An Update on Mass Effect: Andromeda - Set for early 2017 launch.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts
By Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare

With Mass Effect™: Andromeda, our team at BioWare™ is exploring how far they can take this beloved franchise. Yes, we’re building the best of what we all love about Mass Effect – amazing stories, characters and fun third-person shooter combat – and bringing them along with us on the expedition to Andromeda. But we’re also excited to be introducing new features and ways you can enjoy a Mass Effect game.

More Freedom: One of our biggest ambitions is to give players an unprecedented level of freedom for a Mass Effect experience –where you’ll go, how you’ll get there, and how you’ll play.

New Uncharted Worlds: We’re leaving the Milky Way behind and headed to Andromeda, where we’ll meet new allies, confront new enemies, and explore fascinating new worlds.

The Next Great Mass Effect Experience:Mass Effect: Andromeda will be the first Mass Effect game for today’s consoles and the first built on the Frostbite engine. We’re pushing the technology to deliver visuals, story, and gameplay that have never been done in franchise history.

As we’ve been playing the game at the studio recently, it’s showing us that we’re taking the game in the right direction. But we also know we need the right amount of time to make sure we deliver everything the game can be and should be – that’s our commitment from all of us to all of you. Because of that, Mass Effect: Andromeda will now ship in early 2017. We can’t wait to show you how far we’re all going to go. We’ll see you at the EA PLAY press conference on June 12, with an update.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Source

I'm especially excited for "More Freedom" , can't wait for June 12.

Thoughts?

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

NX launch title confirmed.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mjorh

@spike6958 said:

Hmmm.....yeah it could be, nice catch :D

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

10/10. GOTY 2017. BEST GAME EVER OF 2017.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mjorh

@indzman said:

10/10. GOTY 2017. BEST GAME EVER OF 2017.

INDEED !

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I hope "more freedom" won't make the game too tedious. I don't want to drive around endless planets looking to mine 125 Platinum to upgrade my space boots. Hope they go for a bit more quality over quantity approach. I'm otpimistic for now, first trailer looked great!

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

As long as they take their time and make it great. Give back some of the RPG elements (tweaked up a bit though) and maintain the arcade shooter feel 3 had for a perfect mix.

Avatar image for terminalyinsane
TerminalyInsane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 TerminalyInsane
Member since 2016 • 99 Posts

Cool with me. A lot of games coming out. It will give me something to play early next year.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

@mjorh said:
@spike6958 said:

Remember what happen to Mass Effect 3 Wii U version? Yeah good luck with that having it on NX and EA stated that any M-rated games will NOT be on Nintendo console. Mass Effect is known to be M-rated after all.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mjorh

@davillain- said:
@mjorh said:
@spike6958 said:

Remember what happen to Mass Effect 3 Wii U version? Yeah good luck with that having it on NX and EA stated that any M-rated games will NOT be on Nintendo console. Mass Effect is known to be M-rated after all.

Why's that?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

I'm cool with this delay, too many games releasing this year for the most parts and I rather see Bioware just take all the time in needs to make the best Mass Effect game to date. I don't know about you guys in SW, but I would at least like or rather hope that EA/Bioware are still considering Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered version very least to make up for the delay and I love Mass Effect, will gladly re-buy remastered version.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mjorh

@davillain- said:

I'm cool with this delay, too many games releasing this year for the most parts and I rather see Bioware just take all the time in needs to make the best Mass Effect game to date. I don't know about you guys in SW, but I would at least like or rather hope that EA/Bioware are still considering Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered version very least to make up for the delay and I love Mass Effect, will gladly re-buy remastered version.

That would a remaster that i'd buy in a heartbeat ....EA is so stupid for not doing it.

CEO said that they don't like to do any Remasters ....idiots.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

delays didn't make DAI any better but I'm glad they're taking their time .....

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@mjorh said:

Why's that?

Mature games on Nintendo console don't sell well is what EA stated awhile back as to why they stop porting any Mature rating games for Wii U. EA loses money when porting games for Wii U.

