Android boxes may exceed ps4/x1 visuals soon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

No I am not crazy.

Lets look at the Tegra X1. The nvidia shield roughly as powerful and even more so in certain aspects than the 360 for $199. Take into account processor speeds roughly double every two years and that the next ps5/x2 will be another 4+ years away there is a possibility set top boxes with mobile chips will exceed the visuals of the current consoles. Thoughts?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Is there anything of note to even play on them?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

There are some games that are worth playing on Android. But none of them are Graphic Powerhouses like say The Witcher 3 or Arkham Knight.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@lundy86_4 said:

There are some games that are worth playing on Android. But none of them are Graphic Powerhouses like say The Witcher 3 or Arkham Knight.

My sole access to android is my phone, and i've never had the urge to even try out gaming on it. Pretty sure my brother picked up KotOR, but I play that bad boy in 1080p on my PC.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@lundy86_4: yeah like I said. Some good games but nothing to note about

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I don't think processing power doubling every two years is true anymore :(

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

The Shield console has a pretty good lineup. Here are their android games Android Games

Here are games you can play over their grid cloud service:Grid

I don't own one yet but do agree the software lineup needs to be better. This is just getting off the ground and not a bad start for $199.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I'm actually quite impressed with the native games list. Still not something I'd dump any decent amount of money into but I'm all for more console variety with good games.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I've been saying tablets will outperform and outdo visually the ps4 and xbox one during their generation since they launched. Nividia's Tegra line of chips will most likely be the one too do it but I could see a decently priced APU model of Tablets that outdo them as well if AMD get their shit together. Every time I bring it up people scoff and laugh at me but when there are all ready tablets that out do both the machines (Though at an absurd price point) it's hard to to not think it's going to happen.

The Tegra X1 is the first step to seeing this realized and if people honestly don't think tablet or android boxes are going to surpass the current gen of consoles in the tech and visual department, then they really haven't being paying attention to tech and where it's been shifting most of it's focus for the last 10 years.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

There might be technology by the time this generation is over but likely you won't get any benefit from it. Android is also a pretty heavy OS, so likely no one will really capitalize on the hardware any time soon.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

You're not going to find developers willing to make games with PS4 visuals on an android device.

double_a73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 double_a73
Member since 2008 • 510 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

You're not going to find developers willing to make games with PS4 visuals on an android device.

This. The market just isn't there, and likely won't be barring a full-fledge Android powered console from the big 3

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

The 9 year old PS3 is still better for gaming today...

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

I've been saying tablets will outperform and outdo visually the ps4 and xbox one during their generation since they launched. Nividia's Tegra line of chips will most likely be the one too do it but I could see a decently priced APU model of Tablets that outdo them as well if AMD get their shit together. Every time I bring it up people scoff and laugh at me but when there are all ready tablets that out do both the machines (Though at an absurd price point) it's hard to to not think it's going to happen.

The Tegra X1 is the first step to seeing this realized and if people honestly don't think tablet or android boxes are going to surpass the current gen of consoles in the tech and visual department, then they really haven't being paying attention to tech and where it's been shifting most of it's focus for the last 10 years.

I don't think that's far fetched at all. Why would anyone think phones won't catch up? Phones and tablets were outperforming PS3/360 after around 2012-2013 or so (just in terms of graphics processing, not so much in other areas). I'm sure in a few years it will be the same for this gen. Although tablet/mobile gaming is still sort of a separate thing to me - can't get into playing games on my phone. So at the end of the day whether they become "more powerful" isn't of much relevance...

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 PAL360  Online
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I have yet to see an andriod game with tbe visuals of the 360 and PS3 games, let alone X1 and PS4, which are 10+ times more powerful.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

You will probably have another 4 years before they can match there power. By then we will have new consoles.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

lol. these things wont exceed ps4 anytime soon. They can barely run a 10 year old game like GTA San Andreas on them at low res without bad framerate drops.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

Ok. Good for them, but they are irrelevant.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#19 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@gamevet77: ive never seen a single mobile game that didnt look like 2 generations late

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#20 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@gamevet77: but all we be done in shoestring budgets and made cross platform for phones and tablets.

Then you have to take into.account the contol schemes... touch controls.suck...eww

Next pricing model... with 99% of all abdroid games being free to play with pay to win, and crap genres like moba again ewww.

The android games that are not like that are either ports from console with downgrades in visual and features (ala gta), or indie games like spiderweb software avernum or roguelikes kike nethack... which rock, but dont need more than basic overlay 2d graphics. Making this thread pointless.

You wont have new ip AAA support on android with no pay to win or "gems" to buy.

The mobile model is the worst. What sucks is that phone games were actually not bad like that pre ios.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I love android and am currently on my 3rd android phone and also have a samsung galaxy tab S 10.5 but it makes me laugh when i hear people saying that phones from 2-3 years ago outperformed the PS3/360 and soon the PS4/bone.

i have yet to see even a top android game on any device look as good as GTA V or Uncharted 2/3 on the PS3 let alone anything on the current gen of consoles. On paper they may have similar power however as we all know in the real world things are not as they seem.

If someone builds an android device that matches my PS3/4 completely in graphics, sound, physics and playability then i'm more than willing to admit i was wrong but im 98% certain this wont happen and all of the people saying it will are completely delusional and just a little bit mad.

Prove me wrong, im open to it.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It's good that these devices are chasing. Will push consoles forward.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Everything can happen, but I don't see that coming any time soon.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Android fucking blows.

I shudder just thinking about this janky OS being a big thing in videogames. An OS aimed at people who like to roleplay as wannabe modders and lite-programmers for a week, then are stuck in an open ecosystem that does nothing as smoothly as it could if it was more streamlined and built to more specific hardware instead of a one-size-fits-all shitty approach, across all sorts of low budget and high budget devices.

The only reason it exists is to offer an alernative to more closed ecosystems, and that is good and all, but fucking hell do I personally hate the idea of even more bloated, intrusive and poorly optimized software between me and the game I want to play. Nope.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Exceeding the 360 after it's been on the market for nearly 10 years isn't really that impressive or surprising.

Someday, yeah, Android boxes will surpass the PS4, but there's no reason to think that a PS5 won't be out by the time it happens.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#26 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Sure mobile devices are rapidly catching up spec and power wise, but that doesnt mean the games will be there.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

That! I want to see them try some APU for set top at least.. then evetually gaming centric Full Windows handhelds. Heck even some 2016 AMD tablets please. Just wanna see how it actually performs for a retail product. I remember seeing the Mullins tablet but IDK what happened to that.

IMO x86 is to go for full Steam backwards compatibility and not just Android gaming.. the other alternative is Cloud based but you don't need power for that.. unless devs start release native Android/iOS versions of Witcher 4, CoDMW 4 and BF5 when the Android/iOS SoCs are good enough.

Set top boxes will probably reach that first because it has more power budget and cooling.

I hope throttling is improved or removed for more gaming centrice Android/iOS/"handheld PCs" -devices.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

the power might be there yes but the games won't

Noone is going to make a game like the witcher 3 on android

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

the power might be there yes but the games won't

Noone is going to make a game like the witcher 3 on android

That's why I think Windows Set-top boxes (not as power limited as smartphones or tablets) would be a better alternative in the context of gaming due to Steam library not mostly mobile casul or low budget games.

Intel + NV or AMD APU.