints were 99% bullshit.

it was broken and didn't work correctly for a week.

like every single other online game i have owned for the last decade.

i will never get why every once in awhile some game gets called out over it while the rest don't.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Postosuchus

@Renevent42 said:

Don't own the 2013 Sim City, and I am actually planning on buying Skylines....but:

SimCity sold over 1.1 million copies in its first two weeks, 54 percent of those sales were of the download version of the game.[125] As of July 2013 the game has sold over two million copies.[126]

Honestly I'm not sure EA is really crying at this much, even if the general consensus is their game was a dud player impression wise.

While I agree to an extent, Simcity 2013 was the first "true" installment of a popular series in a decade, with a massive publisher and funding behind it. Skylines was made by a next to no-name developer with a skeleton crew, small budget, a relatively little mainstream media pre-release blitz. With the fact they've garnered 1/4th of Simcity's two week sales in 2 days, and have much better critical reviews, I would expect EA to be taking a closer look.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@Postosuchus said:

@Renevent42 said:

While I agree to an extent, Simcity 2013 was the first "true" installment of a popular series in a decade, with a massive publisher and funding behind it. Skylines was made by a next to no-name developer with a skeleton crew, small budget, a relatively little mainstream media pre-release blitz. With the fact they've garnered 1/4th of Simcity's two week sales in 2 days, and have much better critical reviews, I would expect EA to be taking a closer look.

Fair enough, and I can agree with that as well.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -God-

This is a great way to make bank.

Take a genre that has been absent for a very long time and has had recent major flop, and make something amazing.

Imagine if someone made a good version of Thief.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

lol...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5ebea105efb64

@Heil68 said:

lol...

why?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

This game does look outstanding.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Riverwolf007 said:

i will never get why every once in awhile some game gets called out over it while the rest don't.

Because they were also charging for crappy DLC of features/buildings that should be in as standard? because the map sizes were abysmal ? there were PLEANTY of things wrong with Sim city beyond its initial launch.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

Because they were also charging for crappy DLC of features/buildings that should be in as standard? because the map sizes were abysmal ? there were PLEANTY of things wrong with Sim city beyond its initial launch.

wait, wait wait.... whoa.

ea is greedy, lazy and incompetent?

do people know about this???

lol.

anyway at the time the big news was the always online and how it didn't work for shit.

the tiny cities, crap gameplay that relied on a community and rip off dlc were working exactly as intended.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46004 Posts

For exclusives that aren't 5 hour QTE-fest walking simulators, buy a PC.

@NoodleFighter said:

Very good apparently, game has been among the top played games on Steam since launch. I'm guessing it sold really well.

EA are idiots for closing Maxis.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By -God-

@Gamerno6666 said:

@Heil68 said:

lol...

why?

When you're losing, there doesn't have to be a "why".

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-order-1886

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/driveclub

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/knack

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/killzone-shadow-fall

Some points in a gen, all you can do is spam and troll, as it becomes your only option. Dem' Sony Droughts.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#42 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: On the flip side, the employees who just got laid off is now open on the market, and what better place to join than the little company that just made the best city builder since SimCity 4?

PS- Yes, Anno 2070 was a solid one as well, but not really a SimCity style builder.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68

@-God- said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

@Heil68 said:

lol...

why?

When you're losing, there doesn't have to be a "why".

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-order-1886

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/driveclub

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/knack

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/killzone-shadow-fall

Some points in a gen, all you can do is spam and troll, as it becomes your only option. Dem' Sony Droughts.

I love MC, it shows Naughty Gods makers of 2 top 5 GOAT's. Thanks for post TC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46004 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

@R4gn4r0k: On the flip side, the employees who just got laid off is now open on the market, and what better place to join than the little company that just made the best city builder since SimCity 4?

PS- Yes, Anno 2070 was a solid one as well, but not really a SimCity style builder.

Yeah but people from the US can't just up and move to Finland.

Then again, this is 2015 and we have developers from all around the world working on a single game (like Ori)

Colossal Order should definitely consider hiring some of them.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -God-

@Heil68 said:

It also shows that the Playstation is usually 3rd place. Like this gen. All those flops!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heil68

@-God- said:

@Heil68 said:

It also shows that the Playstation is usually 3rd place. Like this gen. All those flops!

except an unprecedented amount of GOTYs and a perfect 10/10 exclusive that PC can only dream of. :D

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -God-

@Heil68 said:

@-God- said:

@Heil68 said:

except

Not except, 3rd place is 3rd place.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

God this game looks fun. Definitely getting it after exams!! Glad I'm on PC hehe

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

@Postosuchus said:

@NoodleFighter said:

Great news and I'm sure Paradox was doing a victory dance when they heard Maxis close down, since it removed their competition and they can hire their talent. I didn't think Cities would do well since looking at XL and XXL's ratings but it seems most of it was due to bugs and people made at both of them being the same game.

This game has nothing to do with Cities XL. It just has a badly thought out name.

This is made by the guys who did the Cities in Motion franchise, which were quite well received.