@mjorh said:

That would a remaster that i'd buy in a heartbeat ....EA is so stupid for not doing it.

CEO said that they don't like to do any Remasters ....idiots.

ME1 does in fact need a huge makeover, that game is sooo outdated, ME2/3 however still hold up well today's standards. I really hope EA considers it giving the fact they put up a survey asking what you like to see Mass Effect remaster while back. We'll see what EA does this years E3 2016.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#15 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

I have faith in you Bioware, I hope they don't disappoint us. Remember Mass Effect 1-2 well, remember Dragon Age Origins well, remember all what made you a legend.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The Eroica biting his pillow to sleep tonight. Bed wetting confirmed.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

My body will be ready!!

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

The first was pretty good but the ME2 was just awesome. What got me so hooked were all the details of the decisions of the past following you and changing the story.

I hope they can pull that off again.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I'm surprised so many people are hyped for this game... DAI wasn't that great, and ME3 was fairly poor. They don't have the best recent track record.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mjorh

@heguain said:

I have faith in you Bioware, I hope they don't disappoint us. Remember Mass Effect 1-2 well, remember Dragon Age Origins well, remember all what made you a legend.

Indeed!

Btw, kewl avatar !

@FoxbatAlpha said:

The Eroica biting his pillow to sleep tonight. Bed wetting confirmed.

lmao

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

How is that early 2017?

That smack dab in the middle. Got my hopes up TC.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

I hope "more freedom" isn't the UBIsoft brand of more freedom. Because Mass Effect is a story driven game that COULD translate to open world well, but if they stuff full of mindless, weightless and insignificant side missions, they won't win any love from me. I want a thick new story with characters and narrative that grab me the way the first trilogy did...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator

@DragonfireXZ95: Dragon age inquisition was the 2014 game of the year...

Mass Effect 3 is a 93 on metacritic...

I think the fictional narrative that Bioware isn't producing great games is as shallow as it gets.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEroica  Moderator

@mjorh: @FoxbatAlpha: I solved this problem months ago when it was a no show at the last e3 and there was next to no information revealed throughout the year. No show, no chance of 2016 release... My guess is it will release spring/summer of 2017... Another delay is coming. My guess...

The next delay will certainly mess with my head.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica  Moderator

@magicalclick: no chance... My guess is all new everything... The last cast will be diafied in the new game. Shepard is basically Neil Armstrong with a machine gun...

Garrus is like Jesus Vakarian, King of the Turians.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
@TheEroica said:

@magicalclick: no chance... My guess is all new everything... The last cast will be diafied in the new game. Shepard is basically Neil Armstrong with a machine gun...

The Asari can be like a 1000 years old? Maybe one of them show up? Like Aria or something (forgot how old she was in the original trilogy). Meh, I guess it would be a bit forced.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheEroica  Moderator

@magicalclick: I've thought about this alot and my only real hope with building a character is that you remain human... No alien species as a main character please.

Here's why... I've played through the mass effect trilogy several times... Done every single thing imaginable in that game (except flip the mako... I have a friend who claims he can but I've never seen it)

every bit of dialog in the first game centers around humanities place in the galactic neighborhood... The Drew karphysian books, his writing centers around our place as newcomers to the Galaxy. It allows the game to talk raceial issues, as well as being that species who now finds themselves as very small fish in a very large pond... Those overtones resonate with me... I don't want to be any species, I want to be a character. A human character now dealing with our place in a new galaxy.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEroica  Moderator

@Sushiglutton: this is true... Asari, being the most evolved of the milked way species can live hundreds of years. Maybe Liara as an aged Matriarch? Hmm....

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mjorh

@TheEroica said:

I hope "more freedom" isn't the UBIsoft brand of more freedom. Because Mass Effect is a story driven game that COULD translate to open world well, but if they stuff full of mindless, weightless and insignificant side missions, they won't win any love from me. I want a thick new story with characters and narrative that grab me the way the first trilogy did...

Yeah i never thought about that , let's hope they don't take that approach.

i hope they can come close to Mass Effect 2 ....i don't care if it's not fully RPG or sth ....i want sth epic like ME2 with a perfect ending.

@mr_huggles_dog said:

How is that early 2017?

That smack dab in the middle. Got my hopes up TC.

lmao :v tried to fix that but it didn't allow me to.

What do you mean by "how's that early 2017" ?

@TheEroica said:

lol

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mr_Huggles_dog

@mjorh: June is in the middle of the year. When you said early 2017 I was thinking Jan, Feb, or March.....I was all giddy.

Then you crushed my hopes and dreams.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@Sushiglutton: this is true... Asari, being the most evolved of the milked way species can live hundreds of years. Maybe Liara as an aged Matriarch? Hmm....

Liara can be killed in Mass Effect 3

@the-a-baum said:

The first was pretty good but the ME2 was just awesome. What got me so hooked were all the details of the decisions of the past following you and changing the story.

I hope they can pull that off again.

ME3 did this better than ME2 did.

@heguain said:

You mean their most overrated games.

DAO was a very conservative play it safe RPG with tremendous balance issues.

ME2 has a very lousy plot hole ridden main story, with plot elements introduced that caused the series some trouble. The way ME3 bases more of the choices from ME2's loyalty missions and ME1 is telling.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mjorh

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mjorh: June is in the middle of the year. When you said early 2017 I was thinking Jan, Feb, or March.....I was all giddy.

Then you crushed my hopes and dreams.

oh you got it wrong lmao

By "June 12" i meant the upcoming EA conference which they're gonna show off new stuff of the game

It's set to release on early 2017 (yeah like in Jan 2017 or sth :D)

Sry for the confusion i caused :D

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mjorh

@texasgoldrush: You are back at it again , harping on ME franchise ....give it a break :D

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@texasgoldrush: ... And Rex can be killed in mass effect 1... The point wasn't who canelive or die, it's could there theoretically be a return of a first trilogy character... Given the asari lifespan there could.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mjorh

@TheEroica: Given how much you've invested in this franchise and of course your avatar, is it your fav franchise and is ME2 your fav game of all time? :D

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

At this point I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. Bioware has lost a lot of notable employees lately and Dragon Age Inquisition was hot garbage. I did love the Mass Effect trilogy though so I'm interested.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mjorh

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

At this point I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. Bioware has lost a lot of notable employees lately and Dragon Age Inquisition was hot garbage. I did love the Mass Effect trilogy though so I'm interested.

I'm on the same bout with you ....but it's ME...so i'm keeping myself excited ....it'd be a such a bummer if it flops *sighs*

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mr_Huggles_dog

@mjorh: ohhhhh....I admit I didn't read the post....I just saw where you said can't wait till June and thought you meant it's coming out June 2017.

YOU RESTORED MY HOPES AND DREAMS!!!

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mjorh

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mjorh: ohhhhh....I admit I didn't read the post....I just saw where you said can't wait till June and thought you meant it's coming out June 2017.

YOU RESTORED MY HOPES AND DREAMS!!!

*chuckles*

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@mjorh: haha... I am very fond of Mass Effect. I followed it from the very first whispers of a new Bioware ip and I very much champion the game. It delivered in so many ways for me... It was probably my favorite video game story arch to date as well, even with its flaws. I liked it's brand of Sci fi alot.

The first game is my favorite. Independent Bioware was on to something more rewarding, to me, but didn't execute it's vision the way mass effect 2 did... But still, there have been missed opportunities to further enrich the characters place and relevance in this massive video game universe through the more sharply focused 2nd and 3rd games...

The suicide mission was the best moments of the trilogy though. Brilliantly done.

In the end I'm rooting for Andromeda to be expansive and possibility rich without being cliche and drab. The Mako for example... What a great thing to have on a planet for exploration but with such little to do...

I want mass effect to make me feel like I'm a pioneer of space exploration again... Not a super soldier.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@TheEroica said:

@DragonfireXZ95: Dragon age inquisition was the 2014 game of the year...

Mass Effect 3 is a 93 on metacritic...

I think the fictional narrative that Bioware isn't producing great games is as shallow as it gets.

I guess my standards are just higher. I thought Mass Effect 3 was pretty mediocre to downright poor in some respects. It was decent until about halfway through when the dialogue petered out and seemed phoned in, not only in writing, but also in delivery. Then, the combat was just bland the whole way through.

By the way, ME 3 is only an 89 for PC version, with a 5.5 user score. Different standards, I guess.

Same with DAI. 85 PC version and 5.8 user score. I'm not the only one who felt this way.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@DragonfireXZ95: I think it gets a bad rap, but I also don't disagree with the reasons people don't like the third chapter...

My feelings are that mass effect proved it's story telling worth based on the passionate hatred it got over the missed opportunities with wrapping up the overall story arch. Beneath that though, mass effect 3 is not a bad game by any stretch. It had wonderful moments... Dr. Mordin Solus and the Genophage... Liara and the final moments before the attack on London. There is a very thick, dare I say "too" thick of a narrative going on in the final 10 hours of that game... You had loose ends everywhere that needed to be addressed happening at the same time.

I like to think it had really great moments and some really poorly missed opportunities. Still... A 93 is pretty incredible company to be in. I fear what Bioware could become with eas influence, but I can't say that I didn't dump over 100 hours apiece in DAI and ME3 (the excellent team based horde multi-player alone was worth the money for a casual online MP guy like myself).

Mass Effect Andromeda is a game that will determine whether Bioware is still a uniquely story driven developer with some really cool ideas and moments, or whether they're more paint by numbers as some feel they're becoming.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95

@TheEroica: I will agree with you, they had a great thing going. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 and 2.

We'll just have to see what's in store for the next Bioware game. I'm not writing it off completely, but I'm not insanely hyped, either.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@DragonfireXZ95: I think it gets a bad rap, but I also don't disagree with the reasons people don't like the third chapter...

My feelings are that mass effect proved it's story telling worth based on the passionate hatred it got over the missed opportunities with wrapping up the overall story arch. Beneath that though, mass effect 3 is not a bad game by any stretch. It had wonderful moments... Dr. Mordin Solus and the Genophage... Liara and the final moments before the attack on London. There is a very thick, dare I say "too" thick of a narrative going on in the final 10 hours of that game... You had loose ends everywhere that needed to be addressed happening at the same time.

I like to think it had really great moments and some really poorly missed opportunities. Still... A 93 is pretty incredible company to be in. I fear what Bioware could become with eas influence, but I can't say that I didn't dump over 100 hours apiece in DAI and ME3 (the excellent team based horde multi-player alone was worth the money for a casual online MP guy like myself).

Mass Effect Andromeda is a game that will determine whether Bioware is still a uniquely story driven developer with some really cool ideas and moments, or whether they're more paint by numbers as some feel they're becoming.

This is the same fanbase that praises Mass Effect 2 despite some of the major flaws it has, and hypocritically bash Mass Effect 3 for its flaws while praising the first two games. As a fan of the series, I do admit that the fanbase simply isn't to bright. They expect cliché stories and cliché endings, and the Bioware formula. Any deviation outrages them as well as any time they do not get the outcome they want.

While the original ending was indeed badly undercooked and now since fixed, much of these dumb or conservative fans, simply used to power fantasy and Bioware cliché, do not like it. There is no cop out deus ex machina like there was in Dragon Age Origins and ME3 follows through its darker themes unlike ME2 and DAO. People who get it realize that Shepard beat the Reapers intellectually, through ideas, basically rendering their plans moot, not just by destroying them. It goes over the head of fans ready to wank of to Shepards romance with Liara or Tali.

And in many important aspects such as characterization (and I mean squadmate to squadmate relations and character development), mission design, main plot, and combat, ME3 is a much better game than ME2.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

All aboard the hype train!

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Fucking Bioware, just show some game play footage already you sissies...

Just a side note, I hope the female characters in Andromeda look better than that of Dragon age inquisition. Sick of these manly female characters, take a page from CDProjektRED and stop trying to avoid criticism from the feminists.