Android based USB stick-sized console (OUYA rival)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by homeboylizard (1289 posts) -

A new console project has appeared on Kickstarter. It's a USB sized TV console with a controler running on Android OS. It has been named the GameStick.

I just 1 day it already got ~75,000$ of support. It is set to rival OUYA and have a working prototype as shown in the video.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

#2 Posted by joel_c17 (2935 posts) -
Super
#3 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26233 posts) -

>rival something that isn't out yet
>rival a weak piece of hardware that wont catch on

There are people who actually think Ouya can run Battlefield and Crysis.

#4 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
Unlikely. This will be significantly less powerful than the Tegra 3 in the Ouya. The HDMI spec sets an extremely low minimum on the 5V line, so they have to design for a very conservative power budget in order to ensure compatibility. Roku is building devices like this, but they're basically a wifi chip and a video decoder. If they didn't insist on the single-plug design, they'd be a lot better off.
#5 Posted by bobbetybob (19296 posts) -
Go go ridiculous Kickstarter Backers!!! Do people really have this much expendable income? For yet another weird console that I have no idea who it's marketed at. Why wouldn't I just spent an extra $50 or less and get a Nintendo DS if I wanted great cheap portable gaming? Why do these small companies suddenly feel like playing phone games on a big screen is going to be the future of gaming? Just seems like a great way to go bankrupt to me.
#6 Posted by percuvius2 (1982 posts) -

I expect way more out of a NEW CONSOLE than weak ass android.

#7 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -
No thank you. I think my imagination has more gaming capabilities.
#8 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6033 posts) -

While Ouya has yet to prove itself, though I'm hoping it is successful, it is a far better device than Game Stick. The memory in the Ouya is expandable via USB ports, features both Wi-Fi and Ethernet port for places where Wi-Fi is unavailable or presents issues, the control looks far more comfortable to hold, and features a touch pad so touch input is still a possibility.

#9 Posted by Tessellation (8811 posts) -
weak
#10 Posted by osirisx3 (2008 posts) -

this is why ouya will fail anyone can make a android console. Its as stupid as making an window based console.

#11 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
>not sony/ms/nintendo LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL